How Can I Escape My Verbally Abusive Spouse?

QUESTION:

"My partner is verbally abusing me and my children. I know I need to move out but I don't have the money for the downpayment of an apartment. i want to leave and I feel like the longer I am letting my kids stay here, the harder it is for them."

RELATED: Mom Pens Open Letter About Giving Birth For The First Time While Having COVID-19 And Pneumonia

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Find a domestic violence house, verbal abuse is domestic violence. You and your children can live there safely. Attend all the groups, find out about all resources, including court services. I’ve been in the same situation."

"I stayed in a verbally and mentally abusive relationship for 18 years before I finally had the courage to get up and leave. It was hard and I was able to stay with a family member but my ex wouldn’t let me take the kids. I stuck it out and got on my own finally and my kids are now 23 and 20 and they look back and tell me they know why I left. It’s was hard cause I stayed for my kids but if you're not happy ur kids aren’t happy!! It was the best decision I ever made."

"Reach out 2 your local police dept or a church for resources asap, Hunny. It only gets worse."

"There’s a domestic violence hotline you can call, you need to get out. Trust me, it will be the best thing you do."

"Go to a domestic violence shelter. Reach out to the local churches for possible resources."

"First photocopy all important documents … birth certificates and so on. Hide them and any other valuable paperwork and your ID in a safe place. Pack a bag for each child and yourself also hide them away from your home. Contact a shelter and they will guide you. Having these things in a safe place, let's get you out fast. I wish you so much luck… look into a shelter ASAP! If your safety is threatened call 911."

"Do you have family you can reach out to? I’ve been there and trust me you need to get out ASAP. It can cause damage beyond repair to you and your kids mental states…"

"Safe space helped me and my kids. I’m sure they can help you with anything you need to get started."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: