How to escape a verbally abusive spouse?

My partner is verbally abusing me and my children. I know I need to move out but I dont have the money for the downpayment of an apartment. i want to leave and I feel like the longer I am letting my kids stay here, the harder it is for them.
71 Likes

Find a domestic violence house, verbal abuse is domestic violence.You and your children can live there safely. Attend all the groups, find out about all resources, including court services. I’ve been in the same situation.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to escape a verbally abusive spouse? - Mamas Uncut

Call a shelter they will help you

1 Like

Reach out 2 your local police dept or a church for resources asap hunny. It only gets worse.

4 Likes

There’s a domestic violence hotline you can call, you need to get out. Trust me,it will be the best thing you do

1 Like

LEAVE asap for your children’s sake and your health .:exclamation:

2 Likes

check out local agencies churches shelters there is help out there

1 Like

Go to a domestic violence shelter. Reach out to the local churches for possible resources.

4 Likes

Contact your local housing authority and they should be able to help you find emergency housing.

4 Likes

I stayed in a verbally and mentally abusive relationship for 18 years before I finally had the courage to get up and leave. It was hard and I was able to stay with a family member but my ex wouldn’t let me take the kids. I stuck it out and got on my own finally and my kids are now 23 and 20 and they look back and tell me they know why I left. It’s was hard cause I stayed for my kids but if ur not happy ur kids aren’t happy!! It was the best decision I ever made

6 Likes

Are you asking for $ ? Donors need more information

You have no family that take you in? There are services that can you and shelters. It’s definitely not good for them. It will affect them for life. Been there done that. You have to get out one way or another.

1 Like

First photo copy all important documents … birth certificates and so on. Hide them and any other valuable paper work and Ypur ID in a safe place. Pack a bag for each child and yourself also hide them away from your home. Contact a shelter and they will guide you. Having these things in a safe place let’s you get out fast. I wish you so much luck… look into a shelter ASAP! If your safety is threatened call 911

7 Likes

Speak with a lawyer as well.

1 Like

Shelter. The longer you let your children hear this the more likely they will continue the pattern.

2 Likes

You are an idiot if you don’t leave

3 Likes

Food stamps office can help with DV situation

Family or friends…my mom. Would take us to grandparents and then they get back and break up again…finally stayed with grandparents on a trailer until 18 and moved on my own… my mom would have been killed had she not finally left

1 Like

My life changed for the good from 10 to 18

1 Like

Get out call ur family n make arrangements. It’s hard but it’s worth it in the long run. No one needs to put up with that

1 Like

Do you have family you can reach out to? I’ve been there and trust me you need to get out ASAP. It can cause damage beyond repair to you and your kids mental states…

1 Like

I have an adult granddaughter going through this it’s her BF her baby’s daddy!Hes in the lease and has renter rights !its so harmful to all involved can u get help from your state ?Turn a protective order against him ?

1 Like

Safe space helped me and my kids. I’m sure they can help you with anything you need to get started.

3 Likes

Cut him off, live like roommates

Contact your nearest domestic violence organization, or battered women’s shelter and maybe they can direct you.

6 Likes

Shelters are apartments. They can help you find a job,get a vehicle,etc… Can get on food stamps and Medicaid. Pack bags and hide them and all important documents until have it set up to leave.

2 Likes

Survivor here;

1. look for a family member or shelter to take you in
  2. receive help and conquer codependency so u don’t make the same decision all over again
  3. self care. There is a way out of this. It is hard work but I’m a success story!
  4. pray which is really number one
2 Likes

There are services you can go through!! I was physically and mentally abused for years, and it took me 15 years to finally run. You just have to look up your state, there is help!! God bless you and your babies!!:heart:

1 Like

Safe space can help you, even hide you if needed. I went through the same thing. They even can help you get an Order Of Protection. I did this too.

1 Like

Im going through the same exact thing.

1 Like

Even a homeless shelter would be better than that. Go to a women’s and kids shelter and the will help you get an apartment and help you with getting daycare and all that kind of stuff. You got this mama!!! You can do It!!!

3 Likes

Go to a shelter’at least you R safe.

It’s only gonna get worse honey. Find a shelter for women and children. They’ll help u get on your feet.

3 Likes

Go to a women’s shelter.

1 Like

Contact friends or family and go u don’t need to wait

3 Likes

Been there… Called police on him one night when he was drinking. Had him removed, got a restraining order, filed for divorce. He had to continue to pay for the house until I was able to buy his half. 14 years later I’m very happy now and still have my house! Good luck! You’ll make the move when you’re ready… it took me a long time.

3 Likes

Google domestic violence groups, they will help. You may have to stay in a shelter until they can get you a place. I was a kid when my mom took us to a domestic violence shelter , and it was the best thing she ever did. Finally getting the courage to leave. I don’t think my mind could of stayed in that situation for long. It’s harder on kids to stay and witness. We didn’t stay in the shelter very long. They helped my mom relocate and got her an apartment.

You could even pull up to a police department and ask to speak to an officer and they will point you in the right direction.

3 Likes

I’ve been through this it is rough but gets better after leaving you will see

SafeSpace is what we have here for battered women. Verbal abuse is still abuse.

Call 211 (or whatever number it is in your state for resources) and let them know you’re escaping a DV situation.

Even if it’s verbal, it’s still DV

1 Like

There is free help talk to the Church they have connections

1 Like

Domestic abuse hotline

Go to a women and children shelter! This it’s what they do and have the resources to help you get on your feet

1 Like

Verbal abuse can be way worse than physical Ur poor babies

2 Likes

If you have any family or friends close that would take you and the kids in, do it now. If not, as much as it would suck, try to get into a shelter. That will get you and the kids out of that situation and shelters are set up to help you get back on your feet. They will help you find a job if you need one, child care. They also have resources and connections to community resources to help you get a place and get set up. At least that’s how it is here in Maryland. Bottom line is get out, as soon as possible, any way possible. Those situations tend to escalate. Good luck!

Hopes Door will help you out

1 Like

Homeless shelters are usually full, in bad areas of town. With sketchy people. Absolutely if you can, and need to, great. But verbal abuse is a small step away from physical abuse and provoking abusers is dangerous territory. Reach out to DV support and build up a plan. Keep you and your children as busy as possible and like i said before. If ya need to, go for a shelter but its not a guaranteed safer place, and you might leave him and end up with no where to go which abusers thrive on

2 Likes

Get an order of protection and put him out!

Call a DV agency like the YWCA. Grab the most prescious belongings you have. Maybe a neighbor can hold onto a few boxes. Go into a shelter. They will help you find a place to live, possibly help you with housing assistance & move in costs. It’s not pleasant & can be scary. But in the long run it’s better than staying in an abusive relationship. You’ll wish you did it sooner.

1 Like

Get out and go to a shelter! They will help you until you can afford to get a place and even help you get a place.

1 Like

Reach out to family and friends, hopefully someone can put you and the kids up until you get sorted. Good luck

2 Likes

Leave and stay with family.

Trust. Me. Get them. Out of. There. If. You can. Hide. Bc. Some money some. How. But you. Need. To. Get. Them kids. Away. Three. If my kids. Won’t. Even. Talk to me my daughter treats. Me. Like. My abuser. And he. Died and. He. Ended. Up being a king to. Them.

1 Like

Got hit for years, leaving was the best thing i did, happier now then i ever been😁

2 Likes

This is why i left my ex husband, tookmy 2 small children packed up my van and left , with no where to go … it was a struggle for a while but I knew a little bit of struggle would outweight the longterm benefit. Almost 5 years later and We are doing better than ever. Praying for your strength. You have to do whats best for your children :heartpulse:

8 Likes

Keep to your plan. You can do it💕 maybe call around to see of you can get some help. Best wishes💕 it’s the right thing and you can do it!

1 Like

When you do grocery shopping get $20 cash back start buying generic brands and getting the equivalent in cash back in those that way he doesn’t notice too much money going to fast.

I’stash it away not all on the same spot.

Next start selling items on Facebook marketplace old clothes shoes handbags you don’t need etc. put that money away. M
Also with school right around the corner start going to your neighbors and see if there’s anything you can do turn some money

cutting the grass grass, basic house cleaning and stash that away

4 Likes

You’re a spouse, not a renter, he thinks he can bully you into leaving but if you take advantage of the protections most states offer then his abuse his more than enough to protect you and the children and remove him from the space while you plan your next move

7 Likes

Contact women’s shelter for assistance

3 Likes

Contact a woman’s shelter

1 Like
2 Likes

Do you receive EBT/SNAP, WIC any of that stuff? If you do try telling your caseworker and asking for resources. If you don’t, you can still call DSS and ask for resources. Look for a domestic violence shelter opposed to a homeless shelter. If your child is in school ask the school counselor or talk to the liaison office.

3 Likes

Even selling palette on the street is successful, if a friend or relative can help you, ask for help, be careful that it begins with verbal violence but it can become physical.

2 Likes

What everyone else has said. Make a plan. If you have a cell phone in his name get a track phone or something like that. If you have someone you trust… family or friend get the kids birth certificates n any other important papers ( bank statements, social security cards for all of you, insurance card, car registration mortgage papers) n put them in a backpack along with a change of clothes for each of you in case you have to leave quickly. If you don’t feel safe have a friend or family come n help you pack your things n if necessary call the police n ask they come n stand guard while you pack. Write down important numbers n put them in your wallet. Drs, school if your kids are old enough, friends. If you are taking your car get an extra set of keys n put them in a safe place. Keep it gassed up. Don’t wear anything your partner can use to hurt you. Necklace, scarf… teach your kids to dial 911. Change your phone no if it’s in your name. If you work alter how you go to work, shop at different stores…alert the school of the situation, contact the police. They know where the shelters are. Keep a journal of the abuse. Include dates n times n what was said. Have a plan B I case you can’t take the car.

It made a big dent in my kids growing up, after 23 years of marriage I finally moved on, now they blame me, when I’m the one who worked to supported them,

1 Like

Ah pero es que tú eres panelista en inglés de este segmento, Dra. Simó Brea

1 Like

211.org will help u find the resources u need

Lady I left the same situation a Lil over a week ago. Call a shelter. You got this get them babies out before it escalates bc it will eventually.

2 Likes

Look for help at your local woman’s shelter and be safe

3 Likes

Try a shelter for abused families. They can provide a place for you to stay and help you find resources to help you get on your feet. They also provide counseling for you and your children.

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to escape a verbally abusive spouse? - Mamas Uncut

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I recently went through something similar. I was fortunate that I did have the money to get my own place. My suggestion is to save up for a deposit on a place of your own. A lot of apartments change an application fee or initial deposit but the bulk of the money isn’t due until you move in. So call around and figure out your options. But the most important thing is that you leave as soon as you can. Hugs, momma. :yellow_heart:

Why do you need to leave? If he worries you to the point that he can hurt you or your kids where usually verbal abuse can go down that route, then you can put a restraining order on him and he must leave and seek help and you can get family counseling and see if the family has a chance to get back together but sometimes that doesn’t work out. But, you don’t need to leave. He needs to leave. Verbal abuse is toxic and it affects both you and your children massively. Talk to him, and tell him it’s time to go and you guys need time off and if you need someone to be there, you can always call non emergency and have them be present when you tell him or take out a restraining order on him and have the police serve him and he has to leave at that very moment. You just need to make sure you make it clear that you fear for your children and yourself because matters like this can lead to violence. Even if it’s not at that point yet, it has a chance it can.

3 Likes

Go to a woman’s shelter… Abuse is abuse. Mine was verbal and emotional, I went to a women’s shelter for a couple of months till I got a job and was able to move on my own.

4 Likes

There is a lot of rental assistance programs right now. Look into one near you. They can help you with a deposit and a few months rent. You can also reach out to your local dhs office and ask them for help. They have grants for people leaving abusive situations.

Look for a domestic violence center they will help advocate for you as well as connect you with programs that can help with rent

1 Like

Please what ever it takes you need to get out, your children will grow up thinking this is normal and Lord we know it is not .

1 Like

A woman’s shelter, if you don’t know where they are you can go to any police station or even the assistance office to ask how to get in touch with them. I been there so I feel for you, many prayers and well wishes mama

apply for hud or section 8 if u bave no income or very little

Get a PFA against him! Kick him out!!!

change the locks while he’s out but make sure you have a restraining order served on him

Reach out to some womens shelters in your area, they usually help with kids as well, if your not sure how to contact them your local police station should have some info

1 Like

There are resources just about everywhere. Local churches, doctors offices, community groups, the hospital, community action offices, women’s shelters, hotlines to call. There is so much out there that can either help directly or help get you the assistance you need.
Speaking from personal experience, please go asap. There is never a “good” time. That type of person never changes. And the longer you wait the more damage he is doing and the harder it is for you and your children to recover from it. Please make sure that therapy is included in your recovery for both you and the kids.
I wish you all the best!

39 Likes

If you’re stuk go 2 winz they shd help with bond. there is emergency housing.
If u save 10 a wk thatl take u bout 2 years . There’s othere ways to help ur selves specially the kids

1 Like

Start saving back some grocery money, little by little. If using a card always get cash back of $5-$10 where ever you use it, and stash it as soon as you get home. You’ll have that down payment saved up in no time.

18 Likes

Save, save, save. You’ll make it. When you go to the grocery store, buy a visa gift card. Take small withdrawls, they add up quick. If your abuser controlled the finances, unfortunately you’ll have no choice but to be sneaky. He’s not going to hand you your freedom. You know way too much about him.

2 Likes

Get a part time job save up move in silence

2 Likes

Not sure if there is one where you live But There is a place called Safe Home where I live. You can see if you have one.

1 Like

Call your local battered women’s center. They have all kinds of resources. 1st step in your plan to get the hell out there!

1 Like

Call your doctor tell them you don’t feel safe.

If you like in WA, you can get a bond loan and it comes out of your Centrelink payments. I’d imagine they have something similar in the other states. Although if you don’t get Centrelink, a women’s shelter may be helpful!

6 Likes

Do you have any family around? Go to adult abused center. Need to get out now! Dont wait!

2 Likes

Keep a journal and log EVERYTHING incase you have to go to court and fight for custody as well

25 Likes

Take on another job, anything you can do to get that deposit money+

1 Like

I’m not sure where you are located but St.Vincet De Paul Stores are meant to help people in need. If any in your area I’d contact them. They can possibly help with a security deposit along with first month rent.

I was in a 13 year relationship with an alcoholic, verbally and physically abusive husband. It take a lot of pride, being scared and vulnerability to ask for help. I had to leave everything with no money and left with my kid and stayed at my parents house till I lawyered up and was able to get financial support. It’s been 6 years now and I’m so much happier and healthier. It was really rough the first year but it gets better over time.

12 Likes

All these people saying save money are deluded or have never been in the position where someone else controls your life, there is no time to save money, get those kids out now! Get yourself out now! Verbal abuse does the same if not more damage than physical abuse… take your kids and get help!

15 Likes