How Can I Explain to My 8-Year-Old That Santa Won't Be Bringing Expensive Things This Year?

Told my little one santa only brings small meaning ful presents

2 Likes

I don’t agree with telling her it depends on how good she’s been, she might think she wasn’t good, that’s really my concern, the gifts well they are usually happy with what they get that they don’t bother with what they don’t get, but every child is different and we raise them different so…

1 Like

Do your best❤️. Prayers.

Santa Brings one gift! That’s it. My kids are 6 and 10 they think we’re elves or Santa’s helpers. :rofl::pray::pray:Do elf on the shelf and restore her innocence. Those kids are YouTube get free things to review. It’s not realistic. I explained it to my kids and they understood. Get her off of YouTube and back into the real world

2 Likes

Santa only brings little tokens in our house , mummy/daddy/ grandparents buy the Big pressies… this way we get the thankyous and they can’t brag about what “Santa” brought them to other children. (Santa’s a dick getting all the credit anyways lol😂 ). X

1 Like

Someone once told me to tell them that Santa brings the gifts, but mom and dad foot the bill. So Santa knows to only get things mom and dad can afford

Santa only bring one small gift in my house he also fills the stocking with little bits and the rest of the stuff from us

2 Likes

I tell my kids that we send Santy the money for the presents. So if we can’t afford it we’re covered then. U can get ear pods for €25 on Amazon and stuff and they work great.

1 Like

I tell mine shes not allowed to ask for too much cause santa has to carry for everyone and cant be too expensive cause he has a limit for every child :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t have said that I would explain that not everyone as the money these kids do.

You pay towards Santa and you cant afford all those things.
Plus this year with covid they wont be able to make as much. We need to think of all the boys and girls and pick one big thing few small.
Please dont say it depends on how good she is.

I dont let my kid watch those videos anymore. Those kids are paid to have that stuff and to advertise it on youtube

I say we pay the elfs for their work :joy::joy: keeps things from getting extortionate

In our house santa only gives chocolate and hat scarf and gloves my children are told we buy the rest and send them to santa to bring Xmas eve.

My sons 5, he knows his big gifts come from momma n daddy and small stuff comes from Santa. Explain that too her, 8 she should understand. If she ask why you never told her that before tell her u wanted it to feel more magical but now ur mature enuff to know the truth.

I always tell my son that even thought Santa brings the gifts the one who pays for them. He writes his letter to Santa and I give the money to him. The elves make the gifts and Santa sprinkles some magic on them and bring them to him on Christmas Eve. He’s 5.

In our home, Santa brings one special gift. That way he has room for all the other presents. Mommy and family get him the rest

1 Like

We say we send money to santa so the elves can make things…so they appreciate the value of what there getting a little more.

I’ve always told my kids, yes Santa brings you’re presents but mum and dad have to buy them first.

We say that we send the money to santa, then he decides if they’ve been good enough to use it for whatever, if not he sends it back, just explain that money is short this year so you can’t afford to send him the money for the bigger items

1 Like

I chose to tell my kids that parents have to send Santa money for electronics bc the elfs can’t make them. So when they go to picking out the pricey stuff i remind them of this. When i do buy the big ticket stuff I never put its from Santa. My son who is 10 asked for a dirt bike. My hours at work got cut so i wont be able to get him one for Christmas now. But i will when my hours pick back up. He understands n isn’t upset.

3 Likes

My dad said he shot Santa coming down the chimney and we ate the Easter Bunny. We survived. I let my son put milk and cookies out for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. My hubby got the milk and cookies and I got the carrots. We had our son sort through his toys before Christmas to donate to other kids. We bought lightly used toys when we could. We put $5 a week away for Christmas for him. So he got at least one new toy for his birthday which was the 15th of December and one for Christmas.

4 Likes

That’s why I encourage other parents to say the expensive gifts are from family and Santa brings things like puzzles, clothes, games, or things in the lower price range. That way they don’t think that they’ve been naughty because Santa brought them a board game and the neighbor an Xbox. But, not all parents think that way. My kids know that this year will be tight and that it’s not a reflection on their behavior or on how much we love them. They know we would give them the world if we could but we’re in the process of buying a house so we’ll buy what they need throughout the year, along with a few gifts each to open Christmas morning. I have 3 amazing daughters… We make memories like building gingerbread houses, volunteering, holiday movie night w/popcorn and hot chocolate, sledding riding, (weather permitting) decorating and making dinner together. Those things are as important to my kids as the gifts. They always have things to open but we don’t go in debt over it. Our plan this year is to get them each a special gift (something they’ve been asking for) and then a few smaller things and clothes that they need. Their grandparents also give gifts so between the whole family, they’ll end up with plenty.

5 Likes

I would have her choose what she REALLY , REALLY wants & try to have Santa bring that. Of course he will bring smaller gifts too. I don’t know if I would tell her it depends on her behavior: just re-emphasize that Santa knows if she is being “naughty or nice” (just a thought)

just to explain to her that Santa tries to keep everything fair for every boy and girl and it’s not logical for all the children in the world to have large items like that that’s why big items come from Mom or Dad.

2 Likes

I didn’t raise my boys to believe in Santa. My family was poor growing up. I can remember sitting at the window wondering why Santa didn’t come to our house. I was a single Mom of 3 boy’s. I didn’t want them to go through what I did. They always got something, sometimes it was just a few toys apiece from the Dollar store. They never complained about what they got and was thankful. All 3 have grown into fine young men that I’m proud of and all 3 have done good for them selves. For me it was teaching them that Christmas was about the birth of Jesus not about a man called Santa.

16 Likes

I tell my. Kids.
That Santa and I have communication and I don’t want him getting big expensive gifts because BIG GIFTS come from me for your birthday or etc.
Something else I tell them that Santa & his elves make the gifts they can and the youtube lies & sells things so you cannot believe everything from t.v

I told my son Santa wasn’t real at a young age and honestly he still loves Christmas just the same as the kids who believe in Santa. Make it more about family tradition instead of present. Though I did have to do clean up when he went an told cousin Santa wasn’t real :rofl::rofl::rofl::woman_facepalming:t5:

I tell my kids that Santa does not have the ability to make Apple stuff and whatnot. Anything we decide to give them that cost a lot comes from us. If we cant afford it that year, I can explain that easier then santa

Tell them Santa can’t fly due to the pandemic and you’ll do your best to make them happy

4 Likes

I would find cost effective versions of what she wants on her list. Honestly in the end she wants ear buds or a gaming system of some kind. Nintendo switch lite isn’t that expensive and I’m sure there will be a deal at some point during the holidays.

1 Like

We use the Santa sacks and I’ve told them Santa only brings one thing around 20 dollars because there is soo many kids around the world and it has to fit in the sack .its worked this far kids are 9,5 it’s been about 3 years doing it ww fill shoe boxs for kids in other countries and they wanted to no why cant santa just bring them gifts and that’s when I started implementing this mmy son also watchable YouTube I tell my son some parents say everything is from santa so that he seems cooler then he really is …m hes never questioned it

Please whatever you do don’t tell your daughter it depends on how good she is as she will be devastated to think she did something bad if she doesn’t get what she asked for.

I tell my kids that Santa cannot bring all the expensive things bcuz he has to take care of it all of the children. I let them know bigger gifts come from Mommy and I’m not rich. She could be testing as well bcuz of the age of believe or not to believe.

I told my kids we have a rule in our home. Santa doesnt do electronics. That is on mom and dad. We explained to santa that its our call what kind of electronics they are allowed to have based on how responsible amd good they are

1 Like

My 10 year old sons list consisted on this last year
PS 4
iPhone 10
Air pods
Laptop
And $200 cash…

I told him that Santa can’t do that kind of stuff all over the world since some countries are really poor and that he needed to add realistic gifts too.
Which he did nerf guns, legos etc. It’s hard with the generation where they are watching those spoiled kids walk in the store and buy carts full of stuff like it’s nothing

I told my kids that Santa bring the stockings and we buy the gifts because he is very busy and doesn’t have the technology in the North Pole for electronics and such. I said you can ask him for something simple that his elves can make. I have girls so it would be a doll or teddy bear. Nothing expensive. They accepted that. They’re older now so they know I do the stockings now.

Puzzles, home made toys, etc are from Santa…expensive gifts are from the parents.

My family still does stocking for ALL in the house, its an easy place to stick a small gift into…and filled with our favorite candies, etc.

1 Like

I told my daughter that Santa doesn’t bring the big stuff that’s the parent’s decision depends on her behavior and school work all year… She really doesn’t ask for much big ticket items.

1 Like

If you get one then on Christmas morning say you got that for her and not Santa cause he dont make things like that, if he did then every child would have one. Santa is humble and wants to make people happy the best way he can.

Tell her that with this Corona virus pandemic, Santa had to cut down on the work force and wasn’t able to make as many gifts this year.

Priest who left coins in young girls shoes who are old enough to marry and didn’t have a dowry. Also the birth of Christ. I never got presents from Santa, always wondered why I wasn’t good enough. I didn’t want my boys thinking they weren’t good enough. My sons are good men they have good family’s. I have 13, grandchildren, 4 great grand kids. I’m blessed.

There’s no right or wrong answer you know your child better than anyone follow what’s in your heart and you’ll have the answer , good luck momma🙏

My grandbaby want a walking and talk baby doll I hope Santa bring her one she 4 year money is on tight this year

I didn’t lie to my kids. I told them the story of Santa Clause. Also about the

Get knock off brands if you can. ONN at Walmart makes ear pods just like the apple ones (they are like 15 bucks) and Walmart also has tablets with the keyboards for like 80 bucks (It’s a laptop for kids with smaller hands :wink:). Make those be her big gifts. She will get 2 of the things she mentioned and it’ll give you a year to save up for the Nintendo Switch. I will get you the links.

Mine is doing the same thing and I have found things on Amazon similar but a lot cheaper

Tell your daughter the truth. Santa doesn’t exist.

I saw this and loved it…

1 Like

There’s a post going around and I think it’s brilliant! Tell the kids that Santa brings the little things and whatever is BIG, own that mom and dad! Tell them that you bought it because as many here know, some parents can’t afford all the expensive stuff so it’s not fair to say that Santa bought it

22 Likes

I tell my kids santa doesn’t bring that stuff to our house because he knows we enjoy being together most of all and those things tend to be “play by yourself” toys. So instead he brings toys, games, or clothes that don’t separate us from each other.

79 Likes

My parent used to explain to their 6 kids that Mom and Dad had to send money to Santa, because there were so many kids. So the amount of presents would be limited. I do think it’s best to be honest with kids. If you can’t get her much, let her know. She has to make choices. It’s the lot of most of us in life. She can understand. Just try her and see.

1 Like

Santa shouldn’t bring those things Santa should bring some toys, clothes, educational stuff. Parents are the ones buying the expensive things. We do one big or expensive thing.

8 Likes

My daughter asked me one Christmas morning why Santa didn’t bring all the dolls she asked ya broke my heart never thought to say u don’t get everything u ask for I had to explain Santa only brings a couple of presents mom and dad buy the rest I would say Santa doesn’t bring electronics and mom and dad can’t afford them but she will get some nice gifts

9 Likes

I agree with not telling your kids the more expensive gifts come from Santa…they should be from you or other family members…Santa can bring the stocking stuffers and smaller items.

32 Likes

My friend had the best way. He told his kids that Santa brought the gifts but worked out a payment plan with the parents. Therefore you could only receive what your parents could afford.

12 Likes

I would never tell my child or grandchildren that what they get for Christmas depends on how good they have been. It just sets them up never being good enough. Children need to know where their gifts come and the Love that is put into the gift because they are special and loved

6 Likes

If you get her anything remotely expensive write mom and dad on it so kids who she goes to school with don’t feel bad when she says Santa brought me this and that. The kids who’s parents can’t afford expensive gifts start to question why they only got one thing while other kids got Apple earbuds

4 Likes

Santa never brought those expensive things to our house. He brought small nice things but never did my kids get hurt or angry that he didn’t . But then again we didn’t let the kids have but one expensive thing an then the rest was nice small things an clothing . We always tried to give our kids a nice Christmas but it wasn’t about the price of things they loved opening blankets , board games , an just any thing that was suited to them an their interests

2 Likes

I told our kids we had to give Santa money for the presents…other wise how can you explain that Santa plays favorites. …some kids getting $100"s of dollars of parents and mine use to get $25 or so…

1 Like

I always told my kids that sants followed the psrents rules and that my rules did not allow expensive gifts.

19 Likes

Santa doesn’t bring expensive stuff in our house. We get the expensive stuff if they get any out kids are 3 and almost 5 so it works for now when we tell them Santa doesn’t bring that stuff. Any toy over $30-$40Santa doesn’t bring.
But don’t tell her it depends on how good she is then she will think she was bad even if she wasn’t.

Also tell her she can save up for it. Make it fun decorating a jar or box or something to put the money in she saves and if you all do happen to get the money you can buy it for her (from y’all not her money unless she does save that much) and she can keep on saving to buy accessories.

5 Likes

We had a Santa who really looked the part. When my kids were little they saw him selling magazines
And wondered why. We told them he had to work during the summer to buy the materials to make the toys. So when they didn’t get everything they wanted we just told them he did not earn enough money to make enough for everyone. It seemed to satisfy them.

4 Likes

I told my kids that I had to pay for half so if they asked for something expensive I wouldn’t be able to buy them any other gifts. That helped to where they really thought about what they were asking for.

2 Likes

I NEVER told my kids Santa brings them gifts. Then we don’t have to worry about them thinking Santa thinks they’re naughty on slim years.

15 Likes

Santa’s elves don’t make everything, especially electronics. “We” (parents) have to help santa out

5 Likes

When my boys were that age we lived in a very rural , farming area and there were not any rich kids . They didnt ask for expensive things but the youngest started wanting name brand clothes when he turned 9 . I would be honest and say I couldnt afford it. It is a whole other story when you are dealing with Santa. She is aware of the shutdowns because of Covid maybe just tell her Christmas will be different because of that. Sorry I dont have good advice. :frowning:

3 Likes

I never let Santa or his dad (I bought presents “from dad”, cuz dad couldn’t) get credit for the big ticket items. I had to scrimp and save for those. I got the credit. Dad got credit for Some decent gifts…Santa the little things.

4 Likes

I think a tablet is a big thing for an 8 year old.

3 Likes

I tell them that Santa has to check with us first and we don’t think they need that stuff. I also tell them Santa brings them one present. I work hard all year for some credit in this process.

9 Likes

Mine stoppes believing in Santa when they were about 5. They realized that the handwriting on the tags were momma’s. I tried saying Santa was in a hurry and asked for my help but that didn’t fly.

They never once asked why Santa brought more expensive stuff to friends and not them because I always emphasized that Christmas was not about “stuff” nor did I ever try to “keep up with the Joneses”. They got toys and games from Santa and clothes from momma and daddy.

We put too much emphasis on “stuff” today. That’s why kids ask these questions. There’s some good advice here but it boils down to how you want your child raised…with a love of “stuff” or a love of the season and the joy it brings being with family.

4 Likes

I tell my kids Santa doesn’t bring electronics. If I decide to purchase electronics, I’m getting credit for that.

5 Likes

I tell my kids that Santa delivers the gifts after I pay him for them and they are always happy with that they get. That way Santa isn’t ruined for them and they can also understand why they didn’t get expensive stuff other kids get or see on tv

4 Likes

I tell mine he can’t bring apple things because of copyright laws

8 Likes

I told my kids that i have to pay Santa’s elves… And that if it’s something allot of kids in the world are asking for that the elves may not be able to make everything in time but if I’m able I’ll try to get them what they want after Christmas…

2 Likes

I told my daughter Santa only brings what he makes in the workshop and he can make toys and clothes. I said even though he’s Santa he can’t just go in the store and take electronics because that’s stealing. I told her she has to ask me for the expensive stuff and if I can I will. I also told her she has to ask me for that stuff earlier, she can’t just wait until December to ask me. She had a few questions but she was a good sport about it and still loves Christmas. She’s a super generous kid, she takes her weekly allowance starting in November & buys everyone & their pets (treats for the pets) a gift. She won’t spend any of her allowance on herself until she has brought everyone a gift. I know times can be really tight (even more so this year). Kids are better than you think, make crafts with her & cookies, have a movie night, those are the gifts you remember when you’re older (the things you do together), I didn’t ever get expensive toys as a kid, but I wouldn’t trade my parents or my childhood for anyone else’s.

3 Likes

I told my daughter to write a letter to Santa then I told my friend to mail my daughter a letter from Santa that explained about how he has so many kids on his list and the items she wants is very popular. The letter also had other info specific to my daughter. It worked beautifully

1 Like

I always told my children that Santa brought the gifts but I paid for the gifts. That way, when they told me what they wanted from Santa, I’d say “if I can afford it.” Worked for me😊

1 Like

Since my kids were little we told them santa makes toys, not electronics. In our house santa brings 1 toy and a game or book… Everything else is from mom and dad.

1 Like

Don’t explain anything. Give her what you get her. If she doesn’t like it, take it away. I did that to my kids and told them if they don’t like it I will take them away. I did, gave them to kids that didn’t get anything or not much. They never complained again. She’s old enough to understand. I was a single parent.

1 Like

I wouldn’t take the magic of Christmas and Santa away, I would talk with her about her list and explain that this year because of the covid and so many people have been out of work, that different toys are difficult to get that Santa may not be able to get the supplies to build the toys so the Christmas list may be less,then start a new tradition, one gift that’s needed, a book to read and a gift that’s wanted, a couple items of clothing and if family members are buying a gift perhaps some of them can go together and purchase a high price gift, get age appropriate gifts not high ticket items that older kids get, be upbeat, cheerful, positive and she will be okay, don’t make a big issue over what she can’t have, also perhaps this is a good age to have her start helping to purchase a small gift or two to give to organizations that help out children who will get very little, yes parents have to help pay for toys from Santa he can’t afford to give so many toys away, and some parents aren’t working and can’t have money to help, be joyful, have a nice dinner and be thankful for the blessings your able to have. :heart:

1 Like

I told my kids that parents have to help contribute the money to Santa’s gifts. That’s why some kids at school get lots of expensive gifts while others get smaller, but special gifts.

1 Like

I always went with Santa brings special gifts and toys. The electronics are bought by the parents and it’s not in your budget.

1 Like

My kids ask that same question an I told them what’s on YouTube about kids getting expensive things is just a show trying to get more subscribers an it’s not right that they are lying to kids an that Santa does not to big gifts he does small gifts for all kids …an that Santa makes toys not ipads etc …an so far they have understood that it’s not about big gifts with Santa

1 Like

My daughter is also eight and has an iPad and such. She has never gotten anything expensive or big from Santa it always from mom and dad or nana so she didn’t even think to ask Santa for something like that.

1 Like

explain to her that not everyone gets expensive gifts but you are sure Santa will bring her something she needs and something he thinks she will like

2 Likes

I have told my children that wehave to send money to santa for there things and sometimes with all this craziness we only get small gifts or just a few

1 Like

Please DO NOT tell her it depends on hoe good shes been as to how much she will get for Christmas. Just explained to her that with all this virus going around this year that he won’t be able to bring all the expensive things. Then let her know what Christmas is really all about. The gift that God gave us. HIS SON. also maybe you can let her pick out a few less expensive things that she would like to have and tell her you will send Santa the list . Most kids like the box more than the toys that comes in them.

My mom always told me that Santa gives you one gift, and the rest are from the parents.

3 Likes

I always told my kids that mama and daddy had to pay Santa so he could only bring what we could afford. They were always happy with that, never questioned us about it. Of course we tried to get one thing that they had one their list.

1 Like

I told my kids that Santa brings everything but we have to pay for it and so it’s what we can afford and that they need to remember other families are the same way and may not be able to afford much so they need to be kind and not brag or complain. My kids have usually been happy and grateful for everything.

My parents couldn’t afford expensive things…but what i would love the most about Santa was him “writing me a letter” telling me how that year he had to do lots and lots of toys for a lot of kids…but what he made for me he made it with a lot of love…i used to feel so special!!!..not caring what the toy was…awww i love my parents they had a lot of imagination now they are getting old and are always tired…but they are still loving ppl…:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

Please don’t associate being good with the expensive items! She will compare herself to others and fall short. Maybe try telling her that Santa does not bring electronics or whatever, but Santa does bring these types…explain that parents are purchasing those expensive items for their children.

Santa isn’t a billionaire! He gives something to all children around the world… rich and poor it doesn’t matter to Santa he gives to all. Remember giving is what matters. Not always what you get. Show her how to give. There are organizations you can give to that helps regional areas. Such as donating a goat to a needy community, or donating to a wild animal sanctuary. Santa shares because he wants our children to learn to share as well…

My husband would not push the Santa thing! He came from a poor family 5 kids, wrote letters to Santa tried to be good ect. Then he went to school and everyone had nice things! And he never got very much. He thought Santa didn’t like him and could not understand why. When he got older found out there was no Santa he got so mad at his parents! He realized that there was 5 kids and his parents didn’t have much money. He said I went thru years expecting to get something I asked Santa for and never getting it. My kids will never be hurt like that.

My parents always told us they had to pay for the toys Santa brings because he had to pay the elves and take care of the reindeer. It didn’t make us less excited to Santa—just more understanding that we couldn’t have everything we wanted.

I always say Santa doesn’t bring really expensive things, parents do. It’s a partnership. :blush:

1 Like

I agree with the expensive stuff comes from mom and dad… I actually told my son Santa and us talk… and we pay for the gifts… he delivers them… he was amazed and was like ok that makes sense!!

I have my daughter pick a back up gift that’s cool and not as expensive meaning like 50 and tell her Santa can’t always make the cool expensive gifts for everyone

Let them know reality. I just read a parent told her kids, that parents bought the expensive electronics and that Santa brought the less expensive, practical things with love. And all that other stuff was just material things.