How can I get my 2-year-old to stop biting?

I need help my two-year-old son has a biting problem again… he did before he turned two we ended thAt fast… but now he is doing it again, but now he is biting our dogs and bad cause they are yelping they don’t growl at him or bite him back he gets in trouble for it, but I can’t seem to get him to stop biting them what can I do? And why is he doing this??

19 Likes

Bite him back. I know it sounds harsh, but it worked for my son. He didn’t bite the dogs, he bit me, and when he did I would bite him back. Not hard, but hard enough to let him know it hurts. Eventually, he stopped. Be careful, because the dogs might not mind now, but they might and could bite him back. Animals, just like people, can only take so much. Hope this helps, usually its just a phase.

21 Likes

My son bit me once and I bit him back. Not hard, of course Just enough to show it hurts. He Never bit again :joy:

5 Likes

If he is verbal enough, tell him to use his words

1 Like

Put a gate up and separate them before one of them has enough and they’re punished for defending themselves and it isn’t their fault. Maybe it’s swat a butt time

10 Likes

I had to bite my sons back when they bit me . They thought twice lol Nd stopped fast

3 Likes

Throw him in time out everytime he does it. Say no firmly. Also, keep him away from your dogs before they bite back in self defense.

4 Likes

Keep him away from the dogs because they will get tired of him and make it known fast. Bite him back, use discipline

3 Likes

Bite him back.
HARD.
He doesn’t realize how BAD it hurts.
Bite him.
Explain this is how it feels when you bite.
DONT EVER BITE anyone including the dogs.

Yes.
They will get tired of it and bite back.

And no day care will put up with this.

3 Likes

Bit him back. Tell him No! An give a couple of swats on the ol bootie

2 Likes

Bite him back and stop it or the dogs will…

3 Likes

my daughter kept biting me wgen she was about that age and bit my her back just enough for her to feel some pain but not too hard that it will cause a mark… she stopped :grin:

1 Like

I had issues with my daughter biting. We talked evverrryyy sinnngggllleee night about it. Same story every day: no biting, use your words. We don’t bite our friends, it hurts. Etc etc. it was repetitive but she quit biting after a few weeks. She was biting several kids sometimes in one day at daycare. And I obviously felt terrible because I never thought I’d have a biter. We also got a book about no biting. And we read that every. Single. Night.

1 Like

A dog no matter how trained will eventually nip back. They do it to their own pups. Sorry but i would never let it happen. My dog knows better. But she has a limit. You need to bite him back. Or put his fingers in his mouth and push up on his lower jaw. I tap my kids mouth.

7 Likes

I bit mine I tried everything. Then one day she bit my niece an drew blood. So I bit her an put her on a time out she never did it again. Believe me that is not what I wanted to. But that one day enough was enough.

1 Like

Give him a good pop and find out for 2 minutes. Be consistent though

Tap him in the mouth. (not hard of course)
I tapped my son ONE time and told him not to bite. It stunned him so he never did it again.

1 Like

Yes ^^^ bite him back!! I did and my son never bit again. I did it hard enough he knew it hurt and then I told No, firmly and told him, see that hurts. We don’t ever bite anyone, it’s not nice.

My brother had this problem when he was 4-5, they put hot sauce in his mouth. Good Luck Mama :heart:

Bite him back. Even the slightest bit will work

Anyone saying bite him back is a fucking moron.

Let me bite you to tell you that biting is bad, mkay?

🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

Definitely keep him away from the dogs until you get this under control. They will eventually get tired of it, and bite him back, and you’ll be mad at them for defending themselves.

4 Likes

Every child is different, biting them back could send mixed messages. As a child care provider I suggest repitition and consistency… Firm NO biting hurts and remove him, there is a book about buying Teeth are not for biting. Read it every time he bites and give him an alternative appropriate item to chew like a teether or something he knows he can bit. Have it in a place he can get to so he’s in control.

This is typical of this age and it’s frustrating I know. Do what’s best for you and your family. Talk with the pediatrician if you are concerned

1 Like

Friend of mine bit her kid back. She was 2.5 yrs and she kept biting her baby bro who was about 9 months and mom. So mom bit her…once…and she never did it again. My boys never bit anyone. My youngest would snack people…he grew out of it. My nephew had the biting faze, and he got me once, I tried to tell him NO, that hurt auntie…no. he did it again and broke the skin…it was so fast and hurt so bad that my reaction was to smack his mouth. Not hard at all…it was the reaction he got followed by me screaming “ouch no…that’s bad”
He never bit me again…lol
I felt horrible, but he stopped. He was about 2 ish…

My children all did this once. Maybe twice. I’ve had my nieces or nephews and friends children bite as well. BITE THEM BACK. If you do it correctly they will never do it again. Correctly being self explanatory.

Bite him back he’ll stop

Bite them back. Only takes once

My 2 year old son started biting out of nowhere and we realized it was because he was teething… as soon as the tooth came in, he stopped. I did bite him back… it puts a quick stop to it. Not hard but enough to get their attention :grin: good luck!

Please be careful around the dogs, they could bite him back. This sounds awful but my 2yr old was biting ME & really hard so I bit her back pretty hard too. No I didn’t break the skin or leave a bruise but it definitely got her attention. No more biting after that.

1 Like

Try hot pepper or soap in his mouth. It may be mean, but he should learn quickly

3 Likes

Keep him away from your pets until you get it under control. Bite him back.

2 Likes

I would nip that in the butt before they nip him in the face.

4 Likes

Bite him on the leg.kids learn real quick when you do what they do

1 Like

When my son was two he had a biting problem too so um I bit him back once then he bit me 10xs harder :joy: good luck

1 Like

Everyone has the same remedy it really does work

Mamas Uncut I think you need to keep a close eye on this thread especially since someone tagged CPS. Don’t know if it’s real or not?

1 Like

Bite him back right after

Biting the child could cause major infection issues

2 Likes

My son was the biter in his day care. His teacher broke off small pieces of one large sourdough pretzel and sat with him while he happily crunched all the pieces. Every day at lunch for 2 weeks. He never bit again. Sometimes at that age it’s testing waters, but sometimes they just need the sensory relief. As others have mentioned, be very careful with the dogs. Even the sweetest will turn. Good luck!

What’s up with the CPS comment on here? What it’s abuse to reach your child right from wrong??? Mmmmmm bet that ladies kids gonna wind up in jail :rofl:

To the poster though I see everyone telling you to bite him back it worked for my daughter she started tht round same age ND I bit her one time not hard enough to break skin or bruise just to let her know how it feels and it hurts. But some kids may take it different try it see if it works if not try soap or hotsauce. Just a drop in the lounge when he does it and tht may help :wink: good luck mama hope you can fix it and I do agree may wanna keep pups away for now so they won’t get to frustrated amd possibly hurt him

Who tf bites their kid… Do you pull their hair if they pull yours too lol.

5 Likes

Exactly. If. You. Bite. Him. Like. He. Does them. He. Will. Stop

1 Like

Bite back not hard enough to leave a mark or cause any injury jus enough to feel the pressure. Did with both boys I raised (not my own kids parents gave me permission because one they family and know I would never hurt the kids but also cause they know what I’m doing would work) after doing it basically everytime they did it after 2-3 times they stopped. Never left a mark on them but it worked better than spanking, or time outs

Bite him back to show him how it feels

Bite him back. Worked with all four of my kids…

2 Likes

I never had the biting problem with my son but he did have a hair pulling problem. I one day pulled his hair just hard enough for him to see it hurts. He never pulled hair again.

Bite them back. Not hard, just enough to teach them that it hurts. My husband did that with my baby and I was super mad about it at the time, but it worked!

1 Like

I agree with biting back. Tell him no and that our teeth are for chewing food, not hurting others.

2 Likes

Bite him back!!! My now 3 year old used to bite everyone, she doesn’t anymore after I bit her. Don’t do to others that you don’t want done to you

1 Like

You don’t deal with that like YESTERDAY, your dogs will. And it won’t be good for anyone involved.

8 Likes

Bite him back if he pulls hair pull it back if he pinches pinch him back :woman_facepalming:t4: it teaches him how much it hurts someone when he does it to them!! People on here saying the most annoying an enabling stuff ever if you don’t teach your child the rights an wrongs as a decent human being what do you think they grow up as??? My daughter was into biting I bite her with jus enough pressure it snapped in her brain like wow this really does hurt an she never did it again

7 Likes

Just going to say bite him and see how he likes it!!!

1 Like

It’s so weird because my child doesn’t like mustard on their sandwich. I can’t figure out why. The way he liked flesh, I thought mustard would go good with it. He doesn’t like mustard or flesh. So weird.

6 Likes

My kid isn’t biting people but biting 1 specific dog as well. Idk how to get her not to bite the dog, they stand face to face🤦🏼‍♀️ good luck. As for people bite him back.

Bust his butt and let him know he can’t keep doing that…he might bite the dogs one time too many and they might bite him and hurt him…then your son and the dogs would suffer.

2 Likes

Bite him back or put chile in his mouth.

4 Likes

Bite him back. Did it with both of mine the first time they intentionally bit me and neither has done it since. My youngest is two and still pulls hair or smacks occasionally so I pull his hair back enough that it hurts and he stops. If he smacks me I smack him back, again not too hard but hard enough he knows it hurts

4 Likes

Maybe its a medical issue for real. Maybe talk to your child’s Dr

Teething g try finding some teething toys

Put his hand in his mouth and make him bite down so he understands it hurts

4 Likes

Biting usually comes with teething!

1 Like

I put vinegar on my finger and wiped it on my son’s tongue when he bit. He bit his sister about 3 times. After I did the vinegar ONE TIME all I had to do was threaten to get the vinegar. Never had a problem with it again. Good luck.

5 Likes

Give him a leather belt to chew on he is teathing

Have you tried biting back? Not hard I mind you but just to let him know it’s not funny to hurt thinks. My son use to bite because he learned in the daycare. He bit me in the grocery store and before I could think of it I popped hid little mouth. People looked at me like I was mommy dearest. I said take him home and let him bite you.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

6 Likes

Bite him!! everytime he bites the dogs or anyone!! A friend of mine did this to her little one every time he would bite and he stopped cuz it hurt!!:confused:

4 Likes

Well there ya go! My kids never did this but my nephew used to take chunks out of them nearly! So disturbing. Yeah bite him back! Only one way this little chomper is going to learn how badly it hurts! And then there’s the type of kid that actually WANTS to cause hurt… whole new ball game there…

1 Like

Well eventually one of the dogs will bite him. They aren’t human. They will react like the animals they are.

6 Likes

Mine did a lot so I bite her just enough for it to hurt an she quit

3 Likes

Smack hand, put on time out make sure you say no that’s naughty. He will eventually get it and stop. Don’t buy chewy toys that’s just encouraging biting :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Lauren A Redford these comments

Flick him in the mouth

2 Likes

so its not ok for babe to bite yet its acceptable for adults to bite the baby that trusts you with all their heart and keep them safe from harm.
there are many reasons a child might bite.
children are just learning how to process emotions so even when they are doing something that makes them really happy (possibly in this case playing with the dog) the childs reaction is actually a negative one. you often find they will bite their favourite person while playing or there parent while cuddling having fun etc
this is not malice and not something the child does to cause harm.
could also be sensory, teething etc.

3 Likes

wait… so you want to teach your child something is wrong by reciprocating the behaviour you do not want them to display?
children learn by example, you can not tell a child not to bite by biting them back, yes it may example to them that it hurts because they will feel pain, however depending on the age of the child they do not have the brain capacity to understand you are punishing them for what they have just done, instead they will just have less trust in you as being their “protector”.
you need to find a way to help them to understand that it is not okay to bite, that it is painful and that there are consequences which the child will not like.
the naughty step, time out, taking away toys / TV time all work absolutely fine - while doing this make sure you explain to them exactly why you are punishing them in this manner and how it makes you feel when they behave like this.

4 Likes

To the argument of biting back… you don’t just bite them back and then leave it… you bite back and then explain, look did that hurt you? Yes? This is how it feels to other People when you bite them and it’s not nice… etc. I fully agree with either biting back or a “pop” to the mouth and then the explanation on why and then a time out weather it be sitting in a time out chair or in the corner. Bad behavior will come with punishments. I’m so sick of the new generation throwing a fit bc of parenting that works! It always has with literally EVERY OTHER GENERATION! This is not fucking abuse it’s what actual parenting looks like!!!

Separate your toddler from the dogs until he quits biting. It’s not fair for your animals to suffer, plus eventually they will get sick of it and bite him back, and then it will be their fault which isn’t fair at all.

5 Likes

Biting can be from a few things.

1. Teething
  2. Cause and effect (a 2 years favorite game)
  3. Sensory seeking

For my own 2 year old Im 90% sure his biting is sensory seeking because he’ll chew on my shirt. Toys. Paper. We’re fixing to have him seen by an ot (and undergo asd eval to be safe).

If its cause and effect, be consistent. I never bit my kids back…but i did set it up so he bit himself. I also set him away from whoever he was biting and ignored the tantrum that followed and it wasn’t long before he stopped.

For teething. Give something else to bite. Like a cold wash cloth or frozen teething toy.

If it continues you may ask your doctor for advice.

Bite him back. Sounds mean maybe but I did it and many ppl I know. It works

6 Likes

Smack the butt before the dog bites the child back. My daughter bit me when she was 2 and she drew blood. My first reaction was to smack her butt to get her to let go. She never bit anyone again.

3 Likes

Chew time at home preschool have thisbunguess my worker that comes in for my 22 month old told me about them cause mine is vicious I always just redirect her to a toy ot food

Bite him back
Not too hard to peirce the skin but hard enough to get his attention. You need to stop this now before it escalates any further, the dogs are gonna have enough one day and they will snap back, or spank him and pop his mouth (again not too hard but hard enough to get his attention) hope this helps

1 Like

If its often it can be a sensory issue.

Sympathize with your dogs. Don’t give him immediate attention. Go love on your dogs and audibly tell them how sorry you are that they were hurt and how much you love them. Take away the attention he gets for it.

Get him something he can chew on maybe. Could be teething. Take him to the dentist if you haven’t yet to make sure his teeth are good.

Make sure to give him positive attention for curated interactions with the dogs. “Oh baby, you’re so sweet petting lulu!” Even though you helped him pet and interact with the dogs, he needs to see how he should behave with them. And make a huge deal when he’s kind to them on his own.

2 Likes

I would not let my son around my dogs if he was biting them, it’s only a matter of time before they bite back and your child will end up in the e.r and you’ll be putting your dog down. I don’t mean to sound harsh but that is absolutely unacceptable behavior and this is coming from a mama who had a biter also and I have 3 pitbulls. A dog is just like a human they can only take so much before they snap. My husband used the biting back method and I would pop her in the mouth neither of our methods ever left a mark but it got her to stop mind you we were at our wits end, she was drawing blood on us and other children. A little tough love want traumatize them. Best of luck mama!

5 Likes

Only one of my siblings was a biter and man did he bite! Mom said bite him back, my sister did and that was the end of that. My brother was not hurt but my sister sure was. They were on the floor playing and my brother bit her on her stomach. That won’t work with a dog though, your son needs to understand the pain of biting. Doesn’t have to be hard or pop his mouth and love up the dog. Protect your dog from your son they run out of patience too. Call the dog to you when your son is around it .

1 Like

Squirt Liquid soap in the mouth.
Works every time and fast.

2 Likes

He needs to be in time out for sure. Biting anyone, even an animal is very naughty. I would also take away toys and all. He has to really get a consequence he understands.

I will never get why when anyone wants their kid to not bite/hit/hurt someone, the advice is to bit/hit/hurt them. Kids don’t get punishment at 2, they just get confused and if they stop, it’s not because they’re learning, its because they’re scared. Redirect. Talk to them. Praise them for proper reactions. Distract them. But hurting them back doesn’t do what you think it does.

1 Like

My son was a bitter, I would rub lemon juice on my arms and when he went to bite me i let him. He hated the taste and stopped doing it.

Bite him back obviously not too hard that’s how my sister learnt not to keep biting me

Tapatio on his tongue every time . or bite him back. Or I ate soap as a child… Obviously the sweet approach isn’t cutting it. Maybe try something drastic before it gets drastic

I agree with just a taste of soap as in the mouth. That is what made my son stop when he was small and it only took a couple of times. When I say a taste, I mean putting my finger on a bar of wet Dove soap and then putting my finger on the tip of his tongue. It was just enough to make him know that when he bit, he could expect a nasty soap taste which he didn’t like. I absolutely do not agree with biting him back and neither did my pediatrician when I told him that’s what some people suggested.

2 Likes

Thank you all for saying “bite back”. That’s what I heard growing up. Everyone who tried it said it worked.

8 Likes

The ONLY way to get them to to connect that it HURTS is to put their own finger in their mouth and push up Gently on their chin and make them bite their own finger. It works. Seriously works. I had 556 kids in 4 Daycares. But be gentle and talk to them. They understand more than you can imagine

1 Like

My mom did the bite back method. Just the tip of the fingernail so no hurting. It works

1 Like

Seriously keep the dogs seperated from the child until this stops. Unfortunately you can not know when the dog will be surprised by being hurt and in return hurt your child, which will not be the dogs fault but could mean DEATH for the child if the dog so wishes, or DEATH for the dog for hurting the child. Does not matter how well behaved the dog is, this is a dangerous situation.

19 Likes

Bite him back! That’s what my mom did to me and I did to my girls and it worked

8 Likes

Bite the Lil one…just enough pressure to bring an effect…Mines used to til I bit his Lil ass back, he ran to mama and guess what, no more bites…they do it to see the response

I was always told to bite back, its actually how I got my dog of 7 years to stop when he was a puppy lol dont bite hard enough to draw blood and always test your bite on yourself before trying it on him that way you know your jaw strength… if that dont work maybe a pat on the butt or time out chair?

2 Likes

I bite mine back. They didn’t realize it doesn’t feel good, until you show them, it doesn’t feel good.

3 Likes

Bite back… not hard you don’t have to hurt him. But it was the only way I got my son to quit biting…

4 Likes