How can I get my boyfriend to quit smoking?

I am pregnant with my first and want my boyfriend to quit smoking but he literally wont…how can i make him quit? what can i do to support him quitting?

91 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-can-i-get-my-boyfriend-to-quit-smoking/21023

Vaping. My husband was smoking Newports for decades, Vaping got him off of them and he can breathe so much better!

6 Likes

You can’t make him do anything :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

You can’t make someone give up an addiction they have to want to… Compromise and ask him to smoke outside and not around you.

4 Likes

You cant make him do anything. It is up to him.

2 Likes

U can’t make him he is grown and can make his own choices. If that’s the only thing u have to complain about in your relationship count yourself lucky and leave the man alone

7 Likes

Its not your choice its his he can do whatever he wants

2 Likes

You can’t !!! It’s his desicion to make not yours

Why does he have to quit? Your pregnant not him :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

You can’t make him do anything lol. If he doesn’t wanna quit, he doesn’t have too.

1 Like

Should have thought about that. Women drive me nuts with the change on their hat trick.

5 Likes

However, he should know better to NOT smoke around you or the baby when it comes

3 Likes

You can’t make anyone do anything. Smoking is like any other addiction, he has to be ready.

1 Like

Once the baby comes I think he will have a change of heart. Suggest vaping maybe even surprise him with one.

You cant, hes just going to hide it from you
Just ask him wash his hands and change his clothes EVERYTIME he even goes near the baby.
Quitting smoking is hard and cant be done overnight.

3 Likes

If him smoking was an issue should of been addressed at the beginning of the relationship.

6 Likes

I made the decision to quit smoking and start vaping back in March of this year. I haven’t touched a cigarette since and I can breathe again!! I absolutely love it!! Take him to a vape shop and have him pick some out. I’ve saved so much money by switching too!!

3 Likes

Laser that shit works

Well, he smoked before you were pregnant and you knew he smoked. You had to have considered before you got pregnant that he would in fact, still smoke, whether or not you were pregnant. As long as he isn’t smoking and blowing it in your face and not smoking near your baby when it’s born, what is the issue? Again, you KNEW he was a smoker.

4 Likes

You can’t make him he has to want to

Ypu can’t make anyone quit what they don’t want to.

If he made you promises of quitting, he probably shouldn’t have unless he was ready, but you also knew he smoked prior to becoming pregnant.

People have GOT TO STOP expecting pregnancy to change someone!

11 Likes

It’s his lungs, his life
You can’t make anyone stop anything that they don’t want to stop

4 Likes

Is he smoking around you, in the house or the car?

1 Like

You literally can’t make anyone else do anything. :woman_shrugging: he needs to want to for himself or for you and the baby. Even then it’s hard work and will need to be coming from him and his will and control. You’ll just need to make rules since you’re a non smoker and do not want to smoke, things like smoking outside, not smoking in your car etc

You’re not going to be able to make him quit smoking. He has to do it on his own. You knew we smoked at the beginning if you didn’t like it then you shouldn’t be with them

Lol you can’t make anyone do anything. If you wanted him to be a non smoker when y’all had a kid that might’ve been a conversation to have before you got pregnant.

9 Likes

Good luck, I wish mine would quit. But probably not gonna happen.

:joy::joy::joy: he may find a door for you to walk out u keep trying to change him and who he was before u got prego

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you are expecting him to accept you the way you are? Why isn’t it the same for him? Because you’re pregnant you now get to tell him what to do? You’re the mother of the baby in your tummy, not him. Don’t waste your breath

3 Likes

You can’t make him quit.

Ask him if he’ll try vaping instead. Not as bad as cigarettes but he can still get the nicotine.

If he’s smoking around you, and will smoke around baby… I’d leave. It’s NOT just his lungs, his life if he’s doing it around you…

Ask him if he us willing to smoke outside

1 Like

Dont think you can make him…has to be his choice…its not easy either …good luck

I do not recommend vaping
I quit smoking last Dec. But now Im addicted to these stupid vapes and still costly

You can’t MAKE him do anything…that’s the problem with people these days…you accepted him that way before you got pregnant…soo??

11 Likes

Patches worked for me

You can’t he smoked when you got pregnant…now you sound like someone who thought having a baby would get him to stay with you…how long have you been together, does he smoke in the house, did he before, now you have to live with it. Ask him to not smoke in the house if you live together and see what he does.

1 Like

You can’t make a grown a** man do anything. He was smoking when you met him and he’ll quit when he feel like it. Don’t like the habit then move on.

5 Likes

You can’t make him quit. He’s gotta want to. It’s a hard habit to break. You can however ask that he smoke away from the homes entrance, and even suggest he wear a smoking coat when he goes out for one, but definitely can’t make him quit

4 Likes

He has to want to quit I smoke for 55 years got cancer and went cold turkey and quit and I was smoking three packs a day so you tell him if this old lady can do it so can he

1 Like

I quit smoking ten years ago using a book called “the easy way to stop smoking” by Allen carr. I never wanted another. For anyone that wants to quit, it truly works.

It’s simple… he just has to smoke outside. :woman_shrugging:t2: Shouldn’tbe smoking in the house anyway it sticks to walls, it’s gross. I don’t smoke… my boyfriend does…He’s a grown man… he’ll stop when he’s ready.

1 Like

The smell of cigarettes made me sick pregnant. If it’s something like that explain it. But also talk about cutting back so he doesn’t touch/ hold baby while smoky and expose baby to that. But definitely smoking outside and not around the baby.

1 Like

My husband smokes, has since he was 13 or 16 & he’s 43. We have 3 girls 12, 19 & 21. He smokes outside. They don’t have any health problems to do with smoking & neither do I. He has to want to quit, it is a hard thing to do. My husband has tried 3 or 4 times in the 24 years we’ve been together

3 Likes

You can’t. Accept or reject… Cigarettes was one of the many reasons I left. Smoke triggers my asthma and once I had my son growing inside me my priorities and what I look for in a partner changed.

You don’t get anyone to quit anything. If they don’t want to quit- they aren’t. Why even ask this….

5 Likes

You can’t.
Stay at Home Moms :fire:

You’re not his mother you can’t make him do anything

4 Likes

Are you deeply in love with someone and you need he or she back into your life I got my ex lover back with the help of Dr Achio
Here
:point_down::point_down:
Dr. A Achio

The patch helped my husband. Like the other ladies stated, until he wants to, he won’t.

1 Like

Why be with someone who smokes if it’s going to end up being a problem. If he wants to quit he will. If he doesn’t that’s his choice but he should def smoke outside

2 Likes

you can’t force someone to do something cuz youre pregnant… geeze… controlling much? hes not doing it with you right there or forcing you to smoke leave him alone about it … im sure he’s stressed tf out too…

4 Likes

You can’t MAKE him do anything. You knew he smoked before you got with him. You can’t help anyone stop anything if they don’t want the help.

2 Likes

Honestly, been there/tried that. If he doesn’t want to quit, you can’t make him. For me I realized it wasn’t worth arguing over anymore. Who am I to say he can’t smoke and has to quit?! One day he will be ready and I will be there to support him, till then, oh well. I promise your going to ruin your relationship trying to force him to quit if he doesn’t want to. You just have to decide if you can be with him if he smokes still, and if you want to be with him you have to accept who he is and unfortunately being a smoker is part of him.

4 Likes

Smh. You can’t and won’t. You can talk to him about switching to a juul maybe? He won’t ever stink, but will definitely get his nicotine fix

You can’t force anyone to quit. You can ask they not smoke near you, near baby, or in the home nor vehicle. But even enforcement of any of that will typically lead to issues (arguments) in some cases.

U shouldn’t push that on him……he smoked when u got with him, right?

2 Likes

Let him make that decision on his own.

1 Like

DON’T HARASS HIM! As a smoker, I almost quit, got down to 2 per day and I can tell you the absolute biggest stress is people harassing me to quit and stress just makes you smoke more. It’s extremely counterproductive. He needs to get to that point on his own.

9 Likes

When I met my husband he smoked. I despise smoking and straight up told him it was me or his cigarettes because I was NOT kissing or being around an ash tray all day. Shortly before he quit he tried to test me when we were out with friends and started smoking. I straight up left his ass there and he had to find his own way home and when he did he was locked out. I don’t play when it comes to that. obviously he loved me more than smoking cause 20 years later we still together. Tell him you and the baby or his cigarettes and mean it. Good luck!

You don’t. You have him have a smoking jacket/shirt, wash his hands, and if he wants to kiss the baby brush his teeth. It sounds excessive but if you want 0 smoke that’s the best you got.

3 Likes

Pray for him to quit but don’t tell him you are praying it will work I promise

2 Likes

Hmmm. You can’t ‘make’ him do anything. And trying to force or control him like that will only push him away.

4 Likes

Get a new non smoker boyfriend

1 Like

How do you change a man? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I have 8 boys. If this is your only complaint u are very lucky! Chose your battles bc you probably are going to have a lot more complaints more serious soon.

4 Likes

Don’t make him do anything. If he doesn’t wanna quit, don’t try and make him. And it isn’t supporting him in doing so… Unless he’s the one that wants too quit and does so for himself. Honestly, if you just keep trying to make him quit, it can really just potentially cause problems in your relationship.

1 Like

Umm you cant and don’t hes probably gonna be stessed as it is

He’s got to want to quit, legit the only way

2 Likes

He won’t quit until he is ready. Put boundaries in place to protect you and your child.

2 Likes

People who are pregnant with the baby dont even quit half the time . Also the more you go at him about this and other things the more he’s gonna smoke. Stress makes people want to smoke. Try to relax babe. If the smell bugs you, let him know. He can swap a shirt or use gum. Pregnancy nose is super strong lol
Good luck with everything x

3 Likes

You can’t make him quit if he isn’t ready

Will he compromise and use only Nicotine gum, patches, etc. around you?

:woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

I’d just talk to him but tbh you can’t make anyone do anything unless they’re willing. Addiction is a hard battle.

1 Like

He has to want to quit. Maybe instead of trying to force him you cam ask that he doesn’t smoke around you… Or that he washes his hands and changes his shirt after?. Forcing him will make him do it secretly and he will hide it then what? You will be more mad cuz hes hiding it.

You can’t. He smoked when you met him and you decided it was fine so it’s not your place to change him. He will quit if and when he’s ready to.

1 Like

Quit smoking what? I think it’s harder to quit smoking certain things vs others, if that makes sense. I think that you should support him with the facts or suggest some alternatives to smoking instead of saying “stop smoking”. Does he like bananas? I’ve heard that it curves the desire and may help otherwise it has to be a decision/choice he makes to stop. Don’t stop encouraging him, once he quits he will appreciate your support. In the meantime create boundaries for you and the baby, and when the baby arrives make him change clothes or clean himself before he handles you all child to avoid 3rd hand smoke. Best wishes to you and your family.

1 Like

You can’t make him do anything.

1 Like

What’s he smoking though? #itmatters :rofl:

You can’t. He smoked when you decided to have a baby. Accept it or move on.

2 Likes

You can’t make him. Smoking is really hard to quit. Its the worst addiction there is. they say it takes the average smoker 30 attempts at quitting before they actually do. Now what you can do is talk to him. See if he is willing to just go have a talk with his Dr about it. The health effects and options. You can also put in boundaries to keep you and your baby safe. Like no smoking in the house and car. Or at least not in the car when your in it. No smoking near baby. Wash hands after every smoke. Change shirt before holding baby after smoking. 2nd and 3rd hand smoke is also a very danger especially for infants and concerning sids. Don’t be mad at him but also don’t allow him to smoke around you or the baby.

You can’t make him quit.

1 Like

I didn’t until I wanted to. If it’s cigarettes, and he’s willing to quit, you need to be there every step of the way and not judge him. When I quit I was moody, pissed off constantly, yelling and starting fights and sleeping a lot until the cravings left. It’s been almost 6 weeks since I quit and I finally stop having cravings like two weeks ago.

2 Likes

The more you nag him, the more he is gonna smoke! He’ll quit if he really wants to, nothing you can do about it!

1 Like

As a former smoker, if you want to give him some tips to quit I can give you the one that worked for me… it was more of a habit for me and the feeling of holding the cigarette in my hand I think more than anything. I would buy cigarillos and hold one like a cigarette and “puff” on it while it was unlit. I also chewed a lot of gum. Worked for me after 9 years of smoking. Good luck, but he’s not going to quit unless he wants to…

1 Like

It has been to be his decision!

1 Like

You obviously haven’t only just found out he’s smoking… you clearly knew before you made a baby with him.

You can’t force him to quit, you can only ask him to smoke outside. Wash his hands spray ect once he’s had a fag.

these get funnier by the day :rofl:

5 Likes

He’s not the pregnant one. Stop trying to change people you supposedly love. Or control people. Or make them do something because you have to.

13 Likes

The same way he gets you to shut up : oral sex.

I am an ex smoker, until he decides he wants to quit nothing you can do is gonna help or work.

2 Likes

You can’t make anyone do Anything :joy:

2 Likes

If he does not want to you cannot make him

I was a heavy smoker I stopped but I’m using disposable vapes!! But it keeps me off the stinky cigs for now

1 Like

You cant make him its upto him to do it, my partner quit before for over a year on a vape, but started again, I then got pregnant December last year and midwife obviously mentioned about they could help him, me and him spoke about it and I said about being healthier for baby and we spoke, didnt think he would give up but a few days later he decided to quit again his still vaping but I way prefer that then the smell of smoke.

He has to want to quit

1 Like

The only thing you can do is insist no smoking in the home and in vehicles you ride in, for your health and the baby’s health.

2 Likes