How Can I Get My Pre-Teen Son to Shower and Wash Better, Because He SMELLS?!

Welcome to puberty… it stinks… literally!

1 Like

Teenager sweat is the stinkiest!

Have to be tough. Better you tell him than the kids at school.

2 Likes

Id say to put all his clothes and bedding in the tub, with borox, baking soda, laundry soap and let em soak 12+hrs and then wash them. Also maybe swap soaps and deodorants.
Id also explain to him that poor hygiene leads to acne and literally 5 extra min will help a ton.

3 Likes

I have this issue with my 13 year old boy. I washed his hair for him because making him go back 100 times didn’t work with him. He just did not care. That was embarrassing for him but oh well I am his mother. Also having him shower at a different time during the day helped too. I used to make him take showers after school. He prefers mornings. So I have been waking him up earlier for that. He is doing much better but still has his moments.

1 Like

Good haircut. Routine printed out and laminated for him on his door. Buy him the correct products and get him a toiletry bag with it stocked. Routine routine routine becomes habit. Have him help you strip his bedding once a week, getting his laundry done etc.

2 Likes

Must be a kid thing. My 10 year old daughter has bad BO, but hates to slow down to shower properly. I tell her all the time that she stinks, and she doesn’t want to be known as the “stinky kid” in school. She finally is starting to wash better and put deodorant on.

Tell him that if comes out of the shower, still stinky, you’ll take his phone for the rest of the night. If he does it again, take phone for 2 days, etc… Find out what his “currency” is.

3 Likes

i tell my kids wash between your toes! and dont forget privates front 1st then behind. Nobody wants to be the Stinky kid!

Besides being hygienic also drink plenty of water. Hydrating yourself flushes out the toxins in your body, less toxins less smell.

My brother is in that category
He’s 17yrs
My grandmother was blunt with him
Yuh smelling rancid and stink
We get him deodorant and powder and remind him about it
The right toiletries will help as well
He will feel insulted but it’s a behaviour to be groomed

My sister had this problem she just told my nephew “i did not just pay for the water you just used for you to come out smelling” and he got the hint pretty quickly :joy::joy:

2 Likes

My kid was getting smell checks after every shower. If he was rank he went back in. Deodorant checks too, he kept skipping out and the funk was too much!!!
When his hair got greasy I washed it for him. I remind ask him every shower if he is going to wash or does he need me to do it, now he does it on his own.

1 Like

Me as a parent will down right be straight forward. My oldest daughter was an issue when it came to hygiene. She started smelling like fish and her armpits smelled like onions. I would straight out tell her to go take a damn shower cuz she stinks like fish and onions. I would tell her hygiene is important cuz nobody else wants to smell ur damn funk, now go shower ur ass!!! And make sure to clean ur kitty and ass real good and especially them pits! Put some deodorant on! Yep thats me as a parent. It doesnt make sense that u got to keep getting after them for the same thing. And even in school the school would say she stunk. Sometimes its that tough love.

Dump soap on him… Instant bath. Worked for me😅

1 Like

Tell him if he don’t wash his hair properly you’re going to shave it all off

Tell him if he doesn’t wash his ass you’ll sit in the bathroom while he showers so you know he’s washing himself.

If he still stinks buy him some Axe body spray

I’m all for the taking the phone and bribes to get him to shower better but I haven’t seen this suggestion, have you asked a doctor? Bad BO can be a diet thing :woman_shrugging:t3:

Tell him that you will give him a sniff test every time after he showers… if not done properly send him back again and again if necessary… buy him some decent deodorant and make him use it. Also tell him that smelling great will go along way with the girls when it comes time. Assure him that you are doing him a favour.

I have 3 son’s and they smelled until I bought clinical deodorant

Tell him if he doesn’t the hospital will make him take bleach baths to get rid of sore, ache, boils along with you getting in trouble by the state possible going to jail because your still responsible for him (I went threw this when my son was 13) and they will not let him return home until he take care of himself

I have had that issue and I have simply said you don’t use enough soap and made him take another shower and after a few times it worked for us

I could have wrote this. Going thru the same thing with my almost teenager. My son is high functioning autistic, which makes him very unaware of his body. What I have found works is staying on him like as soon as he’s out of the shower I smell his hair if it smells gross anywhere he has to jump back in and do it again. He hates it which makes him try harder to get it right the first time. I also made him a checklist for hygiene and grooming that he keeps in the bathroom. Don’t give up, think outside the box he’ll get it eventually

Ok so some kids really stink hormones of course but you could give herbal remedies basil , rosemary spearmint for instance this will help internally.

Boys are dirty they don’t care until they start liking girls! Then all of a sudden they start smelling all good dressing nicer or should I say getting the wrinkles out of their clothes lol. I have three boys are they are a different kinda nasty lol! Don’t worry they will change!

1 Like

You need to explain he still stinks and he needs to use loads of soap. You also need to check he’s got a clean towel and getting into clean underwear. (I work with teenagers and have to call home for this!)

And buy him antiperspirant!

I used to say to mine “you stink, get in the bath and change your clothes”.

Some of the comments on here make me question others ability to treat their children with respect and dignity.
Some of the bullshit you guys are saying is fucked up. Take some parenting classes if you think taking your child out side and hosing them off is a good idea.

If he comes out stinky make him repeat. And repeat and repeat until he’s clean. He’ll get sick of it and start doing it right.

Talk to him about it and don’t overlook the fact that it might be hormonal. Explain that you are trying to help. Some deodorant actually make it worse🙈

My brother didnt bathe right till he got into girls… like had his first “girlfriend”!

Tell him you can do it or I can do it. Scrub the shit out of his scalp with your nails and I promise he will never want you to have to do it again.

Ask his pediatrician/primary care doctor he may truly have a medical issue, if not his Dr can have a talk with him. All you can do is try!