How can I get my son to keep his toys in his toy area?

Any ideas on keeping my son’s toys in one area. He has his own room to play and yet somehow I still end up with toys in literally EVERY room in the house. We just moved into a new house, so we were just recently able to give him his own play room. Before our house was tiny (~200sq. ft.) so we did let him play with his toys anywhere he wanted. But now I want to stop that and just have him play in his playroom. Any tips/tricks how to teach him this so I don’t lose my sanity with the mess??

61 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t want to be isolated in his own toyroom and wants to be near you. Keep a few special toys in a basket in the common area that he is only allowed to play with there and see what happens. He is used to being near his mama, which is more important than his own room.

8 Likes

Sounds like he doesn’t want to play alone…make a game out of cleaning up

4 Likes

He shouldn’t be limited to just one room, he needs to be able to move and be around people. Limit the amount of toys he can play with at one time, and keep a bin in each room for him to put his toys in and switch them out every few weeks or so.

8 Likes

Let him play but also teach him to pick up after himself. You may have to help him in the beginning by walking behind him, holding his hand to pick up the toys but he will learn. Keep a basket handy in each room to help. This is of course me being under the impression that he is a little guy… toddler age.
I watched my grandson’s pediatrician do this with him when he dropped a tissue on the floor and he was one year old.

He probably doesn’t want to be in there alone, how old is the kid?
The picking up toys thing, I can remember doing it every evening after they went to bed. Some are better listeners, keep things tidy etc than others… Just like adults. LOL.
Maybe some bins baskets and money always works. Set up an allowance

kindly tell him he needs to keep his toys in his room so no one gets hurt tripping over them… if he doesn’t listen, then start putting your foot down… I’ve told my daughter since she was 2 and she’s listened ever since…

Always play with your children whenever possible!!! :heart:

5 Likes

So he can play with toys in his room alone or be next to you and play nothing🤔

He’ll be young for only a few years. Let him be close to you, participate in his play. You’ll have plenty of toy free time later!

Probably a little late for this … but maybe don’t have kids :joy: toys tend to be dragged from room to room by best advice would be to explain that at the end of the day before bed if toys are not put where they are found they won’t be found in the morning :wink: (garbage) and the kids won’t take you seriously until you actually follow through and you’ll see it’ll be that once and they’ll pick them up every time after that :joy: I promise

5 Likes

Let him play, you get down and play with him too every time when you can.Every toy can be use as an educational piece. So get some teaching learning activities in it. Colour shape size.
Then sing Clean up, Clean up everybody clean up.
First you start picking up then gradually cut back until he is the one picking up best of luck.

1 Like

Teach him how to clean up as well. Every end of his play time, take his toy basket (or whatever you use) and ask him to put it in there. Build a habit so he identifies that it’s where the toys should be in after play time. Hopefully, soon enough when he plays by himself and you’re not around, he’ll know where to put his toys once he’s done playing. Mess is almost inevitable with kids, so you have to teach them and create a new habit for them.

You don’t want to have him only play in a specific area. He might either have a sense of seclusion/isolation, or get over protective over that area which isn’t good too.

2 Likes

Pack half away and if he doesnt put his toys away when hes finished put half away again till he learns to play and put away

2 Likes

Tell him you will take away all his toys an give them to kids who will clean up an put them in the toy box that’s the deal ,

Ummm it’s a child…will grow an learn with age

1 Like

Enjoy him while hes still at the playing age cause he will grow and then he will look for other things to do.

What leaves the room,disappears.:woman_shrugging:t4: lol. Yes he’s a child but boundaries,consequences, discipline,etc…are best taught at an early age. Before you know it you’ll be picking up after a grown man child.

3 Likes

Keep the toys in the living room, then they’ll just be in one room.

I used to tell mine that if I find their toys around the house I will throw them away. As soon as they saw me with the broom they would run to get them picked up and put away.

4 Likes

My daughter has a toy room next to our living room. She travels in between rooms bringing toys. Before nap and at the end of the day she helps us clean up. Simple as that. Oh and shes 3 next month.

I think he probs wants to. Be with you… Maybe say you can bring a few toys to the room you are in but if you want more toys those ones have to go back first

1 Like

It’s the ghost moveing them

Just keep reminding him and make him clean up, not you.

Sing to him! As he does it. Make it fun. Worked for my daughter. Shes still clean as a teen.

It depends on his age.

1 Like

Just remind him to bring his toys back in his room when you catch yourself bending down to pick them up. No punishment should be involved. If you keep reminding him enough it will become more of a habit like going on the potty. Remember he’s learning. Give him a chance. You don’t want to stifle creativity and learning by being so obsessed and controlling with messes. If you and your husband are diligent about keeping things in their proper place then your example will also make a difference.

1 Like

So you let him do whatever he wanted with little to no boundaries and now it surprises he has little to no boundaries elsewhere? Here’s a thought. Discipline your son. Model how to clean up a few times. Then help him clean them up. Then make him do it on his own. Every time he doesn’t that toy gets out away for a few days and he doesn’t get it. Period. It won’t take long, kids aren’t dumb. If he’s extremely defiant throw one or two away 🤷

Put a tote in rooms n if he doesn’t pick up n put away after playing take that tote of toys away for week!! Helps them learn responsibility n helps you keep cleaning in control ;”) my kids r grown got grandkids doin that

Yep pick them up and throw them away he will learn fast

1 Like

Are theses questions even real? I can’t believe some of the dumbasses that post on here… good thing your anonymous. DUH? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Each toy that is brought out is taken away for a week

MAKE THE PLAYROOM he doesn’t want to leave and put a gate on it so it’s open but contained. Paint, daybed or some special bed area, table for playing or reading, big rug or a rug for cars to play on. A train set with it’s own area for playing. Make it room a child would go into and get lost in play…think like a kid, you know him best. You didn’t mention an age so if old enough have him HELP …picking colors, painting and so on! Make the room HIS. I also did the toy went into time out when found outside it’s area, in my case that wasn’t the biggest problem, when the kids or grandkids fought over a toy it went into time out…they could see it but not touch or play with it. I started this when they were about 2 and they understood very early to not fight and share, they are now grown adults and it stuck with them. :slight_smile:

Let kids be kids! I love toys everywhere . Don’t restrict kids with rules which don’t make sense.Why buy so many toys which become a problem?3-4 toys are enough! Don’t sweat small things! Enjoy your kid!

2 Likes

Take control there is a time out corner so we’re in youre
House plus’s take a couple toys of him each time children arnt silly you’re the parent

Let him play the days may be long for you but the years will fly be fast and he won’t be that lil boy anymore he will be grown and then you can have the polished floor. Been there done that.:unamused:

1 Like

Tell him that u will give him a reward f he will always keep his toys in hid toys place after he play…:tada:

I am shocked with some of these replies people can be rude is all I will say. Kids will be kids. When first allowed for him to be where ever with his toys then setting new rules can be difficult but stay calm and explain now that he has a place for them would he try harder at keeping them in his room. This way they don’t get lost and he will always have them. When you pick one up he’s left laying around put it up. Then when he’s asking for it explain that is why I asked you to keep them in your room. When he goes missing several of his toys he might just realize he better keep them in his room. Don’t have them back until he gets the concept of keeping them in his room.

1 Like

And this is why we have a society of spoiled, entitled young people. It is our jobs as parents to raise good successful adults, we teach them love and responsibility. It’s ok to let kids be kids but they need us to teach boundaries and respect. Of course age appropriate responsibilities. They will never learn to respect you, the household space or any other persons space. If your child is not playing with a particular toy then teach him to put it away, if he doesn’t, take it away.

6 Likes

Your children’s memories will be of time spent with you, not how tidy and stylish your home is

4 Likes

Show him where you are happy for his toys to be.
Check he isn’t over whelmed by the amount. ( You could rotate them by packing some away)
My children are grown now. They were allowed TV time when I was cooking dinner. But not until all the toys were put away.
Have bins/ box’s with pictures on so that they know.

The problem here is that your the parents, kids start early tell you what they are going to do! Put toys he won’t pick up and have him put in a trash bag and say I’m giving them to another child who will take care of the! Good luck

I had this situation with my daughter and what I found is that she wanted to be where I was when she played. So we made a bargain. She could play any where she wanted as long as she put everything away after she was finished playing with it

Depends on his age. One thing that helped with my kids was when they did it reminding them that the toys dont go in there and make them clean it up when it was found. If he is younger tho u may need to help him with the cleaning part. Its gonna take a bit to learn especially if he is younger cuz he always played where he wanted before. Just remember patience is big. I know its frustrating sometimes but thats really the best thing i found to do

Start threatening to throw one away every time he leaves them in the wrong place .Then do throw one away and see if any changes

3 Likes

Tell him to keep them in the toy room. If there’s a toy outside of toy room have him pick it up. If he doesn’t, then give that toy away. Can’t keep them where they belong, then they can go to someone else. Mine don’t play with toys a lot. By the time they all hit 7 years, toys became non-existent. They rather be outside or helping with the baby.

Been there😆 he’s six now and it has gotten better but yeah I can definitely relate!

He want sto be where you are. Confining him limits his ability to be creative. Kids are meant to spread their toys. Just teach hi to tidy up. Say 5 minutes to tidy up time. And then show him how to tidy up. Give him a box and put the random toys around the house in it and take it to the play room. Simple jo one gets upset . Soon enough he will do it when you say. Dont limit his play area .kids follow the parent aound the house. It’s normal.

It depends on his age. At or about 3 to 4 years old you put a toy box in his or her room an train them to put them up

I would not make him keep his toys in his room where he would be isolated from the family. He needs to bring his toys where he can be with other people with you. Imagine that you did get him to keep his toys in his room and he plays all alone in there, wouldn’t that be sad? Imagine when he is a preteen doing this and then teenager and he has learned to be isolated, and he is, and does not share his thoughts with you. Don’t get him started on this rout now.

1 Like

My children were allowed to have toys anywhere and yes they had a playroom but at 5 pm each night the toys had to be back in their playroom

You are the boss! Make the rule and stand by it. My son is allowed one thing at a time, put one away and you can bring out another. If not throw it away. Rules or consequences…

BALANCE. Not everyone does what they shld be doing ALL the time. I have a toddler. She clearly knows where her toys belong, crayons, flash cards, books, dolls etc. Does she always put them back? No. Does she know when I mean business? YUP. Balance. Parents aren’t perfect. Our way isn’t perfect. We learn as we go. Reinforce. It’ll all get better.

Tell him all toys out of the play room will be thrown away and then DO IT (I put them in a trash bag and donated them)… Trust me… it works. :woman_shrugging:t3::nail_care:

Rub his nose in it? Lmao jks

3 Likes

Lmk when you figure it out!

2 Likes

He’ll soon grow up and your house will be spotless. Enjoy the “creativity” with him .

1 Like

My gosh it’s what kids do lol

9 Likes

Ummm that’s just how kids are :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

He wants to spend time with you while playing. Kids want parents around while they play, Even though it doesnt always seem like it.

2 Likes

You would be amazed where toys end up and its not really preventable. Time to teach him the pick up game.

1 Like

Lol good luck with that!!

2 Likes

Nope. Just let it go. One of those things where you need to pick your battles and move on. My son is 6 now and toys are everywhere regardless of the fact his “playroom” is in the basement.

1 Like

Lol I have 2 that are teens and an 11yo. I still have to say “put your stuff away.”
Have fun with that.

1 Like

Call his name and tell him to come and pick up the toys wherever you see them. Stay consistent and eventually it will be second nature.

2 Likes

I put their toys in their beds until they get the hint to put them away. Worked great because they didn’t seem to like sleeping on them.

4 Likes

I make sure my son cleans up his old toys before he gets a new one, and puts them away in his bedroom. That way I have minimal mess but he can still bring toys in and out. Stay on top of the mess, that works best.

2 Likes

If you take the toys they leave out away, eventually they’ll tun out. And hopefully learn the lesson? But probably not. Good luck! Lol

I try to have her put her current toys away before she pulls out other things but there’s still crap everywhere. I feel like that too but you can’t win. Lol. Plus like they say… you’ll be missing those days one day.

Does he have music or a tv… if it’s too far from noise or people he may just be lonely

1 Like

Are you serious? :eyes:

Omm… that’s part of having kids.

7 Likes

Haha!! Good luck with this. My only suggestion is to keep a basket or bin in your living room to collect the toys at night and put them back in his play room. But it kindof sounds like your son just wants to be with you and not alone in a playroom.

6 Likes

I had a pool set up in my house and put my baby and her toys in it.

Tell him that he can only bring a few toys in the room with you to play, but he has to put them away when he’s done. That’s what my mother asked of us when we played inside as kids, and I do it with mine as well. Takes a lot of repetition some days, but stay consistent with that rule. Good luck.

1 Like

Kind like my aunt says, tuff shit butter cup that part of haveing kids and honestly i rather see my child in the same room as me playing with there toys than lovked up in some room by them selfs

Tell u what i did to my kids. Got garbage can and start throwing toys in it. They pull them out and slways put them way after that. Becouse they new i was serious!

1 Like

Lock the toys in the room and never let him touch them… ever…
:joy:

5 Likes

We have a play room and its toy storage they get brought out to be played with. Kids like to b where adults are. At the end of the day its pick up time. The kids are responsible for all toys, art supplies, etc.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: good luck!..no frfr, enjoy the toys while you can…it goes from toys to clothes/shoes to you having to check to see if they’re in the house cause they’re held up in the room (teens).

1 Like

The best I can suggest is put a basket or box or something in each room and teach him to put the toys in it instead of leaving them all over the room. At least it will make taking them back to the playroom easier. :joy: Maybe teach him to take them to the playroom every day before bed?

Idk how old your son is but most likely he wants to play where there are you guys are so he doesn’t feel lonely. My youngest (almost 8yo) does this whenever she doesn’t want to be alone in her room. She just got a smart tv for Christmas tho…and already I am noticing she spends way more time in her room. Actually felt a little lonely to be ignored by her for an hour at a time today. :grimacing:

1 Like

200 sq ft? That’s insanely tiny. How big is the house now? How many toys does he have (trying to imagine what occupied a 200 sq ft home now being a nuisance in an average home). How old is he? If it wasn’t a habit in the old house it’ll be hard to break now. If he’s old enough to know better and isn’t listening, well, I used to tell my kids if I had to pick it up I wasn’t putting it away, it was going into hiding and they’d have to earn it back.

Idk my oldest is 17 still find her stuff everywhere

1 Like

Try starting out with a small toy bin in the family room. Only let him keep those ones out and the rest in his room and if he wants to bring something out have him trade it for one that’s in the toy bin so they dont add up. My daughter is two and we have a small place so her play area is in the living room but we’re teaching her to clean up what she has out before bringing out more.

1 Like

Why would you even worry about that? It’s his home. Teach him to pick up after himself.

I make them take them pick up every day.
As soon as their walking when I’m picking up I won’t pick up their stuff, I call them to do it.
They are 10&12 now.
They now pick up mostly after themselves, clean their own rooms, shared bathroom, their own laundry, care for a few animals, do dishes and are learning lawn care. Every chore and responsibility earns electronic time allowance and privileges.
No doing one or doing it half assed looses those things.
Works pretty well so far.

3 Likes

My son has his play room. Sometimes I’m in there playing with him and other times I’m doing house chores. He grabs what he wants and follows me. I’m constantly picking up toys but that’s the joy of having kids. Teach him to pick them up and put them away before bedtime. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I used to tell my kids over and over pick up your toys if I have to bend down and pick them up they’re going in the garbage…

Our toddler has his room he plays in … but we also have a play mat that he can bring toys to play on in the same room … and he picks his play mat up everynight before bed … it limits toys in other rooms but still gives him the freedom to play in either room

When u figure it out let everyone know my son is 4 and his room plus living room are covered in toys

Following because if I step on one more effin Lego… :joy::unamused:

2 Likes

I just pick something up if I know I’m heading towards my kids room and take it with me lol

Maybe put a gate up to keep him from playing eksewhere

In all seriousness, I totally get it. I have 3… a 16 year old, 13 year old, and 10 year old… All their rooms are upstairs, but my 10 year old is up my hindend constantly and gets on my last nerve most days. The teenagers stay in their rooms so they rarely make a mess downstairs, but we never see them… Some days I enjoy the quiet, but for the most part the house seems empty even when it isn’t if my 10 year old isn’t here. Seems like once they hit teenage years they just disappear and you never see them anymore… pick your battles… Let him play wherever, but make him clean it up with you. Believe it or not, my 10 year old considers her helping me clean spending time together so he might enjoy it!

Plz let everyone know when you figure this one out :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Lol this is ur life now. Ur house will slowly be taken over by toys and pieces of toys and no matter how many times u do a huge “clean out” u will gain 20 more toys for every 5 u throw out :sweat_smile::see_no_evil:
But on a serious note, get a few kids toy storage shelves/cubes and some sturdy toy boxes and teach ur little one to pack their things away once they are done playing :slightly_smiling_face: good luck mama x

1 Like

He probably just wants to be where you are or where there is more action. Specially if he is the only child, or only one his age range. Maybe try limiting what he brings out. For example he can bring his cars out but he has to take them back before he brings something else out. Totally stopping a habbit like that may make him isolate himself all together. :heart: so i would say just limit! best of luck

Put your foot down as a parent🤷🏻‍♀️

I tell my kids to take the toys back to their room, works for me

2 Likes

Do you house, new rules.

Yes, every time he takes a toy out of his bedroom or play room, you tell him that his toys stay in his bedroom or his playroom and make him take it back. Plain and simple

1 Like