How can I get my toddler to sleep through the night?

Valium……for u not her :grimacing:

Don’t let your toddler sleep day time .

Calcium vitamin magnesuim,Is she getting this food supplement in her diet.

Make sure she’s bored, not entertained and no food or drink, don’t make it worth her while.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

3 Likes

Does she nap during the day a lot? You may have to cut down on the nap time if she does. Try rain sounds/calming sounds during the night and see how that turns out. Good luck Mama.

1 Like

I’m a father of 3 went through this. My advice is melatonin sounds harsh but babies just don’t have a concept of time ya know

1 Like

Your moaning cos your 2 year old doesnt sleep and your tired? Jeeez Ive a 4 year old that doesnt sleep through every night but I dont moan. Its part of being a parent. Deal with it.

Routine, melatonin and doctors :sleeping: i hope you find answers!

Don’t understand the one angry face. :thinking:

redundancy & routine.

melatonin 1mg or 3mg work great😄 you cab even get them in gummies

1 Like

I give my 4 year old melatonin gummy’s… he gets one every night as he goes to bed … I got them right at Walmart,

1 Like

No naps during the day.

1 Like

Try stop letting her nap during the day?? My youngest wouldnt sleep through the night if he took a nap during the day ever since the age of 2. On the other hand my oldest needed a nap during the day until he was 5yrs old but slept all night.

1 Like

She could be waking up hungry, try a milk and cereal ( low sugar ) right before bed .

1 Like

Maybe try the “No Cry Sleep Solution” it really helped me.

With my daughter who is turning 3 in September was like this till she was 1 and half years old. We stopped giving her milk to drink at while she was in bed and we moved her bed time from 8 to 9pm and she had slept through the night the since. We also cut her naps down to one a day usually around 12:30/1 till about 2-2:30pm. And she usually wakes up any time between 7-8:30am. She’s always been an early raiser in the mornings

1 Like

My daughter is over 21/2 years old and sleeps threw the night unless she has a nightmare. It just takes time my daughter never use too and then one day she just started and she only gets a morning nap.

Melatonin might help

I would not recommend using melatonin every night because after a while I’ve heard it can make your body stop producing the natural melatonin. Every now and then is fine but it is not a permanent solution.

2 Likes

Cutting out daytime naps worked for us. Now she sleeps 11-12 hours a night

But her a teddy bear night light

Put some toys in her crib; when she wakes up she’ll play, then fall back a sleep, worked with my kids

If she naps make them shorter.push her bedtime back alittle. Is her room dark or do u lave a night light on? I would try the opposite of what u have now.
Maybe some soft music or rain sounds. Good luck.

I would allow my toddler to nap for about 20 min during the day and keep them awake as much as I can after that. I never had an issue with them sleeping the entire night.

Does she nap? Stop afternoon naps if so. I got a lot of flack from my family but when mine where younger I let them stay up later than normal. Not like midnight but say 9:30-10ish. It helped wear them down better. Also she may not be eating heavy enough. I used to leave dinner out so that when they asked for snacks I would make them eat dinner again and then some sort of dessert right before bed.

1 Like

Routine of 1-2 things maybe its a story, prayer time and/ or snuggles. consistsncy and no budging when toddlers want to get up. Absolutely, no backing down and no stalling. Expectation of going to sleep is a must. They had to stay in their beds at all times. Consistency with same time and same ritual helps them to know what to expect. Pretty soon their body clocks will kick in and they start falling asleep sooner each time.

My almost two year old has been doing the same thing for a couple of months. I would hesitate to remove the daytime nap this early but would consider shortening it and looking at making sure there is enough wake time before bed. We are doing trial and error and hope to fix this soon. Good luck!

1 Like

Melatonin liquid drops my daughter didn’t sleep good I asked her doctor he said it was fine

I think that’s a good question and not one I had to have answered. We sleep trained at 7 months and she is 7 yo now and has slept through the night ever since 7 months. I’m sure your tired, what part of sleep routine is your toddler starting to fight? Toddlers need 12 hours of sleep.

Does your toddler take a nap during the day?? If so stop that and you might see a difference!! That’s the thing with toddlers unfortunately. My kid can nap for 10 minutes (she’s 5) and still be up almost ALL night. Good luck Momma and I hope it helps you out!!

Routine & consistency. No electronics or tv an hour or two before bed. Bath/quite time/book. No long naps during the day.
My son couldn’t go to sleep. It was exhausting. I put a gate up at his door and sat outside until he went to sleep. It may be a phase, but you have to control it because sleep is the most important thing for his growth and development. The waking up needs the doctor’s attention. Something is waking him.

Protein snack @ bedtime.

Keep her up and awake all day. No nap n see how that does??

Not sure of the sleep schedule but try less naps and a later bedtime if this is possible.

Get her on a nighttime routine, ABSOLUTELY NO MELATONIN at this age. She’s 2. Be calming and soothing with her at night. If you got to rock her to bed for a while do it. She is 2.

1 Like
  1. Are you putting her to bed too early? Keep her up a little later until she’s really tired. 2) NEVER lay down in her bed when you put her to sleep. 3) Kids will wake up if they’re cold. Make sure she is dressed warmly enough because toddlers can’t keep the covers on. 4) If she wakes up in the night, lay her back down, pat her back for a minute, and say Ssshhh it’s still sleepy time (something like that). Always follow consistent routine even if it doesn’t seem to be working. It will start to work!
6 Likes

I used to do this when I was a kid. I would get up, pop a VHS tape in, watch it and go back to bed. I grew out of it. Idk if you give sugar or screen time but When my on was that age I gave no sugar after 5pm and since screens have blue light they lower the natural melatonin in your body which keeps you from sleeping so limit that too if that is something you do. Please just don’t go a medicine route. Try anything and everything else first. I also just didn’t need a lot of sleep to function as a kid. Is it bothering you, like waking you up? My son did go through a phase like this and he would be up for an hour or two and go back to bed. He would eat a snack, watch a movie or play with toys and go to bed.

Make sure she goes to sleep no later then 8:30; still sleeps at least 2 hours in the afternoon , same night routine daily ; all lights in the room are off ( including anything from a window); once /if she wakes - put her back to bed as many times as it takes w/o any discussions

The pediatrician told me to take away that afternoon nap. Don’t send them to bed before dark. My middle child still woke up at 4 a.m. When she was two I left cheerios in a covered bowl(one she could open) and left the t.v. on to the educational channel. I had explained that it was dark and dark was for sleeping. She would eat her cheerios and wait for us to get up. I think as an adult she still wakes up every morning at four,but goes back to sleep.

4 Likes

You have to think about it this way. You’re an adult and still wake up in the middle of the night but know your surroundings and can soothe yourself to sleep. She’s 2. They wake up naturally and are scared.

I would put her back in her bed do not turn on lights or engage in any way put a radio in room on very low volume takes couple nights or a week must be consistent repetition is key do not allow her to run your house my kids always slept in their rooms and thru the night

1 Like

Tell her she must remain in bed and give her a tablet to watch a movie then go back to bed put jingle bells on her door so you can hear if she opens it

I put quiet sleepy music on loop in my Son’s room. It was enough to lull him back to sleep when he woke up. Also a string of led lights from ikea around his bed-when he got a few years older.

1 Like

Mine woke up every 2 hours until she was 9 . She stopped napping after she turned 1, so idk the reason. :flushed: Now she sleeps all night, while i wake up to the same freaking schedule :rofl:

I also like having background noise… like a fan or lullaby music. My kids won’t sleep without it.

Try swaddling them even toddlers like it it’s like a warm hug and you can even put the blanket in the dryer

I had a child like that and the Pediatrician recommended Melatonin 1-3 mg. 1mg did it.

You can always talk to your pediatrician and see if it’s ok to use malitonin

Put rain music sound on.

Why is anyone laughing at this question? It’s a legit issue and many people go through this. Laughing at someone who is asking for help is gross and makes you look like a bully.

Toddlers go through crazy times. Do feel sorry for you. Know how it can be. Our daughter was great but our son went through some exasperating times. Dr can probably give you some advise. Just have to keep in mind “this too shall pass”. When gets to teens you will look back and think this was actually easy.

dont let her take a nap after 12

Serenity in bottoms of feet and diffuse cedarwood

I knew someone whose hospital taught them and their child self hypnosis/relaxation techniques and her daughter learned to self sooth

Try soft music in her room. Like sounds of nature, soft American Indian chanting. Worked for my kids

No more naps and change her diet.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

Following. Going through the same thing with my 1 yr old and my 8 month old has never slept through the night.

I feel you on this… single mom of three. I work nights and my toddler refuses to sleep. I come home and she won’t sleep without her tablet which I eventually let her have because I need the sleep. But it is so hard. Hang in there momma. It’s not easy.

Melatonin gummies have been the only thing that has helped my 4 year old when she fights sleep.

4 Likes

Ok bath time routine before bed really helps. It works on my toddlers to my 8 yr old. Make a routine with them. Supper, bathtime, snack/drink then bed. Bed time routine starts at 6 and the 2 youngest are sleeping by 7 the older ones in bed by 9.

Is it the same time every night? I would talk to your doctor about night tremors

3 Likes

Did you take her to the doctor and ask? Maybe have an assessment done, I wonder if there’s something else going on? Anxiety etc? Try connecting with an OT that does sleep assessment

2 Likes

A sleep study ask for referral to ENT through your pediatrician

2 Likes

Could she be suffering from parasites? They are very pesky at night. Is she messing with/ itching her bum? I would try a parasites cleanse and start magnesium and cbd oil before bed.

They go thru phases like that sometimes. Will she settle and sleep w you at least if u let her. I did that w my first daughter and was also single parent. I just gave in and slept w her in my bed

Consult with pediatrician ASAP to start ruling out possible physical or emotional issues with the child

1 Like

Take another look at the sugar issue, my daughter has an issue with sugar she has since she was about 1 years old when we first started giving her sugar. Little things like ketchup or jelly would set her off in the middle of the night. It’s possible that the daycare could be giving her sugar, I delt a lot with that with the daycare trying to make things easier on themselves and trying to give her a sugary snack because they’re giving it to everybody else even though I gave them plenty of stuff for her to have for snack. I had to tell them numerous times that she cannot have sugar. Then why she can’t and that it’s an allergy issue, the director tried to tell me multiple times that I needed a doctor’s note which my doctor wouldn’t listen to me at the time so that wasn’t helpful. There was one particular teacher who wanted to prove me wrong or something I don’t know but she kept purposely giving my child cookies for snack with the other children and then she would tell me that she didn’t give her sugar but my child would come home and tell me that she had cookies.

1 Like

I hate to say it but you have to literally sit outside the bedroom or beside the bed for about two weeks consistently.
I’d you can watch an episode of the. Nanny. It’s old but her tactics work. I have seven kids and sometimes whether you are together or single or working or not kids have different ideas. It could be that from the time you pick her up until bed she doesn’t get your one on one attention. I know you say how is that we’re the only ones. But it does make a difference. You get home get unpacked get dinner ready get her ready and do homework. You need an hour of just nothing but you. Take her for a walk before bed and run her tired.
When she does stay in bed make it special. Like a week of going to bed on time and staying in the bed you get a new stuffy or play place thing like mcds. She feel
Neglected and it’s not
Your fault
It’s the change between baby and toddler. Mine did this for the last
Week. And when she stayed in bed I made
Her feel like a big
Girl and told her I was proud of her. She beamed and she’s only 19 months old. We did co sleep though so I know she’ll
Come
To our bed when she’s cold Or lonely or scared
If she’s waking up screaming she could have night terrors.
Sit tight mama it will pass. Be firm and kind and find a night regime.
Moms are always tired. It’s part Of the deal. And as we are moms sometimes we have to be mean and say no stay in bed but when it’s 2 am and your half asleep you don’t really care why she’s up
You just move over so she goes back to sleep. That’s the part you have to work on. Hugs. It’s temporary and soon you’ll be telling other moms to cherish it BecaOse at 11 your not cool
Anymore and don’t know what your talking about and you’ll miss it. :green_heart:

1 Like

She may be getting too hot while sleeping and remember the two year old phase can last a couple years. Try bathing just before bed.

Yeah, pediatrician and play therapist to rule out physical/m Ed natal/emotional problems.

In the meantime, can you let her sleep with you?

1 Like

Have you tried a compression sheet? They really helped with my sons nightmares also a chamomile tea of chamomile popsicle might help. Melatonin is good but my son can’t sleep unless the melatonin also has lemon balm. He’s always anxious about sleep so the lemon balm helps calm him so he can settle in and feel comfortable. A little chamomile tea princess tea party before bed would probably make her excited for bedtime. All kids go through anxious and restless phases your doing good Mom. Reverse psychology works on some kids I used tell tell my daughter she wasn’t allowed to dream about puppies and she would dream about puppies all night lol

Stop vaccinating!!! It can lead to sleep digression and a plethora of autoimmune disiease and allergies

6 Likes

Melatonin, discipline when she throws a fit, lock the door to keep her from coming out, if she continues, more discipline. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Do you have a routine? Does she get to go to the park? Do you give her a bath before bed?

Something scared her, ask her

1 Like

Look up awesome little sleepers on Instagram. I was having issues with my daughter. Realized we needed a better bedtime routine and were putting her down for bed to late. Made some tweaks and haven’t had an issue since.

This isn’t a phase! My daughter turned 3 last week and she sleeps ALL NIGHT - 12Hrs (from 6:30pm to 6:30am in her bed alone). We do betide routine and I walk out. She’s been sleep trained like this since her 1st birthday. Happy to share my tips. DM me if you want to speak

She may be sleeping too long at daycare. Does she have a night light? Do you say prayers with her at night? We used a bit of melatonin also. Just not too much. We would also message her legs and feet.

Sounds like night terrors. You might want to try getting a stuffed animal to be the “guard animal” to set on her dresser at night. Tell her nothing can bother her as long as her guard animal is there. Also, put her to bed at the same time every night, after a bath. Ask your doctor about Melatonin. And put a glowing night light in her room. That might help a lot.

1 Like

Single momma as well girlie? My son went through this as well, it went on for a few months but it finally got better. During that time though I did allow him to cosleep with me and I think him knowing he is allowed to come to my bed if he’s scared has help. We do a bedtime routine after teeth brushing we turn on his lights and sound machine and read a book or two. Sometimes we will lay and talk for a few to settle him before I leave him for the night. I use a spray of lavender and cedar essential oils on his pillow that he really likes as well.
Do you let her sleep with her stuffies or does she has a special comfort item?

When my son was about that age, he complained about scary dreams. I sat down with him and explained that dreams are stories you tell yourself and if you don’t like the story, you can tell yourself to change it. I had read about this somewhere and thought it a real long shot, but it worked.

1 Like

Might be easiest to let her in with you to fall asleep at night and then move her to her bed when she’s in a sleep. This works for my son who is 3.

Have you tried a doctor

She is napping for too long or too late into the afternoon at daycare making going to bed before 9pm an absolute impossibility. Don’t force it or be upset about it. Talking to the daycare will lead no where. All kids must nap as per the rules.
As a Single mom that had to be up at 5am, my hack (Age 2-4) was to give her a bath at 7:30 then I kept things calm with cuddles and bedtime stories in my bed between 8-9. When lights were turned off we went to sleep. I didnt mind bed sharing as I knew she was safe and felt love & security with my hand gently placed on her back until she dozed off.
Any activity to exert energy after daycare is also helpful. As silly as dancing in the kitchen or a walk around the block, helps tire them out.

1 Like

First of all Momma, you are NOT failing, Take a breath and relax on that note. Start with talking to her doctor and see if doc has any suggestions. Each child is different and what works for one may work for another or it could throw them into a total melt down. Doc first, then try what makes sense or works best for you. Best of luck

Has she had a nightmare or scared

I’d check with daycare about specifics for naps, keep a journal about foods and sleep patterns so you can show the doctor if there’s any type of pattern. Also stop the milk later in the evening. Switch to water and see if that helps. If it’s lactose intolerance the milk may make her feel yucky.

I get the lack of sleep thing. I really do. When ODS hit about 3 he became the worst sleeper and if he doesn’t take his melatonin he doesn’t sleep. Back then he’d sleep like 4 hours every couple of days. It’s rough on your mental health. If you need to cosleep for awhile if it helps. I know it doesn’t work for everyone but it might help you out in the short term.

1 Like

I know it’s rough…in fact…it’s soooooo exhausting…both mentally and physically, but I can absolutely promise you, it will stop. My daughter did exactly that for 2 yrs straight. I was at my wits end and existing off of less than 3 hrs of sleep a night. We found that giving her choices at bedtime helped move her into a better routine. We do bath and then she helps pick out her PJs, her nighttime story, her sleep buddies and her blanket for bed each night. We read a story and say our prayers and then we promise to check on her in a few minutes. And we do just that, so she knows we’re close…then we check on her again like in 5-7 mins and she’s usually almost out nowadays The first month was rough but she got really into it at about a month and a half in. Now she knows what to expect and she doesn’t feel like she’s missing out on something. A lot of it is they’re so used to being babied that they feel like we’re punishing them for moving onto the next stage. They miss the extra patience and snuggles and such

1 Like

If you’re open to co sleeping, that was a game changer for us around that age when I was so tired for months I literally couldn’t think straight anymore.

2 Likes

This is what worked for me and my 3 year old daughter. It was a long process but it finally worked. For about 6 months she was doing the same exact thing. SCREAMING at bed time and up 4-6 times a night. It was miserable. I started with setting a very strict bedtime routine. Bath time, lotion, pajamas, brush/floss teeth, and then read a book of her choice. Then, I would sit next to her bed until she fell asleep. This sucked but it worked honestly. It started with it taking an hour, then less and less and less over the last 6 months. Finally we were at it taking about 3 min. And just about a week ago, we are FINALLY at the point where I can put her in bed and walk right out and she does the rest. We ALSO have been consistently using 1mg melatonin gummy every night. When she would get up in the night, I’d grab my pillow and blanket and sleep on the floor next to her bed. I was getting sleep, and she would fall back asleep. I’d wake up a couple hours later and go back to my bed. This process was hard, but it worked for us. Just took a long time. I feel you mama. It will get better. Hang in there :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome to parenhood…lol…its natural…if your parents are anywhere close to where you live…see if she can go to grammas a coue hours a day so you can get some sleep…it does take a little help when they are that age, for a sinle parent to sleep…or have daddy watch her for a few hours so you can sleep if he can come get her or you drop her off if the 2 of you live apart

Let her snuggle with her mummy there only little once and you’ll get the sleep you need and she may sleep some more and end up cutting out her own afternoon nap.

Let her sleep with you!

If you work go to school and she’s at day care seems like you have her for maybe 3-5 hrs if you pick her up between 3p-5p until her 8pm bed time kids need time and her wanting to be with you makes sense it’s normal being that you do have a extremely busy lifestyle and are away for long periods of time …. I was in your shoes during nursing school with my 8month old I would spend time with her from 4-9pm or until she went to bed once she was asleep in her crib in my room I slept from 9p-2-4am got up did homework then got ready for the day they need time they need cuddles good luck :four_leaf_clover:

No more nap after 3pm. Make it sure she eat good at dinner so that she won’t get hungry during the night. Give her a long warm bath before going to bed. Long warm bath will relax her muscles and won’t bother her at night.

I had active kids they had no naps and I kept them up until 9 pm they went to bed. Worked for us… oh my boy would only sleep with noise. So we carried him to bed, he’d fall asleep watching TV.

My 2 and a half year old done exactly the same when he was 18 months. I tried everything and nothing worked! One day I thought why don’t I put his bed in my room and see how he gets on and he slept through the night and woke up happier than ever! He’s been in my room since and he goes to bed at 8pm and wakes between 7-8 the next morning. He also has a nap at nursery but I notice if he don’t have a nap his behaviour changes so he needs a nap lol. It’s trial and error, whatever works works least you’ll both get a good nights sleep