How can I get my toddler to stop following me?

Anyone else have a toddler who constantly follows you? What can I do to stop this?

115 Likes

It won’t always be like this. Cherish these times :heart:

Question is why would you want to stop this? It’s perfectly normal, your the only person theyv known their whole life, and this is a phase that will be gone all too soon. Cherish it!

This made me want to like cry and hug my little boy.

He just loves you and wants to be by you all the time because you’re his entire world right now. :pensive: you’re literally his WORLD.

26 Likes

Um why would you? This is how they learn! I know it can be frustrating, my youngest is currently 1.5 and she’s my damn shadow lol but try to remind yourself to breathe and take a second to let them help. I found ways to distract my first when she was little so I could get stuff done. My youngest already can help me cook and clean cause she wants to be involved with everything lol I think this is just one of those moments you need to remember they won’t last forever being this small and soon we’re old news as their stuff or friends are more important. Try to enjoy it mama :heart:

Toss it outside. Since you’re tired of it :woman_shrugging::rofl: or you can put them in a high chair and buckle them in. Or some other contraption to buckle them/ restrain them. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: Or lock them out of the room. I mean… We going for real ways?? Cause… All of that I just mentioned will be frowned upon

Mine our 8,13,16 and 18 and they haven’t stopped yet!

2 Likes

Not gonna happen. You are their safe place.

2 Likes

The more you push him away the more they will cling to you :woman_shrugging: my daughter is like this. I put her in a carrier and just kinda do my best. When I get overwhelmed I enlist help.

I literally REQUIRE this to be satire

My older daughter was the same way. Glued to me no matter what I did. I spent most of my time one on one play with her (as suggested above) and I still had her glued to me. I get it. It’s hard but it’s only temporary. You’ll miss it, trust me!

The best advice I can give is try to find you time with daddy taking over or some sort of baby sitter from time to time. And forget about the house getting clean or include toddler in the cleaning activities.

4 Likes

The relationship quality between a parent and their child can significantly impact the child’s development and future outcomes. If you need a break, you can involve your child in activities while you clean, do laundry, or complete other tasks. Remember that building a supportive and healthy relationship with your children can benefit you and your child. If you want your child to be emotionally healthy, spend quality time with them through activities such as reading a book or playing a game. It’s also important to take time for yourself, but remember that your child may be seeking reassurance or a connection with you, which is a positive thing. Guidance is healthy. Otherwise, they will internalize your annoyance rather than understand it. You’re not alone, mama. :heart:

1 Like

Heck- my toddler is 37! She still follows me around, and I love it!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Her two toddlers also follow me around, and I love it!

2 Likes

My daughter is 9 and still follows me everywhere. She is learning from me. Yes I chase her away sometimes, especially while I am trying to use the bathroom but she is learning and still needs that security while she transitions into a teen.

2 Likes

Throw snacks the opposite direction and run. (That doesn’t work either but it’s funny)

2 Likes

Learn patience, you are their world,being alone is scary for them,

2 Likes

Tell them mommys busy right now. Try redirecting with a toy. But, youll miss it

1 Like

Let them. Someday when they’re grown you’re going to wish they still were little

5 Likes

What is a toddler nowadays? 1-3 or 4 ??
They start school at 5
Enjoy those short moments , they grown in the blink of an eye. Most people have grandchildren then there’s people like me that never will get that blessing. I WISH I had cereal in the floor, toys everywhere, a shadow that screams n cries :joy::joy:

1 Like

You don’t. You let them follow you and love on you the way they know how because one day they’ll be grown and won’t spend as much time with you because they’ll have their own lives.

89 Likes

You cant, welcome to hell :dancer:

1 Like

Run faster? Idk lol still figuring it out. So far, paint gives me about 10 mins peace.

1 Like

Have bins of activities for your toddler. Put one out in the room your in, while you do chores etc.

I have a 4 year old granddaughter and a dog that follows me everywhere I go . Including the bathroom

1 Like

Thats sad this is even a question SMH🙄 Their a toddler. They don’t know any better and as a parent you are their safe place and the person they look up to. Maybe get them activities, toys, ect to keep them busy for a bit…but for them to stop following you? That will never stop.

11 Likes

Ypu don’t lol if you have husband or other kids tell them to distract play with toddler but even that don’t always work I know my toddler just wants to be involved and help with what I do he even got a toy broom set so he can pretend to sweep when I do

Fire tablet with Ms Rachel for a break lol enjoy it while it lasts. You will miss it. One day you’ll have to go to the bathroom alone again and it’s sad :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I remember when my 16yr old used to to cry to go in the bathroom with me… now she barely holds a conversation with me. Cherish these moments even though it’s difficult

15 Likes

I stopped short one day and my kid ran face first into my butt and knocked himself over, he still followed me around after that but not as close. It’ll end one day. Eventually I just started telling them that I need space and they’d give me few minutes to myself.

6 Likes

Why would you want to stop it? A toddler who is following you is in sight. A toddler who is not is sight is a disaster waiting to happen. As a parent your job is to care for that baby and make them the priority. As she grows and learns trust she will gradually pull away slowly but you are still responsible.

2 Likes

Give them a couple of rolls of cello tape and let them go crazy keeps them quiet for abit then as a bonus they have booby trapped themselves and can’t follow you anywhere cos they are stuck in a spider web of tape :joy::joy::joy:

13 Likes

It sounds like your feeling overwhelmed and that’s ok. I love my toddler but sometimes I need a break. Can you look into things like meditation or reiki. Something to soothe your nerves while your partner takes the toddler for a few hours. For me I am usually most frustrated when I have not had a break or my ex was not helping me equally. It came out as my toddler being clingy but in reality it was that they were picking up on how stressed I was. You deserve quiet time and even if that means getting a sitter occasionally or watching YouTube to do yoga when the child is napping. You need to prioritize your mental health and I bet as you start putting you first also that you don’t feel so frustrated with the little one. Sending lots of love and you’re totally worth investing on yourself. Evaluate if your partner is helping or if you’re really giving yourself down time that is not doing other domestic tasks at the same time. Painting or journaling. It’s ok to feel overwhelmed but it’s not ok to blame the little. Momma needs self care and that’s not just lighting candles. I did therapy for a while but I do the best when I do holistic things like meditation and take a little time away while someone else helps even if I have to budget for the help

You don’t. You learn to cherish it. You’ll miss this stage b4 ya know it. :heart:

1 Like

It’s hard to see it now but you’re going to miss this! I never thought I would say it bc I always had so much to do, now I wish I would have left the unimportant things that I thought I had to do and just slowed down a little bit.

Eee god imagine asking this question :sweat_smile: some people shouldn’t have kids.

4 Likes

That’s sad… toddlers follow you everywhere. I wish mine would when he was smaller lol now he throws hands and tells me no during diaper changes! :rofl: all in moderation. But your toddler is not supposed to leave you alone. I’m used to going the bathroom with mine asking if I’m almost done and shit lol

Listen, I get it. Being a parent is exhausting and being followed is annoying. However, at this age, you’re their security. They watch everything you do to learn how to act and react to things around them. It’s annoying, but unavoidable. I get up a little bit before my youngest does so get 30 minutes of peace and quiet.

14 Likes

Pay attention to them maybe

1 Like

Let her do it, once she get older and finds her independence she’ll stop than you’ll miss it, she loves you don’t push her away from doing it!

Duct tape was my first thought but they learn quick and seek revenge when older. :rofl: reinforce boundaries continually on where they can go.

1 Like

I guess don’t be a parent. Kids follows us because we are their person. They feel safe with us. Yes it can be alot sometimes but they don’t know how to be without us yet.
If something small like your child following you bugs you… that’s a you problem.

14 Likes

Enjoy it.
One day they will be independent and you’ll miss this .

Reading this while sitting on the :toilet: and having a toddler stare at me! :sweat_smile: once they feel like following you there’s no stopping it! Just enjoy it.

My 3 year olds nickname is barnacle he’s forever stuck to me :joy:

I am sad for the day my youngest doesn’t want to be everywhere with me. Maybe I am not the norm, but they’re only little so long. Enjoy it while it lasts, you’re there entire world.

If you pay enough attention and play with them, they won’t follow you as much. I noticed that when I play with my boy one on one without distraction such as phone and TV, etc., he has longer independent play.

8 Likes

Not much unfortunately lol my baby follows me everywhere. My husband and older daughters help when I need to get things done. Good luck

Put them in a high chair in front of the tv :joy: mine is 8 now but when I needed a second I put her in her high chair in front of the TV, strapped in. With only juice, no snacks.

My almost 7 year old son goes everywhere I go good luck lol. They are only little once

I have a photo of me on the toilet with one child on my lap and the other sitting at my feet. I was frustrated at the time because I just wanted to pee in peace-but I also recognised that that was a memory I wanted to capture. I get it, parenting is hard. You can’t stop them following you around. You are their world. Can you “tap out” when your partner (if you have one) gets home? Or have a grandparent/friend watch them for an hour so you can have some space?

You are their person… this is a big scary world… this question makes me scared for the world. 
no sugarcoating today.

35 Likes

Put them to bed early. That’s your alone time. Sorry.

Drives me crazy I’m a single mum with no help from anyone but I know this won’t be a forever thing where they follow me everywhere no such thing as a shower n toilet break lol they all there watching :laughing::woman_facepalming: so I feel u but just breath n be blessed they love n want to be around u no matter

Hi. I’m 40. I bet my mom and grandmother are still asking themselves this same question. The truth is- it never stops.

Wait… At some point they turn into teenagers, then they only follow you if they want something :joy:

Creating independence is amazing. Try giving them an activity they can do alone but nearby. Talk to them about the activity from the other room.

Also I am a strong supporter in daycare even part time. Let them make friends and socialize. Do new things, see new stuff! They will have fun.
This isn’t just for YOUR benefit don’t let anyone tell you it’s selfish.

I did this as a child to my mom. I’m not sure exactly why I did it then but I do medicate for anxiety and OCD and have since my early 20’s.

You don’t. You can’t :sob::gift_heart::gift_heart: love my children, but I haven’t been able to poop alone in about 10 years.

My 7 year old still follows me. It’s the parental curse

1 Like

It seems like your toddler isn’t getting enough stimulation and interaction with you. I could be wrong . I do feel for your toddler because you are on fb asking such a question.

3 Likes

You wait till they turn 7, lol

This question is concerning :disappointed: Why would you even ask that? Poor kid.

2 Likes

Oh They get over it Trust me! Then you’ll find yourself following them…Even After 18😵‍💫

For real? That is so sad, poor baby :cry: Some people don’t deserve children :woman_shrugging:t2:

Listen I get it. Having them right under you makes it hard to get basic chores done.
But but a Mellisa a Doug wooden cleaning set and give them task your doing

Here take your broom and help mamma sweep

Don’t rush it, in a few short years they will want nothing to do with you

1 Like

This is why it is important to have a set time for yourself… whatever it may look like. For example I take bubble baths or cut our day short so I can make myself a snack and read a book instead of doing the dishes (I set myself up for minimal mess/waste dinners).

You don’t, let them follow. At least then you know they aren’t getting into stuff

Uhh maybe just get used to it cause that’s how they. They love you so they just want to be with you, if it’s not hurting anything having them follow you alone just let them be

Enroll them in Mother’s Day out and then they will follow someone else :woman_shrugging:t3::joy:

They will grown up of it. My middle child will bring her toys to the kitchen and play under my legs while I was cooking now she outgrown

There will come a time real soon when you wish they did still cuddle and follow :pleading_face::cry:

One day your going to wish your toddler was still following you

start talking about boundaries and personal space……… better they learn from you than somebody else who potentially could have them charged with stalking :woman_shrugging:t4:

Always,Mom…If they are not right there by you…tou"d better check on them…don’t complain…

I guess just rid of it :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t4:

Why would you want to stoo your child’s expression of love & devotion to you?

That’s how they learn life. Lol :woman_shrugging:t3:

This is actually normal behavior

My teenage son is barely in the same room with us unless it’s meal time . Time flies , let them follow you .

Thats totally normal. Wtf :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

U can’t lose them unless u get up quickly and quietly without them looking. Or there in bed away from u.

Let’s all guilt the mum that doesn’t want her toddler following her constantly…
Answer her question…
She did not ask for your personal opinions :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
We don’t have to like every moment of motherhood people, mums need space too.

Helll my 15 year old still follows me… like is this a real question :hot_face::hot_face: maybe the mom life ain’t for you :woman_shrugging:t3::cry:

Your a parent your their safe space don’t know why this is even a question or why you even asking it??? Your toddler learns from you plus wants to spend time with you while your at home at that age as they grow older they will go and play and watch TV etc but now rhey will want to follow you and learn from you cuddle with you time goes quick so instead of moaning inbrace these moments cause believe me you’ll soon miss those (annoying) moments etc

2 Likes

Lmao did I just read that right ? That toddler is ur child…sweet Jesus…so what if he’s following u what’s the issue here ? It’s like u don’t want 2 be bothered with ur own child like he’s an inconvenience I feel sad for him

I don’t have an answer for you, clearly, as mine are 15, 14, & 13 and still follow me around like shadows :joy::rofl::skull:

My boys are 10 and 7. They still follow me everywhere. They lost their daddy a year and a half ago. I am all they have left. I might get frustrated at times but when both of them cry and say they are scared I’m going to leave like daddy did (he died on his way home from work. He had a heart attack and crashed. He wasn’t found till the next morning) it reminds me all over again why they cling to me. We are all in therapy to work though it and they still have separation anxiety and even when they spend time away from me I call them multiple times. In the beginning after their dad passed I would call the school or if the boys were having a hard time and they asked to call me, the daycare or school let them call me just to say I love you. I know it’s frustrating mama but it’s only temporary.

I honestly have no words for this. Is this a joke?

If you don’t get off this app with this nonsense :roll_eyes:

Nothing, this is your life now

What else about your child bothers you? I feel sorry for this child.

Enjoy it while you can I promise one day you will miss it. My kids are ages 17,14,15,9 & 7 and I wish I could have back every moment that annoyed me when they were smaller. Enjoy it mama :heart:

I have three that do this. One day they won’t want to look at you. Enjoy it

It developmentally appropriate at that age. I know it can be annoying and sometimes we just want a minute to ourselves, but they follow because we are their security. Enjoy it while you can

As someone who’s had 4 toddlers…it’s totally normal. You’re their whole world. My youngest is almost 6 and doesn’t need me as much anymore and it makes me a bit sad. My oldest is turning 13 and is totally independent and I miss it when he was little :cry:

Mine followed me everywhere for years even to the toilet lol even know she is 7 and baths with me lol i ask her if she wants a bath she says no so i go for one and boom suddenly she wants a bath lol :sweat_smile:

You have to be gentle and not hurt their little spirit. My 7 yo is overbearing and extremely jealous if I give my attention to anyone other than her, that includes my husbands attention. I’ve tried to talk to her about it but she just can’t help it. She will fight her 17 yo brother and 19 yo sister if she see’s us laughing or enjoying a conversation. She goes to my moms once a week and I get to enjoy some me time or even time with my other kids.

Duct tape him to the wall

Enjoy it cause once they hit like 12 she’s not going to want to be bothered by you. This is so sad