How can I help ease her mind?

Teen mum here. Vaginally. And the other 5 after him have all been vaginally. Her mum sounds like a C**t. Were all thinking of your teenage step daughter. She can do this :heart::heart::heart: being pregnant is a miracle in itself. She needs to savour every moment and ignore her birth mother.

I know someone who had her baby at 15 and her baby was completely healthy, it all depends on her body.

I had my son at 18 no problems at delivery at all he was a very healthy 8.5 pound 22 in a half inches long blue eyed blonde haired baby

Mt daughter is 17 her first baby she got pregnant at 14 had him at 15 everything went as well as it could, her second baby normal delivery but she was slightly early but is healthier than most(she’s my beautiful chunky cheeks). Her mom was so wrong to scare her like that she’s need support and love this is gonna be the hardest most rewarding experience she will ever have.

I had my first born at 17 an he came natural an was perfectly fine…

that is such bullshit… age doesn’t determine if you need a c-section ( I was 15 when I gave birth the first time and it was all natural they didn’t even have time for drugs she came so fast) go with her to the doctor and have a questions session where she is soothed. She is an adult (almost). and enjoy being a grandma

That’s so sad. Poor girl was so excited to share with her mom and then to have her scare her for no good reason. Women in there young teens and 20’s have been having babies for centuries. It’s the old cows like me who have the increased risk of c-sections. I’m so glad she has you to be there when her mom obviously is lacking normal parental skills.

2 Likes

Let her read other teen mum experiences?
I was 16 & pregnant 17 when I had my bub she was nearly 9 pounds & I had a natural delivery no issues or complications for me or bub

I got pregnant with my oldest at 17 and had her at 18 . No complications and Vaginal. She was 3 days late and perfectly healthy and I have had 2 more pregnancies since full term and Vaginal . She will be just fine

I had my first kiddo at 18, no C-section, he is fine and healthy. Every person and pregnancy is different. Yes with EVERY pregnancy of EVERY age there could be complications, but now days there are many things they can do to help prevent, fix, or help the issues. (I’m preg with baby #8 and have had different issues in different pregnancies, but my babies are good) Tell her she is strong and amazing. Her body can do this.

Everyone around me had kids young. They are all alive, normal and well. C sections happen to ANYONE at anytime. It has nothing to do with age.

1 Like

I had my daughter at 18, I fell pregnant a week before my 18th and I’m killing it as a mum. My daughter is happy and healthy and nearly 3 years old

2 Likes

I had my first baby 16 and second at 18. Gave birth just fine, no c-section. But there’s also plenty of mamas older than a teen who need a c-section :woman_shrugging: age has nothing to do with it

I had my son at 17 and he was a big baby 9lb 6oz all was fine with a safe natural delivery, just keep supporting her and answer any questions she has support is the thing she will remember

Let her speak to her doctor that’s the only person that’ll settle her mind.

I was 17 when i got pregnant with my 1st and had him at 18. I did end up with an induction at 38 weeks because of preeclamsia, and that can happen to anyone. Ended in a csection because of distress from the pitocin. I just had my 2nd in October at 24. I was gonna attempt a VBAC if i went into labor. Next time i will be allowing my body all the time it needs to go into labor. Having a csection is not the end. Having my son when i was a teen is what was meant to be for me. Your 1st is gonna be your best friend. Having a child young is not an issue. What is gonna be her biggest battle and you and her dad are gonna hwve to be her BIGGEST advocate. Her doctors and team will try to bully her into stuff and treat her like a kid. Stand up for her.

Even if she does its not the end of the world. I had 3 cesareans. Love my cesareans. Dont let her overthink it.
She may. She may not. Either way she doesn’t need to worry about what ifs… Bad for baby. She just needs foot rubs, hugs and 10pm icecream runs.
It can be a scary time for them. So make sure she enjoys her pregnancy. Its a blessing and a sacred time.

Interview doulas in your area. Help her to feel confident in her body and her ability to birth. A doula can provide her with so much valuable, evidence based information. Truly and invaluable resource especially to a new mom that is unsure of her options.

Just inform her. Listen to her worried and get a good Midwife/doula that will listen to her and treat her like a human being rather than a teen/child that has done something wrong.

She should do some reading. There are a multitude of times it goes perfect and vice versa.

Tell her that is a lie . I am a mother of 3 I was 17 pregnant w my first and had her natural. Please encourage and love her .
My parents threw me out of the house because I wouldn’t get an abortion and I struggled a lot .

Tell her that is a lie . I am a mother of 3 I was 17 pregnant w my first and had her natural. Please encourage and love her .
My parents threw me out of the house because I wouldn’t get an abortion and I struggled a lot .

I was just 19 when I gave birth, no C section, no stitches. Best thing I ever did was have my children young - my birth with my 3rd at 28 was the hardest!! xx

Let her know that people have been having babies for a very long time including young ages , and there is plenty of support for her

How cruel, and false.
Talk with some doctors or wid wives, I was 17 and pregnant literally 2 month from my 18th birthday at birth and everything went completely natural and he and I were born healthy.
Stress is unsafe for pregnancy and can cause complications. I guess I’m not completely helping but I do hope you find a way to ease her mind

I got pregnant at 17 no csections natural labour only gas and air. My daughter is now 15 and thriving to become a doctor. Teen mums get so much negativity but she can do it like thousands others have

Elizabeth Barron I had to have a c-section because my daughter was a whole month to the day early. I didn’t dilate past 4 in 2 days, and she spent 6 weeks in the Fort Worth children’s hospital. She was 4 pounds 6 oz… now she has a full ride to A&M. It happens, but great things come from the difficult things. And it was one week after I turned 18

1 Like

I had my daughter at 17, no c section. All natural vaginal delivery to a healthy 7lb baby :heart:

I had my first baby at 18 (got pregnant at 17) no c-section, I’ve had 3 more babies since then I’m 24, no c-section. I have an old friend who had a baby at 15 and she was tiny tiny, no c-section. It’s not an age thing, it’s different for everyone, and If she ends up needed one, you just tell her you know she’s strong enough to do it, and once it’s over it’s over, and remind her that she’ll look at her baby and do it again if she had too!

1 Like

Get in touch with your local parent & baby group, they may be able to refer her to a younger mums group where she will find support & most importantly make friends with women in the same situation… I was 17 when I had my son, it was a rocky pregnancy (but that’s down to the way my body dealt with the pregnancy, it was the same when pregnant at 27 lol) …. I had my son naturally, in the care of fantastic midwives, I was induced due to him being 16 days late (again, induced with my second @ 27) …. An antenatal class really helped me with my second, I felt more prepared for what was about to happen & learned what was actually happening to my body during the whole process - may be worth booking a couple with her.

I wish your step daughter all the luck in the world :orange_heart: Congratulations & enjoy every & cherish moment it’s such a small section of your life in comparison, rest & take care of yourself

I was 22 when I had my first no compilations during pregnancy but had a c section bc my body was just stubborn and would dilate 3 days in was enough I asked to proceed with a c section. My 2nd baby was 14 months later :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart: also wanted a c section bc of having them so close. They are both happy and healthy and beautiful. So my advice is even if you have to have a c section you don’t feel it and they don’t let you see anything just your baby and you don’t feel pain. Do some walk throughs of different hospitals and see witch one she would be most comfortable with. Just remember no matter how labor goes you will have you baby in the end.

You can tell her it’s not the case but go with her to her OB appointment and talk to the doctor. That should ease her mind

1 Like

I had my first at 15 and it was a breeze compared to my second at 26. I had a natural birth with no pain relief tell her not to listen and not to worry xx

1 Like

Bless her dont agree with the mum scare mongering her but in its a possibility as pregnancys are all different. My daughter had my 1st grandchild at 20 his now 6mths old. She had a Cs due to lack off movement. And was scared but told her better to both be safe. She said was scared would cry to me but just told her all is fine and has all the support needs. Best to look at all options so when time comes she’s prepared to have a healthy baby with out stress. X

Remind her that 100 years ago 17 was a very normal age to have kids and and c sections wernt very common until well after the 1940s

3 Likes

I got pregnant at 17. Had my baby 11 days after my 18th birthday. I’ve had 2 kids total now and had both of them naturally.

I had my first at 19, my best friend had her first at 16 and neither of us had a C-section, tell her to ignore her mum because she’s only saying all that stuff to scare her into not going through with the pregnancy, if she wants the baby it’s her choice

Just cuddle her and say everything will be OK, guide her as you go also most cultures marry and have children early and it’s been that way for years❤ I wish I had children early but I haven’t even had my first and I’m 23, I wanted to be a young mum so you can have a massive family young, experience growing with your own family, travel and do everything whilst you have all the youth, she gets to be a young Grandma!!!

I had my daughter at 18 shes 20 now everything was fine natural delivery only on gas and air I went on too have another 5 after my eldest x

Her mom’s out of order I can understand the shock and upset but it’s not fair to scare the girl. What’s done is done. I was 16 when I was pregnant and delivered my eldest just after I turned 17 I was OK but I did have to have a c section but I was fine and so was my daughter

I was pregnant at 16. Great pregnancy, no complications, did have a c section though as baby was 6 weeks early and coming feet first. Hes now 14.

I had my 1st baby at 16…naturally…then had my twins 10 months later…c-section. Teen parenthood is hard, but not the end of the world. Good luck to you all!

I had my first child at 16. No c section or even medicine needed. He was my easiest tbh. That was 19 years ago

1 Like

I had my first child at 17, vaginal birth and my daughter was perfect. I’ve had two more children since and they too have been totally fine, never had a c-section with any or complications xx

I have had 2 emergency c-sections, when I was was 21 and 24 and its best to talk about every option if possible, when I had my first son I felt like a failure because I couldn’t birth naturally and was really depressed, second baby I tried naturally and ended up with another emergency c-section due to complications again but this time round it didn’t bother me and I knew I was his mama regardless of how I birthed them… Just get her to destress as it isn’t good for her or baby x

Her mom was out of order. Tell her a parent is by choice not blood. Tell her very pregnancy is different no matter the person age. And complications can happen but thats just life.

My first pregnancy 21 I had complications and high risk

Second I was 30 no complications.

Your age doesn’t matter your willingness to be a great parent does and that includes owning your mistakes and all the crazy bumps and hiccups in the path you travel.

Let her know you and her dad love her very much and will help her through anything.

Congratulations to her. And to u an her dad.x jus tell her u will be there for her all the way thru her pregnancy, an will help her aswel. That will take alot of stress of her, knowing that she has support. Am sure she will do fine having u, an not to listen to her mum, i had my daughter when i turned 17, no problems etc, an noone new i was pregnant at the time.,an delivered her at home, my eldest is now 24 and has 4 beautiful kids of her own, i was there for 3 of her births x. Jus be there an support her as u are doing, u will be a fab granny, an she will b a fab mum x

I had my first baby at the age of 15. They will do a c section if requested or for medical reasons. They really do their best to not need to do it. A lot of birth and labor classes. Let her be open minded. If she wants an epidural allow her to get one. If she feels she wants to power through help her. Be her biggest supporter and rock.
It will be hard but please help her and reassure her. It can be a very scary and hard thing to go through and deal with. Her momma is out of line. Ues it is a shock but there is no need to be so out right ugly about it

How cruel is that :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Teen moms make wonderful parents and have no more problems in labour than any other woman .
If her body wasn’t ready to give birth she wouldn’t have fallen pregnant…mother nature is clever like that.
Reassure her that her bio mom is talking trash and tell her midwife whats happened so she can reassure her too.
Congratulations :tada:

Be loving and excepting

I watched a lot of birthing vids on YouTube.

1 Like

My mom had me at 17, vaginally, no issues. I’m 33 now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I was 18 I was pregnant. I went to a school specifically for pregnant and teen moms under 18. Ranging from 15-18. We all graduated got our diplomas and are now almost 30, most of us with multiple kids, good jobs, and amazing lives. Being a young mom isn’t a sin, just means you get more time to love you baby, and you get to grow WITH them. she will do just fine with some love and support.

2 Likes

Talk to her and if she needs to talk to her Dr to reassure her. She will not need a c section unless she has a problem that has nothing to do with her age

Tell her to go to her OBGYN with her worries. The doctor knows more than her mother (who I’m guessing has zero medical degrees or experience). That should ease her mind.

1 Like

i had my first baby at 17 perfect pregnancy natural delivery and a healthy 8’8lb baby hope all goes well for tell her not to worry x

First you need to tell her that no that is not true she will not probably have to have a C-section. Yes it is always possible but that is not something she needs to be focused on. I have known numerous, numerous teen mothers and none of them had c sections.
Her mother sounds like a lovely creature. :roll_eyes:

You sound Ike a great step mother. Try to ease her mind with concerns/questions as you continue to be there for her. Pregnancy can be unpredictable and have complications for any woman, but it doesn’t mean it will be for her. Tell her just try to be prepared for anything that happens, but always hope for the very best. :blue_heart:

I had my first baby at 18 and had absolutely no complications it was the easiest of all my pregnancies! I remember watching a lot of one born every minute to help me know what to expect lol x

I no plenty of people who have had kids around that age natural and c section they were all fine. everyone is diffeent just cause shes young dosent mean anything tbh i think her mum needs to be a little bit more kinda

I had a baby when I was 17, I didn’t keep her but it was my healthiest pregnancy and easiest L&D

Wth would she need a c section just bc of her age? Her mom is crazy . At 17 shes almost an adult anyway. Yea lil young in my opinion but… Her mom is toxic

Remind her of how many teen mothers there are out there and ensure that you will help her have a healthy and successful pregnancy.

While being 17 and pregnant isn’t ideal, what’s done is done, and if she is choosing to keep the baby, all you and her dad can do is be supportive and teach her as she goes.

Complications can arise for any mother of any age and her biological mother is a douche bag for adding stress to her at an already stressful time. She’s young, so of course it’s going to be hard for her, but at any age, pregnancy should be a happy time. So you and Dad encourage healthy habits, regular doctors visits, self care and just be supportive of her!

1 Like

Tell her not to worry go to the doctor ask questions tell what her Mom said and they will answer honestly

Rubbish!

I was a teen mum. I had four kids before I turned 21 and I didn’t have any complications or a c section. I sailed through the pregnancies and births!

I had another baby 20 years later.

It was a damn sight easier being a young mum than it is being a mum in my forties :joy:

Her mum was bang out of order and she doesn’t need her spouting crap at her. You need to get her to the drs and discuss rationally and sensibly, with those who have decades of training and experience, what will happen next. Do all the antenatal classes, take the folic acid, eat well and take care of herself. She may well need a c-sec but that’s down to any complications she may have during pregnancy but that’s a low risk if she’s otherwise healthy and also not a given as if she has a textbook pregnancy then she will have a natural birth. Her mum should not have told her that as she doesn’t know. It’s not a condition of a teen pregnancy that you have a section. Shit I was in my mid and late 30’s and both mine were sections but that was because I had low lying placenta in the first so she couldn’t get out any other way, and my cervix wouldn’t soften to let my 2nd out and she wanted out and section was again the only way! Calm her. Reassure her and you be the one who helps and supports her as clearly her mother won’t be

Just tell her every pregnancy is different. Some have to have c sections others don’t. But just bc she is a teenager doesn’t mean she is gonna have to have a c section. I was 16 when I had my first baby and I did it natural no c section. My aunt was 16 when she had her baby no c section.

She has more of a chance of having an incompetent cervix…

That’s terrible. Her mother was just trying to hurt her. My sister was younger then 17 when she had her daughter, no issues. I was 19 when I had my first child, no issues. I worked at pediatrics office and saw a handful of older teens come in with babies, with no issues, all natural, no c sections.

Just because she’s 17 does not mean she needs a c section. She can also talk to her DR about any of those concerns to help ease her mind.

Her Mom wasn’t meant to have kids. 17 is young but not impossible. Good luck! Let her know to try to keep toxic people at a distant, and to put this bundle of joy first.

Tell her to breathe and don’t stress herself out. Stress isn’t good for her or the baby. Have her talk with her OB about her questions or concerns. Doctors are more than willing to talk about any concerns she might have. Tell her to keep her head up. Also you definitely sound like a good step mom for looking out after this young lady.

Have her contact me. I was a teen mom 3 times. 3 kids by 16 yrs old. I am now a mom of 5. A gigi to 1 with another grandbaby on the way. I am 39 yrs old, still with my husband 27 yrs & counting. No c-sections. :woman_facepalming:. Poor child. Her mom sucks. What a mess people are these days. Tell her she will be fine, a great mother( because her mom wasn’t) her labor is going to be fine.
Have a blessed & never stressed day

3 Likes

Congratulations to your step daughter :revolving_hearts: best advice I can give you is to keep up the great work of being there for her ! I went through 2 pregnancy first one was a emergency c section second was again a c section but a plan one . . . I went through both pregnancy with out my mom there it’s tough but I had family to talk to during my pregnancy

Plenty of teens have babies daily, low % are c-section due to complications

I was 17 when I got pregnant with my first I didn’t have to have a c section healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby

I was 16 and pregnant and had a fully natural birth! She is now 22 and the most amazing human I have ever known my entire life!

That mom sucks, but also there’s nothing wrong with a c-section…

I was pregnant at 16 & had my daughter at 17! I was about 110 pounds and had an 8 pound 7 ounce baby. Natural birth, no pain meds, no complications. She got a little stuck and they cut me a little bit so I wouldn’t split, and sewed me back up & used the suction cup. She will be fine❤️

Why would shecsay that?? This is scary enough. That was an ignorant thing to put on her mind. I had my first at 16 vaginally, most likely if she’s healthy she’ll be fine.
Then again, their is a chance for ANY mom to deal with this.
Assure by telling her whichever happens down the road, the medical care at the hospital will do there best to care for her and the child. Assure her it’s what they do there and she will be ok.

I got married and pregnant at age 16 birthed my first kid at 17 i did have to have csection bc my son was a very big 9lb boy with a head like a basketball but i had 3 kids all very healthy 2 before i graduated highschool and 3 by the time i was 20

All I’m saying is I was a teen mom my boy is now 10 and happy :slightly_smiling_face: no c section

I was 17 when I found out I was pregnant with my first. She was delivered, past her due date, vaginally. Age doesn’t necessarily mean you will definitely have a C-section— I didn’t have a C-section until I delivered my 3rd baby at 25 & I’m pregnant with my 4th, I’m 28 & the doctor sees no reason why I can’t deliver naturally.

All of this to say, every pregnancy & baby is different. I was a single mom for 2 years & eventually met my husband who adopted my daughter. People are going to be judge mental but at the end of the day, everything will work itself out & she is going to grow as an individual & mom!

1 Like

Her mum sounds like a twat

4 Likes

Glad she has good supportive dad and step mum

3 Likes

I had my first baby (9 pounds, 4 ounces) vaginally at 18. I would have preferred the C-Section. But my second child was only 7 pounds and I pushed her out in 4 minutes after receiving my epidural. I think having kids young was actually a blessing, helped my body bounce back quicker and even though the road was hard at first, I’m happy that I get to love my kids longer in this life-time and it’s kind of cool to think that I will only be 36 when my first child turns 18!

As a mother it’s her job to make sure her child knows about all the possibilities. My children (male and female) know all there is to know about sex, and all the consequences, and all the possible consequences of those consequences. Teens aren’t meant to have kids, as they are still kids themselves, and her life will be more difficult now. Your stepdaughter should be scared, being pregnant, delivering a baby, and becoming a parent is a huge deal and literally anything can happen. When I was a teenager and had my first kid we both almost died, and had to have an emergency C-section, I didn’t even know that was possible until it was happening. Also, it’s possible mom knows about her side of the family and common issues requiring C-sections.

The best thing for your stepdaughter is information. Pregnancy and delivering babies isn’t always magical and I don’t know why everyone pushes that.

Sure, her life isn’t going to be crap because she’s having a baby, but it will change significantly. She needs to know what is likely to happen, what could possibly happen, and how to deal with those things. Educate her.

I got pregnant at 17. I had her right after I turned 18. It was very scary but everything turned out fine

I see why she doesn’t see “mom” much … Congratulations to her and I hope she tries to enjoy herself as much as possible!

2 Likes

I got pregnant with my first child at 17 and gave birth when I was 18. My baby was 9lbs 7oz and they never ever even mentioned a c section to me. Birthing process went well and I now have an almost 6 year old awesome little girl.

I was a mom at 15 and 18. I had no complications with either, they are in their 20s now and grown. Honestly, they were the best thing to happen to my hubbs and I. We grew up for them and are so proud of the wonderful humans they have become. Tell her to just know that this baby will love her unconditionally and the good times will out way the hard times. :cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom:

1 Like

I was fifteen when I got pregnant and married. My body accommodated that baby no problem and the two that followed. My husband and I have been married 35 years, have three grown children and ten grandchildren. You tell her that her body knows what to do and everything will be just fine! :heart:

Do research together show her that what her mother says has no weight and her mother only told her that just to scare her make her feel bad take parenting classes with her tell her to ask the doctor questions if he’s worried just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you’re going to have complications

3 Likes

I was 16 when I found out 17 when I gave birth, I didn’t need a c section, he is now 8…
Feel free too message me
It is a scary thing to go threw at any age.

Obviously mom has no idea what she is talking about. I had my first child a month before I turned 18 and I had her vaginally with no meds. Hell when I was in a teen parent class there was a 12 year old who gave birth vaginally. Unless the baby is breech or too big or something happens where they need to get the baby out right away she can deliver vaginally. Otherwise she can deliver a very healthy baby naturally

Wow. Great mom skills :clap: Why would you want to scare your daughter to death?? My daughter got pregnant at 19 and did fine. The doctors will do whatever they consider best for her. I had 3 c sections. Not the preferred choice ,but I lived through each one. Just assure her and be there for her. That’s all you can do.

Awe she went to her mother in a moment where she truly needed her😥 that mother has no soul

4 Likes

Congratulations to her. But just bc she’s a teen doesn’t mean she will need a c-section my niece had a baby at 16 and had it natural… all you can do is be there for her bc it sounds to me like her mom is just trying to scare but why? Is she jealous bc daughter is with dad…Make sure to be there for her she’s going to need someone supportive on her side sit down talk to her explain mom knows nothing she’s not a doctor

I had a vaginal delivery at 17. But just so she knows 100% that her mother is a lying twat waffle here are the actual statistics on the rates of c-sections by age. Cesarean delivery rate by mother age U.S. 1996-2021 | Statista

I was 17 when I had my daughter. I’ve been with her dad for almost 16 years come March. My body accommodated her just fine and she was 8.9.

1 Like

She needs to take responsibility and educate herself then if she plans on keeping this baby.

1 Like

I was pregnant at 17. My beautiful daughter was born natural and on 1 of her estimated due dates. She’s 24 now with 2 adorable little girls and is the best mother I’ve ever seen.