How can I increase my sons vocabulary?

I called help me grow and my son is starting speech next week! It’s so nice and a great free program!

2 Likes

My 2 and a half year old says 7 words. She’s been in speech for 6 months it’s only a day a week for 30 min so pretty pointless. I have had learning shows on tv since she was a baby she just won’t talk. She understands everything you say though.

Sounds about average to me. Keep doing what you’re doing :heart:
My daughter was speaking about that much at that age too. Maybe get some flash cards with the picture and word on it, mine loved those and they really seemed to help! I also ended up just putting her in a Montessori daycare 3 days a week when she was about 2.5 because I loved their curriculum and wanted her to have more social interaction with kids her age. She’s 4 now and her vocabulary is pretty expansive I think and she can already read simple sentences. My friend put her child in speech therapy and that helped a lot. They will usually make that next vocabulary leap whenever they are ready.

1 Like

Hes 18 months old, chill!! He sounds like he’s doing good anyway. Myne is 17 months and babbles, says a few words. They just copy. If your really concerned read a book every night I found that my oldest started talking alot more after I’d read to him every night before bed. I honestly wouldn’t worry don’t rush it

19 Likes

My LG is 23 months and only says 5 words, she is attempting others all the time x

Sometimes all you can do is what your doing and he will decide when he is ready. And then look out cuz he will start talking like you and I. Two of my grandkids were that way.

I agree he’s coming on well. Often a child says a word over n over then doesn’t say it for a while. All part of learning. Sounds like you’re both doing a great job

Let him be… My son didn’t talk one word until he was 2 years old and then he started saying sentences he’s observing your son he’s observing everything he’s listening he’s taking it all in he’s very smart leave him alone and let him be don’t push him don’t try to make him be somebody he’s not babies are born with their own personalities.

Sounds like he’s doing great to me, just keep doing what you’re doing and more.words will come, good job mummy x

1 Like

Nothing to worry about. Another year and you won’t keep him quiet

2 Likes

He says more than my boy did at two years old!! Now he’s three and doesn’t be quiet :joy:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry. My son who is almost 9 is a fluent reader, very articulate with his words but he barely spoke before he turned 2. It all happened quickly after that. I was worried as my first child spoke much earlier but I shouldn’t have compared them really.

4 Likes

My son who is now 4, 5 in October this year, has only started speaking in sentences over the past year. Before this he had his own language, which was mainly sounds of the things he wanted, or his own version of the word. It was fine for us as his family as we understood him, but it wasn’t so great when he started nursery and struggled to communicate - caused the occasional frustrated tantrum. We were on the waiting list for over 2 years for mainstream SLT input, ultimately we paid private for 2 sessions and with the massive amount of help from family, friends and nursery staff helping him break down the words, etc - the difference is unreal! You would never have thought he struggled.

There are loads of games and activities online that we used to help him learn the formation and sounding of words, breaking them down, etc. For example, we had a spelling game whereby he would pick out the letters of the animal he saw and we would repeat the word over and over.

Our SLT advised it could take a child up to 50 times hearing a word before it even registers with them - therefore repetition is the key - they more they hear it, the greater the understanding will be. It’s worked wonders with our boy, and he speaks fluent sentences now, amazing xx

1 Like

Are you using adult words with him? Like” water” not wa-wa … etc…… singing and music help to form vocabulary!
The cooing sounds that babies make is singing!
Reading is still a great way and so many benefits as well!
Talk to him as you do other adults …. Real words.

A mother knows best. If you’re concerned about your child’s development in any way book an appointment with a children’s health professional.

My son is 2 next month and has never said a single word, he only grunts and moans. He’s on the waiting list to be assessed for autism. Be happy your little one is doing what they are. Sounds about right to me x

My son didn’t start fully talking till he was 2.5 … now he doesn’t stop :joy:

1 Like

Different children progress differently. I spoke loads before 18 months while my brother didn’t speak at all until he could speak in full sentences - he did the same with moving, didn’t crawl, just waited until he could run!

My 3 year old didn’t talk until she was a couple of months past her 2nd birthday. Now she is way ahead of a lot of other children the same age and never shuts up. My younger daughter is 2 next month and is exactly the same so and doesn’t really talk - don’t worry. Once they pick it up it seems to just come at speed

2 Likes

He’ll get there when he’s ready, my little girl is the same age a jabbers away and says the odd word but she’s trying and she’ll get there in her own time x

My daughter hardly talked until she was about 3. (Even then she would only talk to my mum, my self and occasionally my partner. She is 4 1/2 now and never shuts up haha.
My step daughter is 3 1/2 while she has the capability to talk and when you get her alone she is a little chatter box if she is around the other kids she just let’s them speak for her.

Nursery rhymes honestly kids thrive with language singing nursery rhymes and reading books x

My daughter is 15 months old and says very little but can show u how to do everything and loves books so she will talk in her own time

My 18 month old says dada that’s it

Mine is nearly 2 and a half, all he can say is “dad” and “ready, steady” go” hahahah

1 Like

Add CCTV to your tv… he’ll read the words as well as hear them

My eldest had problems with his speech. He has speech therapy and its helped. He’s 6 years old and still struggles with some words. I wouldn’t worry just yet though. Your child will pick it up in their own time

Read to him a lot. Been reading too my kid since he came home from the NICU. He was born at 29 weeks

He’s 18 months old. Sounds like your doing really well.
He will pick up more every day.
Most importantly , don’t use that boo boo language. Talk to him.like you would a dear friend

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I found a bobby pin in my house that was not mine: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

He is saying above what he should be saying ,he is doing great

1 Like

Get him tested, he may need speech therapy.

3 Likes

Read to him. Get him to repeat words. Let him ask for things if he points do not get it make him use his words. Do not finish his sentences make him work for the privilege.

he’s still like extremely young. my daughter is 11 months and still only says mama and dada & that’s just because they’re easy sounds to make.

Many may be against it BUT… get him a tablet and download YouTube kids. Let him watch learning videos on there. My 4 year old has been watching a tablet since he was about 1 and his vocabulary is HUGE. Some words he knows and knows the definition and it’s words that aren’t even used every day. He is very fluent and very intelligent for his age. My 2 year old has also been watching the tablet since about a year. He has a large vocabulary as well, and knows how to express his wants and needs. He isn’t as fluent since we believe he has a speech issue but still very smart and a fairly large vocab.

Any time he wants something tell him to use his words. But at the same time I wouldn’t worry about it- my oldest was speaking in full sentences at about 15-16 months and my youngest didn’t consistently talk until about 2 and now she has the bigger vocabulary. Every kid is different but if you’re really concerned just talk to his doctor about it.

He knows more than that. Boys can tend to use their words a little later. My son’s daycare wanted to classify my son as special Ed because he wasn’t talking yet at that age. I had him actually evaluated and they said he was fine. He’s now an honor student with one of the most advanced vocabularies I’ve heard even in adults. Don’t rush him. Let him be a baby.

That sounds good for his age but if you want to increase his knowledge just do it organically. Talk to him like of he was older. No baby talk. Talk about your day as its happening. I did that with all 4 of my kids. My youngest was super chatty and talking in full sentences by 18 months. Memorized movies and songs and sang them randomly throughout her day

My daughter is 2 and literally says 4 or 5 words. He’s fine.

1 Like

Be patient mama! Yall are doing great job! Keep doing what you’re doing!

Netflix cocomelon a learning show very musical