How can I keep my toddler safe in public when he doesn't like to hold my hand?

Use a harness and leash. I did with my youngest 2. Peace of mind and safety

1 Like

Use a harness and leash u can by them at Walmart

Child harness and leash

Buy a child harness. Ignore people who make remarks that children aren’t animals. Without the harness, I would never have been able to take my son out. He was a sprinter, and I got tired of running after him all the time. People actually caught him before he ran into the street. You do what you need to do to protect your child.

143 Likes

My kids had a choice. They could walk with me holding my hand or ride in a stroller. I explained it wasn’t acceptable to run amok. If they tried it, we either left or went and sat in the car until they were ready to behave. You are the parent. They listen to you, not the other way around. They will test their limits, but hold firm and let them know that you love them too much to let them behave like that.

130 Likes

A leash for sure . One of my kids was a runner . I recommend the harness kind so they can’t take it off .
Saved me a lot of stress and kept him safe :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I never had anyone say something to me , but I had a coworker make a comment about a women at a store where I worked years ago, I looked him straight in the eye and said “Why don’t you want her to keep her child safe ?
Were you planning to kidnap him?”
He stutter no and never said another word.

43 Likes

ah, I had an Ornery Child too❤️ Best thing I ever did was buy a harness that went around his chest, with a leash. He had freedom to run, and I could pull him back from danger.
BTW, the only time I got negative comments about his leash were from folks with no kids. Other parents would always say, “Wow! Where can I get one ?”

22 Likes

Use a harness. People wouldn’t like it, but he has two hands free, and can’t get to far from you.
My son was a runner, I took a lot of flax from strangers, but my boy was safe.

11 Likes

Backpack harness…idc if it looks like my kid is on a leash. They feel free and I feel safe/sane. They have cute ones now too. As he got a bit bigger, id keep a backup pull up in it or a couple small toys he liked.

16 Likes

I bought my grandson a thing that looked like a dinosaur it fit on him like a back pack and his tail you could hold on to. He was a runner after a while I could have him hold the tail and he would stay with us. I know people don’t like to put their children in a “leash” but in these days I am not sure I would go out with a small child without one. I would rather be safe than sorry! Yes I had people say things about it but I told them to mind their own business.

24 Likes

I used a backpack leash for my oldest daughter when we went to her doctors appointments in Milwaukee. The doctors praised us because she was safe, was able to run, but also stayed out of the doctors way. She was also able to carry some of her favorite toys to the appointment.

3 Likes

You are the parent you have to take control of the situation. If he doesn’t want to listen then you put a leash on him. Let him know that you won’t take the leash off if he doesn’t want to hold your hand. I used one on my daughter when she was small in Disney. It connected to her wrist and connected to my wrist. It was the only way I could keep from losing her in a crowd.

6 Likes

Every child is different, everyone’s parenting experience is different. The “leash” has been a lifesaver (literally) for some parents, and for others, carrying the child or a stern word works. Do what works best for you, and anybody who has a negative opinion on your method can go f@#* themselves. Safe is best, do what you gotta do.

8 Likes

Had a harness for 2 of my kids. I’m rather tall and it was painful for me to lean over all the time to hold hands. Neither of them minded it at all. I personally didn’t give 2 sh**s what everyone else thought. People are too judgy when they have no idea the situation. Whatever keeps your kids safe is what you need to do :blush:

19 Likes

Spank their butt! Your the parent and your letting your child pull rank on you! You make them hold your hand, put a leash on the child(they make leashes for children). My kids either do as they are told or get spanked and grounded. It’s been that way since they were little, they do understand.

14 Likes

Backpack leash! I used one with my wild child (yes he got spankings also) when we went to crowded places like the zoo or county fairs. Grocery stores I made him ride in the cart.

3 Likes

Backpack leash! It gave him freedom, and he loved putting little toys/snacks in it. I hated feeling like I was walking him though, so I would tie the end to myself, usually my belt loop.

6 Likes

People who make remarks about the backpack leash are critical for no reason. The child actually has more freedom to move with the leash than when being held by the hand.

17 Likes

Forty years ago, I got a harness for my hyperactive son. If he wanted to leave the house he would bring it to me. He has grown up well-adjusted.

12 Likes

My grandson was the same way. I used reverse psychology on him. I made him think I was afraid and I needed him to hold my hand so I would be safe. He is 12 now and still holds my hand when we go places. He will even tell me wait granny I got you .:joy::rofl:

11 Likes

I would look into a toddler backpack leash. I know some people might look at you funny having your toddler on a leash but better to be safe than sorry.

13 Likes

#1 Dont give him a choice. He holds your hand or rides.
#2 get a harness style backpack with a “leash” type hold on (and still holds your hand) so he cant run, until he learns to stay by you.
#3 take him out for walks around the park or block in your neighborhood more often(daily) To practice good walking habits. Reward good behaviors.

10 Likes

Toddler leash my kiddo had a super cute Monkey one and loved it…he hated holding hands and was a fast lil runner so it worked beautifully…btw he’s almost 13 and has no memory of ever wearing it!

5 Likes

I hate to say it, but use a child harness. Opinions differ on this, “Oh, my God, your kid is on a leash?!” I would rather have a kid on a leash than a missing or dead one.

8 Likes

I remember this with my granddaughter at that age and I pointed out at how the grown up boys and girls were holding their parents hands and she soon got it. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes and staying calm and explaining the situation can help.

I put mine on a leash backpack. If I didn’t, she would surely have died by now. I’m all for keeping my kids attached to me & not forcing a stroller if they fight it. But they must wear their special backpacks.

2 Likes

I had a “runner” and I didn’t give him a choice- stroller or grocery cart. When his younger siblings were allowed to walk, he finally got the hint. I did have a leash I used in airports.

7 Likes

I had to use a leash for my now 10yr old…he was a runner. Always said I would never use one them things, then came number 4…its was the only option to keep him safe…

1 Like

I’m a stickler on some issues. He needs to learn some things are NOT negotiable. Maybe a reward system (a star chart) for listening and holding hands nicely. Be sure to get him out somewhere where he can run

4 Likes

I always tell my grandchildren to hold my hand to me so I don’t fall kids love to help and feel like a big person. I also used a leash on my youngest I was told to be careful some one might turn me into child protection services

4 Likes

I had quads and used the backpack leash - only I called it the backpack tether! I had people say snarky things, but their safety always came first! They liked them and enjoyed packing snacks in them!

2 Likes

I once saw on Supernanny that if they are a runner and won’t hold your hand, they need to hold on to the stroller as you push it. Gives them independence but makes them accountable. It worked for one of my grandkids who was a runner.

4 Likes

You have to keep your children safe and that means he may not like it but your job as a parent is to parent!

5 Likes

If he won’t hold your hand take him home eventually he’ll figure it out want to go with me hold my hand that’s the rules…teach him now otherwise he’ll never learn…I’m a mother of 4 grown children worked for me…and my grandchildren

3 Likes

Toddler leash is the only way!

3 Likes

Get a leash and put it on him. They make them for kids just for that reason. That allows them to move around but you still can keep them close.

3 Likes

I used a backpack that had a leash attached to it. My daughter when she was little always wanted to be independent. She was quick and curious. Perfect way to give her freedom and me security.

1 Like

You look him in the eyes and tell him if he doesn’t hold your hand he will be staying home. And follow up. Also a child harness works.

3 Likes

I told my hyper son, you can either hold my hand or we go home? You can’t negotiate with a terrorist or a toddler! Be the parent. Good luck darlin

5 Likes

As much as some people hate them I would recommend the backpack harness with a leash. It allows him both hands for his own “freedom” but keeps him in sight and reach at all times. Bonus is you can store snacks (depending on the bag) and it’s hard to snatch a child that’s secure

1 Like

They make harnesses for toddlers. Different animals and there a life saver! My son was the run and dash so he had a monkey :monkey: harness. They are amazing.

1 Like

Use a harness leash. There are some cute ones with stuff thing attached.
He may have problems holding his arm up, or with his hands.
My daughter loved hers. Once I started using it I didn’t have any problems.

1 Like

Either stroller or the leash. It more important that your child be safe than worry about what others think.

4 Likes

I always used some kind of a leash. I didn’t care what people would say at least they were safe

Harness. Saved her life and my sanity and we both could enjoy the museum or whatever. The people making comments do not have a “wild child”. My wc was my third. Didn’t need it for two older but definitely for wc.

I use a backpack leash when I go hiking with my 4 year old. I found one that was shaped like a fox and he loves that he can carry his own snacks and water bottle with him.

Toddler leash. That’s what I’m about to get my 3 yr old.

2 Likes

I used a toddler leash with my son. I would attached it to his belt loop so he couldn’t undo it.

1 Like

I used to hold my toddler by the shirt or walk with my hand on their head slightly. She didn’t like having her hand held either. Explain it to them. Tell them if they go in the road that they are little and cars can’t see them and they can get ran over by the car. They will surprise you. Mine run from the road or stop on the side and let the car pass if a car is coming. Just telling them they can’t won’t work. You got to explain it’s to keep them safe.

I kept all my kids on a leash
I was teased but my kids never got kidnapped or run over or got their hands in places they didn’t belong

1 Like

My oldest could hold the side of his brothers stroller, and he did. His brother ended up needing a 5 point harness on everything and a monkey backpack with a long tail handle. It depends on the kid. Give them the rules up front, be consistent, and follow through with realistic consequences.

Buy a safety cord with a vest and tell him it’s for his safety and if he doesn’t hold hands he has to wear it. Make him wear it anyway. Closed in crowds can be very scary, and confusing. These things can save a life.

Harness. Only used with my little ones in busy, crowded places, but they LOVED theirs! They’re like backpacks with buckles and are soft stuffed animals. My daughter adored her puppy one and really wanted to wear it all the time! It was nice enabling her to look closer at things and have some independence, but also keeping her safe.

I had a “leash/harness “ for my oldest, when I had my youngest (21 months apart) in a stroller. The oldest rebelled- but he would walk by my side, holding my end of the harness in his hand - stayed right by my side- probably 1980-81

I had a leash that went on my dtrs hand. Yes i got dirty looks but she would climb out of the stroller and run as i was paying at the supermarket. It gave her a few feet of freedom but enough that i knew where she was especially when we were in stores or at the park

I’m 74 now. When I was a toddler my mother put a harness with a leash on me. Even in the late-40’s she got disapproving looks from strangers. She had no choice. I would take off into the street, into the water at Lake Michigan. That harness probably saved my life many times.

It’s called backpack leash , I’ve seen kids with them. It’s gives them a bit of room to roam, but you (of course) have the other end. Keeps kids from also being picked up ( and God forbid) taken

I have a 14 y/o grandson who would do this as a toddler. It was extremely scary. My dtr n law bought him a Teddy Bear napsack which did not look like a harness of any sort. He never protested, his personal items could be held in it and everyone felt more comfortable with the solution. You may want to have one customized with the child’s help at Build a Bear which makes them feel so special.

I had twins and when they were about 2 and I took them shopping with me I put the harness on them some women came up to me and said they are not animal s I replied to her I know but I also know where they are so go mind your own business

1 Like

I used to not like the idea of having a leash on my kids but after my son got lost in Santa Cruz California I made sure I had one from then on it us so much safer and CV his was back in the early 90s I was so scared

I would add the safety talk-my job(mom) is to keep you safe your (child)is to stay safe. You would have to talk safety a lot around the house , when your child does something that is safe or helpful tell them you are being safe. You could also make a social story using their picture of going to the store-from leaving the house to getting home and read it even when your not going anywhere. It talks time.

Backpack leash, hold the things and the kid.

1 Like

You can get a good harness that has combination locks on it pretty cheap. I used one for my son until he outgrew it. This way if you take him somewhere crowded no one can just slip it off him.

I used the backpack buddy leashes with my twins, they have autism so they didn’t understand the danger of running away.

1 Like

I had my son in a harness 50 years ago. Better to be safe than sorry!

Get a harness with a leash they sell em at Walmart in the baby aisle for like 13dollars they have cute stuffed animals on them. My girls loved them. And some people will shoot looks at you but I’d take looks over the safety of my children any day.

Get a leash/harness thing, then he won’t have to hold your hand, but can’t get very far… I had my son in the stroller & my daughter who was a toddler ran out in traffic when we were going back to our car in Targets parking lot when we lived in Cheyenne. She scared me to death, luckily the car that was close saw her… Then I got a harness thing…

1 Like

I had my kid on a kid leash for 2 years. Straight from the car seat to the leash. Everywhere everyone. She was fast and hated feeling controlled. Refused strollers climbed out of play pens etc. ignore anyone who tells you different! Those things are lifesavers!!

Is it possible that he’s on the spectrum maybe? I know 1st hand that is usually one of the telltale signs & no amount of “spankings” will help. I would definitely suggest a leash, harness, whatever, in the meantime until you get it figured out & that behavior can be corrected. Good luck Momma! I feel your pain.

Hitting a child only teaches it’s okay to hit. Keeping it save teaches it that love is the most important.

They make leashes specifically for children like this. They are cute little backpacks. The child feels independent while you still have control.

While at home, practice him holding your hand to go in the backyard. Tell him if he wants to play on his swing set or sandbox or whatever he likes, he has to hold your hand while you walk over. If he resists or runs, take him back in and tell him no swing set because he would not hold your hand. If you are consistent with it, he will learn. In the meantime, if you have to take him in public, either put him in a stroller or get a harness. Praise the heck out of him when he does hold your hand, especially if it is unprompted but be prepared to either leave or keep him confined to something if he doesn’t listen. It’s frustrating but you’ll get through it.

1 Like

Backpack leash! A two/three year old needs these!

1 Like

I had a leash for my daughter, it went on her wrist and the other end went on my wrist. I had to do it because as soon as her feet hit the ground she would take off running!

A toddler leash or use a lanyard, for like your keys, to one.of his belt loop on his pants. I use to.do that with my son

1 Like

Use a harness and a leash. People frown on it but it gives your child the freedom they want and gives you the security you want.

A backpack leash … ive used them on my kids… that easy they can have a bit of freedom but they can’t get away from you!

A harness and leash! They think they are in control, but you’ve got the power!

1 Like

Nothing wrong with using a leash to keep your child safe.

1 Like

When my daughter was young we used a harness on her. It worked great. Remember you are the parent and the one who is in charge.

1 Like

I’m in on harnessing. Not cruel. Don’t judge until u have a runner. Just want them safe. My son got out of shopping cart and walked on lettuce. Sprayed customers with hose. Ya last time. Harness straps them in carts too. He is 40 now his kids love that story l

Toddler back back leash. It is much safer.

1 Like

You can go home. Buy a lease. If you go home make sure he knows he didn’t follow the rules and this is his punishment

Put a leash on. Health wise safer than holding your hand for the shoulder. Gives him the freedom to run along but not get lost or hid in the clothing. Keep them safe.

Buy a child harness with a leash and put him on it. If he throws a fit tell him to hold your hand then. One or the other—-his choice!!!

I know many people have issues with "harnesses " referencing dog leashes BUT my grandson reacted the exact same way to handholding. His “harness” looked like a backpack but was a puppy dog with zipper pockets. He put all his special stuff in the pockets, he walked hands free and independent and he loved it. He named his puppy John. Oh yeah…John had a very long tail with a hand grip which never bothered him. Don’t let others judge you for protecting your child :+1:

My daughter bought a animal back pack with a leash on it. My grandson love wearing it & he was safe.

Ours does the same thing, he is just getting independent and when ours falls down cause they dont want to hold my hand i just pick them up and let them know or i just take his hand and start walking, if he does that i will let go so he doesnt hurt himself and then i take his hand again, its just them starting to be independent and not understand they can get hurt, mine isnt even 2 yet either

Apply a paddle to the seat of the problem. You have to be the parent. Quit trying to be their friend and be a parent. Kids can be snatched in the blink of an eye.It is to important to keep your kids with you. Let him know who is the boss. It is for his own saftey.

1 Like

Pick you child up carry them to the house or car and say we can’t go anywhere until you hold my hand. Explain why they need to hold your hand. Keep doing this eventually they will stop.

There is a great little back pack that I got at Walmart years ago for my grandson. The back pack has a cord attached so they can go at their speed, feel independent but you still have control of where they go. My grandson loved his and would grab it whenever we left the house. I think Walmart still carries them.

If you get a harness he’ll probably hate it SO MUCH, that you could probably make a deal about handholding instead. Unless hes just being a little jerk, then maybe refuse to take him in public until he can do what he’s told. 3 year olds understand way more than they let you think

1 Like

Leash. I was totally against them until my then 2 year old (he’s 11 now) darted to the street on a walk. He loved it. It was a stuffed animal harness that had a pocket for walk snacks. He was happy and safe.

Can will he sit in a basket or can you put one of those leashes on him. Not how safe that is though. Someobe could unleash that if they wanted to take him. May just have to make him sit in the basket. To scarey to not have control of him at all times

My twins who are now 42, had the wrist leashes when they were toddlers. I mean heck I had 2 of them running sometimes. Never had to use they with the other 3.

I got a harness for my daughter. People said it looked like I was leading a dog, but at least I knew where she was. There people at a rodeo that had a dog collar thru belt loops and a leash.

Sounds like you need to put your foot down and be the parent…

2 Likes

I use a handholder. My grandson’s love it I told them it was a bracelet connecting us.

You are the adult and Mother. Figure out a way that works. Period.

2 Likes

I would only use stroller or if that would happened i would pick him up and leave to the car, saying “ we don’t hold hands we dont go outisde and visit. If no cooperation be prepared to go home , and push it until he agrees to hold hands and the minutes he lets go, say oh no, we have to leave now we are not holding hands , and reminds him stranger and be dangerous , and tell him if you don’t hold hands bad people can take him away, if you don’t hold hands. Instill the reality of bad people before its too late and he doesn’t trust you