How can I keep my toddler safe in public when he doesn't like to hold my hand?

Dont let go. My kids did that too and I just kept saying to them hold my hand or we dont walk. We don’t walk I dont buy you…(small $1 toy)

Have a talk with him before you go out and tell him he is to hold your hand or he can’t go to the store with you it worked for me with my granddaughter if children don’t listen then they won’t go with me anywhere

i have a backpack carrier i use, a stroller, and a leash and harness. what i use depends on the day, enviroment and what will work best at that time fpr that situation

I had a halter leash set up and never worried gave my son freedom but me peace of mind

So you take his hand and he sits down & won’t budge so you let go and he gets up and runs off. :thinking:
He’s got you well trained!

1 Like

My son is a runner and you all have convinced me I need a harness for my son. He is too wild.

You are the parent if he will not hold your hand take him home . Children are always testing you remember they are the child you are the parent !

I took a purse handle with two hooks on each end I buckled one end to my Jean’s and the end to his Jean’s. That way they will be free but you have control over where they are at

My child never went with me if they acted like that. They stayed home with someone. I would tell them nope you dont want to listen or behave, you’re not going

Backpack leash, my kids were runners and I spent the best money those backpack leashes !!

I was one of those people that thought the same thing about leashes until i had kids i never had to use them but i sure understand now because if i had to use one i would

We had a monkey backpack that the tail was the leash. It kept my Grandaughter safe in busy Stlanta and airports

Get a leash…for real! Or discipline him by withholding preferred items when he doesn’t comply!! You are the parent and your main duty is to keep him safe whether he likes it or not!! Make sure he knows who is in charge

I had to put a leash and harness on my daughter do don’t feel ASHAMED to do it if people judge you just tell what would they prefer a healthy ALIVE child or a dead or missing child or you could simply say please myob it’s my child not yours ty

My mom used a harness for me. Of course that was 50+ years ago

1 Like

He’d hold my hand, period. All three of mine did cause I taught them too. Best wishes

We had a backpack monkey w a leash. My youngest was a runner he wore it everywhere I took him.

A kid leash. That way they can’t run off.

Shock collar. Just kidding. Be the parent. If he doesn’t behave, leave.

Harness or stroller tell him if he can not listen and be a big boy then he stays in the stroller, or if you prefer use a harness safety first

Don’t spank your toddler for wanting to explore. I spanked my older 2 but never spanked the 2 younger ones. I had far more bad behavior from the spanked children vs. Not spanked. Try a harness or offer rewards for holding hands etc. It can be small. Like the stickers at the end. It could litterally be a sensory stimulation that is coming off as bad behavior. My youngest is a preschooler and used to do the " help mommy put stuff in the cart". A lot of picking up and putting down. But it keeps them entertained and focused on the task at hand. She kind of just sticks with me now.

Get the harness and tell anyone who remarks about it that it’s better to have him in a harness then a grave. You show love to him and that’s the best thing.

I use to put my kids on a toddler harness leash. May sound mean, but I always was in control of them and knew where they were.

I had a daughter like that and all I know is she ran everywhere and I ran everywhere and I was nice and thin… She also was a jumper in the crib and would jump and jump and jump. And when I held her as a baby in my arms she would jump and jump and jump… She hardly took naps either.
Now today she’s president of a company and she wishes but she could take a nap once in awhile… She said Mom I still wish I had all that energy.
We live in Florida and she use just swim for 3 hours a day in the summertime. I would tell her she had to come out and rest and she would say can I rest while I’m jumping up and down… and I would say no, get up on that beach chair and don’t get off until you rest…

put them in a backpack that you wear on your back like the hiking kind they can hold up to a 3yr old my can

Kid leash, no shame girl. And if you get stares do it right back.

Be like some other ?parents I’ve seen put a leash on him to make him understand :thinking:whos in control :thinking:in my day a swift slap on the ass worked

1 Like

He would never get to go anywhere, cause he’d be at home not following the rules. YOU have to be the parent.

We got the kind that goes from wrist to wrist. My grandkids could walk and be safe. Nothing wrong with that.

Be the parent train him and stop allowing him to train you. He knows if he sits and refuses to walk he gets his way. It’s about keeping you child safe .

If he sits you pick him up and sternly tell him no! If he wants to walk he holds your hand if he doesn’t you carry him.

Set boundaries…start small then get bigger. Start at home, then yard, park, grocery store, etc

Be a parent and tell him to get up and walk. Use discipline. No bribing. If necessary use time out, take away toys or privileges. Spanking etc.

You need to remind yourself you are the adult . There are no options in these streets. End of story

Child harness/ leash backpack especially if they’re runners

Dinosaur backpack leash my son loved his I called it his battle buddy

Harness and leash. They make them for kids. I used them with all 3 of my kids and when I was little my mom made one for me lol.

Totally agree with harness suggestions. Better to have a child you can hug and kiss good night at the end of the day.

Get a leash and harness they make them for kids

Child harness,he thinks he is free so he is happy but he is safe

I preferred strollers. Though with the newest of our kiddos I’m leaning towards a backpack leash too. My older 4 learned that you either walk with us, or you get stuck in the stroller.

There’s cute little back pack leashes

1 Like

And u are allowing a TWO year old to dictate to U how he will be controlled??? U need parenting classes, immediately!!! He is SUPPOSED to be the child in your relationship with him! :cry:

A harness and a leash. Don’t let him out of sight for one minute

Kid harness. His safety is most important.

I do know a person that had a friend of hers that her kid had never met snatch her kid in public and run off of them a little bit scared the s*** out of him and from them going on he always told her and I don’t know if that would be worth the therapy for your temporary peace of mind but that worked lol

Child leashes. Very common and widely used.

1 Like

Backpack with a little leash on it works they sell them in the stores try Amazon

Backpack Harness with a 25 foot retractable leash. I had 2 Houdini Sprinters. Those are a LIFESAVER!

With the child trafficking getting worst,I would buy a wrist band or back pack that attaches to him and you.

My Grandson was like that so I would tell him hold Nanas hand so I dont get lost. He still reaches for my hand

I used a backpack leash for my son.

My daughter and her boyfriend has one for their daughter a backpack with a leash hookup to it

I used child harness. Nothing wrong with it.

Keep an eye on him, look where he’s at!!! Common sense people, or leave him at home

Take him on an outing that isnt important,when he sits down sit with him. Explain what u r doing and why,he will get it maybe not the first time but he will want to go do whatever the outing is more than running wild​:sweat_smile::grinning:

I used a hand holder leash 33 yrs ago now they have cute back packs with leashes

I always used a harness it had a monkey back pack for my son a horse for my older daughter and an elephant for my youngest

Buy a harness and a leash. Best possible way to play giddeyup…with him with control… Who’s the boss, you or him?

I would suggest a harness…if he doesnt like that get a sitter til he behaves

They make a harness that comes with a leash to put on kids. My mother and dad had one for my little brother.

Get you a harness tell him he has to wear it or he can’t go to town with you you hold on to the kine to the harness so your not holding his hand

I got mine a backpack harness with a leash

They used to have harnesses that you could put on kids to keep them from running amok. See if you can find one and give him a choice.

Tell him he can walk by your side but not run off or back in the stroller till he acts grown up. .

I told my grandchildren to hold on to Grandma’s finger so she won’t get lost!! Worked for us!!

Leash they make cute little backpacks with leashes

What about using child reins?? Keep him safe and you a little stress free

Actually, I would try a good old fashion spanking first!

I raised 5Maureen is right be the parent

Harness/leash. Nothing wrong with it

I had a friend who had eight kids, one of her boys wouldn’t stay with her
She bought a dog harness and made him wear it when they went anywhere. I thought at the time it was cruel but if I had a kid today I would also put a harness on them. It is crazy out there

Harness with a (for lack of a better word) LEASH.

I use a wrist leash for my twins

Repeat until he gets it that he walks with you or rides. My sons and granddaughters understood early and no issues.

Smack there ass and tell them to hold ur hand or they can’t go any more sorry a lite smack on the butt doesn’t really hurt

Leave him home or get a harness. I had one for my daughter she’s now 42. Lol

Either keep him in the stroller or be the parent and make him listen, and if you don’t believe in spanking then I don’t know what to tell you. :woman_shrugging:t3:

You might try asking him to hold your hand so that YOU don’t get lost.

Do you really need to.ask?

Exactly what.have you tried?

Put a child safety leash on him

3 Likes

I really don’t like leashes but honey if it saves this little dynamos life, it’s more than worth it!!!

Buy him some reins so he can toddler along at his leisure, his eyes are exploring the world around him.

Tell him you him to keep you safe by holding your hand

3 Likes

Who’s the adult???

Enjoying the comments. After 3 boys, now 46, 36, and 34, they learned from an early age who the parent was. Whether shopping or at the playground, crossing the street. they were to hold my hand period. Apparently, parents today don’t take parenting seriously. Step up and do your job. As for a leash, my dog loves hers. Ok… Time for the rude comments and bashing. Go!

4 Likes

I told my grandchildren to hold my hand so I wouldn’t get lost. Worked like a charm

I tell my kid I will get lost if he doesn’t hold my hand, works like a charm

Get the leash for toddlers

2 Likes

A kid harness. It works and gives them a bit of freedom.

People laugh but a harness is great

Get him the backpack leash gives you peace of mind and him a little freedom

Put a kiddy harness and leash on him

1 Like

Hold your hand or go home. Be consistent

Get a harness if u must but keep him safe

You are the parent. Act accordingly

1 Like

Get a toddler leash. It works

I used a backpack leash

Try a stroller or put him in a buggy.

If you are at a store with a shopping cart . Put him in the seat. And put the belt on him