How can I make brushing my daughters hair easier?

Hi, mom’s I have a super big question. How do you deal with your daughter, who is tender-headed? She cries and screams and bobs and weaves. I know it hurts her, but it’s very annoying. Any suggestions

12 Likes

Detangle spray and leave in conditioner

1 Like

paul Mitchell used to make a salon product called quick slip. awesome on wet hair, decent on dry

My daughter is as well And her hair is extremely curly. So I use hair milk after washing it and I braid it before bed to keep it from getting tangled at night. It also helps if I use a wide toothed comb in the shower with her conditioner

Cut it. I only have boys so that’s probably bad advice lol detangler spray and those wet brushes seem to work well

1 Like

DETANGLER BRUSH Saved my insanity! Two thumbs up

I use detangling spray and put her infront of the tv with her favorite show

Detangler, wet brush, good tv show on, snacks, counting- I’ll stop brushing in 10 brushes let’s count how many times we brush. Or just chop it and save your sanity.

1 Like

Wet brush!!! My girls are both tender headed and have tight spiral curls…until I found the wet brush it was agony everyday! Definitely invest in one!

Tangle spray and conditioner braid her hair at night u probably already no but brush from tips to roots in sections

1 Like

I brushed and braided my girls hair in the tub. Butt length curly hair.

No word of a lie, we use a double sided dog brush :joy: my daughter has the worst tangles. I soak her hair in spray conditioner, and brush starting at the bottom with a dog brush. Also her haor is ALWAYS in french braids. Braid when wet and helps not get tangled at school

2 Likes

Hold the hair in sections, and start brushing out tangles from the bottom.

Detangler and or leave in conditioner has helped us tremendously.

My daughter, now 15 is so tender headed as well. She opted for very short hair most of her life because of it.
Lots of detangler and soft brushes…brush from the bottom and work upwards.

Spray bottle with warm water and conditioner… my girls have very fine hair which tangles super easy,this is the only way it works… and start brushing from the bottom up instead of top to bottom

1 Like

We use a wetbrush and lots of detangler spray. My girls arent tender headed but we’ve got the native amercian hair that is this and tangles easily. Sleek and shine shampoo/conditioner are our best friends to

Spray in conditioner and detangler brush. Keep that hair moisturized as it’s easier to maintain.

Wet brush and detangler!!!

Detangler & wetbrush!!!

My daughter had a choice, comb it herself or I would cut it short to make it easier to comb. I usually started with a wide tooth comb from the ends up to the scalp in short sections. then when the large tangles were gone, I used a regular comb in the same fashion, from end to scalp - small sections. That hurt less that way.

Check the type of brush you are using. I’ve noticed that the different types, hurt more. I like a combination of bristles & the little plastic things for my 3 year old

John Frieda has a product that is amazing for defanging and softening. And a Wet Brush will be your BEST friend!

Leave in conditioner but don’t use it if her hair is super fine or it will weight it down. You only need a small pea sized amount

You can also do it in layers.

I make a tea tree spray with leave in conditioner. Perfect for my kindergarteners crazy curls and as a bonus repels lice

We start by combing in the shower/tub when the conditioner is soaking on her hair…then we towel dry and soak with either leave in conditioner or oil…ans comb again

All the above do not work trust me my 3yr olds hair was pass her butt an did the same I cut it to the middle of her an still had issue in 5 months its was pass her butt again mine cried till she threw up my solution I just cut her hair in a bob style cut an guess what no more screaming yelling fighting or throwing up

I just mix in a spray bottle conditioner and water if she’s school age even a couple drops of tea tree oil to prevent lice. Works amazingly

1 Like

My mother was a beautician. Try just holding the middle of the hair if it’s long, not pulling on sensitive scalp, and start from the end of the hair then moving up gently. Try it?

8 Likes

Start from the bottom and work your way up :slight_smile: I have curly thick hair so u less I brush and straighten it right away it is absolute hell to deal with so I work from the bottom upwards and I hold the different sections in my hand tightly to sometimes reduce pulling :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s expensive but is the only thing that worked on my daughter. She had almost waist length hair and would never do anything about the underside. I was combing her hair one day and when I got to the underside there was a 6 inch matted knot. This is the only thing that worked it out without having to cut her hair.

7 Likes

Wet brush, Revlon 1 spray works wonders when her hair is wet or dry, and we use johnson and johnson leave in conditioner after baths

2 Likes

Aussie for kids conditioner… I can get all knots out with my fingers its amazing and my girls have super thick hair

1 Like

My daughter and granddaughter are the same. I tell her I will stop if I hurt then I ask if she is okay
Tell her you are so sorry you hurt her. Then ask if she is ready to finish. It works for us.

Detangler and comb from bottom up… then once done some braids… that way it won’t be everyday that u need to brush it…

1 Like

My daughter is the same and we went from using a detangle spray every day with screaming and tears to just using a wet brush. I use it on her dry hair every morning and it’s like MAGIC

1 Like

I held the top of the hair tight, just hold towards the roots but not all the way against the head, brush from bottom and work your way up, still while holding it, so it doesnt pull at her scalp. Also, spray in conditioner really helps, so does regular conditioner expecially right in the bottom in the back where most people get big knots. Also, wide tooth pick intead of brush

I just got this for my daughter and it helped out a lot.

My daughter is like this. She asked for a haircut and we’re both so much happier now.

Detangler spray, comb it back gently and then I hold it all like a pony tail and brush it. If I’m holding it like that it doesn’t pull. My daughter is 5 and her hair is past her butt. Oh also I conditioner her hair really well every other night during her bath. Brush it out first and then I finger comb the conditioner thru it and let it sit in her hair for like 5 mins or so. And I don’t use kids shampoo and conditioner either. Usually dove is what we use.

2 Likes

Get a soft brush for babies or an adult sized soft bristled brush! Be gentle . One thing I had to do is comb it while the hair conditioner was still in it, gently, then rinse well without messing it up!!! Dry with a towel also without messing it up!

theres “its a 10” leave in conditioner spray that works great (walmart even has their version of it, works just the same)… or ive noticed with my daughters, since ive been putting coconut oil in her hair, its SO much easier to brush. Hers tangles easy & shes super sensitive to it so many times brushing her hair has lead to tears. The coconut oil has helped a ton. Dollar tree has little containers of it near the hair stuff and it lasts for quite awhile.

Comb out hair before bath Leave conditioner a little longer towel dry gently with a microfiber towel so you don’t fluff and tangle hair… then apply Leave in conditioner and let set for a bit. Section in tiny sections and brush from the bottom holding each piece with a tight fist to take away the pulling from the scalp. It adds a lot of time to the routine but your baby will appreciate it

Tons of leave in conditioner. Brush while wet. Then braid it until dry so no brushing needed the next morning. And get yourself a wet/dry brush!

Wet brush and detangler. She will probably still fight you but it will be more tolerable.

Let her brush her own

My daughter doesn’t like the wet brush. She says it hurts. So we use the brush with the soft bristles and seems to work better and hurt less

1 Like

Try a detangler spray? I used to be tender headed a lot when I was a child and hair brushing was a nightmare
Or a soft brush?

After you wash her hair. Towel dry it. Than take some conditioner put a tiny amount on your hand. Rub hands together, wipe it in her hair.

1 Like

My daughter has curly hair that tangles easily. I use a WET brush and hold my daughter’s hair right at her scalp like if I was putting it into a pony tail. Then I brush the ends first and then section it off and brush little hy little front the tips to the roots.

1 Like

Get her hair cut it really is the only solution, after a houseful of girls and tried every solution under the sun , just get it cut

1 Like

It’s the initiation of being a mother. Only time can make it easier

Spray damp with warm water and then spray with a leave in conditioner like not your mommas or shea butter leave in and work it in and detangle with your fingers as much as possible then use a tangled teaser brush and slowly work tips to scalp

We have our daughter sleep with her hair in a bun in a scrunchie, less knotted in the morning

Hold her hair in a low ponytail with your hand while you brush it, start at the bottom and move up 1 inch at a time, dont ever just brush it from the top down without holding it, because that hurts. Use conditioner instead of an all in 1 wash, wait until the hair is dry to brush it, and if necessary use a detangling spray. Keep her hair braided if it’s long, or at least kept back so it isnt tangling in the wind. If these dont work, give her a bob and still use conditioner. The more frustrated you get, the rougher you will brush her hair, remember that. Shes a little girl, you are an adult woman, and she knows from experience that you brushing her hair hurts, so it might be a struggle for a while. Be patient above anything else, and gentle. My hair is to my hips, and I have 2 daughters… so I have tons of experience in the brushing hair department.

1 Like

I shaved my daughters head bald, worked out good, no more complaining about knots and hair pulling … haha jk

1 Like

It entirely depends on what kind of hair. Is this girl white or black or Asian or mixed? Is it curly, kinky, thick, straight, wavy, thin, long, mid length? Is it dry or frizzy or oily or what? Do you do conditioning treatments? How often do you wash it? Does she sleep with it up? Everyone just commenting what they do for their kids’ hair is really useless without the proper information. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Leave in conditioner and detangler.

1 Like

Wet brush, towel dry leave in conditioner, detangler!!!

1 Like

I cut my daughters hair once a year and use suave conditioner, it makes it like silk when it’s washed out, super easy to comb out.

start at the bottom with leave in conditioner, or let her try for herself.

We have a Wet detangling brush and it really works. I use it on my curly hair and it doesn’t pull at all.

After shower use a detangler, spray all over her hair and then the leave in conditioner. It works great. My daughter is the same and ever since I started using those two she doesn’t cry or complain anymore

1 Like

Tear free hair brush works amazing

Great clips sells it.you will both love it.put a little bit in hands and rub in hair after washing.blow dry if you want.it will work great

1 Like

I feel your pain. My daughter is now seven and not one bit better… there isn’t a brush out there, or spray. I’ve tried it all. It’s absolutely dreadful.

Use a good conditioner. We usually have Nexxus or Biolage. A lot of people swear by OGX for this, the coconut one mostly, but none of them really worked for me or my daughter. We have thick, curly and she’s really coarse. We also use a spray in detangler. Use a pick comb in the shower with conditioner… this is the trick that helped me the most. Wash and brush everyday. My daughters hair would mat if we let it go a day.

My daughter is the same way, and she gets dread lock type snarls so it makes it worse, shes 2, so I use detangler spray and a wide toothed comb, conair makes one, or you can get one from the dollar store, less pulling that way, now she loves getting her hair brushed!

ALWAYS start from the bottom and work your way up. Get some detangling spray.

1 Like

I count with mine. I ask her how high she wants to count and she will pick a number like 5 or 10 and we count that high over and over to distract her while I brush. I brush her hair while it’s wet with conditioner still in and that helps a lot too

Get a flexible detangler hair brush. They are amazing. My daughter is the same way and she loves this one. They carry at wlamart too

We use a detangle conditioning spray and then brush through with a wet brush. A wet brush is such a life saver!!

1 Like

Or one like this. Is more for curly hair but they work great

Go get a Wet Detangle brush! This saved both of us!

1 Like

Spray leave In conditioner

Try detanglier my daughter was horrible but it actually helped…

Cantu detangling conditioner spray…lifesaver

Keep her hair short, makes life a lot easier

“WET” hair brush is wonderful

1 Like

Detangler spray main and tail has an awesome detangler my grand daughter has very long thick hair works slick but if you get any spray on the floor is slick also

My son has ridiculously curly hair that tangled easy and he’s tender headed. I got some cheap detangler. I sit him down with a cartoon on so he’s somewhat distracted.
I use a thin toothed comb that is thickish plastic (so its sturdy)
I start at the bottom and work my way up to his scalp. I hold the strand in the middle to help prevent it from pulling and hurting.

2 Likes

If its dry, wet her hair. Leave in conditioner. And detangle spray. Let them sit for a minute and rub it in really well. Grip her hair with your hand… right above where you want to brush (like holding a pony tail) and work your way up.

My daughters hair is wild. Esp when dry. Hard to get through.

If its wet (after shower) as long as she has used a LOT of conditioner (depending on the brand, some are cheaper and dont worl as well… so you need more) in her hair and really lathered it up w a little water. Let it sit for a few.minutes and rinse. But she never does! Drives me nuts. Lol

1 Like

I get hair wet and hair detangler to the point it’s soaked through…

And yes! Keep her hair braided when she doesnt need it down. Esp at bedtime. When they toss and turn.

1 Like

My oldest daughter was like that it was a fight every time I brushed her hair it was thick and she wanted to do it but she never got the tangles underneath so I told her is she didn’t brush her hair right or let me do it I was going to cut it off short so I did she learned a lesson after that she brushed her hair when it grew back out cause I took her to a barbershop and said cut it very short now we laugh about it

My daughter is the worst. I use a tiny bit of conditioner after she gets out of the shower. Rub it in and let it set a couple minutes. Once a week I add 3 minute miracle and a small amount after the shower. It’s so much easier to brush

Thick wide tooth comb in the shower while conditioning…and “wet” brush after shower

Use a wet brush also use professional products as non professional will leave a build up & make her tangle more. Also make sure to get it trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks

1 Like

Start small at the ends and work your way up holding hair as you go.

Detangler spray & “wet” brush! I have 3 tender headed girls & im also super tender headed myself and I swear it helps. Also start at the bottom and work your way up.

Brush from the bottom up, using a detangler, or put a little conditioner on and wet the brush, brush in small sections. Again, from the bottom to the top. Braid it at night… loosely.

1 Like

Lol. I have 2 biracial girls. Crazy hair over here. My oldest is 14 and she just had to suffer thru it. My 3yr old cries but, pain is beauty!!

A dentsgling spray may help. Go slow, and start from the ends, gently working over knots with the side of the brush. I use a leave in conditioner to help the hair smooth out a bit before tackling it. Also, wet hair seems to be easier than dry so try brushing before drying if possible.

Use detangle spray and a detangle comb.

A wet brush! They sell them on Amazon & they are amazing!!!

Detangler spray and a “wet” brush

Wet brush, detangling spray. Work on small sections at a time and one hand on her head to stabilize it and reduce pain.

Go to a Walmart and buy a wet brush for the shower they are incredible I have fought with my daughter her entire 9 years of life and now it is easy-peasy no fighting involved

Try spraying detangler on hair first then brush her hair