How can I make my husband stop talking about his job?

My husband is a great man and is very hardworking…he has a demanding job and i get that he probably needs to vent…but i swear when he comes home, work is ALL HE TALKS ABOUT…he doesn’t stop talkign about it and if the topic isnt his job, he will make it about his job and its not that i dont care…i just wanna talk about other things to…how can i tell him i dont only want to talk about work?

221 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I make my husband stop talking about his job? - Mamas Uncut

My husband is the same exact way!!!

3 Likes

If you don’t want him talking to you about who is he going to turn too? You are his wife. If you aren’t willing to listen to him then I think he will turn to someone else and then you’ll get back on here and say “my husband is talking to someone else and won’t talk to me.”

22 Likes

Let the broh talk about his job :joy::joy::joy: wow just wow…

8 Likes

At least he does WORK! Be grateful

12 Likes

Find him a girlfriend to talk to maybe she can take your place maybe she will care and you’ll all be happier

10 Likes

I was the same way. My husband and I agreed to a 30 minute time limit on my venting sessions everyday after work. It helped a lot, I was able to vent and then move on to relax.

8 Likes

Just keep changing the topic… He’ll catch on.

1 Like

Tell him what I tell mine leave it their don’t bring it home

4 Likes

Ask for specific times that you don’t talk about it. Like date nights or during dinner or something.

1 Like

All my BF does is talk abt cars. I can diagnose cars now lol just listen. It’s all we can do

4 Likes

You sound ungrateful

7 Likes

he could go get a girlfriend & talk to her :coffee:

be grateful he works. pick ya battles. i just pretend to listen and throw in a few mmhmmm every so often and might ask a random question to pretend i care :woman_shrugging:t4:

8 Likes

I was an RN for 20 years and I would come home and talk to my husband about my shift, and he would talk HVAC to me. We supported each other and helped vent about our shifts. Who else would I turn too? No one!! Be thankful you have your husband and he’s employed. My husband passed away from Cancer in 2015 at the age of 50 years of age! Listening to your husband should be being a spouse… I would trade your place in a heartbeat!

11 Likes

I had an ex like that
We made an agreement
You have 1 hour to talk about work per day!

2 Likes

We have the rule that dinner time is the only time to discuss these matters… everyone gets a chance to talk about their day

2 Likes

Lmao i feel this. I wish i was more interested but he probably feels the same about my day. I do my best to act interested and listen because that is being respectful to your partner. Who else is he supposed to talk to about his day?

2 Likes

LMFAO I got crabby one afternoon and bluntly told him I don’t care and that all we do hear about it or how bad the day was every day and I didn’t care if it was upsetting… man, I had a good day and his energy of negativity I couldn’t handle anymore. I told him straight up. :woman_shrugging:t4: He still here and still hardworking and still loves me :grin::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Lol Who are you people? I tell my husband “hey too talky” :joy: 20 years and counting…

6 Likes

I mean you are his wife and he should feel safe to talk with you. But the way I see it is that I don’t get paid to think about work while I’m at home. Leave it at work the same way you leave home problems at home.

He doesn’t know anything more to talk about lol

1 Like

Just let him talk! I vent to mine all the time!

Limit him to 15 minutes of job talk then he has to be done

3 Likes

Look for the Please Pass the butter scene on the Big Bang.

1 Like

I have a similar problem, except mine likes to talk about his work to his team on the phone for hours after work. He also likes to ask me about things at my work (usually things that are frustrating me) I do not control what he talks about to other people, so I am glad he is talking about his work to others, but when he brings up my own - i just tell him I don’t like to think or talk about work outside of it - as it already consumes 50 hours of my week. Try that!

one day you will wish he was there talking about his job or anything for that matter. just listen to him. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

I mean, that’s all he does day in a day out. How is that any different than a sahm talking about her kids all-day? It’s where he spends m9st of his time. Probably not much else for him to talk about. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I think it’s natural to come home and talk about work but to change every conversation into a work conversation I could see that being overbearing. He probably doesn’t realize he does that. I would say I know when you get home it’s natural to want to vent about work but let’s try to talk about other topics after that initial vent session. I don’t know if you realize this but you change all of our conversations to go back to talking about work. Can we try to talk about other things? Idk something like that where you’re making him aware of it and then hopefully he will catch himself.

Trust me, if anything ever happened to him, you would really miss that. Just listen. Talk to your friends about other stuff

3 Likes

Give him a cut off time, like maybe 30-1 hour after getting home. But talk to him about it

Remember that when he gets a side piece to vent to​:woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face:

5 Likes

Give him 30-40min to vent & decompress…Then leave it at the door!! Life is too short to be stressed about work 24/7. Your job will replace you the moment your gone & you only get to experience moments with your family once. He needs to prioritize after his 30-40min

4 Likes

See I guess I’m just built different. My husband is nosey as hell and comes home and tells me ALL the tea. I know who is cheating on their spouse and all the details. I know it’s gonna be a good story when he says, so listen to this shit :rofl:

Aww I used to feel this way to but then I read an article that said mean equate their worth to their job. It made a lot of sense. So now I just listen and remember that. But also you can just tell him!

5 Likes

Just start other interesting conversations…

Count your blessings. 1. He has a job to talk about 2. He’s talking to you, his wife. If he wasn’t around I bet you’d miss him going on and on about work. Just saying

2 Likes

I mean it sounds like that’s a huge thing for him. Maybe a huge stressor. Maybe we need to work on our listening skills a little bit better and let him be able to vent this out. At least he feels like he can talk to you about it

2 Likes

You have kids? Start talking about the kids and give play by play of everything and every second of your day and kids’. Start it before he gets a chance on his job. In our house …home is home, work is left at work UNLESS something really good or really bad happened. Otherwise our family time is just that.

Sit on his face, tell him not to talk with his mouth full

15 Likes

Maybe because he does nothing else so he had nothing else to talk about

Start kissing him and have some fun together. Get his mind off of it and when you have more down time try to keep the conversations more light maybe plan your weekend or even show some goofy videos and do a stupid tik too challenge for fun

You said yourself that his job is demanding and he needs to vent. He’s choosing you to talk to about his problems. Be glad he isn’t venting to another woman. Your job as a wife is to be there for him to talk to, and give him comfort when he needs it. How would you feel if the tables were turned?

5 Likes

Allow him to vent but then if he keeps redirecting the convo to his job just ask him, “what is still bothering you” ask him “what do you need from me” and be honest about how you want to be there for him but not ever conversation needs to be about his job

I’m glad I’m not married to you

9 Likes

You are his coping mechanism his person the one he vents too. Although it’s tiresome keep in mind he needs to be able to vent. Just tell him you never mind hearing about his work or his job and you’re happy he tells you about his day etc but to keep it to a minimum at home. It could also be that he’s bored and has nothing else to talk about. Or maybe he is just stressed let him vent but like I said don’t let it be an all day event

Wear an AirPod and listen to music while he talks :joy: node your head yes occasionally

Would you rather vent to you or another woman?

9 Likes

Say “Hey babe, what else is going on besides work?”

2 Likes

Welcome to my life… :joy::man_facepalming: just buy some ear plugs and learn how to zone out haha

It’s better if he talks with you rather than to someone else.

3 Likes

Umm have something else to talk about if all the man does is work ITS ALL HE HAS TO TALK ABOUT!!

6 Likes

When my husband gets home we sit together and vent about our days. When that’s all out we start talking about other things. Once we’ve decompressed we move on with our day. It has helped him a lot

2 Likes

My husband does the same thing🥴 and I just flat out tell him when you walk through our front door your works day ends there so no I dont want to talk about your job!

My husband is the same way, but then again he works 7 days a week 10 hours a day… That’s all he has to talk about because that’s all he does :rofl: I’ll gladly sit there pretending to be interested because I’m thankful for all he does.

12 Likes

Maybe just meet him at the door (if it’s just you) with nothing on but a smile .

Mine does the same :joy:

When you find out let me know…:joy::joy::joy:

I listen to my husband for as long as he needs to talk about work and then I bring up my day. Our future dreams and plans and give lots of love and affection. Usually if I shower him in kisses and hugs and ass grabbing he forgets about work and focuses on me. I will always be there to listen though because my husband also works a very demanding job and he is a wonderful provider so he deserves to be heard and cared for in every way.

1 Like

I’m guessing that work is all he has so give him something else to talk about.

3 Likes

My husband is a mechanic. When we started dating I picked up his trade school textbook and started reading it, just basics to keep up with his lingo.

Its been 16years and he loves to tell me about his day, I’m knowledgeable enough to keep up and actually enjoy it.

Guess I’m saying it’s not thr worst thing in the world to invest a little interest in your partner, especially if they want to share with you

6 Likes

Tell him. Make sure to emphasize that you love that he wants to tell you about his work and that you don’t mind him talking about it but you would also like to hear about other things in his life too.

1 Like

Give him about 20 min then tell him your changing the subject.
Then talk about your job/day for 20 min and move on.

Lmao called being burnt out it’s a struggle for workin men

I had a male friend like that ans I finally had to set boundaries. I told him I am not his sounding board and if he doesn’t like his employment experience… then what makes him think I want to allow him to relive it and infect my ears about it.

If work was all he had, she wouldn’t be there. He needs to be able to understand when enough is enough. As wives, we should not come last in their lives. You need to really sit down and talk with him. If he doesn’t care or doesn’t try leave and find someone else

1 Like

I work 6 to 7 days a week. 10 to 14 hour days. I come home. Vent. He tells me about his day. Once dinner hits that table. We talk to the kids about their day. Then from there we just talk.

1 Like

Man I wish my main would talk more about work. Its normally his gaming stuff. :joy:

My one rule is that after dinner, no work talk is allowed, it’s our time / family time.

2 Likes

Hes prob a Capricorn… And get used to it. He will choose the job over anything

1 Like

You should leave him…

So you can see what real problems are.

You’re basically asking strangers how to communicate with your husband. :man_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

I’m sorry seems like he needs to vent be glad u can listen to him…I wished I could hear mine just one more time cancer took him from me…

I’ve been guilty of talking a lot about work, and so has my partner. I think it’s important each person in a relationship has time to vent about their day. Sometimes you just have to listen (even if none of it makes sense or you can relate to) so the other person can get it out. Sometimes it can be annoying but I always take the time to listen because I like the same in return. Sorry if that is not the advice you want but that’s how me and mine work.

1 Like

You’ll care when he starts venting to someone else :laughing:

6 Likes

How can I stop my husband talking about work :smiley::smile:
Where are these woman from? LMAO another fucky post :joy:

1 Like

Say everything you just said to him

2 Likes

I made this mistake.
I couldn’t let work go.
Night after night, talking to him about it.
Very stressful.
He was the only reason I could bear it.
When he died, I vowed it would not happen again.
No job is worth relationship peace.
That crap will be there the next day.
You can pick it up again as you walk in the work door.

Try meeting him at the door naked.

6 Likes

What helps me personally, in the first responder field, is hitting the gym with the guys, post-shift. I feel it helps with the adrenaline dump issues, and also a form of therapy, when you’re able to vent to your co-workers who not only understand what you’re stressed about, but were also there. That way, you get it all out, and are ready to face the family, with a better bearing, upon arrival. It’s a better solution that will benefit you, as opposed to venting over beers, while sitting at a bar.

I don’t mind when my husband talks about work.
I listen and I’m here for him. I’d rather him talk to me than keep everything to himself and not talk about it at all.
It’s bad for your mental health to keep it to yourself and keep everything bottled up.
He also works in the mental health field.
I’d rather him talk to me than someone else. Lol :joy:
I get a little upset when he doesn’t talk about work to me sometimes.
But he said himself he doesn’t want to come home and talk about work all the time, because he wants his professional life separate from his personal life.
Being a parent and working in mental health is mentally and emotionally exhausting.

You can’t force him to not talk about it, and if he thinks or knows it’s getting on your nerves, then he won’t feel comfortable speaking to you or venting to you about it.
I would listen and then change the subject to something else. Talk about your day.
Ask if he can not talk about work after he’s already vented and ask if there’s other things bothering him since he’s talking about work so much.
Go out and do something together that doesn’t involve what he does for work.

3 Likes

Hubby is a roofer, I asked him to teach me about roofing on a few side jobs so I understood when he was talking about it, and I talk alot about my job too…idk I think you should be more understanding because your his person, if you don’t like what he talks about then what do you like? Why be with him?

1 Like

I honestly enjoy listening to my man tell me about his day… stressful or not he’s choosing to share it with you, what he did, if he learned anything new etc etc yeah it might get boring sometimes but if you can’t handle him wanting to discuss how his work day was you don’t need a partner🤷‍♀️

1 Like

Just tell him leave work at work

Idk I hate talking about work, I might say a few words or if asked how my day was answer but in all honesty when I go home I don’t want to think about work. You have to have balance on life

Jebus. Take it as an educational experience. I’ve learned all I have about soffit, fascia and guttering from my ex when I was 15-20yo and I’m 41now! It’s come on useful over the years :sweat_smile: maybe he just wants to discuss his day :woman_shrugging:t3: try having some real problems

Set aside time to speak on any subject but work.
And talk to him. It sounds like you’re his only sounding board.

1 Like

Yeah, great idea. Have him stop talking to you about his favorite topic. Let someone else listen to all that mess.

1 Like

Take one for the team. Women have been doing this to men for years. At least your husband wants to talk to you about it. He could be messaging someone else. :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Let him have a girlfriend on the side who cares to listen and polish his spear. Lol I mean, it shouldn’t be alllll about him i agree… But dude… Is he complaining about work n miserable, or is he excited to tell you about work or is he stressin and coming to you for your support? These are important factors. The real problem would be if he didnt communicate. You f*kkin lunchbox.

2 Likes

Tell him you want to hear about that AND talk about other things. You would want him to let you vent about your day so it’s fair to let him as well. Maybe he doesn’t realize work is dominating your conversations. Gently make him aware that you’re not getting a chance to talk about other things as well and that you’d like to. But I strongly recommend against telling him you don’t want to hear about work at all. Try to be glad he WANTS to talk to you. That’s a good starting point.

1 Like

You can’t make someone not talk about something, just simply not listen. My personal suggestion would be to speak with him and set up some kind of agreement where he gets like thirty minutes for example to talk about work then you get the same amount of time to speak about what you want. That with both parties needs are being acknowledged and met.

My husband and I own a business together that he works at. He loves it and is very ambitious about its. I am very involved so we talk business almost 24/7… at first it really bothered me. Like I was almost resentful towards talking about it because it was constant and I felt like he wouldn’t let me have a break from it.
When I started talking to him about it I told him basically we needed to separate home and business. That wasn’t feasible so I started feeling like he just didn’t care about anything else. I communicated that feeling.
Long story short (into our 3rd year of business now)
Ive realized it wasn’t about him talking about work all the time, I love hearing about his day. It was the lack of attentativness to how I was doing, how my day was, how I was feeling.
My husband is a great provider and incredible dad, but us as women and wives have to recognize that, where all of that is great, we have needs too. Emotional needs (being the major one) are required to be met to even begin feeling intimate in our marriage (I’m not talking just sex ladies)…
We need do feel connected to our husband’s.
Unfortunately, sometimes they can be doing all the right things but if we’re not feeling valued, than our connection becomes weaked.

That doesn’t mean that it’s the end of your marriages.
It doesn’t mean go yell at our husband’s to get it right. I’m simply saying that marriage is forever a learning experience that requires constant attention and communication.
We study each other.

I rarely see my man much because he works so much. If the only conversation is him venting about work to me. Then I know I am his place he finds peace. I have plenty of time to de-stress.

3 Likes

If his work is of traumatic nature (first responder and the like), let him talk about work. Those jobs can cause PTSD.

If the job isn’t, would you rather have him talk to another person (probably a woman to get their opinion or whatever)? I’d rather have my husband share things to me at least I know what’s up. You are his confidant.

1 Like

Some people let there work define them and that’s what he is doing. It is a struggle :sleepy: but pray for him and figure out how to talk to him and his love language :heart: will help

My man comes home and talks about work than he apologizes to me for always bringing it up. I always tell him I’m his other half right, so we are a team and I will always listen to him. Sometimes they talk to us because we are their support system too and should always be there for him. This is just my side of course. We always talk about other stuff too tho.
Some men just have verbal diarrhea :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

My dad would set aside an hour out of the evening to talk about everything that happened at work that day.

sometimes when someone loves someone else & they trust them, they will vent to them, You just have to tell him you understand, but after a while of him talking or venting, tell him that is enough, lets talk about other things

1 Like

Let him vent .when he is done then you talk. He needs you even if boring . Even if every day I rather have my husband talk about his job then not talk at all or even not come home cause he found someone that will listen … a lot of women wish they had a husband coming home even to talk too

2 Likes

My husband and I spend bout 20 min venting bout the day when he first gets home then we leave it at that the rest of the evening so we don’t get each other annoyed with our ranting. Lol