How can I parent my 6-year-old son?

Looks like some of us have forgotten about the life threatening drama and uncertainty that all the kids have had to deal with over the course of the last two years with COVID -19 and the threat of other viruses. Their lives were turned upside down and it seemed like the whole world was in utter chaos. Maybe parents need to talk to their kids about the last two years and how it’s affected them. Nobody’s talking and we just have to know that a lot of kids have suffered in silence and it’s about time we talked about the elephant in the room. Kids thought their families were going to die from COVID and their pets and friends may die also. They didn’t know if they’d ever be going back to school and if they did would they be on lockdown in their schools and not be allowed to go home to their families? The kids were expected to deal with the unknown because Lord knows we didn’t even know how to deal with the uncertainty ourselves. Our government officials, doctors, hospitals, schools animal hospitals, stores and then parents couldn’t go to work because daycares were closed, people were no longer babysitting and the whole damn country was scrambling to figure out what the hell we were going to do. Kids don’t understand what’s happened. For two years, in which this mothers child would have been five years old, that child was told that he could no longer go visiting his relatives or friends. Can’t go to the park to play. Has to sanitize their hands and wear a mask everywhere they went. Life wasn’t normal and it was just plain scary. Now we expect the kids to act as though nothing happened and everything is good now. A kid doesn’t understand that. In their minds, it will happen again and it plays over and over in their heads and no way to vocalize it. We have no idea what is happening with the kids and we need to start talking to them about the last two years and the fears that they’ve had to endure in silence. We need to fix this because the kids don’t know how.

Is this real? You’re the parent. How weak are you? This is easy. Don’t feed him. In the winter, lock him outside. Without food or comfort, he’s bound to come around. Or, just put him up for adoption.

Btw, he’s not “the sweetest boy ever.” He’s a piece of shit. Get it together before this kid becomes a drain on society.

my best friend goes through this with her 12 almost 13 yr old son but he has ODD I would get him tested with his pedi to make sure everything is OK

1 Like

Who’s the boss you or the child

5 Likes

When he tells you “you’re a bad mom if you don’t do this” about anything fun just tell him “ok then I’m a bad mom”. He is 7 he has no idea what makes a bad mom. He is doing/saying those things because it gets him what he wants. I wouldn’t say he understands how it makes you feel but he definitely understands he gets what he wants if he says it. Stop catering to him or it’s just gonna get worse. He learned this behavior now you need to make him unlearn it. My favorite line ever to use when my kids act up and say mean things is “you are allowed to be mad but you aren’t allowed to be mean”.

12 Likes

A list of chores at six and he lacks common sense? Are you treating and talking to him like he is older than what he ia? You need to enlist professional help. Do not accept anyone telling you to hit him. That is not the answer. He is already angry. Where is his dad, grandpa, uncle, or some male influence. Please get help and support from family. He desperately needs positive male influence in his life. First get to a doctor and some child counseling.

1 Like

he is manipulating you for control; get counseling for him to break this habit

8 Likes

Is this your child or a bad boyfriend?

2 Likes

Are kids suppose to have common sense at 6? Listen, ROUTINE is absolutely what they need and a few chores… like picking their toys up… but it sounds like you’ve spoiled him and now you’re demanding a ton of expectations. Kids communicate even during a tantrum, that’s how they figure out their emotions. I would start laying a foundation down: After the 3rd time asking you walk over and show him what you need done. It sounds like maybe you need to hold yourself accountable too… Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with positive encouragement and rewarding for good behavior. For me, I tell my 2 year old son, if you’re on your best behavior, mom will get you a popsicle when we get home, but if not- NO! And I stand on it! Kids of all ages need direction, and consistency but check yourself in how you respond to him. Let him know his words hurt your feelings and walk away and redirect a few minutes later. You got this!

6 Likes

Put your foot down. It’s not too late and he knows how to push your buttons and it’s working! He’s a kid it’s what they do. Routine is huge. That way he knows what to expect. He def should be doing chores. Make it fun. Give him opportunity to earn his own money and save for items he wants. My kids have chores and they earn money they get $5 a week. They have to save 10% donate 10% and they keep the rest. My daughter saves hers for toys she wants to buy. If we go to the store and see something she wants then I help her figure out how many weeks she needs to save to get said item. My son… money burns a whole in his pocket he uses his on snacks and candy but thats what he chooses. They decided together to save their donate money and around Christmas they put their money together and I match them and take them shopping for items to donate. One year they chose items for a local animal shelter One year they chose items for children at children’s hospital one year they opted to buy 10 $10 walmart gift cards and they put them in Christmas cards and handed them out to folks in Walmart. While no kid enjoys chores they are learning to help out they are learning the value of a dollar and they are learning to give back so they’ve found some fun in it all. Take him and volunteer (I know you’re tired mama) but just once a month or something at the animal shelter or soup kitchen. If time out doesn’t work take things away! Make him earn them back! He is manipulating you because it works mama. You’re teaching him it’s ok by not being consistent. It always hurts us more than it hurts them when we have to punish them. Consistency is key. Eventually he will understand if he doesn’t do A then B happens. Good luck :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I raised 3 kids on my own it as very hard

1. was bi polar
    And ADHD

2 we’re ADHD and ADD and on top of this my youngest is also learning disable and has lead posing so I had my Hands Full but I had them help me around the house there jobs were to keep there rooms clean
I let them dust
Vacuum help put dishes away
Help do dishes
Help with whatever then they had game time or play time outside or we would go to the beech ( since we lived 5 Minutes Away ) or can take him to the pool or some where play ball with him out side but always praise. Him when he does good I did and now all 3 of mine are very respectful
If I had to put them in time out it was in a corner where they couldn’t see tv :tv: or anything and I could see them .
It’s hard

That’s typical behavior but he also knows how to manipulate you. He is only 6 and he’s just learning how to function as a person. Time outs don’t work bc you’re probably doing them wrong. Don’t send him to his room stick him in a boring spot in the house where there’s nothing to touch but the floor he stands on. If that doesn’t get to him take away things he likes to play with or do. You are the parent so if you’re not “mean mom” or getting an “I hate you” then you’re not doing it right. An when you do fun things are you doing fun things that you think are fun or what he thinks are fun bc if it’s just you then he’s going to complain. It sounds like you’ve treated him like a friend and a roommate instead of your child. An you should have been teaching him respect as an infant so yeah you need to step it up. Being an only child I’m sure you’ve over indulged him and babied him. If you’re feeling guilty about anything to do with him being an only child or a single parent child then you are ok ver compensating for those things by catering to him like you’re a maid. But again he is only 6 and you’re supposed to be the maid bc he is still a baby. He should have some chores that involves taking care of his things. He is capable of keeping his room clean and cleaning up after himself. Step it up an be more mean mom than friend and start making him take responsibility for his own things an behavior and he will come around.

2 Likes

Have him tested and see a psychologist

3 Likes

My son has ODD and acts out like this sometimes. One thing I learned helped a lot was if he started throwing tantrums, I would say “Come get me when you’re done” and walk away. Create distance between him and I. After it’s over, try explaining to him why he needs to not do that. My son is almost 6 and everything you mentioned is spot on for how my son is. It’s like he doesnt comprehend how to do basic tasks, like putting on his own clothing without help (he can do it but will say its “too hard” or he “doesnt know how”). I started a good behavior chart for my son, which worked really well. Every time he had a good day, he gets to put a sticker on and whenever he throws a tantrum/hits/screams at me he takes one off. Once you get to a certain amount of stickers he gets a prize of some sort. My son usually chooses ice cream. Good luck. You’re not a bad mom. You’re doing great.

3 Likes

Meaghan Amaya read some of these.

1 Like

He is going to do what you allow him to do. If you don’t get control now you will have worse problems as he gets older. Sounds like he is controlling you. Maybe counseling for both of you. It does wonders if you get the right person. If insurance or money are an issue see if his school has suggestions. I hope you two can figure this out

1 Like

Single mom… do you spoil him? Not trying to be rude, but sounds like he is. Put him in the corner if timeouts don’t work. Take stuff away. He doesn’t HAVE to have a ton of toys or go everywhere, YOU have to teach him to appreciate things. If you just keep giving him stuff and taking him places even with bad behavior, it will never change

Dont put that baby in therapy. He’s 6. He’s still a baby. He might have seen kids saying those things to their parents on YouTube. Just explain to him he doesn’t talk to you like that. Your giving him a list of chores? Keeping his toys picked up and making his bed is something I would start with. Remember he’s only 6 start small. Do not try to diagnosis him with something he probably doesn’t have by taking him to therapy. No it’s not to late to teach him about respect. It’s never to late to teach your kids something. Also kids whine and complain that’s just what they do sometimes.

4 Likes

My son is 12 and I have gone thru this since he was 2… I’m a single mom when he started school it got worse… School had me get him tested ODD ADHD & mood disregulatory disorder.

You are forgetting YOU are the parent! A 6 year old doesn’t know what a bad parent is if they’ve never had one, so him telling you you’re bad if you don’t do something, shouldn’t hold much weight. Sounds like he’s the parent & runs the household. He needs routine & boundaries. & those boundaries need to be stuck to even if he tries to guilt trip you or gets upset. The reason he says/does these things is b/c he knows that if he does, you’ll do whatever he wants

6 Likes

Spank him. Don’t say you’ve tried everything until you tan his hide. Kids are brats because parents allow it.

12 Likes

You’re raising a brat! Seek help before things get way out of control

1 Like

That is manipulation. When my kids would say, “I hate you” because they didn’t get what they wanted, I said, “OK. The answer is still no”. You are in charge, not your son.

5 Likes

Sounds like he knows how to manipulate the situation…. He acts out, u cave and give him what he wants.

1 Like

Better figure it out now so to police don’t have to. He is 6 for crying out loud

1 Like

'Apply the paddle to the seat of understanding"

8 Likes

It gets worse trust me mine is bipolar hes 28 now & still has the same behavior took it right on into his marriage.nothing never satisfied him. Gets mad on holidays always messed up over nothing anything could be over there isnt what he wants to drink there. got the best daughter n law ever … Go get him help. I spanked mine done everthing nothing worked I was exhausted…

1 Like

Routine! start taking things away! Also get ready to hear you are mean and a bad mom for many years to come smh it’s true teenagers are a whole different level of parenting. Maybe sit down with him and y’all sit down go over the NEW RULES and exactly what his REWARD will be for GOOD behavior. Make sure to make a chore list with him and go over that as well

7 Likes

Yeah…I got one like that. She’s 11 now with her wild spirit in tact. She would say embarassing things in public whole thing hot mess. Its one hard lesson at a time and keeping her busy helped. Band…sports…at least 2 extracurricular things. On top of that I had to be really frank with her…explain what manipulating was explain what gaslighting is…explain that she was being an evil lil shit and having good character was something we could work on together. Call out the bs on him and put him in 3 sports lmao. Let a coach get to him…boxing? Martial arts? He can’t cry wolf forever!

1 Like

He is manipulating you and controlling you. And you parent out if guilt.

2 Likes

I sat down and explained if you don’t want me to do what you want then . We’re not going to do what you want. And I wouldn’t do anything till then. You can keep the bond and do what you want your the mom. But tell them when him even when he acts out I love you no matter what…that will never change. Don’t tell him your dating say it’s a friend till you know it the one.

It’s easy to give advice but whether it works or not depends on your sons rooted issues. Start with removing all technology time, turn the internet off what ever it takes to get him off. Go somewhere after school a skate park for an hour or the beach for a walk. You can try some of the advice you receive or not, good luck.

2 Likes

Super Nanny Jo Frost. Check her out. She has all the tips and tricks to getting your kids to be respectful little humans. Stick to all her steps. If you don’t, none of it works. But I swear by her. Check her out. YouTube. Facebook. She is everywhere.

6 Likes

Sounds like you are creating an abusive and narcissistic husband…that kid needs serious boundaries set. Let him be mad,let him cry…he will not die,but might just turn out 1/2 decent

10 Likes

It could be an underlying issue. My son is almost 3 and either during afternoon or towards bedtime we make sure he picks his toys up (there’s a lot so we help him) but he still has to help us do it and he does a great job, we have to remind him cause he gets distracted as he’s doing it haha but he also takes his dirty dishes to the sink normally and his dirty clothes to the hamper. He does those without being asked anymore. However he still has moments like any child. A lot of it from reading this sounds like manipulation, my son tries to do this with me and he doesn’t with his dad cause I’ve always been much more lenient with him, however lately not so much. I find getting on his level and explaining what he should be doing and what the consequence is for not doing it and the reward for doing it is helps him to motivate. Kids that are young like 6-7 as well sometimes do need motivation and something to work towards just as adults need things to work towards whether thats doing A and B to achieve a clean house, better pay, etc. But let him know you understand he’s angry and it’s okay to feel that way but it’s not okay to say things that are hurtful. Some kids are just stubborn and it’s hard, some have underlying issues that need to be addressed. There’s no right or wrong way in this parenting circus haha but setting boundaries and expectations now will help a lot as he becomes older. Lastly I wanna add that many kids thrive on outside time and my son Is much more easier to handle and listens much better after I take him outside to burn off steam.

1 Like

Routine is critical at this age. If he does know what to expect, he’s more likely to do anything to get what he wants.

It’s definitely not too late to teach him respect. It sounds like maybe you’ve been a bit of a friend instead of a parent. You need to set boundaries.

Family therapy will help a lot. If that’s not an option, many communities offer inexpensive parenting classes. Kids don’t come with a manual. If that’s not an option, binge watch Supernanny and take careful notes, especially how she does the time out technique.

You definitely need to get out and have adult time, and your child needs to socialize with other kids. Be sure that you don’t become his entire life and that your world doesn’t revolve around him completely. That will teach him that everyone bows to him throughout life.

It’ll be hard at first. Probably VERY hard. But you’ll get the results you want and that he needs.

3 Likes

My son used to be like that too. We tried counseling, trained psychologists, reaching out and speaking to teachers, everything. None of that worked. Only one thing worked and that was a spanking on his bum. It gave him a reality check and I haven’t had to do it since. He is now a good boy, gets good grades and is a lot more respectful.

5 Likes

Ahh I feel this so much! My 13 year old does this DAILY! He has oppositional defiance disorder and that is definitely behavior. He does behavioral therapy. He will literally curse, throw things, tell me I’m the meanest mom etc. you name it he has said it. Get him into therapy now while he’s young to nip that behavior or you’re in for a real treat when he hits his teenage years!

5 Likes

My daughter has been the same way since about 5. Please look into Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

3 Likes

You are the parent plain and simple!! You have to follow through with whatever punishment you give him. Be consistent

14 Likes

I feel like the ages 6-8 are really hard for both parents and children because we’re like “come on now, you should KNOW THIS!” And they’re like “omg I’m trying the best i can. “ try to remind yourself that 6 and 7 are still really young. He’s figuring it out. What he can get away with, what he can’t. Honestly look up gentle parenting on tiktok. There’s a lot of resources out there as far as parenting goes. You just have to find what works for you and your child. Good luck. 10 years old isn’t any better :wink::wink::wink::joy:

3 Likes

He is smart enough to know how to control you, This needs to stop and you need to be a parent.

14 Likes

Doesn’t sound like you have been a mother, but instead treated him like a buddy. One time not listening then boom! Discipline!! They are fully developed by the age of 5 so it will now be much harder to change his behavior. I’m a mother of 8 children

5 Likes

Children often do what is expected of them. Read the book Have a New Kid by Friday.

3 Likes

Not going to sugar coat this. He manipulating you into getting what he wants. He is a child. They learn how to get what they want. Stop giving in. You’re not a bad mom if he didn’t get the candy he wants or the new toy. Ground him. He is getting to old for time out. Throw toys away. Don’t ever give in.

4 Likes

My son told me the other day that I fuss alot. And I know that is not true. If there is something I need him to do, I’ll ask him nicely a few times and then I have to be stern for him to do anything. It did hurt my feelings when he said that because I don’t want to be that mom. He is almost 12 so he knows better. He knows right from wrong.

Sounds like a very strong willed young man! I have 3 of those, 1 of which was harder than the others. When he was younger he always questioned everything. I didn’t like that, I was taught you do what you are told the first time! It was very difficult to parent a child like this! As time went on, it got harder. Strong willed kids are not easy. Your discipline measures have to change tremendously. It’s a Flat yes or no! No Grey in the middle, but explain why.
Example: Zachary, I told you No, because (insert reason). When you act like this, it is because of your behavior and only your behavior changing will stop this.
Yelling never worked with my strong willed child, in fact it did the opposite. More tantrums, more anger and etc!
They need strict discipline and strict routine! Do not yell, just simply say if you don’t do what I told you 1st time or within reasonable time then this is your punishment and stick to it! Don’t budge!
My MIL years ago showed me a book that helped out alot, it was called The Strong Willed Child. I’m not a reader but at the sametime I was at my witts end with trying to parent and not having any help made it worst.

This young man I speak of that is now almost 20, is wonderful, is very smart and very goal oriented and very driven! He will work til his fingers bleed! He is wonderful :heart:
There is light at the end of the tunnel mama! Stay strong and firm! You’ve got this, I will pray you have strength to continue on because when they grow up it is really amazing to see those hard headed little boys grow up to be some of the most amazing young men!
Good luck hun :hugs:

7 Likes

Don’t let his manipulation work. Be consistent. Sit together an make a list if family rules. Let him have input. Have punishments that are a natural consequence of his actions. Lots of praise when he does something without prompting.

4 Likes

Suggest family therapy speak to School Guidance Counselor or if there isn’t one speak to his teacher ask about a referral for a therapist. How is is behavior in school

Maybe he has an issue with authority figures. ADD

The chores may b too much for a 6 year old? I raised my son alone for 15 years, so this is really familiar!! Please try to not yell at him, instead sit him down n have a loving talk with him about how he does alot of great things n your proud if him, but it’s hurtful n makes u sad when he doesn’t listen. As many of us single parents do, u may b overwhelming him with information n demanding too much of him,? A routine would b Amazing for both of you n maybe keep you from getting frazzled!! I put my child in play therapy at this age n it saved us both!! Please don’t speak negatively about the absent parent- it’s too much 4 them. I wish u lots of luck!!! Lil boys can b tough but I’m praying you’ll get through it❤

2 Likes

Try having his sugar checked. If okay make him do what you want. He’s still a child not someone who can tell YOU what to do.

Sounds just like a SPOILED ROTTEN BRAT!!!Your fault!

8 Likes

I raised 4 kids on my own. I bust that butt when they needed it and they turned out good. YOU have to be the parent, he controls you and this isn’t right. He will start listening to you when you stand firm with him. Be consistent and I promise you in a week or 2 he will be different. Be firm. Good luck.

1 Like

Girl he is not your husband. Get both of you in therapy right away. You both have to learn boundaries. You are the mom he is a child. He knows how to play up your emotions but he should not isolate you from family and friends. Go get help fast. At 7 his emotional makeup is set but you can change.

5 Likes

children NEED routine/structure, and crave it subconsciously even if/when they consciously will say they’d love to do nothing all day, never do chores & never go to school. If they ACTUALLY live that lifestyle, that is literal neglect & abuse. Every child THINKS they wanna do nothing all day, because as we adults know, life is hard. But we as the adults owe it to the children in our care to create the structure, routine & environment that they as children & youth can thrive in. That’s our job. We’re the grown ups. We set the bar, we create the environment they grow up in.
I’m not gunna say you’ve been doing Time-Outs wrong, just that every child is a unique individual who processes everything in their own way. You may need to try other methods of discipline that work better for your child/situation. No 2 children are exactly alike, not siblings & not twins! I like your idea of starting to make him do a chore list when he gets off school before he’s allowed to play / be with friends. This was the rule in my household growing up, well before I turned 6 because I’m the youngest of 3 girls, this was always the normal routine in my home & we KNEW even in kindergarten it’s homework & chores first, playtime after. However because you are starting late with this attempt, do not expect your son to just follow suit overnight. You WILL get pushback, especially if he’s never been made to be accountable for chores & homework immediately after school prior to this. To ease him into it I’d have a talk with him about how moving forward this will be the new routine/expectation

2 Likes

Sit him down and tell him how it’s going to be. Take privileges away. Let him throw a tantrum. Don’t give in. Kids need routine and consistency. Should start much younger than 6 or 7.

3 Likes

Seek help for the child and support for the family

1 Like

Have him checked for ADHD. Comes with behavioral issues. I was always the parent who swore to never medicate her child but at seven my son was diagnosed with severe ADHD and severe anxiety after his dad died. Prevented him from having “common sense” it’s frustrating for both of you for sure. Try giving one task at a time. Kids don’t learn how to communicate on there own. It’s taught. Mine couldn’t read until third grade after I held him back in first grade. He’s also in therapy every two weeks. Sometimes as parents we have to give up on the ideas we had of parenting before we were actually parents. He’s now on the a/b honor roll ten and thriving. Your not failing. Parenting is hard and not all kids fit with the parenting styles that are given in books. Keep trying mama. Just do your best.

2 Likes

my 4.5 year old has been doing chores since they were 2, I have them do simple tasks like help me wipe off tables and I got them a mini cleaning set they help me clean all the time. Now their chores are to do dishes and help do laundry, they vacuum and feed the animals. I keep it simple but I always keep them busy with something. Bored hands always get into trouble. My kid gets to earn money for every task they complete 25 cents to 5 dollars depending on what they accomplish, at the end of the month they get to go to the store and buy something with their money or they can save it. Positive reinforcement therapy can also work, maybe your son likes the “time outs” because it gives him space, instead of saying time out maybe ask him if he needs a break, or a hug, talking it out can help

6 Likes

I would absolutely take everything away. He sounds very manipulative and he knows what he’s doing. He only NEEDS the basics in life. Food water clothing and shelter. The rest is a privilege. Sounds like u need to do some tough parenting. Cry in ur bedroom if u must but stick to your guns. Take everything away and let him earn it back. And then take it again if need be.

3 Likes

That’s just how children are. He’s at the age where he’s going to test how to behave to get what he wants. Kids don’t like to do anything strenuous or boring, they wanna have fun or do whatever they’re wanting. He’ll ‘insult’ you or say what he can to get under your skin. Kids don’t understand the meaning or depth behind a word. You’re going to have to get you some tough skin and try to become stronger against it, because it will only get worse.

Teach him that words matter and sometimes we have to do things that aren’t fun in order to get to the fun part. You’re his light in this world and will have to guide and teach him.

When he tries to be mean to get what he wants, don’t do it. If he cries, whines, throws a fit then don’t do it. Tell him that his behavior or words needs to be nicer. After some time he’ll correct himself. If you keep after it the behavior will change.

Sit down with him and talk it out. He’s going to be rough with other people because his entire life has just been ‘mom’ and he doesn’t want to share you. You’re going to need to have a conversation with him. One he’ll understand and be on level with. Ask him why he says these things, why he behaves the way he does, how he’s feeling, and just listen. Don’t get mad, upset, or emotional. Speak with him. You’ll be amazed how far a conversation can help, even with children.

3 Likes
  1. Ask
  2. Explain consequence. And tell him if he continues to not listen. He is choosing that consequence.
  3. Actually enforce the consequence.
    Children can absolutely do age appropriate chores.
    A. Clean up their own eating space.
    B. Clean up their toys. If they are strong enough to drag the toys out. They are absolutely strong enough to to drag them back to correct location.
    C. Pick up their dirty clothing. Take to laundry area.
  4. Clean up their toiletries in bathroom after using them.
  5. Any other milestone appropriate chore for him. You feel like he is capable of.
    He is manipulating your feelings. You do not have a partner to give you a break or back you up. Sounds like you are emotionally exhausted. I can certainly understand why. But, if his behavior continues he will do this in other relationships in his life. Friendships will be hard to maintain with his narcissistic behavior. I am sure you want him to have happy respectful relationships. Not just with you. But, also when he tries to form friendships with his peers. He sounds strong willed yes. He needs to understand life is a series of choices and consequences. When he chooses not to listen to you. He has chosen the consequent. You are NOT the bad Mom! You clearly love your son. But letting him believe he can manipulate you into doing what he wants. Is going to damage your long term relationship. You both deserve better. Schedule a night periodically to get away to reenergize you. Wishing you all the best! Don’t feel guilty about doing the right thing! Your a GOOD Mom! 
7 Likes

If he is telling you that you’re a bad mom, then you are doing your job. Kids lash out when they don’t get their way. There are consequences for bad behavior. He will outgrow it. Good luck!

Show consistency. Sit down and write out a daily schedule with chores included. Don’t allow him to get any extra privileges until after his chores are done. Stick to it.

I had to do this with my 8 year old daughter. She is my ride or die, my best friend, etc… But within the last year (I have gotten married and had another child) she has gone off the rails with attitude and rudeness, but only towards me. She even started talking to me with the same rude, sarcastic, and abusive tone and manner her father does. She started talking down to me like I was a lesser person and she was the boss.
I tried talking to her Dad about it, but he was no help, because he sees nothing wrong with the fact that she is picking up his behavior when she witnesses how he talks to me.
It is a long hard road to fix that kind of behavior, but it is working. I literally took away everything this last go around (we had an eye appointment and errands to run so it involved me getting up earlier than normal) she straight out said that she highly doubts that in getting up early and we will see what happens, but I should probably cancel my plans. She was a tyrant all day that day, so when we got home from running errands (that I was early for) I took literally everything away from her except for books, one pencil, and one pen. No Switch, no playing outside with friends, no swimming pool, I told her sensei about her rudeness and he is having her do extra push ups, laps, and stretches before and after class, and she only gets her phone when she goes to karate class (she would get it for school, but they’re out for the summer) or home to get dad’s. She now has to earn them back by showing me more respect and speaking to me like I matter. All of her chores have to be done right after breakfast and they have to be finished before lunch if she wants a chance at earning a privilege for the day.

First off, when you’re asking him to do something or warning him, always make sure to say “if you do/don’t do X, then there will be a consequence. Do you understand?” And make sure he is looking at you. That way you can make sure he hears/understands you. Follow through with a consequence if he doesn’t listen. Make him do some chores, take a toy away or have him sit in the corner away from toys. Find what consequence will work for him.

1 Like

If my kids would never have gotten as far as your did… I’m an old fashioned southern mom and I spank butt when they get a mouth on them. I remind them I’m boss, I’m not your friend and I will be disciplining you as I see fit… kids have to fear a parent and parent needs to take control and put a foot down and not tolerate behavior before it gets out of control like it’s obvious done here. Do not be afraid to discipline your child. He’ll respect you more by setting boundaries and structure. Good luck.

1 Like

Could there be something going on like ADHD or on the spectrum or anything?
My 7yr old lacks social ques and empathy. She seems to only care.about herself. It’s been a hard road but shes doing better.
Maybe contact a child and youth center for counseling.
Could the child resent you for the other parent being gone etc… etc.
They can help!
Best of luck.
And follow through !!! So important.

2 Likes

Routine and take away privileges. Don’t listen? No toys, tablet etc.

2 Likes

Maybe speak to drs. Like a physiotherapist, I have a friend in ur situation. Good luck. Prayers

1 Like

Tell him to go to the corner the first time he doesn’t listen for 5 min. Give him a chance to think and you a chance to calm down. Ask him what he did wrong, why it was wrong and what he will do differently next time. For every time he doesn’t listen he loses an hour of electronics or some toy he really likes. This will motivate him to listen the first time and save you from the frustration and yelling. It may take a few times and it may be a battle for a bit but I swear this eventually works.

4 Likes

STOP giving into him. He’s using it as fuel. My 4 year old was a DISASTER with me being a single mom and I wouldn’t take her anywhere either. If you aren’t sturn and the “bad mom” sometimes nothing is gonna change.

My 4 year old (5 on monday) has started acting out in public also. Making it so we don’t want to bring him anywhere because we feel we are being looked at as terrible parents because our child is having a melt down over not getting what he wants. I simply just keep explaining to him that we don’t get everything we want in life, especially when we act out. If you are good, you’re more likely to get things you want, but sometimes they just aren’t able to be done. I’m hoping this phase passes soon, because we like to do things as a family, but having him act out is becoming harder to want to. Just stick to it and don’t give in. Once given an inch, they’ll always push for more.

1 Like

Ido not know bthe father situation ? I agree with thephysiotherapist, he could have abandonment issues, Too, How is he in school?get the doctor;s opinion, and suggestionsbthen go from theresounds emotional.

The thing about common sense, is that most of it is actually learned. Once they’ve gotten in the habit of bad behaviors, it can feel really hard to break. Some important things I’ve learned: consistency. Follow through, with punishment and reward. Positively reinforce behaviors you want, negatively reinforce behaviors you want to end. Every time. Even if it’s easier not to. Yes to routine. I totally understand that it must be hard without support, but as much as you can. Routine is vital for kids, especially if they’re feeling overwhelmed or going through something. Sleep. I feel like our society doesn’t understand how much sleep kids need. When I see kids acting out in public, it usually seems visibly noticeable that they’re exhausted. See a therapist, or his pediatrician, and get some tips there.

4 Likes

First of all you are doing great. Sometimes motherhood is a thankless job, it’s never too late to learn respect. My advice is to stick to your guns and don’t give in. When doing punishments you’re always going to feel like shit but that’s the only way they’re going to learn. If my boys don’t do regular timeouts I have them put their nose to the wall. Also maybe try and incentive. You be respectful or complete your chores for so many days we will do something fun, Not before. I have seven kids (6 boys, 1 girl) and they still make “fun” days suck most of the time. That’s just part of parenting. :person_shrugging:

Good behavior gets rewards, bad behavior including rudeness gets no rewards. Always consequences good and bad. Neg attention is a learned behavior also.

Take away everything and as his behavior drastically changes the slowly give it back and praise him for good behavior. Your the parent. Don’t let him run things.

3 Likes

There are normal behavioral challenges, which parents face and are not easy. The advice of other parents may not be a solution for you if your child is facing other issues that their child does not have. Please get an evaluation from professionals before trying the strategies that work for others. Please do not allow others to judge your actions, or the reactions of your child. Do your best, with all of the love and best intentions a mom can have. Recognize that there might be more than meets the eye with your child, do your best to find answers, and try to be patient. Perhaps the behaviors that you describe fall within the normal parameters and the usual advice is good advice. Perhaps something more is required for your family. Best wishes to you in seeking solutions to a very complex situation.

2 Likes

I highly recommend the book 5 love languages of children. It talks about how it can affect behavior and how to figure out what your child’s love language is.
It will take a few weeks but really makes a huge difference in my opinion. My son just turned 4 and we struggled for a bit with tantrums and such, he still has them but not nearly as often and we can usually sidetrack it.

Another suggestion that has worked wonders is if we’re at the store and he wants to get something and I say not this time we take a picture of it, and I tell him next time we can buy something we will go through his pictures and pick something. Also helps for bdays and holidays for gift giving if people ask for ideas you can send those.

As a single mom myself I completely understand where you’re coming from, sending love to you momma. :heart:
Just remember you’re a wonderful mom and you’re doing your best.

3 Likes

Who’s in charge again?

2 Likes

Girl. I feel this in my bones. I have a 6.5 year old boy and I swear you’re talking about him. I have no advice but just know you are not alone. I hope it gets easier for you and me. Following to also get some tips. :heart:

Editing to add: we are on a wait list for my son to get tested for ADHD and ODD. I’m almost positive he has these. Hopefully this will help us.

1 Like

Good ole fashion whooping on a regular basis would calibrate him. Or I would send him to military school.

6 Likes

I would not try anything until you get him in to be evaluated far a child psychologist or child psychiatrist. This child knows exactly how to control you. Even if you know that’s what he’s doing you’re letting him so as not to make waves in public. I was a pediatric office nurse for 15 years before I started floating in and out and work for one of Bob 2 who specialized in A DD HD HD and defiant disorders. This is not a normal action by a 7 year old. He probably knows you feel guilty about being a single parent and he’s using it to his advantage. If a seven year old does not treat you with respect and purposely makes every outing not good for you and absolutely does not give a damn if he hurts your feelings now and this behavior isn’t stopped as a teenager he’s going to beat the crap out of you whenever he wants. Don’t try a bunch of ideas on here and call for professional help. One of the best in the business mentioned to me once that if you don’t feel better when you walk out of a Mental Health professional office it is time to start hunting for a different professional. 50% of all of them have graduated at the bottom of their class. And not all professionals work well with everybody.

I agree with your son about you being a bad mom, but for different reasons! If you can’t have friends over, can’t have a relationship, can’t take your kid in public, etc; because he is a little punk, that is 100% your fault! Your kid is like a lump of clay for you to mold into whatever you want, for the most part. You are molding your clay into an unpleasant problem because it has always been the easiest way, the path with the least resistance, and now you are having consequences. All the hard work you skipped up to this point, will have to made up for! Sorry to be so blunt, but I call it like I see it. Every mom I know has qualified for “bad mom” multiple times while raising kids, and we all learn from our mistakes. Please learn from your mistakes & stop worrying about what your kid thinks of you & raise your kid right. Morals & manners are the most valuable thing you can ever teach your kid. If you don’t teach those 2 things, you are negligent!

9 Likes

Watch super nanny you’re bound to find something that works for your child. Bc all in all he doesn’t respect you as an authority figure and he knows it gets to you bc clearly you’ve given in time and time again that’s why he still does it. You’re the parent, grow a backbone.

4 Likes

It’s never too late to teach respect. Be his mother not his friend. Him telling you your mean and whatnot is his way of pushing your right buttons to get what he wants. If you do not stop that behavior, it will only get worse. Watch south Park and pay real close attention to how Cartman interacts with his mom. If you don’t nip it in the bud at a young age, this is what you are headed for. I’ve seen what kids that start off like this and go unchecked end up like. I personally know of one that told his mom he wishes she would die, and got children and youth involved on purpose by telling outright lies at school because she made him go to school instead of letting him stay home and play video games. It’s an ugly road if you let it continue.

Yes routine is a must with children and yes he also should have some lil chores. Bad behavior has to be consistantly dealt with regardless of how you feel it isn’t working. I’m sorry to say this but it sounds to me like you have spoiled him so much that he isn’t thankful or happy with anything you do for him. Believe me if your consistant and on top of it right away disaplining him it soon will work. He will respect you alot even if it doesn’t seem like it. When he doesn’t do his chores everything needs to hault till he completes them. He will respect you later for it. If you feel as a mom that there is a problem with him you need to address this with his dr. Get help now instead of waiting. Good luck.
A mom of 7

My 5 year old is the same way. She can be extremely cruel in what she says when all i try to do is tell her how much i love her and how amazing she is, then she says things that i just need to walk away and calm down. Im mean, a monster, recently, she hates me. Im trying everything, but sometimes she just wants to watch the world burn. I don’t have much in advice, but you’re not alone.

Kinda a lil late to teach him anythin at 6 but if u stay persistent myb things will change best of luck

You’re the parent and should be the boss not him. Spanking him would work wonders!

1 Like

You need to meet somebody with a firm hand. Wood sheds haven’t gone out yet. Some boys just need that firm hand upside their butt.

Routine is key, no is a hard no, take things away. You got this mama :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I would speak to his pediatrician maybe have some testing done

1 Like

When he is not doing the right thing give him a smack on the back side. You are the adult he is the child. You are the boss not him

3 Likes

I struggle with this daily with my son, who is now 14, and was diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder when he was around 8, even though the behaviors had been on going for a couple years at that time. My son has an in home BHP that worked with him for awhile and made a world of difference for him. He still struggles daily, and the worst is school. But he has more good day now than bad. Set boundaries, rules and expectations and do not give in on them!

You need to be the parent and take control. Either you control him or later the police will. He cannot be allowed to control you and what you do. If he gets ugly correct him one way or another. You have allowed him to disrespect you as the parent. If you dont anger and resentment in you will grow and he will play you.

This is tough one. One suggestion if he watches TV sit with him an watch with him. It might give you an insight to where he is Getting this attitude! If you feel it is part of the problem then the program is banned. Listen to what and how the characters talk. Sponge Bob has been on the banned list fora long time. No clothing with character either.

Well, I am that mom that smacked her sons hand and told him NO, at the time he was able to walk and touch my things… ( I never moved my breakables) so I pray it gets better for you. You’re starting a little late, but I hope you find peace…

I think the child is in charge
If she doesn’t do something now.
For get it when he gets older it gets worst
She is the parent

4 Likes