How can I parent my 6-year-old son?

Spanking with a belt on the butt a couple swats and have him do things to earn his things back persistence is key :+1:your the boss and he’s taking complete advantage of you if you don’t get him managed now you may never tell him 1 time and if he doesn’t do what you ask take something away that he really likes make him stand in a corner right there by you so every time he moves away your right there to put him back The best of Luck to you maybe even try church Sunday school that may help you too, to cope with it better , just saying anything to hopefully help :pray::pray::pray:

It will be hard but you need to set strict rules. If he doesn’t do what he is supposed to don’t let him do what he wants. I’m a single dad and I have been very easy on my daughter except when she decides not to listen all the fun stops and she goes to time out. (With nothing no toys no tv etc) Yes she gets upset and cries sometimes but I let her cry it out then talk to her about why she is in time out. Not because daddy wants to be mean or punish her because she has to understand that she can’t always cry and get what she wants. I started that about a year ago when she turned 2 she will be 3 very soon. She’s a very very smart child she plays with my sisters 4 kids almost everyday from 2-12. She catches on very fast on what they do and tries to mimic them and do what they do. It’s actually gotten easier to tell her no and she excepts it without the crying or a little tantrum but I stayed on it even when I felt bad but it’s paying off. She is a great child and will listen and share toys when we have family or friends over without throwing a big fuss about it because she knows I will put her in a 10 minute time out and the other kids will still be playing while she watches. To her it’s not worth the time out she loves her toys she’s very spoiled and has lots of toys but thats so the other kids can play with her so they play together or the toys go away.
Point being don’t feel bad you are not friends. It’s your job to teach him now so he doesn’t continue the behavior as he gets older and it becomes a real problem with other kids not wanting to play with him etc. Stay strong be stern but still show love. It’s a hard combo but once you figure it out it gets easier.

2 Likes

Every person is different he can see your weakness and uses it against you. He is your baby boy no matter the age but you need to put your foot down. Talk to him. Be open and stand your ground. You love him and you are a great mother. He needs to be respectful. You are his home you are his planet he knows nothing other than you. He can be unsure but you know who you are. His mom. You got this girl head high okay? Best of luck

1 Like

Welcome to.parenting 101. Wait for the day he tells you he “hates” you… it will be a tough one for you. Also look at the reason behind the behaviour… dont just look at the child.

1 Like

Kids complain sometimes…but thankyou later for a great time!! Lol . emotional age at 7 too. I dont think they really understand all those feelings. Have a talk with him. Just a casual chat. Idk. Just some solid 1:1 time. He gets to pick what u do for fun!! Then go from there. Works for me. Its tough, but parenting isn’t easy. And housework/chores can wait…

1 Like

And yes routine is vital.

1 Like

Get professional help. There are many programs that cover this help.

1 Like

Nope. You’re his MOM… not his friend. Sit him down and have a real conversation. Tell him that from now on he only gets 3 chances. Tell him 1… what he needs to do ( or not do). 2, have him repeat it. On 3… he loses a toy or privilege… or time out. Also, disrespectful behavior will NOT be tolerated. If he does, he goes straight to his room.

2 Likes

Everything you’re saying is a scream for attention and help for him. He doesn’t care if it’s positive or negative. He’s the child and you’re the parent meaning you will have to say no and set boundaries he needs to respect. If that means taking away games and TV time, so be it. Those are privileges not rights. I like the idea of looking into what he’s watching and would do the same with any games hes playing as well, but he may also be feeling the effects of not having a stable adult male figure in his life too. I think counseling could be an excellent release for him and for you to get to the root of his problems. He’s clearly not dealing with whatever is going on and is very much taking it out on you which isn’t acceptable either. You have to teach him the right behaviors and acceptable ways to cope with stress, anger, resentment, all of his feelings. I just think you need help doing so as you may not be personally equipped to help him in those aspects.

When you’re a single parent, especially when you just have one child, sometimes you slip into a dysfunctional, closely intertwined relationship with your child. The relationship gets out of whack. You both really need counseling to get back to a healthier parent/child relationship. It’s more than you can do on your own.

1 Like

If I EVER talked back or was disrespectful to my mother, dad would beat my ass. It happened 3 times in my life. I loved my parents til the end. I raised my son the same way. I seriously didn’t have to raise a hand to him, until he was taller than me. I had to do something. And that was after my divorce when his dad wasn’t around. I had to be the nurturing mother and the disciplinarian. That was not easy, but I learned to pick my battles. Name calling and words should not hurt, but disrespect should be punished House rules should be explained and clear. It’s not easy, but it is worth it. Write them down. I was not going to let that boy grow up to disrespect women or authority. And he’s 32 today, and is a compassionate, happy, great human being.

Follow through with what you say your going to do.
Accountability is key!
Remember he knows you well and if you don’t follow through they won’t take you seriously as a parent.

He sounds like my 6 year old and you sounds d like me and with this I’ll tell you its not you mom get him evaluated by a professional he may have mild autism,defiant disorder adhd anything and may need a different form of disapline or medication i was loosi g my sh*t and ppl tellimg me i had no control over her when i k eq something wasnt right so that’s exactly how it went for me until she started school and became a problem for teachers now she’s been diagnosed mild autism and odd she’s on meds now and therapy total differance especially when you learn how to deal.with it good luck mom you got this stay strong

My son was just like this. Please take him to a therapist. It’ll make such a difference for both of you