How can I teach my child about gratitude?

I am just feeling some kind of way right now. My mom surprised my family of 4 (myself, hubby, 5yo and 17 months old) with tickets to Disney On Ice today as an experience Christmas gift. The show was great! My 5yo is an ungrateful little turd. When he found out where we were going, he said, “I like surprises with animals.” There’s still hope for the 17-month-old, but of course, he just requires a lot still at this age. I’m just to this point where if my older son is gonna be ungrateful and not have fun (according to him) then I just don’t want to even make plans with him in mind. If he’s gonna be a buzz kill, then I want to do what I want to do. If he’s gonna complain then I’d rather listen to him complain while at the beach than at Disney on Ice. Ya know? Anyone else experiences this? Any moms with older kids… does it get better? Or am I just selfish? How do I teach him gratitude?

20 Likes

A 5 yr old can still learn to be grateful.

3 Likes

Honestly I think it’s just the age. We have the same issue with ours but we remind him every time he does this to be greatful and that not everyone is as blessed as we are

3 Likes

I’d take every toy away from him start having him donate to those in need. Maybe don’t give nor buy your child everything he wants thats how they start expecting.

1 Like

Zen Pig it’s a book series for kids. It’s amazing.

2 Likes

He’s 5. They have no filter. Talk with him. Explain. Help him to understand his words and attitude affect those around him. He’s not a lost cause. It gets better. And when the teenage years begin, you’ll be happy to hear you get to do this all over again.

8 Likes

Well tell him that just like that. Tell him if you dont want to do what someone put alot of time and thought into for him next time we will plan something that i like to do. They’re old to understand what your saying. I start teachin the kids very young to appreciate what they have. Get a gift that tou they want and give it to someone else. Show them that theres alot of kids out there that have nothing and that itll help someone else out alot! Maybe tell him well if you dont want to go do what we had planned ill give the ticket to yo to someone else that really wants to go and tou can stay home it works everytime. My daughter one day was complaining about someone wanting food that she had to take home so we went over and gave the food to them when we got home because i explained to her that maybe they dont have food at home or maybe their hunger or maybe they just want it but we never know for sure why they are asking so we should be kind and share what we have even if we dont have much to give. I turn everything i can into giving back to others. And how to be kind and grateful they may not understand at the time and they may throw a fit about giving the ticket away or not going where they wantnjust explain why your doing what you are. Tell him well this we get to go to the beach because you didnt like the last suprise we planned for you so i planned one i would like.

You yourself have to model grateful behavior. That’s how kids learn so over every small thing speak gratitude of it. Every single night my spouse thanks me for a hot dinner, even if it’s delivery, and I thank him for going to work. I thank my children for washing their hands or putting away their things. I say out loud that I’m so thankful for blah blah blah. It’s a reminder for all of us and keeps gratitude in the forefront of our minds always.
We’ve always done this and my kids are now 8 and 11 very very respectful and grateful children. Just lead by example.

16 Likes

It’s a son and it’s a child… they’re not going to want to see disney.

3 Likes

Hes 5 and hes opening communicating his like and dislikes. Which is great but of course we want our kids to be grateful and to realize not everything is going to entirely go the way we want some times but maybe reminding him they took the time to think about you guys as a family to let you go on this event and it still can be just as fun. It sounds ridiculous but I overuse manners with them thanking them for every little thing they do listen on and I expect and remind the same from them. Its just the age momma theres still hope !!

My son was very demanding and never said please or thank you. Finally I looked at him and I said “I think you’re telling ME that I need to be more polite when I speak to people.” From that day I’ve been more polite and said behavior is wearing off on my son.
Lesson being sometimes kids behavior is a reflection of the adults they see.

5 Likes

Dont take him… problem should sort itself out

1 Like

I have boys and can say with certainty none would have enjoyed Disney on ice I probably would have but we never went because I knew that is the reaction I would have gotten.

2 Likes

I try to teach my kids gratitude by giving to those in need. We have been blessed by strangers many times and I always believe in paying it forward.

1 Like

Gratefulness, respect and tact is taught by the parent. It’s okay for them to not be happy about everything but they also have to be taught that no one is required to give them anything so they should be grateful for a gift received. If you don’t start teaching that now at a young age it’s 100% harder the older they get.

2 Likes

My great grandson is 2 1/2 and he says please ,thank you,your welcome and excuse me , he has been doing this since he started to talk, I think it’s how you bring my them up.

2 Likes

Maybe explain it to him? I’m sorry you didn’t like the show but (whoever bought the tickets) thought you would like it. They went through a lot of trouble to give us, as a family, a nice gift. Ask him if he even wants to go before going? Show him videos of previous shows to give him a clue of what the show is about.

My boyfriend LOVES Disney and always has so those saying he’s a boy so he won’t like Disney are silly.

It may have been too long of a show?? Maybe next time if he doesn’t want to go have someone fun babysit. I remember going to shows as a kid and thinking oh this is cool but get bored really quickly.

A fun playdate with a cool babysitter (whether it be family or someone you hire) might be more fun for him.

I think at this age they don’t have a filter really. Teaching them how to say things differently helps though. For example my (as of today) 3 year old will say I don’t want you in here. I tell her that saying I want to be alone sounds nicer and the other way hurts my feelings. She’s been saying it the nicer way now :grin:

2 Likes

Next time tell you where you’re going If he doesn’t want to go he can stay at home

5 year olds don’t really think before they speak. They are completely honest and super picky. I honestly believe that this is normal for a 5 year old. Maybe teach him to express his feelings later in private but to be kind and say thank you to grandma when he’s around her.

6 Likes

This is the time to teach him! Best way to do so is to show him not everyone has stuff like that ! As well as continuing to do that there whole life! Take him to volunteer! Show him the other side of life even if he doesn’t experience the struggle he can still be apart of it and understand it through others! The holidays are a good time to volunteer at kitchens ! Food banks! Shelters human and animal! Do it many times a year not just holidays ! and try different places !

1 Like

hes 5 u have probably taught him to be honest n up front (I have a 4.5 yr old i FEEL yr pain!) n next u gotta teach them they don’t always get what they want n just like the potty n honesty gotta teach him gratitude as well it SUCKS I am going thru it now with “I don’t like/want tht!!” so “Santa” is getting him a few books on please n thank u n gratitude I also just found out I’m expecting again (very early shhhh :joy:) but I am on the $h!t right now cuz u have another lil one n i as the oldest if 4 know bout sibling jealousy too n I’m try in to nip tht in the bud now too! good luck hun we aren’t allowed to snack them anymore so its books, time outs yelling n frustration may the toddler gods be eva in yr favor

my 8 yr old still struggles with this from time to time…but it does get better.

My son is 4 and absolutely loved Disney on ice this year and can’t wait to go back. Kids model what they see and repeat what they hear. You be gracious and thankful and they will be too

Wow. How old are you?

2 Likes

Sounds like he is learning lots from you. Maybe rethink how your teaching him? You sound pretty negative and calling your son ungrateful? He’s 5 dude, grow up.

2 Likes

U have to teach them I guess ? I tell my 5yo to always say thank u and please , we were at shoprite last week and the cashier gave him 2 stickers after he got them my son said thank you! The cashier even said that he was the first kid to ever say thank you to him and that as a parent felt good ! So it comes from home , whatever they see they copy :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

Lol i would have found a babysitter and dropped his ass right tf off. Or let my husband take the other children and me and that child can stay home. We can bless another mother and child with those two tickets. Tht ungrateful shit got to go just as quick as it came.

2 Likes

I take my daughter on outings but at one point she was going thru a phase like that, in the end i put my foot down everytime it happened. She was going to complain then she doesn’t have to go and she stays home with dad or grandma. After a few times she started whinging about being left at home and she finally got the idea. She now doesn’t complain and is grateful about spending time with me and her dad.

3 Likes

I completely understand.
I have an 18 year old daughter that has a lot of times complained or has been “annoyed” or in one of her moods when doing having activities, vacations, dinners out etc and when she’s in her mood or in a negative place then it totally makes me upset and wishing that when she’s like that, that it spoils the moment/ experience. There has been times that I wanted her to stay home. So I get it. It’s okay and just keep at it. You can only do so much. Some kids/ people are just more on the negative side unfortunately.

2 Likes

My husband and I have never really be “well off” we don’t even live near any of our parents. My kids aren’t spoiled by grandparents, and I was in poverty most of my life. We have to work really hard for what we have. I think the level of expectations from your son is just because he’s used to having grandma around, having those fun things. I always tell my kids that they have so much more than I did growing up and that no matter how big or how small, always be thankful for what you have and what you are given. Just teach him that grandma won’t always be around so we need to enjoy the things that she gives to us now so that we don’t feel ungrateful for them later in life or take advantage of the small surprises. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

5 Likes

Lead by example and stay consistent. Show gratitude to your kid when you like his behavior. Over exaggerate it too! They love to hear that they made you happy or did a good thing.

12 Likes

As a parent you teach your child to be honest. Kids at that age life is black and white, he’s not going to pretend to be excited about something to make someone else feel better. Teach him that new experience are just as exciting and he’ll look forward to trying new things in life. He can’t be excited for something he knows nothing about.

5 Likes

How about watching it on YouTube first? Also would it have Disney animals? Maybe play some Disney stuff to get him excited and then show him how to be grateful? Didn’t Grandma pick a great gift!?! Never been, but that’s what I would do. Hype it up that you’re soo excited and put Disney on

1 Like

I used to tell my daughter by law I had to feed her, clothe her, keep a roof over her head & keep her safe …anything else was a bonus for her…:wink:
Check his little but now…

9 Likes

Some times kids act like that, but what I would do is take him to buy something for grandma as a thank you for the gift she made for the whole family so he will start learning about being grateful and give back :pray::100::raised_hands:
Don’t be so hard on him, he is just 5, he will learn.

5 Likes

You should probably teaching niceness to be grateful and thankful, I know someone who has a kid yes he hads session like freak out hissy fit, if things don’t go his way if he’s bored and he’s 12 now, all they do is yell he yells back, he’s in control Baisley of them his family, they’re literally leave places doing something with somebody because he is too much and just go home, because to him it’s been ok some what to be that way for so long so like they haven’t done much about it, you have to get him out of that now before it’s too late and it’s much harder to just saying family sometimes I don’t want to be around this kid cuz we don’t know what kind of mood he’s going to be in if things don’t go his way like if he wants to be or leave some where.

He’s five. He will be grateful if you keep teaching. He can draw grandma a thank you picture of the least boring thing he saw. Lol. Grown ups try new things all time. Use this as a way to engage with your child of their likes and how they found out like this vs that. What an opportunity to get to know your son better! And maybe, depending if your kid was like mine, he was so nervous about new situations he would act out, then be a buzz kill because he was stressed out about what was going to happen. We worked through it by talking about the show/game he would play at the time and what an adventure it was to not know what the next challenge would be. How it felt to accomplish the new thing, and then when I used those terms when talking about a new place (Branson) he was not so worried and would refocus on the rides, water slides etc. Don’t ever give up on your kids. My oldest is 14 and while at times marvel at his attitude and how my mother managed not to strangle me, I also get to see his amazing compassion and problem solving skills… Getting off my soap box now…

5 Likes

When my daughter was younger she went through a phase like this. I just got really firm and after a couple of months it stopped. I remember once we were on our way to her best friends birthday party who lives around the corner and I said if she didn’t stop we’re not going. I ended up dropping the present at their door and turning around in their driveway and going home (I messaged them to let them know what happened). She couldn’t believe it! She definitely didn’t think I’d stick to my word. I would take her to everything as normal so she didn’t miss any opportunity because of me but she lost them immediately and on the spot, no matter how far away from home we were or how important the eventually was, if it was because of her actions. She got the idea pretty fast and is now one of the most grateful and empathetic children. Hang in there, I know how frustrating it can be

2 Likes

The other way you could try and go about it would be “I like surprises with animals to but let’s try this new surprise this time, you might like this one to if you try it out” explain that wont learn new things to like if he always just does the same things. That way he sees you are respecting his feelings about the situation but still showing him that doing new things can be fun to

5 Likes

I’m not sure kids have a filter that works very well at that time so they are just kinda saying what they feel or know. My girl has books about sharing, being polite, and being selfish along with a few others I’m sure there is a book that can kinda help. Also for me, instant gratification is unfortunately the new world problem with the internet so I limit the computer/phone and YouTube. Mothers are made resilient, keep on keeping on.

When possible, I try to have preparatory conversations with my kids ahead of time to set expectations. Like seeing family for Christmas… “Girls, you’re not always going to get what you want. But our family has been generous enough to get gifts for you, so make sure our family knows how thankful you are.” Sure, it’s less authentic, but kids need reminders a lot for things that are common courtesy for us. Now in other situations when you have no advance notice and can’t prep your kid and they act like a turd, that’s when I pull out some mean mom tactics. They might have to miss out on the next fun thing they are invited to do. Sorry. And I have had to have hard conversations about gratefulness and empathy. What do you think it felt like for grandma to hear your disappointment or complaining? What do you think it would feel like if you planned something special and the person you invited complained about it? It’s not about guilt tripping, but teaching empathy. Sometimes kids don’t understand how much their words and attitudes matter until they can imagine themselves on the receiving end of it. Brings perspective. This is such a hard thing. And honestly, the 4-5 age range was really tough in this area. I have felt what your feeling and questions what I was doing wrong. Figuring out to raise grateful kids is tough work. I’m still navigating it.

3 Likes

No advice.
Advice is boring.
Lead by example.

One way to make them understand is to just not let them do the fun stuff for awhile and then they will appreciate when it does happen

4 Likes

Kids be kids you sound ungrateful for your children :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I tell my kids that when someone gives you something or even just hands you something, even if it’s a turd sandwich, they have to say thank you. If course, kids don’t listen. They learn by modeling.

Did you ever stop to think that his problems stem from your reactions???

1 Like

Oh it gets worse no matter how you teach them not to be selfish gits they are they will grow out of it hopefully I have 3 boys 26 12 & 10 they can be very selfish but then they do an unselfish thing so all growing up I suppose x

If he is a ungrateful little turd as you put it then mabe you should try letting him go without …if he can’t appreciate what he has or what he gets …then he doesnt need to get it …

2 Likes

Say this is a gift & you say thank u

1 Like

Set an example. Say thank you, sorry , etc

“Theres still hope for THE 17 month old she says” you dont even talk about your children in a caring way. Are you serious? So you just give up hope on your 5 year old? HES 5 . You need to TEACH him. I know that might seem crazy but he’s also a human with emotions who ultimately is gonna learn from YOU maybe its YOU try changing your ways. Discipline. Be consistent. Grow up a little too…

6 Likes

I have a 5 and a 3 year old. We took them to see christmas lights around a neighborhood. The 3 year old fell asleep after complaining not every house had a grinch set up and the 5 year old complained it was too cold with the window down but too dark with the window up to see lol but still everyday we march forward with new experiences. Its not that they are ungrateful its that they are just speaking, communicating what they like and dont. Im sure if he was on a beach he’d love sand and talk about it and if he saw an ice show it would be fun as well or tell you why it wasnt so great. My kids say all the time grocery store is boring park is fun ect ect they just are developing new interests. Also no matter how big or small of a gift or experience they always have to say thank you.

4 Likes

As a parent,your reaction upsets me. You reap what you sow as my grandma would say…

8 Likes

He is five! Most kids that young ARE “buzz kills.” Think of it this way, kids that young can’t even regulate their emotions let alone most of em sit still. Yet you want a five year old to do exactly that just bc a bunch of grown ass folk are skating around on ice. I purposely don’t take my kids to shit like that bc not only am I gonna be bored, so are they. You’re expressing how you feel, and yet getting mad at him for doing the exact same by saying he would prefer to do something with animals. Its not as though he asked to go and threw a fit, this was a random outing forced on him and then expected to just suck it up and enjoy it. I dont take my kids anywhere to do anything if I even suspect there is gonna be an issue. If you want him to appreciate things then take him to do volunteer work and see kids who do go without and what it’s like. Let him see what it would be like and explain it could very well be him in those shoes

8 Likes

It’s his age sweetie. My 5 yr old is the exact same sometimes but I constantly talk to him about how/why we should be grateful for stuff. He’s picked up on some stuff but has a long way to go yet :grimacing: So for example, if he wastes his dinner because he just simply didn’t want that food, then I explain we should always try it and eat as much as we can because some child out in the world doesn’t even get food or if they do, they don’t get as good quality of food as it could be mouldy or something. It probably sounds harsh to some people, but this way I know I’m not going to bring him up thinking he’s privileged and better than others.

1 Like

You know I tell my kids the reality of the world how there are kids with nothing also maybe do a charity type situation with him drop socks off at a homeless shelter it takes only a few minutes then have a talk with him about people with much less and I also have my kids donate part of there old toys every holiday they get gifts to kids that don’t have any

2 Likes

Roleplay. Roleplay gift giving, take turns giving and receiving, model appropriate responses. Play is children’s best way to learn :ok_hand:

1 Like

I have 5 kids 15, 12, 10, 9, and 8. They have always been greatful for all things. I work very hard on teaching then respect. They all earn any extras and have since always. For example we have a ymca membership and regularly go swimming. They ask weekely to go. All of them that want to go will do chores because that will give me the time to take them. So they wanna go Saturday and they know I deep clean the livingroom every Saturday they will dust move the furniture and sweep under it ect. All my children do extra activities they know that I’m spending my time and money to get them in it and to get then
to and from it so they help me extra by putting away dishes or the older ones make dinner a few nights a week.

Take him to hand out blankets to the homeless. That’s what my mom did to my sister. Show him there are people who have a lot less than him and to be grateful for his blessings

2 Likes

A 5 year old is not an older child. A five year old is still learning emotions. You can’t treat him/her like a 10 year old and punish them because you don’t like how they feel.

11 Likes

When my kid did this at around age 9 (she’s 15 now) I looked up a video, I don’t remember if it was on YouTube, anyway, of children that lived in extreme poverty. She never did it again. Now she just says, “thanks mama, you should’ve have cause you’re my greatest gift”. Big wake up call for her. At think 5 is a great age to show them.

1 Like

Show him how fortunate he is. My oldest (now 8 going on 9) was like that for little awhile around 4-5yrs old and finally I just showed him the “ugly” side of life the kids who are homeless and less fortunate. We work in different community programs that help less fortunate people and he loves getting to help and is so appreciative of everything he has and gets.
My now 5yr old has never really shown the ungrateful side.

Also some people even as kids can just be buzzkills lol.
Just show him and teach him to be grateful. When all else fails take away things, he’ll get it fast them that he’s acting ungrateful and needs to change.

My kids are 4, almost 6 and almost 8 and have been ungrateful for as long as I can remember :woman_facepalming: they do have their moments where they are grateful though. When they act spoiled and bratty over something, we skip it. I feel bad doing it to my other kids if they’re not being ungrateful, but they know one rotten apple spoils it for everyone. They’ve learned a lot about gratitude from sitting in the house and not getting to do anything fun at all :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

He will still have fun regardless. Maybe it’s not the surprise he was expecting but I’m sure he will love it if he goes and gives it a chance. Also remind him that everyone does their best for him and it’s not very nice to not be grateful for such a wonderful gift.

1 Like

Lol my daughter who was 5 at the time …got surprised with tickets to an AMAZING cirque du soleil show … the entire time it was “ this sucks , this is stupid , I hate this , can we just go home already “ the tickets were from my grandmother who was in the hospital dying of cancer who didn’t have long to live and she knew that … she was still an ungrateful brat

1 Like

You teach gratitude by showing gratitude toward him and to other infront of him and you show excite to him about such gifts. Your son is 5 he is still learning. If animals are his thing that is his thing that does not mean he won’t like what you do he is expressing his opinion and has not yet learn the socially acceptable way to do so at 5 yrs old. If there are any thing like ADHD those skill will often be behind their peers 3-4 yrs. But honestly lead by example and show your excite “oh how exciting we get to go to see disney on Ice I wonder if we get to see , Name his favorite Disney character”. But your expecting a lot out of a 5 year old. You can not expect your son to be excited about something if your not excited frankly he may have not known what it was until you went one and two afterwards you should have talked about like wow that was so exciting my fave part was this what was your fave part in doing that you would have engaged his excitement. If your did that and it did not work some kids they struggle with understanding outside of their comfort and animals are what he is comfortable with.

2 Likes

Well I would explain to him not everyone gets to do the thing he does @ that young or even older ,so he’s lucky also not every child has the chance to do thing with parents siblings family members etc because things happen in life such has death etc

An explanation should do. Every chance you get to explain how much being grateful matters. My son was four and daughter five when they were gifted Pj masks show tickets. They were over the moon and super grateful. We started teaching young. Don’t get me wrong, they’re NOT perfect and we still continually take every chance we can to teach them about gratefulness :heart:

1 Like

The one that needs grateful is u the child is barely learning thank u you needed to agree with him and say oh let go see .

My son was 6.5 when we went to Disney world last year, he chose where to go on vacation (also was a late bday present), and all he did the whole time was throw a fit because he wanted to stay at the resort and watch the weather channel, like we could have done that shhh at home and saved ne 3 grand lbvs. Kids are kids. They’re never grateful until their adults, I swear

Like I get that its frustrating but he doesnt even know if he’ll like it or not. Hes hearing a phrase being said that hes probably never heard (Disney on ice) so hes assuming hes going to hate it because he doesn’t know what it is. You are being selfish. Incredibly so.

5 Likes

I guess I would start with saying please and thank you

2 Likes

I feel like your expecting adult emotions from a child.

11 Likes

Is Covid not an issue where you live?

2 Likes

Acknowledge that he has his own things that he likes, but even superman appreciated gifts , given to him, even if at first he didn’t see the benefits , after all the person giving , didn’t have to.

1 Like

But gave cos he cared about you.

Leave him with a babysitter next time. It will be the last time he will complain and miss an outing lol

I dealt with this by making a rule.

They “owe me 10” things they’re grateful for if they outright complain and 5 if they say “it would be better if…” type of things.

We kind of made it a game. I had to say it a lot for a couple months but it made a huge difference. There is rarely any complaining/ungrateful behavior in our house now but every once in a while we’ll have to call each other out and say “you owe me 5 (or 10)”

3 Likes

He is still very young let him know others are not as lucky as him he will get there with your support and guidance

Hes… 5? What 5 year olds do you know that are grateful for anything ever?

2 Likes

To me he was just expressing what he likes he is only 5. Kids have no filter. Also just because he didnt like it doesnt mean he is ungrateful. He doesnt have to like everything you do just like im sure you dont like everything your partner likes to do and vise versa. To me your acting a little petty by saying if he isnt going to like everything thats given to him and complain your not gonna plan things with him in mind. Thats not right everyone has their own preferences at all ages and what kids like and dont like change over time. I have a 10 year old. And ive done things for him that he doesnt like but other children would and he complained about it but i didnt think he was ungrateful just because he didnt like it i just knew not to do it again and then talked to him about what he would want to do next time. We as parents with the first child is trial and error. And if he didnt say thank you thats something you teach them at a young age. My son was saying please and thank you as the next words after mamma and bobba. To this day he still says it. You can compromise with a child just dont give them everything they want thats when they get ungrateful.

2 Likes

Dude I have teens. And they throw fits all the time about the forced family activities. They get told suck it up they will know the importance of those moments when they are older. But when they were younger I’d have the same issues you would have. It would even be something they really wanted to do but the second we were doing it they wanted to throw fits. Even then told them to try and have fun cuz mom was. It actually helped a lot. You could do the things of taking him to see the others in worse situations but that works better for teens that start showing this attitude more than 5 year olds would. You might try a kids group home. You could talk to your local social services agency to see if there’s something in the area like that.

He’s a 5 year old child :woman_facepalming:… do u not realize he’s only been in this world for 5 years and is still learning everything about life? I got a good hunch he learned it from you because of how u speak of him. Also maybe next time don’t say anything and keep it a surprise.

1 Like

Your 5 year old is being a 5 year old.
5 year olds don’t have a lot of “filters” yet, they say what they think and how they feel.
He’s not interested in Disney on Ice. Hed have rather gotten a ticket to the zoo. And that’s ok, for him to feel that way.

Here’s where the teachable moment comes it:

1. Do you think he’d end up enjoying it if he went? If you believe so then take him. It’s a great learning moment about not making assumptions about things you havent tried. That he ended up liking it after all that fuss.
  2. Talk to him. Let him know it’s ok that he’d have preferred the zoo, but when someone does something special for you you really need to appreciate the effort that goes into it even if you dont care for the gift itself. Try to give him examples he can relate to (even use clips from tv shows or movies he likes)
3 Likes

At that age he just wants what he thinks is fun. They don’t hide how they feel.
Mine was blatantly disappointed in getting clothes, and she’s usually very grateful for things. Greedy as ever, but grateful lol.

Just teach as he grows.

They’ll see as they grow and as you show them that things are better than they think.

Also, yeah, dont take him to things that he just won’t enjoy. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment and misery. You know him well enough to know what he likes or does not like. No point in trying to do anything new until he’s older and can grasp the meaning of new experiences.

1 Like

Gets worse with children like your son explain that he’s part of the family and should be thankful for the chance to have family time so many kids don’t he’s lucky to have you guys

Hes being a normal 5 year old boy. Children this age have no filter so I typically ignore half the random stuff they say and just let them be Kids

1 Like

So he’d rather have animals and you’d rather have the beach. Not trying to be ‘that person’ but u can’t hold a 5yo to standards that you don’t also set for yourself. Id have a big boy talk with him about being appreciative. Explain well this is where we have the opportunity to go rn so lets make the most of it and make good memories while we are there. Glass half full instead of half empty type talk.

2 Likes

Go without him aint that hard

These comments wow :flushed:
He is five. He wasn’t being ungrateful. He simply
Stated he likes surprises with animals. He is learning to express his likes and his dislikes. As someone who has gone to Disney on ice multiple times they’ve always got a variety of characters. It’s always a really cool show they put on. Explain to him while surprises with animals are great so are surprises with other things. That the show will have animals and he will
Have fun. Help him to understand that we can like more then one thing at a time and to always give things a try before you dismiss them. We as adults have a hard time remembering gratitude and acceptance. How can we expect our small children to do. Look on any post discussing the new stimulus checks to see plenty of examples of how truly ungrateful the American people are. Your attitude probably played a big part in his behavior

2 Likes

Little kids are like drunk people they dont think first they just speak. Just continually explain to him why its wrong to say it like that.

First of all you’re thinking with an adult mind. It’s very possible he was just letting you know that he also likes things with animals. And there’s nothing wrong with that. You acknowledge his contribution to the conversation and his interest and say maybe we could do that, I like that stuff also, let’s go watch this. You make sure to tell whoever purchased them, thank you. He doesn’t have an experienced adult mind so you can’t judge him accordingly

1 Like

At least he used his words. Hes 5 and a boy it may hurt feelings but if he wasnt rude about it then there shouldnt be an issue. If he was rude then as the parent you need to talk to him about what it was he said or did and direct him in the right path

I have 2 very spoild younger kids, I wish I didn’t do all I do for them, I’m now reaping my reward by being told nothing is going to be good enough, and that it doesn’t look like I tried :woozy_face:

I’ve seen a lot of people here saying it’s behavior seen. That’s not necessarily true.
I am someone that is truly grateful for anything some one takes the time to get me or make for me. Regardless of what it is.
Even with that my 5 year old can be the same ‘ungrateful’ and ‘entitled’. I’ve found that she’s spoiled. I’m proud I’m able to get her things she wants but that has not helped with appreciation.
So we now have a rule of no ‘presents/toys’ outside of Christmas and birthday. Since doing that, we’ve bought little things because of a very special event or a special note from school on how well she’s doing and it has been a dramatic change in how it’s recieved. That goes for grandparents too, make a reason they recieved the present.

2 Likes

At this age I’ve learnt that they mimick us. Whilst on the trip keep showing your gratitude when he’s having the most fun to remind him that someone made this possible and he should feel grateful. It eventually comes around. Kid’s not a little turd he’s just 5 lol. Take it easy and have fun at disney

1 Like

I always make my son tell me 3 things he’s grateful every time he says something ungrateful

Oh gosh , he’s 5 :joy::joy:. Don’t sweat the small stuff mom , he’ll move into another stage :joy:

1 Like

He doesn’t have to go then

Maybe Disney on ice isnt his thing. Little kids are emotional. Little kids are blunt and honest. You need to find a time to get in his level and explain why he is wrong for behaving that way and why he should be grateful for the gift. These lessons take time. But now you know he doesnt like something like that and ask your mom next to to just get the kids a gift. I personally would have hated getting something like that as the parent with my kids at that age. I would have preferred to been asked if my kids would enjoy something like that or if I would even want to deal with going and taking them.

1 Like