How can my daughter enjoy vacation while on her period?

She’s 13 and it’s her body, I feel like it should be her choice whether she wears tampons or not. They are much more sanitary and clean. I now use a period cup and I really like it though, I do wash/rinse mine out every time I empty it though. It’s not bad and much cleaner than pads. My 1st 2 days are normally very heavy (had 3 kids) and I empty it about every 4-6 hours but on a lighter day I can go 8-10 hours between emptying. I know you are mom but I feel like not letting her wear tampons is you making it weird, girls are already insecure about periods without a parent making it weird too. They don’t take your virginity or anything and if inserted correct cant even be felt. (Yes, I’ve heard of moms who didn’t let their daughters wear tampons because they said it would pop their cherry) :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

I like the cup i used to use disposable cups and loved them too but decided a reusable one was better for the environment :woman_shrugging: my daughter wanted to use tampons and i had no problem with that.

I think she will be ok, as long as she comfortable.gisls do it all the time.

They have period underwear or swimsuits on Amazon :slightly_smiling_face:

She is definitely not gonna want to put a cup inside her. Just show her how to wear a tampon it’s about her comfort not yours

12 Likes

It’s not about your comfort. It’s about your daughters.

9 Likes

You want her to skip tampons and go straight to menstrual cups? I’m grown and still haven’t mastered those. Let her choose what she wants.

12 Likes

U can get a prescription to stop it that month especially if you and her don’t want the tampons. I would definitely go see the doc and ask options

Organic cotton tampons… Girl gotta learn sometime. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Why aren’t you comfortable with her using tampons? It’s her body, not yours.

6 Likes

Go to Dr’s they can give her pills to stop her period till after the holiday

Thinx period underwear!!! They make bathing suits too I’m sure

1 Like

You could look for the period swimwear

2 Likes

Why not teach her to insert a tampon ?She would also have to insert the cup.

3 Likes

I mean, it’s her body but the easiest way to solve this is to put her on birth control now and then have her skip the last week of pills (the sugar pills) and just start the next month of birth control pills so that she won’t have her period.

1 Like

Girl bye yall want her to pass a tampon and go straight to a cup ?? Clearly yall not logical

9 Likes

You’re not ok with tampons but we’re considering a menstrual cup? They make super tampons and they’re quite easy to use I don’t have heavy periods also a lot times wearing a pads makes you think you’re periods are heavier than they really are. I say give the tampons a try and just change every two hours and she won’t have to miss out on the fun.

It’s not about what you feel comfortable with, her body her decisions

6 Likes

Wow imagine deciding what your daughter is allowed to use on her period yikes

14 Likes

You have to actually stick the cup thing in her vagina don’t you? Wouldn’t that be worse than a tampon? They also make period panties for children with disabilities, but not sure if they can get wet while wearing them…. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Um let her wear tampons?

2 Likes

The cup will make her feel even more uncomfortable honestly

2 Likes

Idk why yall responding to her on here she wont see any of it…it says to respond on the forum they listed…guess nobody can read or follow directions

How about asking your daughter what she wants to do? As others have said it’s her body her comfort should be more important… BTW I have a a 14 year old daughter aswell she would be mortified if I tried to tell her to do something because it would make ME feel more comfortable… if u must do something then speak with a Dr if she is comfortable to do so.

Organic tampons are the way to go, they don’t stab you how regular ones do

3 Likes

If she is comfortable trying out tampons then you need to let her, it is her body and deserves to start finding what fits her best for her period

What is the difference in let me just be ignorant. Why are you uncomfortable with a tampon but okay with a cup

I would definitely recommend a tampon over a cup. Get the light ones and if you can find organic, even better. But please let the poor girl see her options and decide. She’s at the age where it should be her body and her choice and if making you a little uncomfortable makes her more comfortable, I think you should lighten up mamma. (100% dependant on the situation) Tampons and such are kind of necessary for period swimming and in my opinion, I wouldn’t feel secure in period undies around water.

13 Likes

I usually say tampons they have up to a heavy flow. and definitely period underwear they well so stains don’t go through in case.

You can get tablets from the doctors to stop her period and it will do no harm to her x

Period proof underwear and swimwear are a game changer now…wish they had them back even a few years ago for me

Your not comfortable with a tampon, but would consider being comfortable with her inserting a whole cup to catch the blood flow?:face_with_monocle: isn’t her comfort up for consideration? It’s her body, maybe she should be the one to discuss this with. :weary:

12 Likes

Tampax makes light tampons that are smaller if that is a concern…

Sounds like you could use some education when it comes to periods and all the “things” that come with it. Not allowing her to use tampons but using a cup is a big jump. Knowing how to insert those things can be tricky for some young women but once they learn the diva cup is a blessing to some. You keep on saying I can guarantee she won’t go for that. Did you sit down and have a conversation with her about it? Have you talked to a doctor? Since her periods are heavy already at such a young age that would not be a bad idea. My daughter was put on birth controll at age 15 because her periods were super heavy and she suffered from cramping. We have to stop thinking of BC pills just as that , they help women with so many issues including acne. I hope your daughter finds something that works for her.

This happened with my 12 year old who started on her bday while on vacation In Florida guess what she just didn’t go in the water :woman_shrugging:t4:. Hope for the best for her :pray:t4:.

It doesnt matter if you are comfortable with her wearing a tampon. Poor girl.

2 Likes

I am on continuous birth control and love it. If she doesn’t feel comfortable with that, I would recommend using super tampons so she won’t have to change as often

2 Likes

There’s bathing suits u can get period bathing suits

3 Likes

Her choice I’d say tampons…get her on birth control help with heavy periods.

1 Like

Advil, pads and tampons. It doesn’t matter what you want, it matters about what she wants and how comfortable she is. If she wants to swim, let her make that decision. Not that difficult and I literally don’t understand why yall need advice from strangers on how to parent your kid. :upside_down_face:

15 Likes

Period swimwear from thinks or get let her try mini tampons. I personally would ring both that way she has options. I would also let her try them out ahead of time. Ultimately her comfort is more important than yours.

There are period bathing suits you can order

Did I really just read this correctly! Wtf
It’s her body not you’re comfortable or not a girl has got to learn!!! And teach her to change them every time she uses the bathroom so you don’t have to worry so much. Smh. Or change your plans if you can’t allow her to be a normal teen girl. My mom never did this to me.

Super logical tht ur comfortable with her sticking a hole ass cup up there but not a tampon 🤦 Its her body not urs its not abt what ur comfortable with
Give her the options then Ask her what she would like to use help her figure out what option is best for HER not u.

Get some noretheristerone (not the actual spelling) that will delay it for the time u need it for.

U don’t have to be comfortable my grandma wasn’t but it is a known fact that you’d still be a virgin Bc every parent worries about it it won’t do nothing shes 13 let her wear one in the water n enjoy herself she can where pads or whatever after but it’s jus not ur vacation it’s hers too

7 Likes

Went wakeboarding on my period multiple times. Just wore a tampon and shorts over my bottoms. Problem solved

If she doesn’t keep a tampon in for more than 4 hours she will be fine. Just make sure she changes them regularly. That way she doesn’t miss out on the vaca then if you don’t want her wearing them afterwards then don’t.

The cup is worse then a damn tampon! Just teach her how to use a tampon. Thats literally her only option

3 Likes

Give her 800 ibuprofen twice a day on her first day to slow the flow thats what my daughter has to do every month the dr told her to do.it and it works

2 Likes

Why don’t you want your daughter to wear tampons? That’s up to your daughter if she wants to or not. But also that’s part of life you go thru vacations where you have your period the whole time. Ya it’s not fun but it’s life. If you really want her to have fun though maybe don’t plan so much water park things.

8 Likes

Whatever you do, dont do what my dad did when I got my first period. We were supposed to go to a water park for his birthday and I got my first period and he told me “you ruin everything” I wasnt allowed tampons.
Also it should be up to her as it is her body, no? Give her the choices and do the research yourself with her so you are both informed of things such as hygiene and toxic shock syndrome.

Ok hear me out on this one i was in your shoes with this the summer my 13 yr old first got hers (2 years ago) I was all about the nope not having it shes not wearing tampons shes too young. But then she sat out of our pool watching her brother and family get to splash around while not being able to enjoy herself too. God knows I wasn’t gonna have her in the pool free bleeding in it I felt awful! I really thought to myself am i gonna have her suffer every week she has it once a month in this summer heat or am i gonna suck it the f up and let her use the tampons. It took a lot to just say ok. Listen sitting in the bathroom teaching her how to put the tampon in was a little uncomfortable but at the end of the day I wanted her to be able to enjoy the same things we do in the summer. We as moms have got to stop following what we think society believes is acceptable for our kids! I buy my daughter the tampax brand sport lite flow. She only uses them when she goes swimming and the ones I get are really tiny. You will do as you feel comfortable with your child. You’ve got alot of options on here to choose from. Good luck and i hope whatever choice you make she is able to enjoy her vacation as well.

When I was her age, I was self conscious. I felt like tampons were freeing. I used them from my 2nd period.

Victoria secret pink makes period panties

1 Like

I would recommend tampons over menstrual cups. I have tried it all, sometimes the cup moves and its just gross. I tried the disposable ones, no luck there either. I would recommend starting her on birth control and that way she can start the pills a few days before the vacation. I don’t foresee anything else to avoid the situation, unfortunately. Good luck!

I used a cup before, there is some trial and error with them. I would not recommend for a young girl. A tampon is easy, and her best option. I would get her a variety pack. Tell her if they leak before 4 hours she needs a larger suze, but start with regular. If they seem dry when she pulls them out she will need a lighter choice.

ModiBodi Swimwear!!!

Please teach her correct way to use tampons and let her use them during activities. You don’t have to use them all the time but just when needed. My grandma was against them until after your married, so I did not swim during my period, I had to barrel race with a pad which is uncomfortable and embarrassing when your heavy flow and have an accident.

7 Likes

I lived with my stepmom & dad till I was 19 & never used a tampon till I moved out as my stepmom bought the women’s monthly supplies & wouldn’t let me. I hate pads with a passion they feel like diapers & they ruin your underwear if the leak. Tampons are way easier to put in correctly & much easier to change than a menstrual cup

Then let her wear tampons no different than cup geez

5 Likes

Birth control for heavy periods and they now have period panties. The panties look like a regular panty and no pads needed

I use the flex disc. I always hated tampons.

1 Like

Personally I was young when I first used a tampon due to the same reason just make sure she uses Small and help her it doesn’t affect anything or even consult with her pediatrician and see what they say just for your own comfort.

2 Likes

From my experience, you don’t bleed when you’re in the water. Bathtub, shower, pool, ocean, river, etc.

3 Likes

Use a tampon… just stop actin like this takes something way from her childhood… she is using what was created to do these things… :roll_eyes:

Kotex sell teen tampons. Not sure the difference but she should be able to use those. I didn’t use tampons until I was in my 30’s and I wish I’d used them sooner.

Yall really are some judgy people in this group. Rude for no fucking reason.

I use soft discs and LOVE them and they may be perfect for your daughter to wear during your vacation. They are not reusable; you switch them out throughout the day. The mess is minimal and they are super easy to use!!

I say tampons & black bathing suit bottoms. :woman_shrugging:t2: Or can do what the others mentioned, ask your dr for a prescription for hormones to delay the period.

How are YOU not comfortable with HER wearing tampons? Just my opinion thats selfish af. Smh

13 Likes

I was 13 when I started using tampons in the summer on vacation too

1 Like

Talk to her doctor…my daughter got her first period on our family vacation to VEGAS 4 pools and a hot tub the size of a pool at the venetian and she was stuck in pads… I too wasn’t ready for tampons… so fast forwards a few years and Mexico trip is planned… I added up days and sure enough her period was due… I talked to the gyn/on doc and they started her on the pill…they have a few options that stop the blood flow completely… speak with the doctor and then decide…

Just let her use a damn tampon this time and let her have fun. It’s so selfish to ruin your daughter’s vacation because YOU aren’t comfortable with it.

9 Likes

When I was younger and going on holiday I went to the Dr’s and he gave me a period pill or something along those lines which would stop my period whilst we were away.

You can get swimwear that has period protection in. You don’t need pad or tampon when wearing them

1 Like

Tampons are fine as long as you teach her how important it is to change them and not leave one in too long. That has saved some of my vacations in the past. And they don’t leak etc.

2 Likes

But wouldn’t tampons break the hyman…my daughter refuses to use them and sticking to pads. She’s 19. She’s in the pool after her period. Ask her how she feels about it dont cry over spilt milk…its her choice

1 Like

In Australia there is a company that make period swimwear. Not sure what you have over there but maybe worth a look.

1 Like

I’m sure you know they make teen pads, that fit their bodies better than adult pads, maybe they have something for periods more teen directed than tampons? Google may have an option for teen period undies, not sure if it’s a thing, but it could be.

Tampons sport ones and ibuprofen

Google period swimwear. Buy. Go. Be happy.

It seems like you’ve already answered all your questions.

Best suggestion is next time, schedule vacation around her period.

4 Likes

Get some period panties, they’re link proof. They sell them on Amazon.

They have a period swim suit , it is pricey …

These are worth a try! I would have her drink lots of water, go on walks and eat a bunch of fresh foods the week following up to vacation so her period isn’t as bad and the cramping will be minimal :slight_smile: also pack snackies and stuff for cramps just incase :rosette::blush:

If it’s that big of a deal the let her use tampons give her a choice over what she wants to use for her own body & there’s also swimwear. We have all had our periods on vacation one time or another. So this isn’t a first just google it and that’s it. Not hard.

15 Likes

Speak to your Dr. I use to get tablets to delay my period if I was going on holiday.

1 Like

I got my daughter northisterone from the doctor when we were going on holiday. It’s stops the period until you stop taking them x

I have worn tampons while swimming for years. Choose a good brand and correct level of protection for her flow. Educate her on changing them regularly. I use the Kotex U. They work well and are compact for carrying. They are very easy to use and the unopened package fits in the palm of your hand

7 Likes

I thought this page was for nails?

8 Likes

How in the hell is she being selfish by not feeling OK about it? First of all I had this same thought in preparation for my daughter and I don’t like the idea of her using tampons either. You’re putting something into your vagina for Christ’s sake! Also how the hell are you supposed to be sure they’re using it correctly because you cannot physically show them… not selfish for being concerned. Rude to say that. If you as a parent allow it thats up to you but we aren’t being selfish for not wanting our kids to

For heaven’s sake she is 13 and gets her monthlys she needs to learn how to use them and as a mother that is your responsibility. Don’t be immature. What is she going to do from here on when she wants to go swimming with her friends… Oh no sorry I can’t got my period and my mum says no, yikes. HER body HER choice if she wants to use tampons so she can go swimming OMG.

I would highly recommend organic tampons.

1 Like

My 13 year old wears tampons to swim, or other water activities…
Let her choose.

6 Likes

What’s the difference between tampons and the diva cup? If she is comfortable let her choose.

10 Likes

U by Kotex is amazing. I know you don’t like tampons but it would just be for the vacation… they have regular, super, super + … if she has really heavy periods I’d go with super +. Get midol for sure!

I also just switched to the cup and I can go up to 10-12 hrs without changing it and no leaks. So yes you have to rinse it out before putting it back in. I would NOT suggest getting the cup for the vacation, only because she would be inexperienced with it and probably really frustrate her.

If you still don’t want to do tampons I really don’t know what else you could possibly do. You can’t wear pads into water…

You said your not comfortable with her wearing tampons but mention mini ones, which to me sounds like you were thinking of those. There is no difference and honestly ask her how she feels about tampons, you might not be okay with her wearing them but she might be. It’s really not your call to say what your daughter will be comfortable with or not.

just let her use god damn tampons :roll_eyes:

12 Likes