How do I approach my son about what I found on his phone?

We have the Life360 app on our phones. I know where my children are at all times and they know where I am.

3 Likes

You’re supposed to go thru his phone… he’s a child

3 Likes

Uh, you are the parent and he is still the child! I would confront, and be honest, and IMO the phone is now yours indefinitely!! Trust is major, and when it’s broken it is the person who broke it to build it back up! And that could take as long as he chooses!!

Why wouldn’t you want him to know? He is 15! He is your child not some other adult. This kind of shows you allow him to walk all over you. You say something to him about it and that’s that. You have every right to go through his phone take it away ground him etc. if he has been lying then he should be grounded and have the phone taken away for awhile. Also There are trackers apps etc you can put onto the phone and your phone to see where he is at all times.

4 Likes

Who pays that phone bill? Yes he would know I checked his phone and that he has been lying. There would be a discussion about that and a mutually determined consequence. And trust would have to be earned back

2 Likes

Be honest. Obviously he gets lying from somewhere lmao

3 Likes

Life 360 and be done you can see his location at all times :woman_shrugging:t2: my daughter knows she has it and I check her phone

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you tell him you went through his phone? As a parent that is your right. 15 years old is still a child. A man child but still a child. If you’re not honest with him then how will he be honest with you?

3 Likes

I am sorry who is the parent here,

1 Like

I would make the requirement that if he wants to have a phone that you pay for, he has to keep the find your phone connected to yours. That way you know where he is, and you don’t need to look through his phone.

3 Likes

Catch him in the act. Follow him sometime and bust him. I’m a firm believer they do not need to know how you know things. It will just make them sneaker next time.

11 Likes

You have the right to go through his phone he is still you’re child. Try sitting down and talking to him about what you found out. Explain how important it Is for him to be where he told you he would be because it’s a safety issue and if you dnt know where he is you can’t help if something goes wrong. Sonetimes a good sit down works. Also take away something he likes and let him know when he’s becomes more responible with going out then he can have it back or load him up on extra chores for a few weeks. Sometimes when you tighten the reins they just become more sneaker. Also put a tracker on the phone so you’ll know if he’s where he says he is

2 Likes

That’s the problem with parenting these days, he’s not your friend!! Of course you checked his phone he’s still a child. You take his phone and ground him. I am a teacher, and this over-privileged generation has to be disciplined for their own future success! Start parenting and stop pleasing. Children need boundaries and guidance. They need to be able to hold jobs and raise families in the future. All children will lie, but there needs to be consequences for their actions. Rant over…

20 Likes

My son is 17 and disabled life 360 but we do have access to check his phone at all times.

1 Like

I would catch him in the act , then put a tracking app on his phone.

you should put Life 360 on his phone it is good you can see where he’s at at all time put it on his phone and he’s not allowed to turn off his phone location… he is still a child so confront him until he’s paying the bills he has to be responsible

3 Likes

He already has a history of lying so banning him from a place he’s lying to you about anyway probably won’t make a difference. What kind of place is it ? is it a friends house? Is it something you really get upset about? Or is this something you can discuss and open the door of communication over? I do like the idea of catching him in the act this way he doesn’t have to know you betrayed his trust although that kind of makes you know better than him with lying…

4 Likes

Tighten reigns only tell him if someone is in need of help

2 Likes

If you pay for his phone - he is your child & lives under your roof & rules - you have every to view the contents on his phone on a regular basis to ensure internet safety etc.
Confront him with honesty. Be up front about your looking - and your plan to continue to look. Confront him with what you found. Be honest and give him a chance to do the same going forward.
He isn’t supposed to like you - so just remember that. When they dislike you the most, you’re doing your best! That’s my theory anyway. Kids hate rules but they also thrive with them :heart:

6 Likes

You are the mother. He is still a minor. You have every right to confront him. Confiscate his phone

4 Likes

Where did he go? A friend’s house across town? The creek? A crack house? Just curious as it could give a clue on why he’s going against the rules and help you work that part of it out too. Finding out WHY he’s going where you aren’t allowing him to go.

As long as you’re paying for him to live in your home and use those devices, they are yours to view as you please. BUT… with that said, you need to have a discussion with him and make it clear that you can and will request his phone at any time and he has 30 seconds (so he can’t delete things) to hand it over or he’s grounded. That’s the rule I have with my daughter. So far, she just cusses with her friends on there which is in our understanding that I won’t punish her for that. The only thing I’m looking for is something that could potentially hurt her or someone else.

4 Likes

Don’t let him know you went through it just adjust how you handle him from now on. Parents have to be slick when it comes to keeping our kids safe

5 Likes

So “if I pay the bill, it’s my phone”
So if you buy the food it’s yours, if you buy the clothes, the toilet paper, anything.

Waiting till your child is being cut open in surgery to go through their phone is alittle weird in my opinion. I’d be worried about if they were okay at the very second. Not worried about if they lied to me about if they when to Tom’s house instead of Jerry’s.

The kids gonna be pissed at you either way for going through his stuff, especially while he was literally being cut open.

7 Likes

I give my kids privacy with their phones until they make me suspicious for some reason. Then I go through and confront with what I find. They know that I pay for the phone, I’m the parent, it’s my job to make sure they’re behaving appropriately. Consequences delivered accordingly if needed.

7 Likes

I’am making over $145 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 19778 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs512.pages.dev/

Are you his mother? I’m sure u are paying that bill. Until he is grown n outta my house I will look thro my kids phone. I want to know mine are safe. I would talk to him n let him know. Maybe u need to start communicating with him. Stop trying to be his friend. U are not

1 Like

You should have downloaded an app to keep on your phone and his

Do not tell him you went thru his phone breaking trust is hard to earn back if ever .

Only way I go thru any phone is if they break a rule then consequence and then say well let me see your phone in front of them

4 Likes

Do you pay his cell phone bill? Does he live under your roof?? This is a silly question.

1 Like

I’m wondering where he went. Was he at a trap house? Rub and rub massage parlor?
Crack den?

5 Likes

I never went through my kids’ phones. Ever. if I asked them for it, they handed it over (I never asked). I knew their codes. I had to trust my kids till I had a reason not to. You said you didn’t know before that. I’m curious as to WHY you went through the phone?

3 Likes

There’s really not enough info. Is the place he’s going dangerous? Or is it that he just didn’t tell you?

4 Likes

So you plan to deceive your son when you confront him about the saving you. Makes sense. Stay off his phone.

2 Likes

Wow what shyt mom. Your son is literally being cut open and instead of being worried, you choose this time to break his trust and his privacy. Do you read his journal too? You just made him realize he can’t trust you with anything and he will start lying about everything. Good job :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

This is a FAFO situation. Stop being so nosy, stop being so strict. He will lie more and get sneakier

1 Like

Create a Life360 account and monitor his movements. It’s what I did when my daughter tried to pull this, ONCE. On top of she can’t go anywhere or have anyone over until I decide to ease up. This just happened this past week, so pray she makes it through this boring summer.

4 Likes

Life360 his ass for one.
And yes let him know exactly what you did. He’s 15. Lol. He doesn’t need to be lying.

This really depends on where he’s going and why you don’t want him there. You can tell him you’re putting Life 360 (there’s a free version) on all your phones so you can check where people in the family are if they don’t arrive somewhere when expected, that tracks your phone and you can open it anytime and see exactly where their phone is, and they can for you. Our whole house has it and it’s a good comfort to be able to check if my daughters just still at work late if she doesn’t show up home instead of worrying. My kids are fine with it as they don’t have anything to hide and always tell me where they’re going anyways, but that might be a good way to bring it to him so it’s not an accusing thing, it’s just a safety thing and about being able to know he’s safe if needed. Make it non negotiable.

1 Like

Don’t tell him, reign him in.

3 Likes

I have an app on my phone which tells me where my girls are (age 14 and 11) it’s called life 360. Not because I don’t trust them it’s because my daughters grandma who has a visitation court order refuses to tell me where she’s taking them. So I have peace of mind where they are when they are with her (she’s narcissistic and not to be trusted) but court put it through anyway :no_mouth:

Ummm I pay my sons phone bill, which means I go through it when I want. As a Parent these days, you HAVE to know what is going on. And if he is not being truthful then tighten up and let him deal with it. And also let him know you know. Im a strict parent until the age of 18 and they are paying their own bills. That way I can look back and say I kept them safe the best way I know how. No regrets. Do what you need to do momma

10 Likes

You had every right to PROTECT YOUR 15 YEAR OLD SON. It is not called snooping. You done your job. You not looking over his shoulder woulda been worse than this alleged ‘snooping’. Don’t tell him that you looked, just tighten up the reigns a little. If you admit that you looked through his phone he’ll only cover his tracks better next time which could lead to more problems. Maybe explain to him that you’re hearing about a lot of trouble in the streets and maybe exaggerate on that a little… then tighten up a little… check his phone again in a month or 2 to see where he is at. I’m an old school Mama… Do what you gotta do to protect your baby :blue_heart:

5 Likes

I regularly go through my 11 and 12 year olds phones. And a lot more parents should.

1 Like

Can he go through you’re phone?

3 Likes

I pay my kids phone bills, so I will pick them up and go through them anytime I want to. That’s been a rule in our house since they got a phone. We are the parents so we give them the illusion of privacy, but it’s still our jobs to know what’s going on. 

8 Likes

You should have set clear boundaries at the beginning of giving him his cell phone. You are sneaking and you are surprised he’s sneaking? Healthy boundaries are okay but they need to be set. Most parents don’t realize that the reason their kids aren’t honest with them is because of their reactions. When your son gets out of surgery and is off the medication, you need to be honest with him and tell him you effffed up by going through his phone without him being present. You need to tell him you are sorry for invading his privacy, but you also need to work with him on setting healthy boundaries and start using things like Life360 since he can’t be honest with you. It seems to be a trend here and you can break the cycle, but it’s going to take effort and work on both parts.

3 Likes

I do phone checks so I’m not taken by surprise.

If you confront him, hell never trust you again

Don’t worry about what others think! You are his mom and he is only 15. Tell him you went through his phone and will be limiting where he goes. Show him you care. You are not his friend, you are his parent.

11 Likes

Leslie Leslie P. McMillan i agree. Let him grow. Remember when you were that age. Keep the comm line open. If you snoop be prepared for what you find

1 Like

No. We all lied to our parents growing up. Life lessons. Let it go.

Oh I’m all about watching my kids phone activity. Keeps them safe as well as everyone else.

2 Likes

Your worried about that??? What kind of a mother do you want to be? A friend or a mom. Pick one. Your son needs you to keep him safe , I don’t care how old he is. You are the mom. If you want to go through his phone, you will at anytime you please. Be a parent please, stop trying to be their friend

5 Likes

He is 15 unless he pays the bill it is your phone, he needs to know you know or he will continue to lie to you. This way he knows you are on guard.

3 Likes

You pay for it, he’s underage, he’s lying to you. My gma would’ve took my phone and grounded me, but do let him know that you just care about his safety. If something were to happen to him how can you help when he said he was at so & so, with whoever but really… he wasn’t. Really drill in how crazy the world is, all sorts of people go missing and murdered

I do phone, computer and iPad checks regularly. There’s nothing wrong with it because you are the parent. I’d confront him. When I do mine my kids are right in front of me and they never know when I’m gonna say hand it over. My 10 year old thought he was slick and made encrypted files because he knows I know nothing but my boyfriend does and found it. People think we’re invading their privacy but we’re actually protecting them

3 Likes

Show up where ever he is
Let him see you but don’t confront him when he gets home go to the kitchen and make both of you a tea or soda and ask him what’s up get him talking

4 Likes

Do 360 and you will be able to tell where he is at all times.

1 Like

Look talk to him a safety first and wats going on in this world u don’t want him to become a victim of these streets

1 Like

You are the parent he’s gonna be mad regardless YOU KNOW IN UR HEART WHAT TO DO… once he’s of age and moved out ur no longer responsible for his actions SPEAKING UP NOW COULD SAVE HIS LIFE MUCH LOVE PRAYERS AND BLESSINGS

1 Like

Share his Google location with yourself. Then give him a good talk about honesty and start from there. This world to crazy for them to be lying.5

Becareful. I felt how others here feel. I paid the bill, I’m the parent, it’s my right to see what he’s doing. Then he created accounts I didn’t have the passwords to. I watched a conservation between him & friends saying he made a new account because I “Snoop”. He still denies it as an adult. So yes don’t let him know you’re looking at his phone. You can put a tracking app on his phone. He’ll know that though & leave his phone where he’s supposed to be while going other places. Teens are hard.