How do I get my mother in law to respect me?

Its her grandchild, she’s going to want to take a role in helping with, and comforting the child. It’s nature. She probably thinks she’s helping you out.

3 Likes

You should tell her how you feel. That’s not ok.

1 Like

That’s your kid. You’re the mom. Say something. No one would be taking my baby when she is crying.

3 Likes

Seems to me your being petty. You should appreciate that she loves and cares for your son.

13 Likes

Say no am his mom give me a second please and if couse shit say then guess I won’t see him then

What did your husband say to her? You’re entitled to say your peace in a respectful manner. " I know your first instinct is to help and I so appreciate that, you’re a wonderful, caring mother but, I’ve got this."

4 Likes

Don’t let the child go when she reaches for him. Pop her hand lol

5 Likes

Tell her no?! It’s your baby and your husband should stick up for you because YOU are his wife, his mother is his mother.

1 Like

Or when she tries to reach for the baby walk away from. Here and tell her straight up I am the babies mama and I got this you can have your time when im DONE

1 Like

Speak up for yourself. Your the mom not her, she’s the grandma.
She has no right to just grab

3 Likes

SPEAK UP!!! YOU are the MOTHER of the baby. She has no boundaries because you haven’t set them. Do not beat around the bush. Tell her exactly how you feel or she will not know. Now after you tell her and she continues, she has no respect for you and you should act accordingly your MIL or not.

2 Likes

Set clear boundaries now bc this is only going to get worse.

1 Like

Speak up, next.time say hey I’m the mother, and was comforting MY CHILD, give him back. If that doesn’t work grab your child. Your shit and leave. She needs to respect boundaries.

Turn around and take him back :woman_shrugging:t2: “when you want to use your words and ask nicely, then you can hold MY child”

2 Likes

Speak up. Demand respect.

Literally tell her no or smack her hand when she reaches for him. Lol that is YOUR child. If my mil tried doing that I wouldn’t be afraid to say something. Put your foot down. Be an asshole.

take the kid away from her and tell her you will take care of and raise your own kids… You see what a good job you did raising the husband.

She’s probably acting on auto-pilot. It’s what mother’s instinctively do. Just hold tighter, smile and say “later please”.

3 Likes

Voice your concerns with her that’s the only way she will know how you feel about it

Life is so very short.and grandma has even less time left.yes she is rude.id try to have a gentle talk with her about it but then I’d let it go. No ones being hurt.she loves that baby .she misses her own kids being baby’s.id try hard to just let it go and let her feel needed.she won’t be around for ever.

Hell no! Turn away from her and tell her you are his mother and can handle it!

3 Likes

I agree with above speak up your the mom

Its easy and I’m so sick of moms acting like they must make others happy and comfortable.
Tell her no I got this and don’t let her take the baby. Its that simple.
My child my rules. If I need help I’ll ask

3 Likes

For sure speak up. My ex’s mom use to do that to me all the time and I’d get just as frustrated too… like how am I gunna learn how to calm my child if you’re always jumping in between?
Anyways, hope the talk goes good. Maybe talk to your partner as well so you both can approach together

1 Like

Talk with your husband and tell him he has to fix this behavior displayed by his mother. When it comes from them(the husbands) its respected by you and her.

I would just state nicely, “I would rather you ask when you want to hold him than just grab him from me.”

Young one she’s probably in Momma mode that’s all. Next time simply say “I got this Mom- just give me a minute and he’ll be ready for you.” If she says anything- just tell her - “we(your son and you) got our way of handling these things” - either slightly turn or just get up and go to bathroom (when he bumps his head or falls down). Remember sweetie she is a Grandma- and your Elder - :yum:- sometimes it just takes time - also remember not to become defensive (in your head) - young one know it takes a village to raise a child.

2 Likes

I let my mother in law do this even though my baby was upset and I wanted to snuggle him better my kids had a very good relationship with grandma because of this I respect that if it were not for here I wouldn’t have my husband or my babies her grand babies she raised many children just fine and deserves to baby her grand babies even though as a mom you feel reluctant to let people parent or help it takes a villages as moms we aren’t always right and we aren’t always needed :slightly_smiling_face:my son has such a strong bong with grandma because I allow this, she can get my son to eat when no one else can! She can get him to go to bed with out a fight comfort him in two second where if it was just me it’s just me trying to care for him …. See where this is important now don’t get me wrong their are times it’s hard to bite your tung but it’s important to allow family to help I hated it when they were little but now I’m so great Full i bite my tong :raised_hands:t2::ok_hand:t2: grandma is the secret key to getting my kids to listen lol but they always have so much love and excitement when they see her because of this bond :raised_hands:t2: it’s hard but important for family dynamics

2 Likes

I would let her know that’s your his mother and she need to show you some respect

My mother in law was like this until I said something. So speak up or it will never stop.

You snatch my baby out of my arms and I’m liable to bite you, I don’t care who you are. :unamused:

What you allow will continue

I would have taken him back and say “it’s ok, I can handle this.”

See her coming for him…FLEE! :laughing:
Seriously though, just say something to her. Ya don’t have to be mean about it right off the bat, but be firm so she gets the point.

talk to her. tell her how you feel. let her know that you will ban her from coming over to see the baby if the behavior continues.

I would say “oh absolutely the FCK NOT” and take my baby back. Bye btch.

Put her in her place an say “hey I got this! I’m his mom”

You need to say something to her and be very firm about it!

Hold your ground when she does that tell her it’s ok I got it. Do it in a nice way. If you let her overstep now it will only get worse.

1 Like

Speak up or nothing will change

5 Likes

Tell your husband either he talks to her and fix the situation or you will!! That would make me livid!!!

3 Likes

When she comes near you, simply turn your back to her and say “I appreciate the concern, but I got it”. And walk your baby to another room to administer comfort.

10 Likes

Agree 100% with Tia Lane.

Wow young mothers who know it all

3 Likes

The petty part of me says to just start snatching things out of her hands in passing. The more logical part of me says it’s time to have a talk. Something as simple as “please ask me before you take (child) from me” or, if you’re the bolder sort, start telling her no and moving away when she goes to grab. I used to HATE that, too. Fortunately my husband has no qualms when it comes to being frank with his parents, but I definitely feel your pain.

8 Likes

Tell her straight up don’t just take my son, ask

1 Like

You should tell her no. Be straight up. If she don’t like it oh well she’ll get over it

1 Like

Got to stand up for yourself sweetie. She will continue this till you do.

1 Like

Sounds like you want control more than you want respect. Because if she asked, it wouldn’t bother you. Where as I’m sure your mother in law is thinking she is only being helpful…

8 Likes

Just hold on to him and don’t let her take him!!! SIMPLE

Sorry! I’d knock her on her @$$

Girl speak up that is absolutely not OK. Stand your ground for you and your child that is completely inappropriate behavior.

Let someone try to take my baby out of my arms. There would be no being nice about it. Why are you letting her take him? Like you have to be handing him over for her to take him?

Lol at the people trying so hard to make her sound like shes unreasonable for feeling the way she feels.
It’s great grandma wants too help however having boundaries doesn’t make her a bad person, grandma raised her kids already and needs to let this mama raise her child. I’m sure if she needed help she could say “hey can you take him for a minute” theres no need to get grabby. I mean isnt that what we teach children in the early years? You dont just take things you ask nicely.

4 Likes

Your the momma, ROAR :tiger:

2 Likes

Oh idk, grow a backbone and tell her to back off. She can pick the baby up when baby isn’t in your bubble.

Idk why grandma’s feel entitled to things. Smh. That’s YOUR child so if you feel disrespected then say something right when it happens otherwise it will continue to happen. You can say something without being mean or out of line. And if she takes offense then that’s on her not you. Good luckk

5 Likes

All these negative comments. It is rude to just grab/take stuff and or children from people without asking. If she’s comforting her child leave them alone. If she asks for help, great! Not ok what she’s doing

Nah, put her in her place. My exes mom tries to be like that and I finally told her that she handles it or I will. Nobody’s snatching my baby out of my hands. :triumph:

Just dont let her do that. Tell her you will give him to het when you are ready

I would have snapped

No thank you
I get so angry if someone comes and just grabs my son from me
My manners will go away when It comes to my baby

1 Like

Stand up for yourself your allowing the behaviour…as a mimi I dont care to listen to the crying (i have the kids 5 days a week) so at my home I do step in and if I can quieter him quickly I will! I raised 3 boys and have 1 at home (hes 9) still…I dont feel entitled but there is no need for a 3 yr old grandson to cry for 20 mins…so maybe talk to her

Well if you’re not setting your own boundaries then don’t expect her to set them for you

1 Like

Your husband needs to grow a pair and stand up to his mom, if it was me I would’ve told her I won’t be allowing any contact until she learns to respect my wishes

1 Like

I had to do this with my mil, it wasn’t my best moment I’ll admit I snapped at her. But I firmly said no! Give him to me. I got this. And walked upstairs with him lol and I love my mil lol :laughing:

Turn your back to her and tell her it would be wise not to try to rip your child out of your arms again :woman_shrugging:

Put your foot down. Dig in your heels. Use your power voice! You can do it. You don’t have to say nasty things. Just deeper your tone, and stay firm. This is YOUR baby, and you are not a helpless child! She needs to start treating you like an adult and mother.

Ask her how she’d feel if her mom and mother in law did that to her.

Oh boy you just gonna have to put her in her place damned if she just gonna walk up and take my child out my hands ain’t gonna have to wait for dad to say some cuz this mama about to lose her shit this my child I carried gave birth to and raising not her so nah she wouldn’t get away with that I’m so glad me and my MIL get along and when my babies was lil at her house and something happened I had her support ya she’s tried to play the mom roll but it’s all about asking for step backs and respect to let you learn how to be a mother and them be the grandmother you need to tell her how you feel about it and husband needs to stand beside you on it no matter if mom gets upset or not that’s y’all’s child

Mil: goes to take baby
Me: holds out one hand and says “ no thank you, I’ve got him.
Mil: tries to justify/proceeds with rejected course of action
Me: stands with baby and says “ I said no thank you, I’ve got it”

13 Likes

You can just tell her NO! I’m that mom that goes and grabs my baby from other people because they think they can hold him. When my son was 4-6 weeks old I would just go grab my baby it made a lot of people mad but idc cus I know my baby’s cries.

I would just say I’m the mother…STOP fucking grabbing MY baby…

Talk to her, tell her how you feel. Demand respect.

Tell your husband to put his big boy panties on and say something!!!

Tell her straight “don’t ever dare take my child out of my arms” you’ll get him when I give him to you. And walk away! With your child!

3 Likes

Don’t let her. Turn away and say something like, I’m holding my child right now. Or, I’ve got it. And walk away if necessary.

4 Likes

You have every right to put her into her place. Your husband should back you.

1 Like

As a Mother and Grandmother, I don’t see the problem. What happened to children being raised by a village? It takes a village to raise a healthy, happy child. If grandma wants to comfort the baby when she is visiting then let her. That bond is so important to nurture. Don’t make her feel bad for loving her grand babies, you will need her in the future.

7 Likes

Stand up for yourself and don’t allow her to take your child…

I’d just say I appreciate you wanting to help and wanting to love on the baby but if you could please ask before taking him from my arms I’d greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

She’s the grandma be thankful you’re child has a grandmother.

5 Likes

So stick up for yourself???

1 Like

When she walks toward you to get him, turn the other way and walk away… or as she gets close just say no

3 Likes

I stuck up for myself through tears and calmly said she made me feel not good enough by taking my child out of my arms and that I couldn’t do my job as a mother. She huffed and puffed and wouldn’t talk to me for a week. Lot of drama since that but eventually it calmed down and we’re okay now she does not try to step on my toes or anything.

Oh I’d gone off long ago and wouldn’t have let go of my child

1 Like

Anna Bowman - Holbrook my MIL knows better and respects me. If MY baby that I literally grew and crafted with my body was crying… I am comforting them. If MIL wants to jump in, ask!!! Don’t you dare DAREEEE try to take my baby from my hands cuz you will meet the end of my foot quicker than you can say hi.

Tell the nosey interfering woman to back off

3 Likes

And you have the right to take that baby home at any time. You have the right to say no when she asks to come visit. You have the right to say no to her. She does it because you don’t say no. Show her who has the say on who holds YOUR BABY. And if my beloved mother taught me anything respect is a 2 way street. Doesn’t matter who the hell you are. You don’t show respect right out of the gate you don’t get any in return

4 Likes

Why do you let her? Grow a backbone, raising children you’re going to need one. Might as well get one now! And by the way, in order to get respect you have to earn it and respect yourself too. You have 2 feet, stand on them.

3 Likes

It’s your baby, and she is rude, tell your husband if he doesn’t say something so she gets it, you will kick him in the nuts

Respect goes both ways. If she can’t respect you then she deserves no respect back. Stand up for yourself.

I don’t see the issue, but taking your baby while their crying is not cool at all, that will teach them to want her rather than you, but talk to her, tell her if you have your baby tell her to ASK before taking.

Stick up for yourself as well mommas
Also don’t take it to heart too much

I would put her in her place no matter who it upset

4 Likes

Have a 1 on 1 conversation

As she’s walking towards you to take your son tell her in a ferm voice NO back up I got this it’s my son. And then don’t let her take him.

7 Likes

I probably would have said “no, I got it” but then again my MIL doesn’t overstep.

My MIL doesn’t respect me or my man

You see it coming so turn around when she comes to take him and tell her to ask from here on out.

Talk to her. She may think she is helping

3 Likes