How do I get my mother in law to respect me?

Take him back out of her hands without saying anything :joy::raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

I must say us grandmas do get excited when we see our grandkids love mine to pieces so I’m not sure how long she’s been doing this and she may not even realise her behaviour , so to not make it uncomfortable get her son to talk to her , then hopefully you can maintain a good relationship honestly and hopefully she will then be a bit more courteous … it is hard not to love our grandchildren when we see them , they are not in our lives enough - always hugging mine when I see them but would not want to make my daughter-in-laws feel uncomfortable they are both the best mums like you probably are … xx

2 Likes

Yall are mean!! Why does everyone go from 0-100! Evidently she has not even tried to have an adult conversation with the mil. Maybe try that before going off. Dang chill. This is what is wrong with this Country now.

1 Like

You gotta put your foot down! You tell her and set your boundaries

Speak up. Damn her feelings.

Talk to her let her know how you feel. Just ask her if she can ask first before taking him as you are trying to teach him to putted arms out when he wants someone.

If she doesn’t listen then remind her. After a couple of times then straight up say ‘no I have him’.

Ur gonna have to say something I had a mother in law like that, I said something it was my son she had her own son so told her to stop

Boundaries – You need to set a boundary with her. If she crosses it, you need to be prepared to stand you ground and tell her what you think.

1 Like

tell her that if she continues to disrespect you and undermine you as a mother especially in your own home then you dont want her coming over. doesn’t matter where you are all at it’s very wrong and disturbing behavior from her and yell her that as well

2 Likes

You take him right back or don’t let her take him out of your arms at all… she is way out of line and not honoring your boundaries… do not let her treat you that way … and you will have to stand up for yourself because your husband should but won’t cause he doesn’t want to hurt her feelings. You are the MOM and she needs to honor that.

You have to put your foot down. Flat out tell her. Mom to mom. Would you like it if I just grabbed your babies from you when you were younger? Probably tf not.
If she makes it a bigger deal and still does it then MIL might need to have restricted visits from there on till she can learn.

when she goes to take him don’t let the baby go and look her in her eyes say I appreciate your help but right now I want to love on him/her. You can when I’m finished. I promise you will be the first one I give him/her to when I’m done.

Slap her hand each time she does it. Or turn around quickly so she can’t. She’ll get the picture real quick.

I was told this by a counselor stop the shit before it goes any further my x m.law was a massive bitch it took me along long time to speak up to her but it took counseling I cried lots but I finally got the nerve an got very pissed once I started I didn’t back down girl you may not feel rite but it time to get pissed I wish you all the luck in the world

2 Likes

Nobody’s ever told her no. In the nicest way possible - I would approach her and say “I know you care about (child) but I am his mother. It’s new to me and we’re working on it. I would like to be the one to soothe him. Please don’t take him away from me without asking first”

2 Likes

Have a private conversation with her and tell her how you feel about it. Let her know it needs to stop…if she wants to hold him she can ask and not take or grab. Otherwise she just will not be able to hold him as she wants at all. The longer you let her or anyone else do things you don’t like or are against your boundaries the harder it will be to stop. Put your foot down,you don’t have to be mean unless necessary.

1 Like

You have conditioned her to think that it is okay. Do not let her do that. It’s your child and you are in charge. Tell her "not right now’ when she reaches.

Definitely have a talk with her about it and let her know how feel. Your feelings matter too. I know your husband doesn’t want to upset her but it’s not fair you to feel that way or for her to just grab him from you. She may just be trying to help and doesn’t realize what’s she’s doing at the same time. She may just be wanting to feel needed I’ve had that issue before . I hope you work it out :heart:

1 Like

Next time don’t let her walk away or say no thank you and if she doesn’t respect that your husband needs to put his mom in place.

In the consoling situation I would have to turn away from her and tell her you can have him AFTER her calms down.

2 Likes

Communicate your boundary. It’s obvious that she is crossing it. How she takes the boundary is up to her. I would of course speak to your husband before you said anything to her.

My mother used to do this. Once I confronted her, she always thought that she was helping or giving me a break or calming him down for me. She thought it was a good thing and did not realize how offensive it was.You’ve let her think over and over that this is okay so she’s going to do it over and over until you stop it. Next time, very calmly tell her no. My kids are little but I would hate to have some of you as my daughter-in-law that comment on here. You can’t slap people and you can’t disown and yell and cuss at people over stuff like this. No wonder so many of you are divorced. I doubt this woman even realizes that she’s offending you. Sometimes you actually have to tell people for them to know and sometimes they don’t get it the first time you tell them. It doesn’t mean you keep grandparents away from children or you split up your family over it.

NO woman is EVER good enough for a Mama’s baby…no matter how perfect she is…she’s never good enough!!! Been in those shoes twice

My mother in law was the greatest there was she was like a mom to me I miss her dearly she passed at 5cancer I even took care of her and bathed her and what not best thing my father told me is to all ways be nice to the in-laws and they will be nice back6 of

Mother in law needs to be put in her place and kept away from your child

1 Like

You are both grown adults. Explain to her how you feel. If she doesn’t stop then you can be ugly about it. Js

Next time just say no and turn away

1 Like

Plain and simple just put a stop to it u can talk im a grandma and a greatgrandma and i dont do that i always ask

I know how you are feeling. You should say no. My biggest problem with this is your husband. Once you get married a husband and wife should always have each other’s back and stick up for each other. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the in-laws.He knows you’re upset and HE needs to be the one to put his foot down with mother and say “Hey, you’re upsetting my wife. Please before taking the baby. And you don’t you can’t hold him.” Your husband needs to 100% be on your side. You are his immediate family now. Everyone else is extended family.

Open your mouth and say something to her.

Shift away and say “I’ve got him, thank you.” It’s up to you to change the interaction.

1 Like

Don’t hand him over. Say “no, I got it handled”.

Time to stand up and demand respect in a firm but kind way

“Someone loves my child, how do I be an unnecessary beech to her” there I made your nonsense shorter.

1 Like

Tell her how you you feel. If it makes her mad oh well, she has the same clothes to get glad in.

Unblock your throat Chakra :slight_smile:

Thank you ma for your genuine prayers . This is really incredible, and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. Before i met you Ma,i have tried every all possibly means that i could to get my husband back, but i actually came to realize that nothing was working out for me, and that my husband had developed lot of hatred for me… I thought there was no hope to reunite with my ex husband and kids. But when i read good reviews about your work ma, i decided to give it a try and i did everything that you instructed me and i Trusted in you and followed your instructions just as you have guaranteed me in 48 hours, and that was exactly when my husband called me… We are more contented now than ever. Everything looks perfect and so natural! Thank you so much for your authentic and indisputable prayer . Thanks Dr bathsheba for your help. If you need help in your marriage or broken relationship,please contact Dr Mela right now for urgent help : Email: priestbathshebahelp@gmail. Com
WhatsApp phone number +447823705502

She knows very well what she is doing.

First you need to get your husband on the same page. Then schedule a sit down for all 3 of you and let her know how you feel in A respectful way. If she is ugly and you stay calm and respectful your husband will see that and SHOULD back you up. Assure you want her in the babies life but that NEITHER OF YOU will put up with disrespect.
There is value in having a cohesive extended family and unfortunately someone has to be the mature adult.