How do I let my mother-in-law know I do not want her in the room with me?

Tell her she can be the first family member to hold the baby but the room is limited to you and partner/birthing partner and while you love her enthusiasm to be a part of it, it’s very exposing and will make you uncomfortable her being there watching it.

3 Likes

Ask the nurses to tell her only one person in the delivery room ( your husband)

5 Likes

Say COVID protocols are still pretty tight, one support person only :person_shrugging: sorry

3 Likes

Be honest to her but in a way that makes it about you not her. Eg. Tell her that you only wanted such and such in the room because you are comfortable with them and any extra will be too much for you/have you feel uncomfortable.

1 Like

I just said no, I want the privacy, it was mine and husbands special time and didn’t want anyone else in the room, she should understand, if not then that’s your fault

Hard no. Mine threw a fit. Not my problem. It’s too much of a stressful time to have someone stressful in the room. She still cries about it and I couldn’t care less.

2 Likes

Just say no you only want ur partner she should understand and respect that

2 Likes

Just be honest with her, she can’t expect it to go her way as it isn’t about her, tell her she’s more than welcome to visit when baby born but you just want a bit of privacy

Not sure how things are working now when I had my baby in October only dad was allowed so just tell her that lol… Also no visitors from what I remember I would call your local hospital and check hope this helps

No is a complete sentence

1 Like

I told my hubby, get her the fuck out of here. She was minding my nearly 2yo at the time.

1 Like

Why would a mil want to be in there with you unless you were super close but i would choose my own mother over a mil…is she being demanding and i hope your hubby isn’t expecting her to be in there too
You can choose whoever you want
Its very weird anyways why a mil would want to watch a dil push out a baby thats what utube is for…
Just say sorry but no i only want my hubby in the room im not comfortable having anyone else in there
Simple answer …if she continues to be demanding then avoid her and dont tell her you are in labor till you get to the hospital…and you tell the nurses only your hubby is allowed in the room

3 Likes

I had this exact problem. I told my mother in law that it was my decision and if she didn’t like it too bad. 10 minutes after my twins were born she told my husband (her son) that he was going to be a horrible father because he wouldn’t stand up to me…

5 Likes

why do the same questions keep popping up

If it’s your first child just use the excuse that you want your first child to be a special thing between you and the father.

1 Like

no way, lol so i can only comment if it has a answer to question

Perhaps she will surprise you and be a help to you when you deliver.perhaps it will be a chance to bond with her mother to mother. Everybody seems to have a negative attitude to your question but I see a positive here a chance for you to become closer after all she has given you the best gift she has her son. And to be honest when your in the throws of birth you won’t care if the world and his wife are with you believe me. Have a word with the midwife and tell her if the MIL becomes a problem to you to put her out of the delivery room . You never know this could be a chance for you both to bond better.

4 Likes

I understd where shes coming from but its different cause shes your MIL not your own mum

2 Likes

Simply one is allowed,and my s.o will be there

It might be better coming from her son but if he is not willing to back you up in this you may need to hurt her feelings. Just tell her you appreciate the offer of her help but you need time and space to get used to being a mum. You both need rest and plenty of time to bond. Of course she will be involved but at the grandma level.

2 Likes

I watched all, my grandchildren being born I was not right down there but I was in the room and I am my mother-in-law

If no one has the spine, you can always ask your docs and nurses to back you up when you tell her only one other person is allowed in the delivery room because of safety & space. This is believable in an era of COVID. If she counters that __name__was allowed on in, tell her different docs have different policies but yours is firm on this.

4 Likes

If it’s something you don’t want then it’s your body and your choice.
Nobody can judge you for what you want, it’s not as if she won’t get to meet the baby after! Xx

1 Like

Tell her ur only allowed (however many people u want). Drs orders🤣

1 Like

Dont budge on your decision is all I can say. I had way too many people in the room with me and regret it. It’s YOUR comfort and memories that remain with you. She’s already got to have her child her way. All the luck to you, don’t people please and congratulations!

5 Likes

Have the doctor tell her for you that way it takes the pressure off of you. Many things can go wrong if you’re not comfortable and relaxed while giving birth. It may cause some hard feelings but once it’s done it’s done. Congratulations.

1 Like

I don’t understand how people can just assume they’ll be in your L&D room… That’s a VERY private, VERY personal time for the woman pushing a human body out of her vagina. Just say no. It’s truly that simple. If she gets mad, that’s insane, insensitive, and selfish. She can see her grandbaby right after they’re born.

The only person I wanted with me for the birth of my children besides medical people was my husband. This isn’t a “performance”, it’s a labor and delivery. Stick to your guns, honey. Besides with covid still ongoing you may only be allowed 1 birthing partner. Your mil has a lot of nerve. Draw a line in the sand now!!!

4 Likes

Create these boundaries now, otherwise you’re in for more issues after the baby is born. :heart:

8 Likes

I think due to hospital restrictions of covid laws…only the father (or at least one person) is allowed in the room with you…my fiance just had surgery a few weeks ago …i wasn’t even allowed to go into the hospital with him…dropped him off outside and came back and had to wait outside to pick him up. So you may get lucky and the hospital may not even allow her to be in there with you.

Just tell her… be nice about it but let her know for your comfort and safety you’re only allowing ( fill in the blank) to be in the room with you.

1 Like

Be up front my daughter in law felt the same so I respected her wishes… course I felt hurt but I understand I am not her mother…

3 Likes

I’d let your husband handle it. If he won’t, definitely tell the nurses. They’ll keep control of the room for you and respect your wishes. And they can do it in a way where you don’t seem like “the bad guy”.

6 Likes

There is no way to be nice about it! Just tell her

1 Like

Be a grown up and tell her.

2 Likes

Her asking that is very intrusive. Tell her you don’t feel comfortable with that. This is your day not hers. She can wait in the wings like we all did.

3 Likes

Cant think why she’d want to be there tbh. Just tell her no. As a woman who has given birth herself she should understand its not a spectator sport

2 Likes

I didn’t let her. Period. Only me and my husband. It’s your decision. No one else’s. It’s YOUR DAY.

1 Like

no is a complete sentence.
or blame covid restrictions. being grandparent is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.

5 Likes

Be up front and honest. Express to her that you would feel more comfortable with just your husband in the room during the birth. She can see the baby after you deliver and are ready for visitors. Or just say that hospital regulations state that only one support person is allowed in the room during delivery. This is your special moment. It’s important to establish boundaries. Best of luck to you! :heart:

3 Likes

Be honest and just tell her

1 Like

That’s your choice. Don’t let her in if you don’t want to! Put your foot down and you don’t have to explain anything to her!

2 Likes

My wife was flirting with another man. until she vanished away, I was desperate to get her back, I wasted so much time and money trying to get my wife back, I tried almost all possibilities to have her back and nothing worked. I became lonely. To make it short, I found a spell caster, called Warlock spells temple I saw the good testimonies about his wonderful work and after reading the Testimonials, I decided I had to try and give it one last try and After the spells, a miracle happened, my wife came home. It was awesome, anyone who needs help, should contact Warlock spells temple on WhatsApp+19713760578 on his Facebook page
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

https://www.facebook.com/Warlock-spell-temple-103728702317383/☝️☝️☝️

Tell her the hospital only allows one person which would be your husband. She can meet baby when you get home.

7 Likes

Plain and simple. Tell her no. I didn’t want my mil in there and made it clear. I also wanted no visitors the first day. She respected my wishes though I’m sure it hurt. Honestly 4 years later I wish she would’ve been there instead of my husband. He was useless

1 Like

Unless they’ve changed the rules implemented since COVID, only one person is allowed to be at the hospital ( the entire time you’re there) and if they leave for any reason they cannot come back. That’s how it was due to COVID when my granddaughter was born almost two years ago and this post January when my grandson was born. Different daughters giving birth, two different states.

1 Like

She can come in an hour or two after the birth. Just so YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND can have a little one on one time with YOUR new baby. I wasn’t there for the birth of my granddaughter. My husband was just getting there as she was born, stepsons mom and soon to be mother in law were all at the hospital not in the room during the process just stepson. Me and soon to be daughter in law were not in a good spot at that time because I was telling her leave stepson alone since he broke up with her 2 months into her pregnancy and just wanted space and he wasn’t ready he was 16 when they started dating she was 23. They have been back together for 3 years (since granddaughter was born) they were together a year and she got pregnant. SS is 21 and she is 28 now they are getting married in September. *I apologized for how I was acting because I want the relationship between stepson and I to always be like it has which is a great one and granddaughter, future daughter in law and I to have a great relationship too. I took it upon myself to open up a new savings and bank account for her for the future. I’m 34 btw, granddaughter was born 8 days before I turned 31 my husband and stepson’s mom are both 40 and future daughter in laws mom is mid/late 50s stepson’s stepdad is in his mid 60s. He was in the waiting room as well.

Tell your husband to take care of it.

2 Likes

I think it would be a really good idea for her to be there. It’s a precious time for her too and would probably help you all to bond better
It’s her grandchild too

4 Likes

That should be your husbands responsibility. It’s his mom, not yours. People think they’re so entitled to things. It’s all about you and how you feel that day especially.

9 Likes

Hospital has restrictions on how many gust say you just want your man

2 Likes

You can tell your nurses and they can tell her. Or just simply say no I only want my husband in there with me

2 Likes

Honestly I’d recommend checking with the hospital your delivering at - most locations only allow 1 person in the room with you.

I had an audience with my first :rofl: my inlaw, my momma, my sister, my hubby, and my brother-in-law lol it didn’t mind having everyone there, but everyone is different and you need to do what your comfortable with.

I’d just ask her to go for lunch one day, and tell her that your not comfortable with her being in the room during delivery, but she’s more then welcome to come after or yous can video call :blush:

In Canada we are now only allowed to have 1 person in the delivery room with us. Not sure where you are tho!

Tell your husband… make him Tell her.

4 Likes

Say to be honest, I’ve been struggling with telling you this but giving birth is very private to me and I would rather not have anyone other than my husband with me. Or whoever.

6 Likes

It’s not a spectator sport.

2 Likes

Just be honest and kindly tell her ,No. Like others have stated, probazbly the hosp. won’t allow anyone in with you anyway because of Covid! I had 4 children but my mother-in-law never even asked me so that was not an issue, but I would have said , No, anyway as I was a shy, person and was embarraassed enough with just my husband present!

1 Like

Tell the nurses and your doctor, they’ll chase everyone out.

3 Likes

Be honest with your husband and let him know you don’t want her there then you both explain that it is a very personal moment that you want to yourselves with baby. She can see baby once you are home and comfortable with having company.

You have a right to say your not comfortable with her being there at that time.shell just havw to deal with it,she isnt the priority,thats you and baby.learn now to stand up for your child when it comes to her or shell probably try putting herself in a lot of places you dont want her in that kids life,set boundries

COVID only allows 1 person

I wouldn’t want my MIL in the room with me either even if I felt comfortable around her! I would ask her son to talk with her and let her know that it is a moment for just the two of you or if he won’t then you can gently tell her. I was fortunate enough to have my daughter and SIL let me be in the room when two of my grandkids arrived. With my daughter in laws it was different and I understood so I waited in the waiting room and was one of the first to be able to go in to meet my grandchildren shortly after they arrived. I would suggest you tell her she can wait in the waiting room and come in shortly after the baby’s arrival. I am surprised with covid that they are actually letting more than the baby’s father be there in the first place.

3 Likes

Tell her. My dil did and I was fine

1 Like

Just explain that being your first child and not knowing how you are going to go you would just like you and your partner there to share in this once in a lifetime event for you. That you are excited to share your little ones arrival with her once they arrive but with everything going on in the world you just feel just the two of you is what is best for a calm and welcoming environment for you to become a family. If she doesnt understand that and cant put her own needs above those of her grandchild and the parents of her grandchild then tell her to stick it lol

Make her feel bad. Fu"k it.

My mother in law was the absolute best person in the room with me!! She bent over backwards for my comfort !!:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Just identify how it makes you feel and say no.

1 Like

Don’t let her know that you are in labor when the time comes. Tell her everything was fast and emotional. She will be so consumed with her first grandchild when it arrives she won’t have time to get upset.

2 Likes

Just tell her straight up, Im not comfortable with you being in the room while Im all exposed. Tell her she can wait outside of the room. You dont have to further explain why you dont want her in there and ur baby daddy should also be supportive of your decision.

3 Likes

I had my mother in law in the room with me for her first grandchild and it was a great experience! That’s sad you feel uncomfortable with her.

2 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobz302.netlify.app/

She had her time giving birth, you and your husband decided you would like it to be just the 2 of you sharing this experience. She can come in after. Simple and done.

6 Likes

Let her know how you feel about it .

Just tell her the truth you don’t want her in there when you are so exposed

My MIL did too. I just told her she wasn’t around when the baby was conceived so I just want my husband in with me. When then baby is born you’ll be the first grandparent to get to see the baby. No hard feelings or anything. Good luck.

1 Like

Theres a word " No " but you dont have to worry to much about it cause right now with all the covid bs going on they wont let her in anyway.

2 Likes

If you don’t feel comfortable she has to understand that I mean if she doesn’t that’s kinda wrong. If you feel that strongly it will prob ruin the experience for you. You have to say something and like other people mentioned w Covid they won’t let more than one person in there anyway

Was her mother in law in the room when she gave birth to your husband? :roll_eyes: I would just tell her the hospital rules are one person only, which is probably true anyway.

1 Like

Well I like my MIL and would let her and my mom in, we aren’t allowed anyone else in delivery except the dad due to Covid restrictions. If you aren’t comfortable telling her she makes you uncomfortable tell her that there’s restrictions. Lol

I don’t want you in the room with me…:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

“It will be a very intimate moment I would like to share alone with my spouse.”

4 Likes

I told my MIL that covid made it so only one person is allowed in the room and its gonna be dad :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I dont know where you are but here your only allowed two people.in the room tell her you want your mum and the father in the room. Its only right.

2 Likes

Im blessed
. My daughter n law allowed me to be in there of course I was respectful. I took the pictures n stood up by her side at top of bed. It was the best moment of my life. So I was there for both of my gbabies. N one was born on my Birthday even more special. Jst tell her how u feel she will understand…

1 Like

Just tell her. You get to decide who is in the room.

Just simply be honest/respectful with her about it. I’m about to have my first grandchild and my daughter has already selected the people she’s going to have in the room as we can only have 2 or 3. I’m not one of those nor am I throwing a fit about it. Plenty of time to spend time with baby when baby is here

3 Likes

Send flowers with a note

I felt the same way. And after it was all done it was her and my mother. They were the absolute best team… :heart: My husband passed out and some more :woozy_face: he wanted to be there so bad, but he just simply couldn’t handle seeing me in that kind of pain and knew it needed to be about me, not everyone pulling him up off of the floor :sweat_smile:

1 Like

. Just tell her. its ok to hurt ppls feelings once in awhile ya know lol

2 Likes

NO is a complete sentence.

You don’t have to explain anything. But if you absolutely have to “No, i don’t want you seeing me spread eagle, crapping on a table, with a human half way in my vagina.” Being blunt gets the point across.

1 Like

Tell them nurse said only your husband or only 1 or 2 people lol

3 Likes

Tell her only one person is allowed in the delivery room. Tell your doc thats how ya want it. My mother in law wanted to be there for my girls also. Said she never missed a grandkids birth. Well guess what she missed both of mine. My Grandma being there and my husband was way more important.

2 Likes

Sweetheart forget her feeling being that this is one of your biggest moments and all about you and the dad

1 Like

Have your husband tell her you guys want privacy. If she’s going to be unreasonable her son should take the brunt of that imo

2 Likes

Tell her no n when u go into labor tell the hospital staff no not let her in

There still may be “Covid” hospital restrictions to one person (spouse) anyway. Anyone who visit can either visit when you’re in recovery or once you get home.

1 Like

I understand, my MIL and I were not exactly positive either but I had actually decided I to invite her because I wanted to give her that experience. It was completely fine and super helpful. If my mom or husband couldn’t she was there and it bonded us. I will have her at every birth including this one. I’m having my third boy. Plus she was also able to witness the love my husband and I share for each other

1 Like

If you want to avoid confrontation all together then tell her covid only let’s 1 extra person and let the nurses know to tell her the same thing. If you want to go more direct just tell her you don’t want her in there. If she tries to argue just walk away but in the end when you go into labor you can let the nurses know who you want to be in and they will let who you want in and keep everybody else out

1 Like

You just explain that in those most intimate moments for your first time you want it a certain way that is special to you. She’ll understand. If not then oh well. You do what YOU’RE comfortable with when it comes to YOUR child…and that goes for everything down the line as well

Setting boundaries with people concerning your baby early on is REALLY important. So make sure you only do what feels right to you

2 Likes