How do I let my mother-in-law know I do not want her in the room with me?

Lie. Its okay once in awhile and the nurses would probably be willing to say only one is allowed. I love my MIL, and I’m too old for more babies but I wouldn’t want her seeing that either.

2 Likes

Covid , has put a stop to people being in there. 1 or 2 where I’m from.

1 Like

I worried for months when I was pregnant as I was having my mum and partner there for my birth and he wanted his mum there which I wasn’t comfortable with…
just explain to her that you would rather her come after…
if you’re that worried you can tell the hospital staff as soon as you get there who you don’t want there and they won’t allow them in :slightly_smiling_face: x

4 Likes

Whatever happened to the parents and no one else? Jeesh

1 Like

talk to your doctor, most doctors will see to it if you do not want someone in there. They had this problem many times and it is no problem for them to say Ok you must leave.

2 Likes

Most hospitals right now only let the husband be in room ! Many still have Covid restrictions in place! ( we just had a grandchild in December).

1 Like

Just say no you’re not comfortable being exposed like that

Same thing happened to me. I said no thank you. It was my husband only. My mom was there and could stay during the checks etc but not birth. I told my nurses and they asked everyone to leave for me before doing any kind of checks etc

No is a complete sentence!

5 Likes

Have your husband tell her that since this is your first child, you both want to experience this together, with no one else. She can see the baby when everyone is cleaned up.

2 Likes

No is the hardest word to say in the English language, stick to your guns. she doesn’t need to be there. Plus, I’d be surprised if the hospital allowed her to be there, most allow only one support person and it should be your husband/partner. I once worked with a doctor who said “it’s not a spectators sport”.

2 Likes

Tell her the hospital has restrictions due to COVID still and you can only have however many people you want in the room lol I hate confrontation so that’s what I’d do :joy:

5 Likes

Nurses can help with this mine said they have no problem telling anyone they can’t come in

1 Like

Say no! Blame covid if you have to. Say you want it to be just you and your husband. It was just me and my husband the entire labor and birth and first 24 hours after born. Best decision we ever made for both of my kids and doing the same for my 3rd :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The same for me! Very hard, but understand

Covid!! Perfect excuse :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tell her qith this being the first delivery and you do not know what to expect you would like just your husband in the room. I personally found having that extra person was pointless as they really can’t help as to many around you will be in the way

Tell her its just going to be your husband! Isn’t still ONLY one person in the room because of covid?? There’s NO reason for her to be in your room.

just tell her your saying it in the most respectful way, that you do not want her in the room. if she can’t accept that than oh well you can tell staff to not let her in🤷‍♀️

You make the nurse tell her. Lol
“Nobody but mom & dad”

1 Like

Just tell her no. It is your child, she does not need an explanation. Mine tried sneaking in and the nurses kicked her out bc they knew I didn’t want her in there

1 Like

She should not even request this!

5 Likes

Easy. You are not going to be in the room with us. This is our child not yours. We are going to enjoy this moment as a family. You are the grandparent, you can wait in the waiting room. Also where I am at they still only allow 1 person in the hospital with you.

Just tell her you could only have two people or something lol. Tell nurse in the room and ask if others can be told too since your mil wants to be in and you aren’t comfortable but don’t want drama. They’ll do it :rofl::pray:t3:

1 Like

Don’t tell her until the baby is born.

4 Likes

Just tell the doctors. No one goes in unless you say so

a definite no, time to set boundaries, this is your family moment.

1 Like

For one, check your hospitals regulations and protocols for Covid, some only let you have one support person anyway. Second, even if two people are allowed as support people where you’ll give birth, nobody you don’t want in there will be permitted without your say so. It’s your baby, your experience and no one should disrupt your comfort or peace during such a strenuous, chaotic, magical life event for you and your husband. You don’t owe her an explanation.

3 Likes

A lot of places still have Covid restrictions so check the rules out, honestly my births were best when it was just me and my husband.

Just tell her the truth

1 Like

Is your issue that it’s your MIL or is your issue that anyone wants to be there? If you don’t want anyone but baby daddy then just communicate that you want it to be the 2 of you as you become a family of 3. If you’re letting your mom or anyone else in that’s a slippery slope that puts your husband in a precarious position. IMO it’s obnoxious she’d even ask because there’s so much going on and it’s not about her, but if you’re including other people it makes sense why she’d think it’s okay

3 Likes

The truth shall set you free

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! She has no say in your delivery. Her “wants” are irrelevant. If you were close that’s one thing but you’re not even comfortable with her. You don’t want her in there so she doesn’t come in! Your husband needs to MAN UP and say no. I don’t care if that’s his mother he should have your back on this. This isn’t about her. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY. Do not accept it if she tries to make you feel guilty. Just tell her you’re not comfortable with it and would prefer she wasn’t. The end. No need to explain further. You don’t have to be rude just resolute. Your decision is no and that’s final. You need to put a plan in place with the doctors and nurses to keep her out. Tell them under no circumstances does she have your permission to be in the room with you. Don’t hesitate to set boundaries. This is an ultra personal experience and believe me when I say you don’t want anyone in that room you’re not comfortable with. I can’t even fathom asking this of my daughter in law. If she asked me that’s one thing but to push my way in is unthinkable. Your MIL will have plenty of time with her grandchild but never let her forget it’s YOUR child. Don’t let her stress you out and ruin this for you. You may need to have a serious discussion with your husband about boundaries with her. First grandchild or not she has no right to make demands. This is NOT about her. Put a stop to it now before it escalates. Btw I loved my MIL but there was no freaking way I’d have let her in that room.

It’s your body, you get to decide who is there when you give birth, period. The doctor and nurses will back you up on this. Just tell them, “I think it should just me and hubby there please” and if they make a fuss, ignore it. Being comfortable during birth is so impotant.

1 Like

Tell her she is more than welcome to be in the waiting room, but during the birth and the first little while after you want it to be as calm as possible so you want just the father and any doctors and nurses necessary. If she doesn’t like it, OH WELL! You are the one birthing a baby, not her. First grandchild or not she does not get to dictate your birth plan! :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Tell her due to covid there not lettin any visitors in :rofl:

1 Like

“No” is a complete sentence. Giving any sort of an explanation leaves room for arguments and push back. When you go to L&D then let the nurses and doctors know who you prefer to be in the room.
You are the one laboring and going through this. Your comfort and baby’s safety is # 1 priority.
If all else fails ask MiL if you can come to her next PAP and see what she thinks :upside_down_face::wink:

1 Like

Don’t be gentle. Say “I don’t want you in the room with me when I give birth.” It’s a very special moment for you and your partner and you get to decide if you want someone else there. But if she is super persistent the nurses will play bodyguard for you.

1 Like

I would say hey can you come look at my vagina real quick and when she takes a step back like why would you ask me to do that then you can say “see it’s weird right? I’m just going to have hubby in the room with me”

My daughter’s MIL was the same. Even tried to just walk in. My daughter only wanted Mommy!, and maybe her hubby, lol. I knew that, so when her MIL walked in, I simply walked over to them, MIL AND FIL :open_mouth: I just walked over to them and told them to GET OUT NOW! They weren’t happy but they left.

2 Likes

My exes mom kept just helping herself in. I was 17. The nurses weren’t even respecting my wishes. And it made the experience 100 times worse. Im.a boy mom and I’d love to see but I could never imagine asking. With covid I doubt theyd even let her in anyways. If you’re really not comfortable telling her just dont tell her when you’re in labor. Just say it happened so fast you didnt have time to call or say the hospital isn’t allowing more than 1.

I only had my mom and my child’s father in the room with our oldest. With our youngest it was just my child’s father and myself. I was absolutely miserable with my youngest…. Labor was seriously roughly 26 hours and my water would not pop on its own no matter what I did. So I was irritable and beyond tired. I snapped at nurses. Luckily they’d smile and call me hunny. But seriously if you don’t want her in the room… then don’t. :heart:

No! It’s a real privacy issue and also a health issue. She can see you and the baby later on

2 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobz367.netlify.app/

Set boundaries now if you don’t this will go into how you raise your child and relationship with your significant other. To be honest there is no letting them down gently because someone’s gonna get their feelings hurt. This is your delivery and your experience that needs to be respected. I had this same conversation with my in laws about visiting and delivery right after my son and I said " I don’t feel comfortable having people around while I deliver this is an experience for me and my husband, and I only want my parents in town first while I heal because I feel comfortable with going to them if there is an issue with my body or anything I may need." I’m glad I did that had my support from husband because delivery had complications and postpartum had problems as well.

Just tell her the truth. It’s a moment between the two people who made the child. I’ve never understood people who want to see their daughter in laws bits having a baby lol. You can see me and the baby the day after their born. But privacy is important and so is the bonding that the MOTHER, FATHER AND BABY need for the first 24 hours after their born.

5 Likes

It’s your husband’s job, not yours.

Tell her you want your own mother in the room

1 Like

You can tell her you would appreciate if it could just be you and your husband. However she takes it shows her character.

Just tell the nurses you won’t want hubby & they should handle it from there for you

Just straight up tell you understand she is excited however you are not comfortable with her being in the delivery room with you and you hope she can respect that

When I had my first my then boyfriend, parents, and his parents were all there thought out the day…they were sent out of the room when I had checks…when it was time to push they just weren’t allowed back into the room and were ushered to the waiting room. So I thankfully didn’t have to do anything or say anything lol.
But no matter what…it’s your child, not hers…first grandchild or not…she had her time. Now it’s yours and you can be as “selfish” as you want and make whatever rules and decisions you want. If you don’t want her then there she doesn’t get to be.

2 Likes

Be open and honest and stand your ground. Your husband needs to support you. It’s his job to handle his mother.

2 Likes

don’t forget that’s her grand baby just as much as it is her mothers and that can cause really bad hurt feelings I know I’m there now and don’t think for a minute we can’t feel the void of not being treated the same. It really hurts

3 Likes

Its your baby and body that is in a very vulnerable positIon, totally your choice. I’ve done both, been there and not, completely by their request and respected and understood that. It’s a private moment that only you and your husband were there to create… nothing wrong with wanting delivery to be the same. She may be upset but she’ll get over it.

I could have careless but my MIL is a good one she didn’t ask to come. My grandmother did & she was a big help. I know of someone who didn’t want her mil there & was lucky mil came after birth. Didn’t make it 2nd time either also had a great nurse to keep her out. This mil was & is mean

If you don’t feel comfortable telling her yourself, have your husband do it. For added security, Iet hospital staff know. They will only let in approved people.

3 Likes

You tell her that this is a private moment with just you and your husband and that’s the way it’s going to be. She can wait in the lobby till the baby is born.

3 Likes

Well they only let 1 person in with me and that was the babies father. The choice was made for me. I would tell her that

1 Like

Make it very clear, don’t beat around the bush. I only want my husband in the room to share the moment with me. I’m not comfortable sharing my stretched vagina pushing a human out of my body with you, I’m sorry if that hurts your feelings

I had no one on the room with me Tell her no

I would tell her no. She wasn’t there at the conception. She is not to be at the birth. You will see her later.

4 Likes

That is your husband’s job. You let him know that it will just be he two of you and that his mom can wait for the call

5 Likes

Just unbelievable how rude most of you can be! U should feel so grateful she wants to be included in such a beautiful experience! I am ‘a Mother in law’ thankfully I was included in all three of my Grandchildrens birth & it was from 3 separate moms. It only brought all if us closer in every way. I had much respect of those Moms. Grandparents are not going to be here forever how some of you can be so cold is truly unreal! U never know what can take place throughout life choose wisely there may come a time/s when u’ll need ‘grandmom in law’! She’s only wanted to be there outta love! Grow up ‘daughter in law’!

Tell her your not comfortable with her starting at your legs up, pooping and tearing your vagina open? I mean damn seeing the baby is one thing why dose she want to see all that? :joy: But for real my mom said “off you weren’t there to make the baby you don’t need to be there seeing it born”

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 17009 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://greatwork66.netlify.app/

You wont- she’ll be hurt, but it’s YOUR choice…

Just tell her no or have your husband tell her. You are the one giving birth. You are the patient. You are the one who needs to be comfortable with who ever is there. It is 100% your decision.

1 Like

Don’t tell her you went into labor - or if scheduling a C-section tell her it’s 2 days later - when baby is here call her with the surprise :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Just tell her! You don’t have to be rude,just say “i don’t want anyone other then (whoever you want) in the room with me” it’s your choice,and you don’t wanna be in labor and flip out because you were trying to be nice before

Tell her due to COVID regulations, only 1 person can be in the room with you. And that 1 person is your husband. She doesn’t need to know any different.

7 Likes

I couldn’t imagine my mother-in-law being in the room with me. Your husband needs to step up and tell her no. It’s a very intimate time for you and your husband.

5 Likes

With covid they only let one support person in here in Canada. No visitors either, just the support person so that would be your spouse anyways. Its an overwhelming time for any woman so speak up now. You can be kind, but that is a boundary you need to set now.

Also it is your husband’s mother, he should absolutely be the one to tell her it will be just him in there.

4 Likes

No, is a perfectly acceptable answer and also a complete sentence. No.

3 Likes

Sorry it will only be my husband in the room.

Just say no.

Also, if you want your own mother there, that’s totally fine. It’s not an issue of “fairness,” it’s an issue of you being comfortable and nurtured during your birthing process. Your mom will be there to take care of HER baby, YOU, first and foremost. Don’t ever feel guilty for boldly asserting your needs during childbirth, because it is a very tough process that should 100% center you and your baby’s needs!

2 Likes

Say no, its your choice, have some video the birth that will be in the room with you or do zoom. Its your choice, if she is in the room and it stressed you out then it will cause issues for you and the baby

I would just say no I only want my husband in the room with me when we have our baby. But here with COVID 19 we can only have one person with us. That is usually the father

She can wait at home for the phone call from you guys. Easy as that plus don’t let her know when you go into labor.

1 Like

Stand your ground I didn’t and have regrets.
They can come in after but not during

2 Likes

Don’t be a pushover. Just say no! You’ll be at one of the most vulnerable moments in your life… Whether you get along or not is irrelevant. Just tell her she can’t be there. Period. Don’t leave room for questions or pity…

1 Like

When it’s time just go have the baby and phone her after the baby arrives. Or tell her you don’t want her seeing what her son loves lol. Just tell her she can wait in the waiting room, and come in after the baby is born. Explain you understand the excitement of wanting to be there when her first grandchild is born, but she can still be there just not in the room as you are giving birth.

Nothing wrong with saying no, and hopefully she will respect your boundaries and be so in love with her grandchild any animosity will dissolve.

I had all my babies via c-section, so I could only have one person in the OR with me.

In my opinion though, the baby belongs to both you and your significant other. If you’re having him and your mother, I feel as though his mother should be allowed as well. I understand that you’ll be very exposed during delivery and your relationship isn’t the best, but it’s a once in a lifetime experience for all of you. Now if your mother isn’t going to be there, then his shouldn’t be either. If it comes down to it, just let it be you and your spouse.

2 Likes

“I don’t feel comfortable with you in the room with me”

Say “I appreciate the sentiment and understand why you want to. But it’s my body and a lot of emotions, discomfort, etc. I don’t feel comfortable with anyone but my partner, (and/or your mom) in there. .”

Or, just say no. Also, your husband should tell her, if you’re concerned/worried about the conversation. It’s his mother.

1 Like

It’s it just you and husband or your husband and mom?
We could only have two people but if it’s just you and husband just say you want it to be you and him enjoying a special moment

Its easy you dont tell her your in labour you get to the hospital settled in then tell the nurses you want it tobe only your husband and you. They respect that and will not allow them in the room till you guve pernission. Hospitals have gotten better at keeping moms Bp normal or close to it and drama free floors. Yoi shoukd be good, if you leave something on purpose in the car have your husband go get while the nurse is helping you get settled and you can tell her briefly your wishes without your husband knowing. Its do able but you have tobe clear with the nurses tell them look you don’t want mil in there and hubby will allow it against your wishes please make up some rule that will keep her from coming into the room. Please trust me we get it as nurses.

it’s called NO. Where I worked, they would only let one person in the Labor room as mom is delivering. I got special treatment because I was a M/B RN there, so I got to see my granddaughter delivered, Oh what a thrill :slightly_smiling_face: With your MIL, put your big Girl panties on & tell her NO :slightly_smiling_face: Oh & after my granddaughter was born, I left & waited for her in the nursery to give my daughter & her husband time to bond as a family with their daughter

2 Likes

tell her straight up. if she can’t handle it or respect that , then that to me says something.

just tell her you’re not comfortable, and that it’ll just be you and your husband .

Be straightforward about it if you cant tell her that to her face then tell the nurses to not let anyone else in except your spouse.

Hello. Just bluntly tell her you don’t want her in the room. Make your point and stand your ground. You are the pregnant one, you’re the one giving birth, you’re the one who should be making the choices. You and your husband have the last say. If she continues to push it then ban her from room when it is time to give birth. If she still cannot respect your wishes then you need to have a talk with her. Hopefully once baby arrives her animosity will go away.

1 Like

I went through this with my husband’s first, my 2nd.
If your husband doesn’t back you up here, its going to be harder.
My own mother wasn’t even in the room!

This isn’t her delivery.
Tell the nurses you want just you and your husband. They won’t let her in

The hospital Im delivering at in 6 weeks has limits right now due to covid. So check those out. They might work for you!

1 Like

“ I appreciate the fact you want to be in the room supporting me during the arrival of our baby, however I would prefer it just be (partners name) as it is a very special and unique moment for us to share. Thank you so much for offering though.”

4 Likes

I was fortunate enough to be close to my daughter in law and be in there to help her. That being said, it’s about a child coming into the world safely not about grandmas feelings. If keeping me out had kept my daughter in law less stressed than I would have gladly stayed out. It’s not about feelings, it’s about safety! Bond later.

3 Likes

Hey mom. I don’t want you in the delivery room.

1 Like

You could say they’re only allowing dad or one other person to be in the room due to covid

Let hospital staff know you don’t want her in the room while you give birth

2 Likes

Does she have a daughter? She can be in the room with her.

Tell her only you and your partner and birthpartner will be in the room

1 Like