How do I let my mother-in-law know I do not want her in the room with me?

Don’t let her know when you go into labor. It is your moment DONT let anyone else ruin it or make it theres

I told mine my whole pregnancy and even told her the day my oldest was born I didn’t want her in the room. She stayed anyways and ruin an already traumatic experience… then wanted to go to the NICU before me and my doctor point blank said no one could go other than my husband. Then she left the hospital and we didn’t see her again for about two weeks. Just depends on the kind of person your dealing with. Make sure you tell every nurse who you want in the room and only them.

2 Likes

Have your husband tell her, and make sure your delivery team knows who you want there. They will be “the bad guy” and keep anyone you don’t want in there out.

3 Likes

I don’t care what other people want. I’m giving birth. it’s my say.

2 Likes

Just tell her.This is your moment.You must be comfortable physically as well as emotionally and mentally.Even if her feelings get hurt that is not on you.

2 Likes

Your body your choice
Right?
She should respect that

You have the right to say no, no explanation needed. I would never have my MIL there way too TMI.

1 Like

Tell her she can see the pics just like everyone else… and you & daddy get to hold the wee one FIRST and Dad cuts the Cord!!! Your baby, your body end of discussion!!! Good Luck​:heart::heart:

2 Likes

That’s a conversation your husband needs to have with her … it’s completely valid to only want you and hubby in the room.

1 Like

When I had my first one my mom and My Ex And Ex MIL was right outside delivery room no one was in there with me

I had my 2 nd one my Ex was by delivery room and my oldest was 11:2.

My 3rd one my Ex and my best friend was outside of delivery room and my my mom missed it she worked at the hospital but was in her office at the time came up right after I had him and my other 2. Friends came by 3 hours later. I wasn’t close to my MIL at all she was a B

Just express your feelings. Unfortunately in these situations people are gonna get upset no matter how you say it. But you got put yourself and needs in the delivery first momma.

Don’t tell her when you go into labor

Omg. She is way out of line! Your husband should tell his mother it’s not appropriate. Or you can tell her it’s not a good idea.

3 Likes

Put ur foot down make it clear she is not the father of that baby and only the father has a right to be in the room doesnt matter if its her first grandchild or not its u and that babys father that should only be there

I let mine stay till it came down to actually pushing then I asked her to wait outside so I’d feel more comfortable

Let her know in a gentle way that you want this to be a private, intimate time between you and your husband… make sure your husband is on board so he doesnt fold… I went so far as to let my birthing team, nurses and dr included that i ONLY wanted my husband in the room and they made sure it went down without a glitch! I had a very pushy MIL and she was pushed out and thought it was all the Dr :blush:

2 Likes

It’s you and your husband’s decision who, if anyone, should be with you and your husband at the birth if your child. Personally, and I am a grandmother, I believe a husband and wife create that child alone they should be there alone when the child is born. It’s a very special time for the two of them😊

1 Like

She’s gonna feel bad no matter what. Just say it…gently. you can do your own thing. It’s ok.

tell her while you appreciate her caring about you its a special time reserved for you and your husband and let her know AFTER you get home and recuperate then and only then is she welcome to come over and sadly that will have to go for your side of the family as well

1 Like

Tell her docs are worried your gonna be nervous and you need a peaceful labor

Tell the nurse at the hospital. She will have a good way of letting them know without it sounding like it’s coming from you.

1 Like

Try to be easy on her I’m sure she only has good intentions :pray::heart::pray:

Blame covid or have a nurse tell her when she shows up that they are restricting visitors - i mean its an easy way to go about it. I knew beforehand as a single mom that i was gonna be alone in this and i banned them and told them to put a note in my file no visitors

3 Likes

Maybe there is a way it can work out for all of you.Tell her she has to stand at the head of the bed.I was there in the room when my first grandbaby was born and let me tell you I cried and laughed at the same time.So if you could let her in there don’t let her miss out on the birth…So if you can be the bigger person for her and your hubby.Make sure take lots if pics

Have your husband tell his mother.

2 Likes

Tell the hospital staff ahead of time and then “blame” them, they don’t mind and will understand plus they can then support your decision.
Personally I would just tell her sorry but no. I don’t want anyone else around while I’m naked and dealing with what I will be dealing with. But I’m told I can be too blunt and brass lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Have the dr or nurse tell her it’s only the father because of Covid

4 Likes

Be straight forward with her explain how you feel take it from there

Don’t tell her when you goin to labor. Contact her after the baby has been born.

3 Likes

You just say moment for you and dad only or blame the hospital but make sure you tell the hospital staff that you don’t want her in there, also can tell them when to let visitors in so you guys can have some family time without all the extra people. Or just don’t say when you’re going in

2 Likes

We’re in the times of Covid again! That’s your saving grace because the hospital will take care of that for you!! Only one in the room, I’m assuming it will be the Papa!

1 Like

Stand your ground! My hubby’s mom bullied her way in

2 Likes

We didn’t tell anyone when I went into labor. I had my husband, best friend, and another friend that was an OB nurse.

I didn’t need any parents around to stress me out.

Just say point blank . I am uncomfortable and want to keep the delivery room small .

I do like that some said have rhw hospital staff be the bad guy. But then I feel bad that she’ll get her hopes up for nothing.

But I hate my inlaws and they have no contact with mine and my husband’s 4 kids. There the worst kind of people though

You just don’t say anything when you go into labor. You can regularly talk about only having you and husband there if you want. But it’s pretty presumptuous for her to think she’d be at your medical event.

3 Likes

Your body, your baby and so it’s your choice.

Be gentle, thank her for the offer to help, but you will need to concentrate on the birth not her.

When did child birth become a spectator event? Giving birth is a VERY private moment for Husband and Wife, that is YOUR moment to be shared with the father. No one is ENTITLED to that, NO ONE! You don’t have to explain ANYTHING, NO is a complete sentence. Ask her how many ppl were in the room when SHE gave birth! Grandparents WAIT in the waiting room!

4 Likes

Blame it on hospital covid protocols…partner only one allowed!

4 Likes

Stand your ground. Say no, it’s not an spectator event.

2 Likes

Have the nurses run her off.

1 Like

Tell the nurses if they can ask her to wait outside and tell her that only the dad can be in there with you

No no no!! I wouldn’t even ask my own daughter. It’s a private and bonding time for the new family!!

1 Like

Have the staff tell them only one person due to covid

1 Like

You can’t control how she feels or reacts to not being allowed in. But honestly when it comes to you giving birth, it doesn’t matter how she feels. Please just do what you have to do

2 Likes

You tell her, I don’t want you in the room.

My boyfriend’s mom wanted to be in the room too and I just told her I felt more comfortable with just me and my boyfriend in there. I told her they would probably only let one person in with me anyways because of COVID and I that my mom was in the room when I had my oldest but only because the dad didn’t want to be in the room (unplanned c-section) but had he been in there I would have told her no too.

Why people think it’s ok to assume they can be there is beyond me!! Flat out no! Was she there when s/he was made? No! Therefore, she can wait til you’re up for company and kindly respect your wishes to experience this moment with your significant other.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t want my mil looking at my cooter🤷🏻‍♀️

1 Like

It’s not an event where you want someone in there with you who’s not extremely close to you. I was naked bouncing on a yoga ball for hours or on my hands and knees with everything exposed. Does that sound like something you want to do in front of her?

2 Likes

Just say she can wait in the waiting room until the baby comes. There will be a lot of people in the room, and high stress and you don’t want her to see you like that. Seriously the last thing you want is a lot of people crowding you.

You just have to tell her .also have your husband tell her. You need to be as comfortable as you can be while giving birth. Just tell her. Outright tell her.

1 Like

It’s an occasion shared only with your husband you tell her

1 Like

Luckily in the UK this isn’t even a thing maybe we’re a bit more buttoned up I don’t know :woman_shrugging:t2: 99% of grandmother’s on either side would not even expect or presume to be present at the birth of their grandchild and in fact the hospital wouldn’t allow it either in nearly all circumstances

Tell her. I doubt I’d even want my own mother in the room if I ever have a baby, let alone a mother in law. Some people are just more private. She can come and see you and the baby afterwards. If she’s upset that’s unfortunate, but not your problem. Be considerate while telling her. Her reaction is up to her.