How do I navigate being a single parent?

I feel so sorry for you. Good luck.

Go to local church for help

Oh how I wish I could help you out,

High school students

Where are you located

pray. wait on the Lord. Amen

Neighbor’s helping neighbor

It’s easy from the outside to tell you to change jobs, but that’s not always an option. I was a single mom with no support system (my kids are now grown). I did set out to have a job/career to allow me to be available for them - I became a teacher. However, I still needed help. My recommendation is to go to Meet the Teacher events and meet the other parents. Talk to your child’s teacher. This is how I found an angel who helped me with after school care for a period when I wasn’t working at the same school as my children. I also, as a teacher, helped others with child care during school breaks. Also a local Boys and Girls Club can be an affordable after school care (they pick up from schools) option. If you are a part of a church, as some have mentioned, I know some have found help at their church.
Best wishes.

Can you take your child to work with you?

Day Care Action is a government program that helps pay your childcare, whether it b a daycare center or anyone you choose like family members or friends just not the mother or father of the child/childern. You will pay a co pay usually no more than $50. Also depends on your income amount. You could also ask to have your wrk hours the same as your kids school hours. Mayb less hours but til you can find help its better than nothing :grin: Everythin will wrk out Good Luck

Same situation u may have to change jobs and then do an afterschool program for kiddo. I have nobody and had to do that its stinks but it kept us going. And be very organized write all ur Bill’s down for the month and no extras until those r paid. Save ur change for backup.

1 Like

The best thing to do would be to find a job that will work with a daycare situation. Alit of employers are understanding when it comes to this. It’s tough. I agree with all these comments. Help from the state. Daycares with odd hours are very rare. Things seem tough RightNow and not having a supposrt system close enough or not having one at allmakes it harder. I was single mother of 3 kids. Juggling work, school, sports, etc. You will conquer.

Get a different job.

Call around to look for after school programs at local churches. Get to know your neighbors and see if some might be able to help.

Don’t be afraid to reach out for help, wherever or whatever. Definitely look into social services or any help in your county. Government assistance will help you get on your feet. Look into food stamps, this will help you budget off of one income. I cannot stress to you to not have too much pride to go and apply.

Join a church many older lady’s will babysit for free at all hours.

Pay the hundreds of dollars if u want to keep working

I have always worked during school hours and in the summer time I would put my son in a summer program/camp during work hours. Other then that I wouldn’t have been able to work so I completely understand your situation. :confused:

I feel you. I have been there!!!

See if the school has a sharing help ptogramme so can help each other out . Must be many in your situation or Responsible sixth formers who want some pocket money .

1 Like

I’m on the same boat, however I went through the process to get state assisted daycare which the before and after school program accept. I still have to pay, but its based of my I come and easier to manage. I don’t have a lot of family out where I live anymore, my friends have their own lives so though they are willing to help, it’s just not possible for them to help all the time. State resources in this case may be really helpful. They helped me not o ly be able to work and be there for my kiddos, but its also helping me go to school to create better opportunities for us. Hang in there, you got this!

I was a single mom. I found jobs that worked for me being around for my kids. I eventually worked for myself cleaning houses. I made good money and made my own schedules. I also pet sat for people on vacations. I also delivered a large early morning paper route. I took my youngest along with me when I needed to. It’s by no means easy but you can do it.

1 Like

Call your local child care resource and referral agency. They know who accommodates odd hours.

Honestly, I have no idea… but where the dad? He should be invovled taking care of his kids if he is not a danger to them. Maybe find a job to work the opposite shift of the father. Do you have friends with older teenagers looking for extra money that could work with you on payment? Does your state provide child care assistance? Maybe your job can let you off just a bit early enough to be able to get your kids?