How do I save my son?

Good luck trying to get professional help, they really do not care, or the system doesn’t care, fact!! And the world is as he says it is, he just got to get used to it like everyone else,

5 Likes

He needs a mentor?
See what he really like to do?
Then follow through with him…
On one condition U ask back in exchange what U want?
Won’t be easy…but U have to really work with him…make sure ur there all times to support him…he needs U right now.
Not his little brother!!
That will come in the picture later…good luck!!!

He needs to go to therapy and discuss how he is feeling. I went through something similar and I did not get help until after my suicide attempt because I never talked about it to my parents or anyone. It is not you necessarily or anything you are doing he just needs some help to talk through how he’s feeling with an unbiased party and he may require medication but medication is what saved me despite the stigma and I am a medication coordinator at a mental health facility so I know what they do and it sounds scary but he will make it through. Just continue supporting him and making sure he understands you’re a safe place for him

You can try to get him on depression meds. I couldn’t find one that worked for me. Maybe you can. You could try and get him into after school stuff like sports or get him into theater or music. Something that makes him happy and he likes doing that will occupy his time. Therapy of course can help if you find the right person. You could get him a pet. If he knows say a dog relies on him he’s less likely to do something and it could help with depression.

2 Likes

He needs to see a psychiatrist. Perhaps there is an imbalance. I was just like this in high school. I was then diagnosed with depression and put on meds.
It may also be an issue with kids at the school. Teenagers can be so mean to each other. All I know is getting him to talk to someone will help.

Baker act him. They will access the situation and if he is deemed stable then he will be released. This is a serious situation and you are better off taking it seriously.

1 Like

Get him professional help ASAP. Don’t let him battle this alone. You should also see this person with your son to get an insight on how to cope at home. He’s still a child and needs some sort of direction. He’s sounds a little confused about what he wants for his future outside of world with you. Help him find his way. I would be hesitant on medicating him right now, mind altering drugs can be very harmful for him if not monitored closely. Also talk to your husband if he’s in the picture. Get him involved with the counseling sessions. This child needs both of you to support him during & after his recovery and it may not be easy. But it will be worth it. Prayers to you all.

Could be a number of things. Depression/ anxiety can be paired with adhd comes to mind bc thats what my husband has. Hes on medical but it helps him. Id say have him speak with a psychiatrist. It may take some time to acclimate but its worth it in the long run. And hes mad at his brother bc of a violation of trust. A necessary violation unfortunately. Hopefully he can understand he was trying to help his big brother…

The view he has about the world is unfortunately a view many young people have today. Its hard to be believe in a world where u see life is meaningless. Go to school, work, work to make money, to die without living…Try and help him find a passion. Reading, writing, painting, sports of sort. Anything that can bring him some joy so he doesnt feel life is pointless.

Good luck, im sorry hes struggling with this. I hope you can find him the help he needs for him and your family.

I think its time you spend maximum with him and do things he enjoys ! Play carrom or whatever he likes! Avoid letting him and you younger son to be face to face alone ! Just make younger son busy with hobby classes or play with friends! Don’t blame or neglect younger sin ! But try keeping them apart for sometime and show nothing abnormal happened!
Call home teacher with whom he is friendly and also whom he is scared of ! Apprise them his condition and seek help also tell them they came on their own.
Praise him for everything! Ask him to teach you network etc! Make him feel important and useful

Child depression is actually an unknown crisis in America. I would suggest getting mental health help as he may need more help than just therapy.

I am someone who suffered from post-partum depression and my psychologist told me in younger individuals depression is shown as anger, frustration, short tempered. Which I very much had. So much to the point I thought I was bipolar.

Seeing a psychologist who actually cared, my first one sucked, (released me after 4 weeks and that’s when I slowly began to think I was bi-polar) was extremely helpful as he was able to explain what was going on with me, why it was happening and simply just be there when I needed to talk.

And the right medication helped a lot of course obviously. But what helped the most was being able to talk to other people around you, the same age and realize that there are a lot more people going through the struggles of depression and anxiety than you. It helps you to not feel alone and then some of those people become your lifelines as well because they simply just understand and don’t need a lot of explanation.

1 Like

Counseling, definitely all that that ppl are saying. Also give him the option to get his GED instead of going through this last two semesters of school and use that year before College to work on/find Hobbies, go on a spiritual awakening jouney, and just find himself.

It’s hard to explain but when i was a teenager i was mad when other siblings told my family that i was depressed or suicidal. I did want them to help me by not making my life harder which they all contributed to. I went to couseling and took medications. But the things i realize now as an adult i should have had better surroundings back then having every single adult being so mentally ill themselves or toxic and just really odd towards me…that’s why i didn’t open up to them and still dont. Teens need to be able to have someone they can trust and a safe haven. I didn’t have that at all and it led to abusive relationships, drugs, and still learning to be better and healthier as an adult. So i guess. If you’re not the person they could open up to. Maybe an aunt or uncle or a cousin could.

1 Like

Find out what his goals are it’s intimidating when people have a higher prosperation and no one values that

3 Likes

“Where WE think he is good” that’s the issue right there. It’s not about impressing parents. That attitude creates so many issues. No one needs to live up to a parents standard for them.
And self harm is a perfectly acceptable way to regulate oneself from doing something worse. It’s a coping mechanism.

Just ask him to not stress about his grades there are a lot of ways to get where he wants to go he doesn’t have to stress in grade 12. Scary for you xx

Maybe help change his point of view on life. Most kids these days feel the exact same way because frankly it’s ducking true

5 Likes

In Australia there is a group who gets through depression with building project cars not sure of the name maybe cars for hope. Good luck xxxxx

1 Like

Find him a counselor who specializes in teens. He may need long term counseling. Also, talk with your family doctor about antidepressants for depression.

Lack of b- complex vitamins causes moodiness and depression. Try sublingual liquid you can get at Walmart. Also, not enough sleep causes problems emotionally.

For those saying medication and admission… Forcibly confining somebody and making them take pills that will change who they are should be classified as abuse. It makes things infinitely worse.
There is nothing wrong with low levels of self harm to regulate oneself and keep oneself in check.

:sunny::sunny:Its amazing what the sun does for us​:sunny::sunny:
When u cant do a regular regiment, take VITAMIN D.
My daughter would go high/low and i would make her do Vitamin D for 2 week or longer. It really helped.

Get his vitamin d levels checked. Most people are low and they are connecting that to some mental health issues.

1 Like

I mean I may be the odd one out here, I’m 24 about to be 25. All my friends, the same age or a few years older… The bit you mention about being depressed and living to work and die, is kind of just how people feel now. That’s how the world has made people feel now. I mean don’t get me wrong we all do get enjoyment in life, and tbh smoking a little bit if the devil’s lettuce definitely helps with my depression. But that’s generally how younger adults feel anymore. I know I’ve had that same outlook on life since I was about 16/17. However as for the self harming he should definitely at least be talking to someone unbiased. Whether a friend, family, a trained professional to try to help him talk through his emotions and help him find something he is passionate about. Let’s face it, he’s almost an adult and tbh being an adult is scary, especially when you don’t know what to expect, etc.

Constant live and support. Don’t give up. It’s depression. Keep talking keep reinforcing your lice and suppirt

With the thousands of media personnel vying for ratings they spread negative stories disproportionate to our reality, especially since 9-11. It steals hope from all of us. So if a person is suffering from depression or any mental pain, the negativity presented must be magnified. Being a senior male ready to graduate presents lots of unknowns & fears, as well. Check w/ school if he’s been exposed to bullying. Also, a visit to his mental health pro would be helpful. Family therapy may also be very helpful as well.

Take his threats seriously. Ring acute mental health services & see what they think you should do.

Get him in therapy asap. See a Dr for medication but you control dispensing it to him

By telling his brother , he is asking for help.
Does he have a good male role model in his life ?

The thing is, your son is correct. Most people will work in a dead end jobs for low wages. It’s the nature of the beast that is capitalism. It allows only a tiny few to fulfil their full potential. Add to that climate destruction, rampant racism, LGBT+ phobia, sexism and constant war, what is there for our kids to look forward to? Most adults are too busy living pay cheque to pay cheque and drowning under a mountain of debt to think about fighting to change the system but we need to. There’s a pandemic of mental illness amongst young people and despite your son being angry at his brother he clearly even if subconsciously, wanted you to know. Very few 8 year olds would keep that to themselves . I know everyone is saying anti depressants, but why not talk to him about how another system is possible. One where everyone’s needs are met and not just a few filthy rich parasites at the top. Encourage him to get involved in the fight against capitalism, take up politics and read Marx and Engels, Trotsky and Lenin. Trotsky said, “Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.”

I am Chinese. And food kinda is our thing. Minor diet adjustment might help? Hot tea, baths and soups, natural sugar or regular sugar diet and watch the insulin, regular exercises that brings up the endomophins and even weighted blanket for a quiet restful sleep? A strict routine w/o stimulus.You might have to consider what a melt down toddler need in the adult sense if talking isn’t working.

Have u tried Jesus Christ , His healing is permanent.

5 Likes

I hate drugs. What is his diet like?

This is normal for depression. He should be continuing counseling even during the good times. Sit down and talk to him like an adult and send him back to his counselor consistently.

Fight on…life is ups and downs. Continue intervention…let him know he is loved…Pray for him daily… let him know that you are praying for him…help is available!

Your not going to save your son. Jesus can. In life you need hope. He needs to know there is more to life then a 9-5 job. More then family and friends that will let you down. Praying for the best for your family. Try a Christian counselor too.

An 8 year old should never have to witness something like yours did. Maybe look into getting him counselling too, just incase .

6 Likes

Coming from someone who was in his spot when I was a teenager. At the end of the day even though it seems we don’t want help we do! He does! Best thing is to take him to a mental institution that’s for under age children only. I went to one for a few days when I was at my lowest saw a therapist there it really changed my life. Help me a lot. Got on medication for a while. Life gets better. It really does. I have my own family now, happy with my life. He doesn’t see it right now but he will if you get him the help he needs.

3 Likes

That is the way of life tbh, just insure him that’s it’s a positive he’s seen it so young. Do something about it! Be your own boss, make your own aspirations.
We all live to die, it’s how you spend inbetween what matters.
I would have hated to have my school years during covid, it’s messed up so many children.
You’re doing what’s needed though, keep at the councilling, keep your chin up!

I don’t recommend you ignore it of course, definitely take him to see a counselor and just spend more time with him without bringing up his emotional state or self harm. He needs you to just enjoy being with him without it being about his issues or he’s going to continue to seek attention thur self harm to get it. Those issues should only be discussed while in a therapy session. I am almost certain he will out grow this behavior.

1 Like

So I went through this exact same thing as a teenager. I attempted suicide 3 times before 18. Even after that i battled with the thought “the world is better off without me” I’m 32 and I was just delivered from that this year. The only thing that can help this battlefield of the mind is the Lord Jesus. My life is night and day compared to my younger years. Jesus can take a way that spirit of death admiration and give your boy a life lived more abundantly. Jesus healed many people with this spirit of death and suicide He can do it for your son.

He needs a psychologist, mad is ok harming himself is not. Let him be mad and do it anyway. Prayers for your family!!

When I was a teen I tried to achieve a lot in my high school years. I played in a few bands and was a ghost writer for a few of my friends bands as well. I really wanted to make music a thing but it seemed everywhere I turned it was a failing dream. So I had other hobbies to fall on and other goals I wanted to achieve.

So basically have your son create a list of goals and dreams he would like to achieve over time. I usually start from top to bottom with the top being small goals and work down the list to larger ones that will take more time. And with mom’s help he could achieve alot and have more confidence in his life and maybe a better outlook that life isn’t just working till old age and then death.

Your son is ok. This society is just whack

He need to be seen now don’t wait

Paediatrician maybe?

Mental institution. Involuntary 72 hr hold.

1 Like

Teenagers are hard. I find the more you push the more they will push you back. Dont pressure him he wont like it. But you must remember your not his friend your his parent so do what you have to do. Anti depressants changed my sons life. Seek medical advice asap. Good luck mumma. Everything will work out

I don’t have much other than that the kid isn’t wrong. That’s all that happens. It’s just something he has realized from a very young age.

I don’t agree with the meds but I would explain to him that you don’t have to work your ass off at some meaningless job to pay for a house you can never enjoy because you’re always at work to pay for it. Tell him to find a way to make money remotely (online) then buy a van and travel the country while you’re young. Sticks and bricks houses aren’t for everyone and being a nomad is ok.

1 Like

He obviously has mental health issues and likely needs medication. Are you serious about not knowing what to do?

He isnt wrong. You’re born, you work, you die. That is the way most live their lives these days. The only person who has the power to change that mindset is himself. Therapy isn’t going to help him, especially if you have already tried in previous years and an emergency session is going to piss him off even more than the brother talking to you. You are basically telling him something is wrong with him by making him drop his life to go talk to a shrink. If you really want to save him, teach him to work for himself. Help him study and learn an online job that he can take with him around the world. Guide him through the steps of becoming his own boss. His view of the world isn’t going to magically change. Either work WITH him and try to help him in a way that will actually benefit him, or don’t even bother. If he has an emergency session with a shrink tomorrow because he is having self harm thoughts, they are either gonna put him on pills or in a ward. You will lose him if either of those happen because you ran to the shrink

Your son is 17. We have all been through that age, guys or girls. 17 is growing out of being a kid and being an adult. Most of us were lost at that time too.

What your son needs is you. Be with him, not as a parent. Be with him as a friend. Hang out with him. Go out, watch a movie, eat junk food. As equals, not as a parent. Best is if both dad and mom and join in. Don’t leave him once he says he’s ok. Make him your friend and he, your friend. Share as friends, not as parents “instructing” your son. Once he knows he has friends in the family to rely on instead of parents he will open up and share deeper. That’s when you can reassure him that we are all in the same boat together. We NEED each other.

Try and find the core of the problem (I’d say it’s school) can he change schools? Can you afford a psychiatrist? I live in Australia so I don’t know what your government can provide. I myself sound similar to ur son and I’m 37. Does he like water? Water calms me. If it’s possible , move closer to what he needs. I hate medication but sometimes it’s necessary. He’s also at an age where it’s super hard to be a teenager and grow. I pray for you. The world is a mess and I’m begging my parents to move away and make the most of our lives with eachother . Give him time off school (it won’t hurt) school isn’t the be all and end all of life. Happiness is key. U just need to find it.

Rejection from peers maybe ?? Or other event. ?

Get him on antidepressants first

I mean he isn’t wrong. Is this a real mental illness or is this just environmental? US-style capitalism breeds this kind of hopelessness and depression, and things are only getting worse

Oooh my heart breaks for you x saying a prayer for him now.

I don’t think medicating him is the best idea the side effects of many drugs are anxiety and depression!!! See about getting him some hypnosis or advice check out Michael Garner or his daughter kat Garner. After what has been happening the last 18months it hard for anyone. If that doesn’t help then of course see a doctor. There are so many alternatives to try, Reiki, shamanic journey, meditation, yoga( getting teenager to do these maybe hard) his mind s powerful he just needs help to realise that. Reiki helped my son.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you and your family are deal with this. Sending love and support to you all❤️

Maybe you can talk to MIND charity , they might be able to offer some help and support to you and your family. It’s hard being a person on the outside looking in at just a snap shot of what you are all dealing with.

Although difficult to hear frOm your younger son at least your eldest has actually said those words out loud so now someone can help you if that makes sense.

I hope you all get the information and guidance you need to get through this together, let your son know it’s all of you that are in this together … I feel that’s important for him to hear.

You can’t force him to get help but you can reassure him your with him from the first step.

Xxx

Be kind to him, get him help, be kind… This above all please

I’m sorry you are facing this ad a parent. As a 30 year I sadly admit I basically agree with your son… I in all honesty will not achieve basically anything that used to feel me with hope and joy. I have two wonderful kids and a girlfriend who understands my past and bring me much joy by existing in my life. These things are all that keep me going… I am more melancholy than anything. I make okay money, but can’t afford a house struggling to replace my car that’s going out, and will probably have to grind myself away at work till I’m near death or just dead, whichever comes first. I often think about ending it but feel my kids need me, and girlfriend wants me, so I have made it yet another day towards a life that is basically unimportant. I wake up and first thought is okay gotta do it again. If you want to help, don’t tell him how to feel, listen and sympathize to a degree, assure him life is hard but that certain moments are amazing, and lastly help him find anything he enjoys no matter how silly you think it is or how mundane these things are essentially how I stay alive until maybe I can heal after enough good. Ps this is how most young people feel now days so he isn’t alone. If he could use someone to talk to or you further would like to talk feel free to message.

2 Likes

Your child is mentally ill. Its not something that just magically gets better. He needs ongoing treatment and support. Not just a few sessions until he seems good again.
You also have to understand that you might not be the best person for him to talk to about everything that’s bothering him, so make sure you take the time to find a therapist he is comfortable with and non resistant to.

6 Likes

Get him on anti depressants

I would consider a psychiatrist consult if he is already voicing re self harm. Assessment and treatment may be quicker to initiate, and then move to psychology for longer term care.

I was your 17 year old. I am 31 now.
I still have the same view because that is how the US has made life thanks to 2 party voting. Your 17 isn’t wrong in the least.
I stick around figuring if things get bad enough there is always that option.
Meanwhile I am enjoying life when I can and voting 3rd party, hopeful that a future generation won’t suffer because of your vote.

One of the greatest disservice we do for our kids is not teaching them about service to others and fulfillment through hard work. A job at 16 is so important especially for boys. Men have to learn to work hard from a young age. As for service… nothing is more fulfilling and perspective changing the helping others. When you serve others you don’t have unnecessary time to focus on your poor pitiful self. It teaches you self worth and pride and shows that it could be so much worse. These kids have too much time on their hands and watch unrealistic things online and compare themselves to it.
Keep your kids busy and active… you won’t be sorry!

As an adult who attempted suicide for the first time at 13 please take him seriously. Find a good psychiatrist and a counselor. It takes years to get the right meds and tx going so start now. Let him know how common these feelings are and how loved he is every single day. Express interest in what he’s interested in and give him all the support in his dreams.

7 Likes

Jessica Bartlett yeah I understand but this could possibly be the worst way to go about it if he’s already openly spoken about self harm.

Does he see a dr? If his chemical levels are off no amount of anything will help he ll need medication.
Secondly don’t shame him for confiding in his brother, first its great they can have those conversations and Secondly it is him reaching out for help. I just reiterate to my daughter that we share that kind of information so we can help each other.
You sound like an amazing mum and he will get better, my daughter was like this for years but with the right balance of therapy , medication and love they so come out the other side xxx

4 Likes

I’d try to teach him that every negative that comes around, there’s a positive lesson to be learned. It’s how God reaches us… I’ve endured MORE PAIN in my life than any human shoild ever have to endure until I “woke up” & LISTENED to what he was trying to teach me. I had suicidal thoughts at that age & well into my late 20’s & the only thing and I mean THE ONLYYYYY thing that stopped me was that my mom told me I’d go to hell forever & burn for eternity with no second chances, no I’m sorry’s cause it’ll be too late to change my mind. She saved me without knowing it several times, cause her words kept running though my head in those desperate times of despair…

1 Like

At a loss for words to help. May the Lord guide and hold your family close. Praying for your son and the rest of your family

3 Likes

Self harm is always a symptom of something else. Please take him to a psychiatrist/psychologist to get him diagnosed and find him a method of treatment.

2 Likes

I would definitely seek therapy for your son. I grew up with the same mentality and it took therapy and bipolar depression/anxiety meds to get me on track. Now, I’m a mother and wife. I love my job. We are flourishing as a family. Therapy saved me.

1 Like

Well unfortunately he’s not wrong. Welcome to capitalism. He’s struggling with the same internal dilemma as most young adults who’s parents lied about reality.

9 Likes

I used to feel the same way. I have also been to a psyche ward for other reasons. It’s hard. It does get better. I wish I could help him. I am on medication to help with intrusive thoughts. But he may need more help than that even. A psychological assessment might help him as well. He may also need an outlet. Mine is art. Maybe find some way for him to let everything out.

Take him to a psychiatrist and have a normal mental evaluation and to his doctor for the chemical and hormone tests.
Him telling his brother was a way of reaching for help. I. Believe if you sit him down and have a supportive conversations about his options into making things better for him he’d probably be open to it since he did counseling it sounds like he definitely wants to feel better you just have to figure out what’s best for him and that is allot of trial and error but he’s lucky to have a momma who cares so much!! You got this love :heart: sending love and healing energy to your family good luck! :heart::heart:

1 Like

Counseling only works if you stay with it. It also sounds like he needs meds.

1 Like

He needs a purpose is life. He feels he has no purpose and that life is pointless. Try to get him and your 8 year old into a hobby or sport together.

2 Likes

Your doing what any mom would do!!! You feel he needs to talk to someone professional then do it!! Also make sure to tell your younger son that what he did was good very good and that his bother may seem mad at him now but he’s not hell be thankful that his little brother was his voice and spoke up for him!!

Have you gotten him diagnosed if not you need to today

Take it seriously cuz there’s a lot of that today and is very hard today with what’s going on

I feel the same way he does lately tbh.
Everyone gave you great advice about your oldest and I wish you luck.
My advice is to make sure you take care of your youngest too in this situation. My older brother had mental issues and I literally got forgotten while they dealt with him.
Like literally forgot my birthday twice forgot. It ended up giving me mental health issues I may not have had. So just remember you got other kiddos suffering too.

5 Likes

Do not be afraid to get your son help. Sometimes a person in that state can’t decide for themselves if they need help so you’ll have to make that decision for him. Please take him in to get evaluated and some help. A cycle of depression like this could be because of many number of things and the longer you wait to get him help and a diagnoses the worse it can get.

2 Likes

He needs to be in constant psychological care. Therapy and treatment only works if you stick with it and if he has a good relationship with his treatment team. However, he’s not entirely wrong in his sentiments. He sounds like a smart kid, who needs help finding joy, hobbies and outside fulfillment in life. Partnered with a good mental health team.

4 Likes

His counselor and the school are mandated reporters, so if he has voiced thoughts of wanting to hurt himself they can put him on a psychiatric hold and evaluate him. It is by no means an easy situation but you might save his life and get him the help he needs. School and a job are all back burner stuff for now focus on his mental health and make sure to take care of yourself as well :heart:

2 Likes

I would seek professional help on this one.

Be careful with inpatient psychiatric facilities. Do your research on them first, like really dig, get feedback from people not just internet reviews. Coming from experience. I was hospitalized 13 times before I was 15 years old and while yes they did stabilize me and keep from immediate harm, I learned some of the most destructive behavior from them and witnessed a lot of abuse of patients from caretakers in the wards. Best of luck :heart:

6 Likes

Keep him busy. He needs exercise and activities.

Well, he’s not wrong. However, there are people who live unconventional lives of adventure. They have minimal belongings and work construction or as ski or sailing instructors or charter captains and sleep on friends couches until they have enough money for their next travel/hiking/charitable building adventure. It’s not true that has to work a conventional job forever. He needs to focus abs decide what he eventually wants to do. Get him some counseling and some adventures. He needs it.

1 Like

Inpatient care. It’ll help. Perhaps he’ll find a hobby he enjoys and help him cope with his emotional issues.

1 Like

I would encourage you to find a Christian church and seek Christian counseling. There are therapist out there who offer Christian counsel (I currently go to one myself and so does my 7 year old son for the same
Issue) and it has helped tremendously. It makes a huge difference to understand that Jesus loves him and has a purpose for him, that he is so deeply loved and things will get better. It’s also important for him to understand that his frontal lobe of his brain is not fully developed yet and in time, he will be able to cope easier when stressors arise. His problem is both physical/mental and spiritual. Fight for him :heart: and when you need answers, how to help him, how to comfort him, how to find peace yourself, I encourage you to read Gods word. Listen to Christian music for a long time (do a
Challenge even! 30
Days of nothing but positive and encouraging Christian
Music) and watch your life transform. :heart: My prayers are with you Momma. I know it hurts.

3 Likes

Counseling and medication is a mindset thing…(in my experience with myself and my teen daughter) it only works if the person needing help believes it will work… definitely get him into an activity he enjoys… counseling and/or medication can make it worse…I’ve been there myself and have dealt with it with my daughter…if you need someone to talk to, I can lend an ear…best of luck to you and regardless of your choice with this, keep a very close eye on him

3 Likes

Show him that you’re there for him and talk to him. I self harmed in high school. I actually started doing it while I was going to counseling. I honestly wouldn’t jump into anything too quick til you have a good talk with him. Jumping too quick into things can make it worse and won’t help the situation

2 Likes

He probably needs to be hospitalized for severe depression. Do not wait, could be a matter of life and death. When someone says they may harm themselves, never think that they won’t! Prayers for you and your family.

3 Likes

If you feel you talking to him isn’t getting through. Then definitely look into a family counselor or something. Maybe do something fun and excited ? Small family trip ? Idk something to make the kid realize there’s more than school, work and death. I get his point bc this world is very very scary. Just make sure he knows his momma got his back and there’s so much more to live for.
I hope it gets better. Most kids go through hard times in high school. I hope it gets figured out and gets better. Good luck.

My son is missing right now! It’s been 5 days. His Dad and I have done everything humanly possible to try and help him with his thoughts. He’s on prescription drugs and he has become delusional. The only thing we have left is prayer, but we believe strongly in that! As parents we can battle for them in the spirit, and the best thing we can do is help them find Jesus! He has a lot more control than we do!

3 Likes

None of these may be good suggestions but it’s what came to mind lol maybe you can get him to volunteer somewhere or just even take a trip to a place that would help him see the world in a more broad view. Maybe help babysit someone’s young children, seeing kids play and just the miracle that a baby is may shine some light on how important family is and how that could be a goal in life for some people, or maybe visit an elderly person so they can give him some advice on what things in their life they look back on now and value dearly that could help show him that in the end it doesn’t really matter if you were in college or working for a ceo at the time because you’re always making memories outside of that to hold onto. Lastly, I know he’s 17 but SOCIAL MEDIA (idk if he is active on it or not) especially at that age can make you feel so inadequate and hopeless, the people you see on social media live fantasy lives and for a 17 year old it probably seems impossible to ever have any of that maybe he needs to start following new people at the very least or take a small break.

2 Likes

Get your son the help he needs. Him telling his 8 yr old brother was his call out for help. He’s struggling and needs you to help him in the right direction.

2 Likes

I would probably do inpatient as others recommended and until he goes I would make sure someone’s pretty much with him at all times to keep a eye on him. My cousins son hung himself 4 years ago when he was 17 and nobody was home so that’s why I would be nervous leaving him if he’s been extremely depressed