How do you celebrate your kids birthdays?

How do you celebrate your kids birthdays? My husband thinks we should have a party every birthday but i dont agree with it

53 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you celebrate your kids birthdays?

only have party’s for the mile stone age example 1st 3rd 5th 16th 21st , otherwise small get together with friends or family dinners really

2 Likes

We’ve done a party pretty much every year.

3 Likes

Each kid has their own birthday each year

4 Likes

Of course you celebrate their birthdays! Do you celebrate yours? Why wouldn’t you celebrate them and the day you become a mother. I agree with your husband I celebrate my littles birthday every year

9 Likes

Personally I would feel bad not to celebrate my kid’s birthdays every year.

3 Likes

It’s the one day a year they can feel special. When they get to be teens, they usually want to be with their friends and go do something.

4 Likes

This is what I thought after having my 2nd 10 months ago. But they will want to see those memories. You may not want to but they will enjoy it! And what changed my mind is who knows they or I may not be here the next birthday hypothetically. You always want to celebrate when you can!!

3 Likes

We let them choose where to eat dinner at on their special day and do cake and ice cream and a gift when we return home.

I have 6 littles n we celebrate each birthday every year … it’s usually what they want like if they wanna go to a indoor jump place or have a party at the park or go swimming but we make sure to atleast do a cake :birthday: on their birthday with everyone

1 Like

We celebrate with imidiate family on their birthday then have a party the following weekend with other family members and friends.

I always had a party each year
Even if it was just a small one with a few family members
I’ll be doing the same with my son

1 Like

We calibrate each birthday. Their birth is something to calibrate

1 Like

Just a cake (before i used to bake a cake now its a birthday treat …caramel cake from Woolies) candles and a pot of curry or breyani…only parents and siblings. Take pics. Play Stevie wonder …happy birthday song. Dance.

We do a cake, maybe a cookout/food they like (pizza, hot dogs, chicken nuggets), cute decorations ($20-30 on Amazon for the house) and presents. My daughter was born on Christmas Eve so she gets a special outfit too.

1 Like

We do a huge party every year. In my opinion birthdays should be celebrated!

8 Likes

My oldest is 21 this year we are throwing him a pool party bonfire…my middle son turned 20 last week hes deployed out of the country…i sent him lil debbie birthday cake muffins and cakes​:hugs::hugs::hugs: …last year i had a baker at ft hood surprise him with a cake

2 Likes

Don’t feel like we need a party every year but always do atleast like a family takeaway night or family dinner with close family come over and play board games or online games or little games like pin the tail on the donkey and have cake.
Doesn’t need to be a big party or anything just people you love there to celebrate their special day :heart_eyes:

Id say do whatever the kid wants!! If its a party then do a party, if its a small gathering over a yummy meal and a sweet treat of their choice with just family then thats great too, if its making them feel extra appreciated and taking them on a fun little adventure with some extra special meals and treats in between with mom and dad then thats great too! Id say make their day an extra special one (every year) no matter what! Their life on this earth and in your family deserve to be celebrated! :raised_hands:t3::sparkles::heart:

1 Like

We usually do a vacation around that time of year for my daughters birthday. We have done some big birthdays before but now I just ask her what she would rather and she always chooses the getaway. It’s honestly cheaper than the parties I throw and she gets to choose so it’s a win win.

3 Likes

we do certain yrs for larger parties but family mostly for others… 1st, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21…

Cake and presents at home is enough, no need for a party every single year aside from big birthdays

2 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a party with a lot if people , lots of gifts, but you could make it a special day for instance when I was growing up my Mom would make us a dinner in our honor, usually it was on Sunday dinner, fir dessert :ice_cream: she would have baked a cake . I only had 1 birthday party while growing up, but that dinner in my honor was the best. I can never remember wishing I had a party, I did this same for my kids and now the tradition has carried over to grandchildren

2 Likes

1st birthday 6th 10th 16th 21st 30th 40th etc are mainly important, but every year no just have supper close family take the kids out to their favorite restaurant

Why not have a birthday party? If money is not a problem… why not celebrate these milestones? Your kids will only be young once. Sure the prep, decoration and getting a cake together takes a little effort and planning, but, really, what else are you going to do with your time? As far as gifts go, they don’t have to be elaborate or terribly expensive. Thoughtful and something they’ll enjoy works every time. I didn’t get to have parties for my kids every year. For one thing, we spent some of our time living where we didn’t know a lot of people. When we did move back closer to family, I had to work a lot and the kids missed out on a lot of stuff. Plus, my son’s birthday fell during the kids’ summer break when they were with their dad and that kind of shot that birthday down for us. And if I couldn’t have a party for him, I didn’t feel right having a party for my daughter. It was pretty tricky. But, you don’t seem to have problems like that. Celebrate your butts off!

4 Likes

I just do small family birthdays cake and dinner they get choose what we have

1 Like

Birthdays should be celebrated.

1 Like

We do parties - I love organizing them and have been planning the upcoming child bday for around 3 months now :joy: :tada:

for the adults: everyone gets a party with family and :balloon: :birthday: :gift: and a special trip with lots of fun just hubby, me and child

5 Likes

parties aren’t necessary every year. i usually let them pick something they want to do. like my daughter’s birthday is in 3 weeks & she wants a day with friends at the water park WITHOUT her siblings lol. so she picked 5 friends to invite & that’s what we’ll be doing!

1 Like

I go all out for every birthday to have a party for as long as they will let me!

2 Likes

Dinner or Lunch with the Family at a Park or somewhere free/cheap (Grandparents & Cousins) and 3 friend sleep over or camp in yard once they get bigger.

On big ones like 10th & 13th maybe a Party place like Roller-skating or something.

I don’t want costs for attendees & the most valuable thing your kid can give mine is friendship & time making memories. Doesn’t need to be a Party every year but definitely a celebration of some sort. Maybe ask the kid? Sometimes they suprise you.

Why wouldn’t you celebrate them on their birthday? It doesn’t have to be a big blow out party but even a small family party on their birthday would make them feel special.

3 Likes

We basically have one every year for each of them, except when we don’t. The years we haven’t it’s usually bc we do a vacation during their birthday instead. They’re older now (8/14) and get to make the choice if they want one or not.

1 Like

Birthdays should be celebrated

2 Likes

Do not understand why you would not want to celebrate the birth of your children… I have done birthday parties for all 4… 1 child per age of child… nothing huge… but… a special activity, cake, goody bags for guests… it’s a party for the child… to celebrate them… a meal, pizza, hotdogs their favorite… what do THEY want… that’s what it is about. I budget about $200. Which includes their gift. As they get older the gift gets more, the party gets less…

3 Likes

My daughter is 6 and she has always had a birthday party because I think it’s important to celebrate another year of her reaching new milestones and becoming her own person with her loved ones. I want her to have those memories to look back on, for her to remember who showed up to celebrate with us. It doesn’t have to be big or have tons of people, but even a bbq with family and a few of her friends means more to kids than adults realize. I’ve taught her not to expect presents because presence is more important than presents.

You sound like such a fun person.

2 Likes

We stopped throwing parties around 11/12. But we did have a party every year until then :woman_shrugging:t2:

Have a small party, meet in the middle. It doesn’t have to be all one or the other and he should have a say, too. You can get decoration at the dollar tree and a cake from Walmart (which are adorable and affordable) and call it a day

1 Like

It’s my son’s first birthday this year and I think I’m just going to have a picnic lunch and some pool time with him and a couple of my good friends. I don’t see the point in having a party because he’s not going to remember it.

1 Like

I do birthdays for every year but,do bigger parties for the special ones(1,10,13,16,21)

3 Likes

I’m 32 and still love celebrating my own birthday. Let alone the birthdays of my children.
Life is so precious, every year should be celebrated one way or another. It doesn’t have to be huge, but making it a special day in some way to me is important.

5 Likes

We will always celebrate on their birthday but it may just be a small, at home, family only thing some years. My kids have the same birthday Dec 15th, 7 years apart. This year one turns 13 and the other 6. I plan to do something extra special for my daughter turning into a teenager and my son’s celebration is going to be a bit more low key this year. He’ll get a bigger celebration when he hits double digits and again at 13 like her. Her next big birthday will be 16. Not exactly sure what we’re gonna do for either kid yet… my daughter keeps giving me “idk” when I ask her what she wants to do :woman_facepalming:t2:

We usually do a party every couple of years and in-between she picks a Friend or two and we go to an amusement park or swimming or something she wants to do, a party every year is hard some times but she’s never complained you should always celebrate the birthday but is doesn’t have to be a party every year cake and dinner with family is great too!

1 Like

I try to do a party the weekend before for friends and family and then they always choose where we eat the day of their birth

1 Like

We will do dinner of their choice. We will also do experience days, wherever they want to go. We still celebrate them without big birthday parties. Just had one yesterday, cupcakes and pizza at the pool.

2 Likes

Depends what a party is in your household?
Hire an event coordinator, a restaurant, catering? Absolutely not.
A party in the park with yummy food and friends and family big yes.

2 Likes

Yes their birthday should be celebrated every year. Now you don’t have to have a HUGE party every year but I would at least do cake ice cream and immediate family

2 Likes

My kids have had birthday parties every year since their 1st birthdays. I will until they tell me that they don’t want one.

1 Like

5th birthday they start getting their own B-Day party…I said what I said

Every year i throw parties… and my second youngest turns 1 on sept 1… but we’ll only have cake for her for now and my one and only son will be 11 on sept 14… if were still out here by then we’ll be throwing each of them one big party party when we go home… once my babygirl is discharged from the nicu :smiling_face::heart: im excited…

Please allow your children to celebrate their birthdays in the way they want (within reason)

1 Like

My daughter gets to choose. You would be surprised how often they choose no party. We give options. Daughter is a June baby. We give her the option of a day at the water park, zoo. Her first 3 years I gave her parties but her 4th she chose the zoo for her 5th I asked what she wanted and she said she wanted just a day at the park and dinner. Her 6th this year she wanted a party so we gave her a little paint party with close friends for her 7th she already decided she wants to go to the zoo. But let’s see if she changes her mind.

2 Likes

Kids party? Sure if the kid wants it
Adult party just using kids birthday as an excuse? Probably not

l Get paid over $118 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18229 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarPort692.pages.dev/

We do family parties
We do family movies and munchies day
We let them pick the movies and the munchies
My grandkids aren’t big on bday parties

1 Like

birthday dinner with family and then 5 10 12 16 and 21 the big birthday bashes and inbetweek just couple of rfriends over and watch movies and eat junk food andplay games

1 Like

I completely agree with your husband. Birthdays are a huge deal on my husband side of the family. I’m all for it! Sounds like our husbands have the same mindset, and I couldn’t agree more!!

l get paid over $145 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $15396 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info>> https://proworkings321.pages.dev/

Once they get a little bit older I let them decide what they wamt to do

1 Like

I have 3 daughters, two born in March and one in May, I did one big joint party til my oldest was 12 then when they turned 13 I took each of them out for a whole mommy/daughter day with one of their friends we did shopping or a movie of their choice. Then every year after that from age 14 on we have just went on their birthdays to their favorite restaurant for dinner and then back home for cake and ice cream.

1 Like

My boy’s are 12-13 and my daughter is 17. They have had a birthday party every single year! As kid’s should. A few balloons from Dollar Tree, A few decorations from Dollar Tree and a Cake. It doesn’t have to be anything big. Just make it their special day!

We always have a small family party, since it’s just the 6 of us here. However, my oldest daughter is always part of those whether it be by video chat or in person​:purple_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I only do the big one s … 1-5-10-16 and so on the other years I just do a celebration with family

Our kiddos got a 1st bday(mainly for the adults) a 5/10/18 party. Every other bday is a family lunch/dinner.

My oldest always wanted a birthday party but my youngest never wants a party ( he just can’t do it) so we just let them decide within reason of course!

My kids can pick a present or a party, not both.

We celebrate with a party every year.

I let my kids pick a special event for their birthday like urban air or an arcade then we all go to dinner. Less cost then a party but still celebrating their day

We do a party every year, but, big party’s for big birthdays, a few good friends party food, even just family party food but the big birthdays, 1, 5, 10 etc huge, the others we have smaller parties to keep the magic alive it’s a birthday after all

Sometimes we combine the kids birthdays into one party sometimes they’re separate, but there is always a party. They’re children ffs.

1 Like

We don’t do huge parties, to me it’s a waste, I’d rather spend the money on the child… so we do family outings… family of 8 here… we allow the child to pick the event they would like to do for the day… we go to dinner at their favorite place… then what we would have spent on a party is how much money get get in a special card and a few gifts…

We have a party every year for our kids. Usually on a different day than their birthday to include family and friends. On their actual birthday we might go to dinner or do something but really just take that day to spend time with them

It depends on the kid. My youngest? Loves parties. He’d rather have a party with all his friends and cake than any gifts, at all. My oldest? Would rather have an experience. Like a weekend trip or something. My middle kid is all about the gifts. He’d rather have a family dinner and cake with all the gifts.

My kids get to pick what they do.

Depends on the age and what they want. My son turned 15 this year we took him and a few friends out to eat and then they stayed the night. My daughter will be 6 and we have had a party for her every year thus far minus 2020

Every year I say not another big party. Every year i do a big party for atleast 3 of the 7 kids. The older ones start to lean away from parties other than milestone parties. But then I quickly learned the gifts they’d love instead cost more than the parties . Lol

I guess the big question here is how are you defining a party?
My kids get birthday parties every year.
We’ve done…
*1 pretty big themed bday (oldest son’s first)
*Low key. Family hot dogs and hamburgers with family only
*Combined with 4th of July party (oldest birthday is at the very end of June)
*pool and then going to my mom’s for pizza (family only)
*best friend slept over. We all went to the pool. Then best friends parents came over with best friends sibling Bbq’d. Roasted marshmallows.

Kids Birthdays deserve to be celebrated with a “party” but it doesn’t have to be a huge fancy affair with a ton of people.

1 Like

I have a big family so it’s a decent party usually each yr. It’s personal preference. No right or wrong. But it sounds like you guys might need to find a compromise that works for your family. Maybe ask why he wants a party each year. It may mean something to him.

I do presents and a day out. This year it’s a massive soft play center (3). Last year was the zoo

They’re only little once. Have a party even if it’s small.

3 Likes

Only did that when they were little but as they got older it was just family.

I’ve always done parties but honestly I’m over them. Lol My son’s birthday is actually today and this year I gave him a choice; have a party or we could go do something with just me and mu husband. He chose the latter, we went to an amusement park yesterday and took his cousin because he wanted her there too. We had the best day.

2 Likes

We do q day trip or weekend get away my son is 4 I plan to continue this as he gets older maybe a party here and there

We decided to have birthday parties on the big birthdays (1, 5, 10, 13, 16, 18) and on the other years we will take them to do something and celebrate with close family, once they get older they can have some friends over or something

I let my son choose. He could have a party or he could take one friend for a whole day of fun. He usually chose the friend.

I let my daughter pick her theme/cake and where she wants it. It’s a special thing for us.

We have a party every year… :eyes:

The birthday child gets to pick a friend to come to dinner if the birthday falls during the week. If the birthday is on the weekend they have their party on their birthday.

We have a birthday party…every year; on our around their birthday.

We celebrate with a party every year.:birthday::partying_face: Nothing huge…just few good friends and family members.

1 Like

Every birthday, every Easter, every Thanksgiving, every Christmas…celebrate and make memories. It doesn’t have to be elaborate or expensive, but it should be memorable.

3 Likes

They both get a 4 hour party where they invite friends. It involves cake, games, presents and fun.

Before covid we would have a family party as well. (Joint for both kids)

On their actual birthday my husband and I take the day off work and we do something special as a family for their birthday. Normally a social breakfast if their choice, presents, this year we went zip-lining and to the arcade for my daughter’s birthday. It normally involves ice cream. We also go out for dinner to a restaurant of their choice.

1 Like

My kids have a bday party every year. They invite friends and we do something.

My son is 11 and weve had many types. We’ve done big family and friends parties which was a huge headache. Weve had small parties where he invited a few friends and we did something special, and we’ve done parties where it was just us going to dinner watching a movie and hanging out all their choice of course of which movie where we ate and what we did as a family. This last birthday his sister’s birthday was 9 days before and he wanted a combined birthday so we went to the pool and had cake and invited whoever wanted to come. Honestly when i was growing up what kind of party I had didn’t matter to me I was just happy to be celebrated and loved on my special day.

Our kids get the option of party or do something as a family like dinner of their pick and a activity. Almost everytime they pick go do something as a family

I have 2 adopted daughters and one of the biggest things they said is that they loved having birthday parties when I came into their lives, that they never had any maybe a small cake with dinner but nothing special. And having a special day about them was S so amazing. You really do not have to spend much to make the day about them. But I believe it definitely should be celebrated.

I do parties with family and a few friends. This is the first year we’ve inverted a while class for our 3rd grader, but she’s was with 12 kids of the kids since last year. Sometimes we’ve done a vacation or a fun family day out together. We’ve done indoor skydiving, museums, monkey Joe’s, the Miami Seaquarium, the zoo, Disney, Legoland, etc on the actual birthday. Every year is a blessing. It’s just as much my day as Thiers, to an extent. I didn’t have parties growing up and we usually got to pick what was for dinner and my parents made that and a cake on our birthday. Which was great and special too. Now that my babies are in school on thier birthdays, she’s 4 and 8, we don’t get to do something super special on thier birthday unless it’s a weekend. Trust your gut and work together. Happy upcoming baby’s birthday!

1 Like

My kids have a party every year. Is there a reason why you don’t want to celebrate their birthday’s? How will you decide which birthday’s deserve parties and which should be skipped? It doesn’t have to be a huge deal. Just a small cake and a handful of friends. They are only little for a little while.