How do you clean a carseat?

My toddler pee on his car seat. He was without diapers, and now all the car smells of pee. I washed three times with soap, but the smell is still there very strong. What can I use to remove the smell?

23 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you clean a car seat?

Try washing it with vinegar, let it air dry.

1 Like

Pull the liner off and put it in the washing machine and then make a mixture of bleach and water and wash the plastic part.

5 Likes

Baking soda and vinegar

1 Like

Baking soda and if able remove the cover and put it in the washer with arm and hammer laundry detergent

Lowes has a liquid to take away the pee smell

Vinegar. Once dry it won’t smell like vinegar anymore either. Also a good fabric softener

Hope u know that they have expiration dates for car seats. Just saying

3 Likes

Throw it in the tub mix baking soda,Clorox color bleach powder,dawn dish soap and let it sit for a few hours l. Then scrub it in between the hours it sits,ring the water out and then throw it in the washing machine

Unstoppables laundry beads

It will be listed in the manual how to wash/dry, carseats all have certain and specific instructions on how to do this and what to use. Sitting it in the sun will help too.

6 Likes

Throw the whole thing away.

You have to follow the instructions in your manual. If you use something you are not supposed to or clean it improperly, a new seat will be needed x

7 Likes

Odoban get at home depot or lowes

You should be able to take the cover off and wash it in the washing machine

6 Likes

Vinegar, baking soda,dawn… works wandere

2 Likes

Baking soda sitting overnight then vaccines off got the most nastiest puke smell out if by kids car seat. I was shocked actually.

Follow your manuals instructions and allow it to air in the sun. Don’t use bleach, ammonia or fabric softeners unless you want to void your warranty and the potential safety of your seat.

4 Likes

Odo-ban full strength works wonders on pee

Oof unsafe advice in here.

Never use harsh chemicals, or vinegar or even baking soda.

Please look in the manual to see how and what you can use to wash your car seat.

Also, direct sunlight came help with smell!

Washing outside of what your manual says will make the car seat unsafe. Never saturate straps or the buckle. Never hose it down as the seat itself will be compromised.

5 Likes

Only wash according to the seat manual. Things like bleach, oxiclean, etc are too harsh amd will deteriorate the seat or cause unseen damages. Sit it in the sun as a natural deodorizer.

2 Likes

Vinegar works the best

Put in the garbage and buy a new one!!!

4 Likes

You should read your car seat manual

1 Like

https://thecarseatlady.com/cleanliness/

Nothing unless you properly washed it, otherwise it’s trash and you need a new seat. Always reference the manufacture for cleaning directions.

Read the manual. There are certain things you can not clean it with, nothing too strong or you can ruin the seat.

3 Likes

Peroxide a squirt of dawn and some baking soda in a spray bottle. We use this for animal & kid pee

1 Like

Try vinegar and baking soda mixture let it sit for a paste then wipe down with water and papper towel then spray with lysol.

Does the cover not come off? My old car seat had a removable cover id wash it as per instruction and then use kitchen wipes on plastic seat.
Wee seeps into the plastic

1 Like

Car seat manual will tell you how… you absolutely cannot do anything else other then what the manual says… most car seats you cannot wash, you cannot even get wet, you cannot saturate them straps etc

2 Likes

Take the car seat cover off and wash it in your washer if you have one

I usually just throw the cover in the washing machine with regular laundry soap
Eta: my manual says its ok to do so

Wash the carseat and set it out in the sun to dry

1 Like

There are Pet urine sprays, you can try that. We use nature’s miracle

1 Like

So our car seat came completely apart so I can take all the padding on the fabric off of it and I usually hand wash that and you can get some stuff called OdoBan and that’s definitely going to kill the pee smell and then take the rest of the car seat like the plastic and all of it and hose that bad boy out!

Vinegar and detergent, that’s what I wash my dog blankets and bed in and it definitely takes out all nasty odors

3 Likes

Take the cover off and wash in the washing machine and spray Clorox spray on the plastic n rinse with clean water

My cousin works as a vet tech and they use this to get rid of smells.

1 Like

Set it outside in the sun for a couple hours

I used some stuff called Dreft.

Most covers come off

1 Like

Rug shampoo has a attachment

Please do not use vinegar, clorox, or any other harsh chemicals on the carseat. Read the manual and see if you can throw it in the wash with a gentle detergent.

1 Like

If you can take the seat cover off if not use washing powder and washing liquid and scrub then use smelly spray

I’ve used Dawn Dish Soap and warm water, and not had any problems with left over smells or stains. Take the cover off and scrub that in the tub or sink and let air dry then use Dawn again to scrub down the plastic.

Let the cover soak in vinegar for a little bit or wash with vinegar- 1 cup and laundry soap.

Try peroxide and vinegar

Norwex makes an odor eliminator or try a carpet cleaner made for pets

I would read your car seat manual. You usually are not supposed to wash the covers for most of them. Maybe spot clean. Or try to get a new one if possible.

1 Like

I had good luck with Dawn dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. It works great on stains too. Just make sure you wash the car seat covers twice to get the vinegar out and double rinse and scrub scrub scrub the base to again, get any possible residue off of the plastic. You can use vinegar to clean you just need to make sure you clean everything thoroughly that skin will be in contact with.

Please read the car seat manual. It will tell you what you can and cant use. However since you’ve already washed it maybe try leaving it outside to air out. I did that with my little ones car seat when he threw up literally all over it.

1 Like

You need a new one. You are not supposed to soak straps at all and if you washed the cover itself it is no longer flame retardant.

A lot of people don’t realize this, but on the tag it has special directions on how to clean them. :heart:

2 Likes

Spray with mouthwash cover with newspaper till dry. The newspaper will absorb the odor. Read to use this with bedwetting and also animal accidents. Also read if washing in wash machine use normal detergent and a cup of mouthwash always used blue to remove odors

2 Likes

It could also be the cars seat :seat: maybe a carpet cleaner

I soaked mine in warm water and baking soda. Then hand washed it in the tub with regular laundry detergent, rinsed it, then hung it out on the line to dry. I scrubbed the plastic with dawn and dried it with a towel. Worked for me.

You remove the entire car seat. Then take off the cover and put it in the washer
Hang to dry.
While its off wash and rinse all plastic and foam parts .
Also clean the seat that it was on, if you have a little mini shampooer that’d be best since its been left there to soak in.
Carefully put it back on and reinstall.

Of course you can take the fabric cover off to wash! Thats why it comes off. Babies puke. They pee. They :poop:.

Unless the manual says not to, obviously.

2 Likes

Nature’s miracle. It’s made for animal “messes”. It kills and neutralizes the smell and bacteria. It works for many things Urine feces blood vomit ect. It’s safe for people, animals and the environment.

2 Likes

All of it should come apart… dis connect the straps under from the hook part… pull thru & out… take seat pad cover off & wash it… low heat to dry or itll shrink up & be a pain to get back on

Wash it in the washer and the frame in the tub

2 Likes

Vinager or dawn dish soap

2 Likes

Fabreeze Fabric refresher

Use vinegar in the washer.

2 Likes

Take it off and wash in the washer.

4 Likes

Soak in vinegar that will take away the smell then put in the washer

1 Like

Vinegar, baking soda, or ammonia…

Contact your car seat manufacturer. They will give you the proper and correct answer.

1 Like

Spray with a pet urine deodorizer

Possibly Dawn then sit in the sun

1 Like

Try borax, laundry detergent/dawn dishsoap and baking soda ( laundry stripping method). Let it soak for a few hours, squeeze excess water, and throw into washer machine with laundry soap

I’ve always taken gross carseats to the carwash for a good pressure wash. I got several used and they needed a good cleaning before we used them, or kids spilled something, or poop blowouts. Always cleaned them right up.

Baking soda and vinegar

Take the padding off and put it in the washer

Sprinkle baking soda

Scentsy counter spray believe it or not that crap does wonders my daughter Peed in my car and that took the smell out

It should come apart to put in washer

Using harsh chemicals will most likely rid the seat of the fire retardant it has…follow your manual.

1 Like

Use urine remover and put it in the washer then lay flat to dry.

Maybe just maybe… it’s in the seat not car seat wash the seat🤷‍♂️

I put mine in the washer and dryer

If your child’s urine is that strong they should probably be drinking more water just saying

4 Likes

Odoban or diluted peroxide!

Petsmart a product called natures miracle urine remover. Soak the car seat in it.

2 Likes

May have to just get a new seat though… that’s what I would do if it was that difficult to get out LOL
If you can’t afford one maybe check with local fire dept or call non emergency or 211 for resources

1 Like

You do know you can undo the stairs && put the cushion in the washer right?

1 Like

Kids N Pets works wonders. Takes out urine smells.

Take it to a car wash and spray the heck out of it

1 Like

Distilled white vinegar

1 Like

Open the windows and let it air out. As for the car seat, remove the fabric wash and wash the car seat out wherever he peed at

1 Like

Wash it the way the manual says to, then hang in the sun. Sun does amazing things!

Contact your carseat manufacturer! You are not supposed to wash the cushion or starts with certain soaps and/or chemicals. I can compromise the integrity of the straps/seat!

1 Like

Spray vinegar and a little dawn dish detergent and power wash it down at a car wash

Woa kids will happen little accidents I’ve had 2 kids and 6 grandkids and 2 greatgrandkids and I certainly wouldn’t ask people what to do in this instance babies and small kids will have these wee accidents

1 Like

Girl Ive taken mine to a DIY car wash and washed it lol put it in a trash bag and bring it home to dry in the sun. :woman_shrugging: It ain’t stupid if it works lol

If it still smells that strong, then the pee probably seeped out on to the seat underneath or spilled out on removal of the car seat.

1 Like

Mamas Uncut there is a lot of unsafe and wrong information on how to clean the car seats. Those that will comprise the seat and could fail in the event of an accident! They need to refer to their car seat manual and the manufacturer!

2 Likes

Baking Soda overnight and vacuum the next day

2 Likes