How do you clean a carseat?

Please follow the manual for cleaning intructions and/or contact the manufacturer.

My Pet Peed - Pet Urine Remover —>this stuff works on human pee as well :eyes: I definitely recommend this to get the smell out

1 Like

Lemon juice I have heard

I use resolve carpet foam on my sons and it works wonders!

Take the cover off and wash it in the washing machine with detergent, baking soda, and vinegar. If it got on the seats or floor of the car spread baking soda and vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes, scrub and vacuum it up.

2 Likes

I saw this lady do it and used shaving cream

hose it down, if it needs stain cleaner use it. And hose it down again.

Take the cover off and wash it in your washer

Hydrogen peroxide. My youngest son had a bed wetting problem and I refused to buy him new blankets until the problem stopped so I sprayed it on them before they got washed and it took away most of the pee smell

Try odor ban. Follow directions on bottle for different uses. Can buy it in the cleaning supplies section.

1 Like

Use a cat pee remover enzyme they sell at pet store… took care of my elderly father who dribbled…took care of smell

1 Like

Soak it in the sink with vinegar and baking soda. Then wash it with detergent oxy clean and vinegar.

Take the whole thing apart and wash the cushions on gentle with laundry detergent. Dry them on low heat and put back together. It’s a pain in the ass.

Try Lemon Windex. Let it soak a while then wash.

I pulled them apart often and washed them. Soak in vinegar and water (add 1 cup of vinegar, fill machine with water and then pause the cycle for a few hours).

Good god…car seat nazi on the loose.

6 Likes

Did you takeout the car seat completely.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you clean a car seat?

Carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment or try a pet odour remover

1 Like

Mine, you can take all the fabric off and put it in the washing machine, then I’d put the base into the bath with disinfect for a while, rinse off and let dry and put the fabric back on

If you have already washed it. Spray a little dettol. Just let it dry. The smell will go when it’s dry but if you keep wetting it will keep coming back.

Read your manual. All of these suggestions are wrong and go against what the manufacturer says. You can only wash the covers on a cold gentle cycle, with a mild detergent and dry flat in the shade. Most bases can only be wiped down with a damp cloth, same as the straps.

Use white vinegar. It will smell of vinegar initially but when it dries the vinegar smell will go.

Works for dog wee on carpet/upholstery anyway

Bicarbonate of soda. Leave on there overnight then Hoover.

3 Likes

Biological washing detergent

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you clean a car seat?

Pet urine spray cleaner. Fun fact it works on human pee also :rofl:

11 Likes

You can detach and throw it in washer machine.

4 Likes

Not sure how to get the smell out other than putting baking soda on it. For a while when my daughter was first going without diapers we put a puppy pee OAD under her…just in case.

11 Likes

Pet stain and odor carpet/furniture cleaner should do the trick. Used it on our car but we had a shampooer to help too

I always took the cloth part off and threw it in the washer and then air dried it.

31 Likes

I take care of an elderly that has accidents Alot. Take the cover off wash with arm and hammer laundry soap and a quarter box of baking soda. Use an upholstery cleaner on the seat of the car if it was peed on.

13 Likes

I use fabreeze pet odor… you can take the car seat apart and wash it but wipe the straps don’t wash them… they have something on them that makes them fire resistant

1 Like

Im pretty sure a good one is 1 part vinegar and 1 part baking soda! One of my cats peed on my toddlers carseat and it got the smell right out! My mom ended up mixing it for me so i dont know the right measurements but im pretty sure thats it! :blush:

8 Likes

Car Seats for the Littles please, please join this group! Any and all parents should be in it that own carseats! You should only be cleaning with what is recommended by the manual and the manufacturer. You can destroy the integrity of the car seat, the cover and the straps if you use anything against the recommendations…which can result in harming the precious cargo that is your little ones. This group is certified carseat technicians & professionals. They’re easy to talk to and respond relatively quickly.:grin:

7 Likes

Someone really needs to create a carseat that can just be taken out of the car and hosed down with cleaners and disinfectant and whatever else is needed. Do car seat manufacturers really think a car seat can go 5 years without being peed, pooped, or thrown up on? Looooooord. :roll_eyes: My kid peed in his seat and I’m terrified to do anything because I was in a serious accident earlier this year - thankfully without my son - but it was scary and the car seat had to be replaced of course so now it is top of mind for me how durable but ridiculously “fragile” they really are.

11 Likes

Kids -n- pets, it’s the only thing I found when I was potty training my boys

4 Likes

Wash exactly how the manual states to wash it. You cannot use any chemicals on any part of the seat whatsoever. That includes vinegar, Odoban, Lysol, etc. The straps can be wiped with a baby wipe or a little regular blue dawn on a wash cloth. Same with the shell of the seat. Do not submerge the straps or the shell in water. No hosing either.

18 Likes

Dang, if your child’s pee smells that bad, he needs to drink more water! My kids have had accidents while on family trips and their pee didn’t smell like that. Yikes.

13 Likes

I take ours to the car wash and power wash the absolute living shit out of it :rofl: bonus points if they have the hand held dryer too, one stop shop for car seats, high chairs, large toys & bikes/trikes

2 Likes

You got to read the manual and see how they reccomend you clean it. Otherwise the straps or anything can fail when your kiddo needs them most!

5 Likes

Check the owners manual, and contact the company if need be.
If you do it wrong, you can affect the straps and wash away the flame retardant on the seat. Which you really don’t want to remove.

10 Likes

Odoban. Found in pet section at Walmart or near other cleaners usually at the bottom shelf

1 Like

CarSeat Safety is a good place to learn! Always follow the manual or contact the manufacturer, your CarSeat can fail to properly protect your kids if it’s not cleaned the correct way. Most things cannot be used on carseats as it causes the materials to break down and become dangerous in the event of an accident

9 Likes

Do not get the plastic part of the seat wet or it will compromise it. Only wash the seat cover EXACTLY how the user manual stats. Do NOT submerge seatbelt straps

10 Likes

I’d clean the seat of my car. Most likely if you’ve cleaned the car seat and it still smell it’s on the seat in your car too. Good luck.

2 Likes

Vinegar takes the smell out and you can spray the straps with it also … then keep a cup of it in the car over night to get the smell to

1 Like

You should be able to remove the cover of the car seat and wash in ur washer, and clean the seat itself with bleach.

1 Like

Car seats have lots of nooks, crannies and holes. It may not be the toddler car seat cover that smells but urine sitting in the base or the actual seats of the car itself that smells.

9 Likes

It probably leaked onto your actual car’s seat too so you might want to clean that as well. Oh and Odoban is great

1 Like

I take my kid’s car seat completely apart and wash all the fabric then put it back together. I’ve done it with all my kids and multiple times. Never have an issue car seats are pretty easy to get apart and back together luckily

2 Likes

Read your manual! Do NOT soak the straps … if you do the manufacturer will tell you to throw out the seat … also not all seat covers are machine washable ! No bleach products either

2 Likes

Please read the manual on how to clean your seat. You can Google a pdf version if you no longer have it. Some seat covers can be washed in the washing machine with mild detergent, some need to be hand washed. I don’t think any car seats allow harsh chemicals, baking soda, etc. They can ruin the fire resistance of the car seat covers, in case of a bad accident. Also check the website for your seats manufacturer. You can probably email them and get a new cover for much cheaper than replacing the seat.

2 Likes

White vinegar will remove the smell. Just add 1/4 c to your wash. No fabric softener! If it smells like vinegar just do a regular wash and you’ll be set.

2 Likes

it’s important to check the owner’s manual on what is allowed and not allowed to clean the car seat. they are very specific in how to clean. you can also call the manufacturer who will help you.

2 Likes

You can set it out in the sun and the sun will help get the smell out. Just make sure you don’t leave it out if it starts raining or anything because if it gets soaked, it compromises the integrity of the seat.

1 Like

White vinegar with water and Dawn dish soap. The vinegar gets rid of the smell, if you clean the inside of your car just leave your doors open for a bit and the vinegar smell will go away too.

1 Like

You can wash cover in the washer and clean the underneath of the cover with your fav spray cleaning stuff

2 Likes

Spray it with vinegar and let it sit in the sun

3 Likes

Urine smell can be gotten out easily with two simple sprays. One is nature’s miracle you can find at pet stores and Walmart now as well, this product also works well on vomit smells. Easy to use don’t have to take the seat apart. You will need to soak it down good. The 2nd product is kids n pets Walmart has it as well

If the pee smell is that bad your baby needs to be checked for a bladder infection or UTI. Good luck!

1 Like

We use mypetpeed for anything bodily fluid related. Got it because of my cat and I’ve used it for everything from the car seat, mattresses, couches, you name it!

Take the car seat to the car wash and spray with the high powered soap and rinse. Also works for the stroller.

I take the cover off and wash in my washing machine on gentle hang dry then wipe the seat out with My scentsy counter clean. put the seat back together and spray my whole car with my scentsy fresh (I sell it .it’s amazing . gets smoke smells out too.

Take apart and throw the covering into the wash with soap and some Lysol

Every single person commenting on this suggesting ANYTHING other than a mild soap and water or mild detergent, you’ve probably already ruined your carseats and they need replacing. The amount of people that don’t take carseat safety seriously when it comes to their own kids is disgusting. You can’t take the easy way for everything. STOP hosing down your carseats, STOP using harsh chemicals on ANY part of the seat!

To the OP, check your manual or Google the exact carseat to look it up. My oldest had an accident in her carseat a few years ago, putting it in the sun after washing it with Tide free and clear did the trick for me. I also called Safety 1st and they said it was okay to use baby wipes on the straps and the actual seat to clean the gunk.

1 Like

You have to take the cover off but remember exactly how you did it the straps usually can slide off metal things in the back but make sure you remember because if you forget you might as well get a new one :joy: mine did this the other day

1 Like

I just throw it in the washer and add softener. Try adding the beads and see if it helps.

Sprinkle some baking soda and carpet refresh powder on the seat and the car and if possible leave it outside overnight to air out.

I sprinkle baking soda then pour over with vinegar I then throw it in the washer with 2 tide or gain pods , smells like new

This thread is troublesome. Please refer to your car seat manufacturers manual. Alot of these suggestions will ruin the integrity of the seat. The car seat is the difference between life and death should you be in an accident and you should only wash it per the instructions.

It’s likely the pee is elsewhere not just in the car seat. I’d have a detailer come out and clean the car and maybe consider buying a new seat.

Odoban works great, we use it to remove urine smells in the nursing home, Walmart carries it

The smell comes out when you put the cover in the washing machine and wash it the rest of it I would spray down with bleach let it set for about 5-10 minutes and then either one scrub it really really good and all the nooks and crannies or get a high pressure water hose and hose it out and let it dry by the time you set it outside it dries the dryer is done

I take the cover off, throw in washer alone for a good wash… then I squirt dawn and wipe down then hose down the chair and let air dry over night.

Read the manual on how to take it apart. I can take all the fabric off my kids carseats and wash them

My mom uses diluded ammonia and detergent and washes them twice. Oila! No more pee smell.

Chances are it’s leaked onto your actual seats. Cars shampoo and plenty of scrubbing.

Never had the pee problem, we’re not quite there yet but he’s gotten car sick a couple times & i just take all the covers off, wash & dry like anything else… the straps come out too but seems a bit of a pain in the ass so i just wipe the crap outta them with lysol wipes & also wipe down the rest of it before putting the covers back on. Every bit of his seat is just as good as when i got it. As for your car seats… um maybe try baking soda after soaking up as much as you can with paper towels or an actual towel. Then get some urine spray from the store, they have different kinds for humans & pets.

you can look up on youtube how to take the cloth off of your car seat. it’s very tedious on some of the graco ones…used borax, laundry detergent & apple cider vinegar

White vinegar…soak excess with paper towels. Sprinkle baking soda over and leave for several hours. Vacuum once fully dry

I remove the cover and put it in the washing machine and then hang dry

You can wash the seat cover but the straps can only be cleaned with water. I didn’t know this and after I did it, graco sent me a brand new car seat at no charge!! Cleaning the straps with any type of chemical or even oils makes them break down over time. I had no idea…

I take the whole thing apart and wash it on Sanitary in the washing machine the fabric at least the other i wipe down with Clorox wipes

Spray with vinegar. It breaks down the thing causing the smell

White Vinager!!! I use it on everything to get the pee or vomit smell out

I’ve taken car seats to car washes and cleansed them. Then sat them outside to dry in the sun. It actually has worked great. Just as long as you don’t need them ASAP.

The entire cloth cover comes off of mine and I just throw it in the washing machine. Then the base can be cleaned as needed. It’s not like that with all car seats?

Take the seat off the fabric it detaches and wash it in machine

We use Lysol in the bleach part of our washer. It works wonders.

Remove the car seat covers and throw in the wash

Make sure to wash the car too the seat drains into your cars seat even if you clean the car seat it will still reek until you take the seat out and wash the base and the actual seat of the car

Baking soda for a while and vacuum it up after at least half an hour

#1: Give that child more water. Their urine shouldn’t smell that bad.

1 Like

Did u take the car seat cover off and throw it in a washer it helped for us

Take it to car wash that you wash your self hose it!! It works everytime for me

What do you mean with soap? You put it in the washer… use reg detergent and that Lysol sanitizer detergent

Dawn dish soap and baking powder. Use a little bit of lemon juoce or even melt a candle down and put in Tupperware so every time your car sits in sun the wax makes it smell. Just saw that on FB few days ago

Baking soda. Put heaps on and leave over night then shake off excess then vacuum.

Leave in the sun before drying! For some reason the sun bakes out the smell. Works with dog urine to

Dawn dish soap and Odor ban. The odorban is washing machine safe. I literally use it on everything in my home and my bnb properties I clean.