How do you clean a carseat?

I use Furry Freshness. It’s for pets, but it nutralizes the odors. So worth the money. I use it for every stain I find.

Car Seat Safety For The Littles (CSSFTL) they can help you. They’re trained to answer these types of questions. You’re not supposed to use hard chemicals on the seat especially not the straps. The Clorox wipes and other cleaners eat away at the straps and compromise the seat. I learned this when another mom posted about it in the car seat safety page.

Not sure if yours does but mine comes apart to where I could take it off and throw it in the washer and spray down the plastic part

Enzymatic cleaning stuff for cat and dog urine in the pet section

I’d put it in the washer by itself with a full cup of downy unstoppable beads. Also use tide, but put tide on the actual carseat with no water before you wash it.

Take the cover off and wash in the wash machine and air dry

Take it apart and out it in the washer

Dawn dish soap it then toss it in the wash

Vinegar and baking soda

1 Like

Lemon/Citrus

If you have cloth seats, you need them to get them professionally cleaned

Clean it with vinegar

There should be clips where elastic is holding the cousins onto the plastic you can take that off and throw it in the washer and dryer and then use cleaning spray and clorox Wipes on the plastic part

Take it out of the car clean real good with pinesol n water n not generic pinesol" leave it outside to dry n to air out u should be good after that

Literally all of these comments but maybe 2 are in violation of car seat manuals, which make the car seat unsafe and risks killing your child in a crash. It looks fine but it’s 100% not.

Consult your specific car seat manual, call the car seat manufacturer line (for example, call Graco if it’s a Graco seat), or post this to Car Seats for the Littles

Most of the manuals allow mild detergent on the detachable cover on the gentle cycle in the wash and then air dry.

Do NOT use any other chemicals, including baking soda, dawn dish soap, vinegar etc. They’re waaaay too harsh and will compromise the seat.

Do NOT wet any other part of the seat. If the straps or base get soaked in water it compromises the safety of the seat as well. Use a damp wash cloth to clean the straps and plastic. Leaving in the sun will get rid of the smell. I had the same thing happen with puke and didn’t think I’d ever get rid of the puke smell but the sun got rid of it completely.

I highly recommend posting your ask to the Car Seats for Littles page because they’re all CPST’s, meaning it’s their entire job to know everything their is to know about car seats and car seat safety.

People need to stop giving unsafe advice. The amount of comments recommending vinegar, an erosive chemical, is absolutely insane.

I was always told too follow the car seat manual.

Buy some cat pee spray at pet store

Clean it then febreze it

Vinegar and laundry soap in the washer

My kittens pissed all in my son’s carseat. We didnt travel for like a week and it was soaked with cat piss. Took the seat cover off and in the wash with some vinegar, and then the seat itself I used animal odor eliminating spray, I bet it would work the same for baby pee! It legit does wonders!

Pour baking soda all over the spot and let it sit overnight then wash in the washer with detergent. Wipe down all the plastic with soap and water

Add some vinegar when you wash

Try febreeze for pet oders.