How do you clean a carseat?

Baking soda and vinegar

White Vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. Spray the area with the vinegar, while wet apply a lot of bicarbonate and let it dry. Than vacuum it up

Did you wash the actual car seat also, or just the cover?

After reading these comments…

Just buy a new car seat, if you can. :person_shrugging:

Take it apart. Wash it.

I pretreat with Lysol Hydrogen Peroxide spray and wash.

I just use this. It works. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I use it to get out all smells

OdoBan is a life saver for me

Odoban, don’t Dilute it

depending on the brand if you put in a request for new parts they will send you a new car seat for free

1 Like

Try a carpet cleaner for pet urine. It sounds crazy but it will attack those stinky enzymes

I always took the cover and handwashed. We use vinegar for any pee smells and accidents.

I say my daughter’s out on the sun after cleaning it and it worked

I use natures miracle it’s for pets but works on pee smell

Vinegar in the wash. Read what your car seat says though. Some you can’t put in the washer.

1 Like

lol take the cover off n wash it, really?

Scrub it with shaving cream. It gets rid of urine odors

Go to Wal-Mart and buy another one

This and gain laundry soap has helped me.

What you are now smelling is the bacteria. The pet store sells Natures Miracle. It’s a liquid that you spray on and it will kill the bacteria.

Odoban in the washer with regular detergent and wipe down the plastic base with disinfecting wipes.

Car Seats for the Littles

baking soda and vinegar

Hello, I am a nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technician and I’m happy to help you get your child’s seat clean. Here is a great article regarding this topic. You’re welcome to pm me, if you prefer! Car seats have very specific cleaning instructions and this varies by manufacturer as well. Tips:
-read the manual and then, read it again. If you don’t have it anymore, you can find an online copy through Google. Some seats allow a machine wash, some are handwash only. Some allow a machine dry, some have to air dry. Without the manual, you won’t know what yours requires.
-do not hose down the seat.
-put everything in the sun for as long as possible. The sun is an excellent odor reducing tool!
-do not submerge/ soak the harness or lower anchor strap.
-to quicken drying time, tightly roll up the seat cover and other soft goods in a dry towel. This allows the dry towel to absorb the water from the seat cover.

For more information, check out In The Know Car Seat Pro and The Car Seat Files. The page is run by me and the group is run entirely by nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians.

1 Like

Resolve urine destroyer

Odoban is amazing stuff :heart_eyes:

Jess Henkle so much unsafe advice here, yikes :see_no_evil:

follow the manufacturers guidelines in the manual. look it up online if you don’t have it. you cannot use chemicals like bleach, oxiclean, odorban, etc. just mild detergent.

Take it apart and throw it in the washer

SO many bad answers here. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Contact the manufacturer. You shouldn’t use anything acidic like vinegar or anything like Odoban. Just a mild detergent. You can utilize the sun to remove the smell or put the car seat in a plastic bag with a box of baking soda (opened but not put on the car seat).

1 Like

Lysol laundry sanitizer

Car Seats for the Littles is a great group for all car seat related questions.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you clean a car seat?

Vinegar get pee and puke smell out but be prepared to air out your car for a few days

9 Likes

Make sure to clean the seat of the car too, the car seats don’t hold liquid so it could be the car.

10 Likes

If the car seat cover comes off, put it in the washer with some vinegar for a quick wash then throw in scent beads or scent booster and some scented laundry soap.

3 Likes

I’ve always taken the car seat cover off & washed them

7 Likes

Please make sure to read your carseat manual to see how to clean your seat without compromising the integrety of the materials!
The best way to get rid of the smell is to clean per manual then let it sit in the sun. The uv rays will help neutralize the odors.

*Vinegar and chemicals are not allowed to be used on any carseat. Your manual will state not to use harsh chemical or cleaners and state what is allowed per what they tested and approved.

14 Likes

Hose it off in the driveway and let it dry in the sun :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Take it off and wash it with vinegar, but air dry. Never dry the cover in a dryer.

4 Likes

I’ve always taken the cover off and thrown it in the washing machine, and wiped down the plastic underneath with soap and water.

3 Likes

I always use vinegar to get out pee smell from blankets and toys

2 Likes

Damn how many times did the kid pee? Usually you just throw it in the washer and wash all the plastic down with some lyson and a hose. Never heard of the smell lingering after you wash.

5 Likes

Odoban. Can get it at Walmart, Sam’s club, or dollar general. They use in daycare centers too. Can kill all bacteria/germs, and comes in eucalyptus or lavender scent. For something like a car seat, spray a GENEROUS amount let sit for like 5 mins and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Then air dry.
It also will work like fabreeze, as a fabric freshener.

3 Likes

Take the cover off and wash in your washer, spray the plastic down and wipe with cleaner

Put bicarbonate soda on dry, rub it in leave for 12 hrs then hoover it off it will remove odor xx

Take cover off and wash it. I know it’s a pain if it’s the one with buckles, straps but that’s the only way to clean it.

3 Likes

You look up how to clean your brand of car seat per the manufacturer advice otherwise you risk damaging your child’s seat ans void any possible warranty and continued improper cleaning could lead to carseat failure in an accident

3 Likes

Arm and Hammer Baking soda. Sprinkle it on, leave overnight, vacuum out.

1 Like

Take the seat apart and wash it in the washing machine wipe the car down or get it detailed

Vinegar!! We had yogurt milk pee etc in our car seat vinegar got the smell out!

1 Like

Take the whole car seat to the car wash. That way even the plastic gets a good wash. Let it dry in the sun.

6 Likes

Baking soda paste. It gets rid of urine smell pretty well. You have to let it sit on and dry on. Should be able to vacuum it up after it dries.

I’ve always washed mine with wash powder and comfort conditioner, I put the powder directly in the drum then clean the plastic bit off the seat with hot soap water (fairy liquid) then wipe down with white vinegar (star drops) x

Take the fabric off and wash it but do not use cleaners in the plastic or remove any of the padding

Baking soda also absorbs oder but that would be a time to set

Baby shampoo water and a rag… if the smell doesnt come out message the company who made the seat and see about getting a whole new cover

2 Likes

Not to remove the smell but I used puppy training pads (don’t judge :rofl:) for when there was an accident I just took the pad out and put a new one in. You just lay it in the car seat (may have to cut it to go around The buckle on the bottom)
To help with future accidents!

Most car seats you are able to take the cushion part off and throw in the washing machine on delicate cycle my kids are clumsy and like to spill chocolate milk in theirs :rofl: so I know from experience

Throw it away & buy a new one😅

Did it seep out of the car seat onto the actual car seat?

Normal wash with detergent but also add borax

Go to the darm good will and get another one, just make sure it’s not expired (yeah they expire)

Also try pullups till the peeing in under control smh

Vinegar baking soda and you might need to detail the cars seat as well as the car seat

1 Like

Baking soda or powder arm & Hammer carpet powder

Check your manual. Otherwise the safety is compromised.

2 Likes

Ah now lads air you need plenty of air the. *,Smell will dissapear

I just use the washing machine

I put mine in the washer

Try baking soda an lemon juice ? Worth a try good luck

Vinegar and baking soda

Power wash at car wash!!

I used vinager and it worked

Check youtube for your type of carseat

Just for moms to know you can buy a cover that goes over your back seat that is completely waterproof for things like this. I know that they are quite expensive but I’m telling you what I rather pay $150 for car seat cover it have to clean urine out of my seats.

Throw away buy another

Clean the back seat too

I put the car seat pad in a garment bag and pop it in the washing machine. You can also use a old pillow case and a hair tie on the end then pop it in the washer machine so it doesn’t tear the fabric up. I had puke everywhere you could think of and pee when my daughter was sick. We had to take her to the dr for the flu. But omg what a mess. Yw

Vinegar and baking soda. I spray the vinegar, sprinkle some baking soda on top, let it sit for a while, then vacuum.

This stuff works amazing to get rid of urine smells (and vomit)

1 Like

I wash the cover by hands first with dishwasher, and then in the washer machine with hot water and dreff and softener, then i let it dry by itself because dryer machine can make damage on it. Then i taje the rest of the car seat and i wash it with Clorox clean up un the shower.

There should be a way where you can take the whole car seat pad out and put it in the washer. I could with mine. Just turn it over and you should see ways to unhook it and throw it in the washer. It may be a task taking out the straps as well but it can be washed it just takes a lot of patience LOL

There is a product (if you can find it these days- keep looking) called kids and pets. Spray your car upholstery with this and smell the difference

I took covers and all fabric off and washed them, then wiped down plastic parts with disinfectant. Put it back together exactly as it came apart.

Jess Henkle so much unsafe advice here

yellow style Simpsons cartoon portrait inbox message

1 Like
1 Like

I dont mind being labled “that mom” or whatever.
There is ALOT of very unsafe advice being shared here.

The only safe way to clean your carseat is by how the manufacture states in the manual.

Just because something is natural, doesnt mean it wont compromise the materials that literally are used to hold your child’s life.

4 Likes

Remove it completely and pop in the washer!

1 Like

Check your manual for cleaning instructions. But Most car seats now a days, the fabric comes off. Take the fabric off, put it in the washer on cold for a delicate cycle & line dry or if you have a no heat cycle on your dryer that will work also.

Put the car seat out in the sun. The sun helps to get the smell out. I’ve done this with vomit in the car seat and it’s worked perfectly. Wash it first and set it in the sun to dry.

1 Like

Why did he not have diapers?

1 Like

Vinegar is definitely a great start. Definitely dish soap too, especially dawn or gain. And yes I’m sure potentional hazards are associated with this :roll_eyes:. But for the last 50 years, and 80% of us mommas wash it with whatever works. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Baking soda vinegar and laundry soap

Vinager works wonders

We stripped ours back as our sin was sick on a car journey allll over … we stuck the cover in the wash and I disinfectant all the straps that came off and scrubbed the plastic with soapy water it soon dried off I the sun x

Take the cover off throw it in the wash if they smell is stiol there then use water baking soda vinger and lundry soap and scrub it with that