How do you deal with family that plays favorites?

If they can’t choose to love your kids the same and thats the end for you then let it be the end. When you have kids you need to find someone who chooses to love them as much as you do.

3 Likes

I’m from and have a blended family. I don’t say " step mom or brotherd" o say mom and brothers. There kids are my niece and nephews. And the same with my kids to them. My kids know the truth because they are older and my once niece is starting to talk about the difference in last names but we are all family. And that’s how it should be.

Leave and cleave… :green_heart:

1 Like

I’d have told them where to shove that tablet. That thing would not have come into my house. They can shove those socks too.

1 Like

Time to go…children aren’t property… they should all be treated exactly the same…and if you cant do that then there is something very wrong with those people…

1 Like

Everyone here wants to talk about the step grandchild getting less, feeling unwanted whatever. I was in the opposite situation. I didn’t have much & had to divide between 4 kids. I made it equal. Then my (now) ex’s kid went to his other family where he was lavished with gifts. He received more from Mom, grandparents & other relatives than I was able to give all 4. Of course he bragged & broke what I gave him. I could’ve used that money on my own children. It made my kids feel like shit. So the next year I spent my money on my kids knowing he’s get more from his family. I was yelled at for favoring my bio kids. Oh well. My kids aren’t second rate & shouldn’t have to sacrifice for their brother so he could show off to them. My point is maybe grandma in this story knows that OPs kids will get plenty from the other side. OP feels her kids are entitled to extra gifts. Sorry. Step grandma isn’t obligated to be equal. She has the right to spoil her grand daughter. Since they know this will happen they should prepare & bring gifts for the others. Or schedule for OPs kids to go to their other family the day they go to this grandma’s.

I will never forgive my mil. My soon to be 19 year old was 8 at the time and my son (my husband’s biological son-her “real” grandchild) was 5 and they were with my husband visiting. They heard the ice cream man and my son asked his grandma for $. She gave my son some dollars and my daughter asked where here ice cream money was and she said, “you aren’t my granddaughter”. Luckily, my husband stood up to her and said something. We lost touch with them for years. When we had our 6 year old together, they didn’t even want to come see her. We bought our first house together 4 years ago and they have yet to say congratulations to my husband. We keep it generic with them now. Went and saw them for Christmas spent an entire 5 min talking about weather. Then left.

2 Likes

Yeah, I went through that on both sides as a child and having children. It is hurtful to the child and regardless if they say nothing it is always there “why am I not as good?” Talk to your husband if he brushes it off or fights you on it leave. Never let anyone treat your child like they are less important

I have two kids before my marriage now. It never bothered me because my two oldest got from there real grand parents and father and so on. We can only control are self. Does there side of the family give them ? It my be a different story if they don’t see the other side. We can treat kids the same put I know most people don’t.

it is PAST TIME to LEAVE

1 Like

Yeah definitely leave!

I’ve been with my partner for 4 years and i have 2 girls now aged 14 & 16 and his girl is 13 and not once had he treated mine better than his own… Yes he loves them all and i know he loves his daughter that little more but he doesn’t play favorites. All our girls are treated exactly the same and i treat them the same also but if i was u i would be either leaving him or telling him how you’re feeling and asking him and his family to change… I definitely agree with Mel Wilkes …favouritism does definitely damage families.

That’s toxic but it’s not shocking. I don’t think it means his family dislikes your kids though. Sometimes people don’t even think about things before they do them or the affects they might have. You should be more angry with your spouse he CHOSE to be with you knowing you had kids. It also sounds like he has allowed his parents to continue on with gifting only their biological child and giving your kids whatever.

I agree with Dwight Ross. It will never be forgotten and always a hurt for the child.
I grew up with a stepmother and step siblings. It was very clear where I stood in the family. I’m 54 now and it still hurts. My father passed last year.
Now I really have no contact with my steps.
And really don’t care.

I was treated like that as a small child. My mother married a nice man who adopted me but his family never excepted me as his and always treated me terrible. Never liked his family, not even his parents. To this day I have issues and I’m in my 60’s

Never let somebody treat your children like they are less than anybody else. Your husband should stand up for all his kids.

Idk why ppl are surprised by this. Blood is thicker. Just saying.

If you thimk it’s time to leave then it’s time

I left my ex husband for this reason. Well one of the reasons. He never treated my son like our kids wee had together I said bye!

So they got their granddaughter a tablet but not your other kids? What did your other children’s family get for the daughter you have with your husband?

I don’t deal with favorites. It’s not right. They all need to be treated the same imo