How do you handle toddler tantrums in stores?

My son is just about a month shy of his 2nd birthday, and he’s changing from this mostly peaceful toddler to a monster. I don’t know what to do. I need to go to grocery stores and other places to run errands, but only after a few minutes of being there, he gets out of control. I don’t know how to handle it. Yesterday I walked into Walmart, and he was mad because I wouldn’t open a toy he found for him, and he started trying to throw himself back and cry. I put the toy down and walked right out (I was in and out in less than 5 minutes). I went home without the things I need. How do you guys handle your toddlers?

33 Likes

I learned if you take them somewhere like Wal-Mart, you tell them if they act good they can get a toy. If you start out this way its a lot easier.

4 Likes

A lot of times we pick out a hot wheels car for .99 and I do just open the stupid thing so he has something to play with. We just give the cashier the box at checkout never had anyone say anything to us hes 3 now with an extensive hot wheels collection lmao

2 Likes

Tantrum= were leaving the store right away.

12 Likes

Either ignore them and continue with your errands/shopping or leave and take them home. Also take advantage of curbside pickup. Almost everywhere offers it now.

4 Likes

I beat my kids asses. Period. Maybe it’s because of the way I was raised, but My parents didn’t put up with that bullshit and neither did I (my youngest is 7 now). No, I did not throw them to the ground and beat the shit out of them, but yes, I did smack a hand, smack a mouth or smack a butt.

I’m an OLD SCHOOL PARENT of 30yrs, You handled it the way I did, Do NOT barter with your children for acceptable behavior it’s to be EXPECTED not NEGOTIATED for. Do NOT Cave, after a few times of LEAVING with nothing he will understand Fit throwing gets him NOWHERE! Good job Momma!!!

15 Likes

Leave or let them cry it out. You can’t not get what you need.

I always bring snacks or go straight to the snack aisle and give him something tasty to munch on and keep occupied…

2 Likes

I put my daughter in the cart and get what I need. I avoid the toy section unless I want her to get a toy.

2 Likes

Orange tic tacks :joy::joy::upside_down_face::woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Stand your ground do not reward the behavior. It will set a precedence that if they are good they will get something…when they act up cry throw tantrums. Say I can say when your done we will finish up. Stand and ignore it. If anyone says anything looks at you crazy. Look at them and say keep walking . He/she will be done in a minute.

2 Likes

Watch super nanny
She gives them their own little list and lets them do shopping…

3 Likes

I personally don’t have a toddler myself but I’ve heard of “extinction” working where you just don’t engage them until they start to calm down and then talk to them about why they got upset. Although I can understand why you wouldn’t want to do this in a store because of the looks you’ll get

1 Like

I just put him in the cart if he starts throwing a fit and let him throw it while I finish getting what I need

A lot of Amazon, delivery, and pick up. Sometimes I do have to walk out of the store without what I need 🤦

Involve him in the shopping… let him help find what you are looking for, let him put it in the cart, let him pick out his own little snack, etc.

1 Like

I used to talk to my daughters in the car before going into the store. “Today we are just here to buy the things we need, we are not going to buy any toys. It’s ok if you look at them and play with them, just remember we are not buying them today.” I never had to deal with them throwing any tantrums in public places. I would allow them to carry it throughout the store but would remind nicely them every now and then that they’d have to put it back before we paid for our things. I would have them put the toy away themselves and talk to them once we got in the car and thanked them for behaving so well and listening to me.

2 Likes

I do everything possible to avoid going to the store with my kids, thankfully most stores have curbside pick up now :smirk: but life happens and sometimes I do have to take my children with me, I have very well behaved children some how but if they’re just having a day of it I ignore them like my life depends on it and they normally give up :woman_shrugging:t3:

My daughter is 6 now. She’s my oldest. She use to take awful fits. It was beyond humiliating. I’d shop super fast with her in the cart and apologize to everyone and get out as fast as I could :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2: I wish I had more advice. But I feel you. It was soooooooo hard

When my son was that age and he would pull the same thing in the store. I would pull him aside and give him a talk outside of the store and after he quit his Ballin… I walked back into the store and continued to shop for what I need. This process took about 10 times for him to be able to understand how his tantrum was not going to be accepted as behavior.

I think we as mothers leave the store immediately because we feel embarrassed or that we’ll be judged if we do just let them cry it out. But sometimes we need to grocery shop because we don’t have eating out money and if my toddler is on one and throws a fit then so be it. Outsiders do not know what you’re dealing with. They don’t know what you’re going through on a daily basis or the stress level you are trying to manage. So let them look or stare or judge. If that’s the main reason for leaving, stand your ground and get what you need to get done complete. Recently my 3 year old has been having tantrums which I know is stemming from not receiving the attention she’s used to (we just welcomed a little into the family so attention has been divided between our now 2 baby girls :sweat_smile:)

Some days she just needs to be reassured that I’m here and I hear her. She’s little and very communicative but she’s also still only 3 and gets overwhelmed and pissed. I used to lose patience and fight fire with fire not realizing that her tantrum really was just her way of saying I need you mom. Sometimes a few words of assurance and a hug go a long way. My mom calls is redirecting, essentially distracting them from whatever it is that set them off. Maybe giving them a task, “help mommy find this!” Or “can you hold mommas grocery list?” to let them be involved and make the trip fun for them without having to promise a toy or treat.

Good luck mama! Breathe :woman_in_lotus_position: You got this :heartbeat:

4 Likes

That was perfect. Make sure you talk to him before heading out, make sure he knows exactly what you expect of him. It’s great to big a big boy, mommy lil helper-those encouraging words prepare them of what you expect. Really good job leaving when you did. It showed YOU ARE IN CHARGE-i always said that Since I’m the mom I’m in charge when you become a mom or boss you get to be in charge.

I have to bring snacks and if she gets real out of control I give my phone for her to bed watch videos so I can finish getting what I need.

With my niece I would walk away and loudly say who brought that kid lol (I left her with her dad or mom don’t worry) my kid I try to ignore it and redirect her if people have kids they know. I had a women tell me not to get upset or panic because I was in a store because she is a mom and isn’t judging since she’s been there. If people are judging they will see when they have their own kids

1 Like

I let my daughter have that tantrum, and ignoring the behavior. The way I see it, I’m sure at some point in their lives, they had to deal with a screaming toddler. Then you have the other group which are moms thanking Jesus it isn’t their’s :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

1 Like

Put that boy in a cart and shop for what you need. Ignore his rants. He’ll be okay and so will you. That’s how I handle my monster

2 Likes

They are trying to learn how to manage big feelings… patience and calmness is key!! You can’t help someone calm down if you yourself are frazzled. Breathe soothe proceed. My almost 2 year old did this just today and it took about 3-5 mins of my time to help him calm down and feel safe again. Then we proceeded to get what we came for and left.

2 Likes

I used to bring gameboys with me and put them in the car type carts. They pretty much stayed entertained. But on those occasions when they were having a fit I just let them. I never left a store. I always told them if they wanted to have a fit they could but I was going to finish what I came here for. Their tantrums never lasted very long. Now when I’m in a store and a mom has a fussy child I always smile and tell her we’ve all been there!

When I was little my mom said I did it once and she did it right back to embarrass me to show me what I was doing to her so many parents praised my mom for it to teach a valuable lesson. Now my son who is going to be 5… but when he was 2 he would do the same thing… was told it was due to his ears with the tubes or ear infections so the loud noises bothered him… but then it all turned out he had autism and realizing that toy was something to help his mind off the surroundings… be patient with your 2 year old…

I’m sorry to hear that Momma. I dont know what to suggest, other than I just went through this exact thing with both my kids a couple weeks ago. I just put my daughter in the cart and I was taking her back out to leave

My son is 2 and definitely in the terrible 2 stage. But he LOVES shopping. He will sit in the cart patiently cause we made it fun for him. He always gets a “prize” if he is good while there.

1 Like

I’m a Mom of five kids, four boys and a little girl. Please don’t get in the habit of buying them things in hopes they’ll behave. It might start out with hot wheels as someone above mentioned, but by encouraging that behavior, next thing you know you’ll be buying $60 video games. I would suggest bringing one of their toys from home with you to keep them entertained, playing a game with them like picking up various things (can goods, cereal, whatever) and teaching them colors or counting, or singing various nursery rhymes as soon as you get out the car.

Eventually your child will be conditioned that this is the norm. These three things were my go-to activities for my twin boys, and as my other boys got older they fell in routine too. Don’t allow yourself to be overwhelmed as the parent- if your child acts crazy just ignore them (and the stranger stares) completely and/or redirect their attention. Trust me, it works. Maybe not the first or second time, but if you start singing Old McDonald from the car seat to the store cart, you can make up a bunch of animals by the time you check out. I went from pigs to lions & monkeys on the farm! When you sing in different voices and act silly by making faces and crazy animal sounds, they’ll be so entertained by you, it’ll be a great distraction.

My boys are now 20, 20, 18, 17 and my daughter is 11, and I survived with a lot of prayer, structure and discipline. So will you Mama!

As it relates to tantrums anytime- after about 10 mins of them screaming and you ignoring them- they’ll eventually get the hint. This is an old picture, but a glimpse into what was once my reality. I’m rooting for you toddler Moms, it’ll be ok! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I used to make it fun for my girls they would help me shop and earn something if they behaved

I did the if your good thing you get a toy but I will never do it again and then every time you go somewhere they expect a toy. In my opinion its better not to start that. Then they expect it every time you go somewhere . I learned my lesson never to do that again.

1 Like

I did just what you did ,I let my kids pick something and then we shopped if they acted up we left and they ( who ever was acting up ) got nothing. Plus I drove thu McDonald’s and got me and any good child something and tbe bad choice child got non . It was tough but I only had to do it a few times then it took only a quick reminder in tbe store to help them remember the drill . Unfortunately punishment is felt by more then the person making bad choices.

3 Likes

Pretend I don’t know them :joy:

4 Likes

My daughter is 17 months and she’s a little wild child too! I feel you. I’m still figuring out what works best for us. I try to time the store at a good point where she has napped, eaten, and can just have fun and shop with me. That’s not always the perfect scenario though, and for those cases I remind myself that one day she will be the president of the USA or a gang leader. :upside_down_face: either way she has very good leadership skills :joy::joy::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I always explained we can’t open these things until we pay for them. There would be whines still, but they would settle down after realizing they do get to keep it, it just needs to be paid for first. Every child is different and I’ve been one to walk out during a tantrum too.

My son is 5 now but he used to pick out a couple books and flip through those while I shopped.

No matter what u do or don’t do ppl will look at u funny or with nasty looks … so comming from a mom that has 4 kids I say do what u need to do when they had enough they will stop put them in the cart and go about ur stuff :slight_smile: no need to worry about other ppl just do what u do … ppl judge no matter what .

2 Likes

You take them out to the car and tell them we’re going to sit here until you can behave. Yes, kids have tantrums and meltdowns. That doesn’t mean you need to subject other customers to it though. Do NOT bribe them with a new toy or candy either. Even if it’s only $1. You’ll just teach them that they get something every time they go out and that is NOT an ok habit to start.

5 Likes

One slap in the butt will fix them n say No I said

2 Likes

Stand there and stare at them with the death glare. Then when they stop, in a stern voice, tell them that was naughty and you don’t act that way! Then proceed. My kids threw fits(especially the youngest) and tried to really test me. If ppl stare at you, just stare back and say what!? I sat next to my fit throwing daughter, some lady came up and complimented me for being so patient. :blush:

I totally 100% feel your mama. I have a 22 month old son who has the most horrible temper tantrums every time I go shopping. To be quite honest I just let him deal with his temper tantrum and continue on with my shopping. If his tantrum gets too much out of control where he starts just thrash himself back and forth in his stroller, then I put my stuff down get down to his level and try to to calm him down

I let my son help my shop. He is well behaved when it comes to walking by my side and doesnt run off so I tell him what we need and if he can reach it/isnt too heavy or breakable i let him grab it and put it in the trolley.
We’ve set very clear guidlines for him that he will not get a present every single shopping trip. And if he complains he misses out on his next potential present.

Now coming up to christmas, I’ve set no new toys until after santa comes. So we take a photo of what he wants and send it to “santa” (which my second phone is saved in my main phone as Santa)

1 Like

Throw cold water on him. Believe me he will stop those tantrums.

3 Likes

When my daughter was just about 2 she started to throw a fit in Walmart, so I threw myself down and kicked and screamed… everyone came running to that aisle. I stood up brushed myself off, grabbed her hand and we continued shopping. She never ever did that again!!! The look on her face was priceless. She is almost 30 years old now.

9 Likes

I let him bring a toy in with him, and if he still throws a fit :woman_shrugging:t3: he’s 2 that’s what they do

2 Likes

Nicely grab his hand and esciurt him out of the dtore-- let him finish his tantrum there. No audience – shorter hissy fit.

First, we put our toddler in the cart. The wild child has no freedom. Second, she helps. She holds the list for me, and we play ISpy for the things we need, then she gets to scratch them off the list. We rarely buy toys or treats, so she never expects them. We probably look ridiculous with our hands as binoculars, but we spend shopping trips laughing instead of screaming.

10 Likes

Kids throw tantrums for attention, I would literally turn and walk away. You can throw a fit alone. (& just for you Karen’s, no not far enough that I couldn’t see them) but far enough that they thought I was leaving. They didn’t want to be left there alone so I would explain that I won’t walk with you if you act like that. Did that a couple times, my kids stopped throwing fits real quick!

4 Likes

I’ve started to take snacks and that seems to be helping

My daughter at 2 was alot more complex. Oh she threw some spectacular ones.
She has epilepsy and complex sen. Her meds sent her crazy (she would bite me until I bled)
In shops when she started i would use my foot to slide her outta the way of people and stand and look at whatever was in the aisle next to us. I spent 20 odd mins looking at an ugly jumper once. When she decided she was done we would walk away.
After a while I stopped taking her for a while. Then started to pop in for 1 thing. For example some yogurts. This was mainly to desensitise her to all of the sensory stuff
Shes now mainly fine which is amazing for a little girl with her additional needs.
I did once have an old trout come right up to me to tut. So I stood still and extended my hand to give her the finger. Because I am a grown up mature mother/adult

5 Likes

I don’t give a crap what others think. I ignore my tantrum throwing kids and accomplish my mission. I don’t negotiate with my kids and After five or six times of this happening they figured out I don’t pay attention to them and they just don’t do it as much anymore. Only happens now if they’re really tired. I don’t have the luxury of buying them stuff(bribery), and I don’t agree with that anyways.

2 Likes

Walk away. They soon follow. Don’t give them the power because it’ll only get worse

1 Like

I just ignore it until they stop. They stopped because I never gave in. They only did it for a month. Both of my children went through this stage.

I just let her do the “flop and drop” and talk her through it. If she’s still acting a fool I ignore it.

This is basically what my mom did and :woman_shrugging:t5:

When my boys did this I to would drop to the floor and have a paddy also. Worked a treat. If you don’t have the confidence to do that in public another way is to have a book with you and sit and read in whispered voice… . Curiosity should stop the tantrum as child wants to see and hear what your doing… both ideas worked for me and maybe my boys had 4 tantrums in total between them when we were out and about…

1 Like

I heard if when your kid throws a tantrum dont let throw themselves on the floor stand them back up every time they throw themselves on the floor and tell them if they what to throw a fit they have to do it standing up I don’t know how well it work I heard about it after my son was out of the tantrum stage and my daughter is there yet my son went through a phase where when he threw a fit he would head butt the floor I just let him when he did it at home I’d walk away and the one time he did it in a store I just stood there and didn’t say a word to him

My daughter only tried once at age 3 to throw a tantrum in store. I immediately took her out and went home. I had to drag her kicking and screaming most of the way, and got plenty of dirty looks, but she never did it again.

I agree with the others. Leaving is the most effective, even if you have a cart full of groceries.

Handled it the right way.

I think you handled it like a pro! It is hard to get things done when you have to walk out. But the good news is, it will stop sooner than you think. He will see that throwing a fit won’t get him anything. I suggest you keep it up a few more weeks. Keep walking out. Then once he stops reward him but not while at the store. Do it at home. Talk a lot about why your leaving and talk even more when he behaves. Terrible 2’s are a myth, wait until 3​:crazy_face::roll_eyes:. You got this momma!

1 Like

When my brother threw a temper tantrum in a store. My mom threw herself on the floor and started kicking and copied his behavior. It worked. He shut up, i died of embarrassment and she got up and finished shopping in peace.

34 Likes

My nephew didn’t believe me before we went into the store that he would get no toys or candy if he misbehaved. I would march him right back outside and let grandma keep shopping. He thought, at 3, it was an empty threat because his other grandparents never followed through. Not even 2 minutes in the store he pitched a fit and I grabbed his hand and marched him out the door. My mom finished shopping, which took about 20 minutes, and he had to stand next to the car to wait. I didn’t have the keys amd it was a nice day. He wasn’t happy with no toy or candy. He learned that I meant business. Even at 19, the look I give him when he starts being a pest, it stops him in his tracks.

8 Likes

I did exactly what you did and then found a sitter/friend/relative so I could shop alone. Many places you can do pick up now. My son is a perfectly pleasant and well behaved adult now. It is just something you have to get through.

The minute u give a toy you’ve made a critical error. Never get kids toys to make them behave. Give a cookie or other treat once home … then say it was for being good in the store.
My son was very premature. That behavior didn’t begin until about 4. I just told him i was leaving if he was coming he’d better get on with it. Then i walked away. (I stopped and waited around the endcap where he couldn’t see me). He always cried wait for me mommy! Lol.
Honestly i would grocery shop without him. He only came into stores if i just needed one or two things

1 Like

My son decided that he wanted a toy, but I told him no. He started throwing a hugh tantrum, but thankfully daddy took him to the car. He was allowed to finish his tantrum in his car seat on a very hot day. My husband left the car doors open and softly told him that once he quits demanding things the two of them would join mom where it was cooler. When they came back, my son said he was sorry and became my little helper. Each child is different, one could be talked to, where as another might need to be removed from the setting. Most importantly is talk to the child and explain bad behavior gets them nothing.

Whatever technique[s] you choose, be consistent. Consistency is key. Once you break from your expectations, your toddler has “won” so to speak. Also, go shopping, run errands during the part of the day your toddler’s mood is the best if you can.

11 Likes

My Mom told me that once I threw such an epic tantrum that she just left me there & walked away. She stayed in the next isle so she could still see me (for safety sake) but I couldn’t see her. Once my tantrum was over I got such a shock that she was gone & I couldn’t find her. She let me look around for a few mins & realise what I’d done. Then came & fetched me. Apparently it worked; I learnt my lesson & never did that again!

I never went through that with any of my 6 kids or the children I watch I never tolerated them being ugly at home cutting fits wanting their way and so even today if I take a child with me you better behave yourself or else when we get home you will be put in timeout and next time won’t go with me

5 Likes

Before taking child to store with you, make sure s/he is well rested, full tummy, and potties. Bring something to keep them occupied if s/he sits in the cart. If s/he walks, somehow leash them to the cart. Using words they can understand, explain acceptable behavior. Remind them during the shopping trip. Afterwards, praise them PROFUSELY! It will get easier as time goes on as long as you’re consistent.

7 Likes

I tried really hard to distinguish between “tantrums” that were actually just wild sobbing because of a tired and overstimulated child and a child who was totally “pitchin’ a fit” and being bratty.

For the tired and over stimulated child, I usually just left the store, knowing that we were BOTH going to be upset and crying, lol!!!

But for a child who was deliberately acting out, I took that child to the ladies’ room, gave her two pops on the bottom and said very sternly said, “You will NOT behave like that. That is NO!” I had one child who threw two fits in a store. Since the other children were always with me, they learned from their sister’s consequences.

8 Likes

my daughter did it once. i told her to stop she didnt so i popped her butt. when she was ready to listen i told her she cant act like that and i was there to do my business and she was going to behave or else. it worked.

16 Likes

I think you have to build some credibility with him first. In other words he needs to know that when he throws a fit that you will not tolerate this behavior. So with whatever discipline you decide to use you need to make sure you hold up to your end. Bc I can guarantee you that he will hold up to his. :smiley:I know it’s not the most popular form of discipline but I spanked my kids. It only took a couple of times but they knew that when mommy said ‘if you don’t stop this behavior you will get a spanking.’Once I had established that credibility with them. They knew I meant it.
And every now and then they will test it. Just to make sure that you are still in control.
Good luck. Being a parent is hard work but if you invest in expecting correct behavior at a young age it will pay off.

9 Likes

Take your cart to a corner of the store, and ignore him. Look at your phone and just say, “Let me know when you are done,”. Remain calm. Don’t let him see that you are upset by it. Then continue shopping when he is done.

12 Likes

I spanked my son the first time he had a tantrum at the store. I then spoke to him about it using “toddler words”. I also made it clear, with the “mommy face”, that it will not happen again. And it didn’t. I had 4 kiddos at the time, all under the age of 7. None of them misbehaved in the stores aside from that one incident. Of course, approaches are different for everyone. I would suggest that you be stern in your communication and expectations. They do understand.

31 Likes

You lean down and quietly whisper in their ear that if they don’t knock that sh!t off you’ll give them a real reason to cry. Then let them imagine what you’ll do. It’ll always be way worse than what you’d actually do.

3 Likes

Sounds like you did handle it. You took the toy away and left the store. It was inconvenient for you but he’ll remember next time and won’t act up. If he does, just do it again.

1 Like

God said spank them! It really works! And after some consistency the look will work. Take him to the bathroom at Walmart and just spank!

5 Likes

Well you could always lay on the ground and start throwing your own tantrum. That would shut them up I bet. :laughing: Sorry my kids are grown. I dealt with it as well. I’d march them out of the store and not go back in until they were done. It’s hard and takes lots of patience.

5 Likes

Have a conversation before entering the store about big boy behavior. Praise him a lot for his cooperation. I used to tell my kids I can’t talk to them when they are screaming. I’d wait until they calmed down to talk.

1 Like

Order your stuff online @walmart and pick up in the parking lot. This is a free service.
Tantrums are best ignored. When he is calm ask him what he wants. And help him to build his vocabulary and his patience. Tantrums are usually (A) their way of getting what they want right now. Don’t give in. (B) lack of ability to communicate and wants something.
Either way talk to him calmly, set boundaries, and work through this rough period together. It does get easier.

1 Like

When my daughter threw yourself on the floor, I walked away. She couldn’t see me, but I saw her. As soon as she didn’t see me, she stopped. She never did it again. If he’s in the cart, just keep doing your shopping and ignore him. Tell him he’s not getting the toy because of they way he’s acting. Your the parent, not him.

When my daughter had a tantrum in the grocery store half way through. I got down to her level she was two. So I was basically on the floor, looked at her eye to eye and said to her “ I told you no and if you don’t put it back I will get on my back and kick and scream. Just to let you know it’s very busy in here.” I was
mad enough that I was going to do it. The part she didn’t know was I was going to get up and say to her how does that feel? I didn’t have to go that far she looked to her left and then her right. Then decided that she better put it back. Never had a tantrum again.

2 Likes

My kids learned real quick, you throw a fit, the toy went right back on the shelf. If the fit continued they’d be plucked right out of the buggy and straight home for a spanking and a timeout would happen. Needless to say, I only remember having to do that a handful of times.

And by spanking, believe me when I say, it hurt their heart more than their rear end. In the end, I could just look at both my kids and they knew better.

2 Likes

Years ago my child pitched a fit wanting candy in the checkout lane at the grocery store. I set my cart aside , took her out to our station wagon , opened up the back door and put her in . There was an empty , safe area ( no, it wasn’t hot ) to have all the tantrum she wanted . I was leaning on the back of the car , not looking or responding to her. When she stopped , we went back in and finished up shopping . She never did it again . No fussing , no spanking . Just minor isolation and ignoring her .

He’s reaching those terrible twos just gotta keep telling him no he can’t have everything he wants my nephew went through the same thing but at four but I teach two year olds so hopefully it’s just a phase that he’ll grow out of some kids go through it some don’t

I have a Walmart story! They do listen. Similar situation…my daughter who was super easy…started to pitch little fits in the car at the house, wherever. She pitched a fit one afternoon; you know 5 ish in the kitchen. I had a wooden spatula in my hand and slammed it down on the counter, it got her attention, it broke, it was old! I said next time it was gonna be on her backside. The next day we were heading out to run errands, Walmart was on the list. I decide to take my broken spatula with me and had it sticking out of my purse. She of course had her eye on it but I never said a word. I sat her in the buggy and put my purse next to her with the spatula. We were in the adult clothing area and a little guy started pitching a fit under a rack of clothes. His mom had to go in and retrieve him. My daughter who was about 3 at the time, is watching this bad melt down and as soon as the Mom’s head popped up from under the rack she pulls the broken spatula out and offers it to the woman.
My daughter is now 29 and only had to be popped once when she was 4. Choices and consequences! She turned out great and we work together in our MedSpa​:rofl::heart:

2 Likes

i took my 2 year old grandson to walmart. he laid back in the seat and yelled, help, help, people stopped and ask was he ok…i said yep and kept shopping, after a few minutes he stopped…

1 Like

I told our children where we were going and what we were doing before getting in the car. They were also told what was expected of them and if it was a long day what they could earn by behaving. Nothing big but a treat or favorite movie at home or on occasion get to pick something out at a store. Worked great for me. Didnt like having to be ugly in stores.

1 Like

I strap my kids into the cart. And if they threw a fit they threw a fit, I always try to stay calm and keep moving and ignoring the behavior.

1 Like

When other kids were throwing a fit, I wheeled him over and had him observe their behavior. I would say , “ see that?, and ask him if he knew what he would get if he did that, and we had no problem

1 Like

Set the boundaries to what it is right and wrong. Bad behavior is not tolerated. The tantrum will run its course. Toddler will test your patience to see what you will give into. I always say they have to throw one of their other toys or treats away when we got home to get the other. They found out they liked the stuff at home better

My mom always told us that if we acted like that or asked for anything, we were going home and going to bed. You need to be consistent and mean what you say and follow through.

1 Like

Not to be a smarty pants but Welcome to the terrible twos! You have to figure out a way to deal with it . Mine we left the store and went home they did get over the tantrums after the fifth time leaving! I have twins!

Tell him before you go in the store that he is not getting any toys that you are going to buy food…say it more than once, ask if he understands before you go in the store. Tell him what will happen if he starts acting up…then if he starts, do exactly what you said you would do. Never say one thing and do another. Consistency.

1 Like

Thank god my kids behave no tantrums all five of my kids they look at toys and clothes they ask if they can get anything and if I said not now they understand no tantrums I’m lucky they all good kids

Realize some day you’re actually going to look back on this and miss it.Make sure you take him to the store well fed and plenty of sleep, if he still acts up just take him outta the store until he calms down.