How do you handle toddler tantrums in stores?

Remove them entirely from the situation. Sit and talk face to face until they calm down. Then explain calmly that they can continue on in the store when they are calm and following directions or you will be leaving. And follow through on what you say. Leave.

1 Like

The rules for both of my kids was act any way you want at home but in a store you behave yourself or go home and I shop alone. Period. Home you can walk away, but not in public.

Swatting doesn’t always help. I did 2 things. If it was mild they got a chance to correct themselves. If not sitting in the middle of the floor did change it. We also took them to the car. They were put in their car seat and I would stand with my back to them. Asking them every couple of minutes if they were done. When they said yes we went back to the store. Only happened couple of times. We gave lots of praise.

My son had one tantrum. He laid on they floor eyes closed kicking and yelling. My husband and I hid behind a rack when finally opened his eyes we were gone. He started yelling and we took a minute. I came back and said that’s not going to be tolerated and next time we would leave him there. Problem solved. No yelling,no spanking, and no leaving the store.

I ignored the tantrum. After the first couple of tantrums, they learned that tantrums did nothing for them and gave them no attention. Makes the tantrum pointless

1 Like

I know how you feel even though it’s been many yrs ago reading your post brings it all back like it was yesterday lol. My daughter would throw fits at 2 to 3 yrs old, she wanted me to carry her when we were out at the shopping mall and I had my hands full carrying bags. One time she threw herself on the floor and I just kept walking, she’d get up run to me and do it again, then she grabbed my leg, I just kept walking dragging her with me.
She finally gave up.
It’s all part of being a parent.

Spank his butt! Tell him that he doesn’t act that way ever! You’ll be surprised how many people will support you for this! Doesn’t mean you beat your child just a spanking!!! Be stern!

1 Like

You let him know that if he wants the toy he has to be good throughout the store and at the end give it to him for behaving. Or whenever he has a fit pick him up and leave the store. Sit in the car until he understands it’s not ok to act bad…

When my son was young I kept walking an disappeared from his sight. He didn’t like that! But he never did it again!

I had a wooden spoon named sally , painted a face on it .when he acted up I would say sally wouldn’t like the way you are acting .later in life my son barrier her .:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I only had to use it once .:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The same way.do not let him win not even once. It’s going to take a while. Once he realizeous your not going to give in it will start to change. I’m 75 been doing this a while. Remember don’t scream and yell. When he is good praise him, don’t buy him off. Good luck mama you got this.

My daughter did that and I picked her up kicking and screaming an walked out of the store and she never went with me again

If they have a tantrum on the floor just walk away from them ( it’s hard) and wait out of sight. No audience no performance. Obviously stay in a safe distance

We would pick her up and leave the store. It only happened once, I was very fortunate

Look at what you allow in a daily visit to a store. Are you consistent? So often kids see the expectations can be changed by him n it’s acceptable. It’s hard but no changes…

My son is the exact same age. The number of people on here advising her to hit her baby is alarming and sad. This age is a time for patience and understanding not violence.

I just let them scream and told them screaming won’t get them anything. I didn’t give 2 shits about what others thoughts. Idk if they saw that couldn’t get what they wanted but I didn’t get many tantrums after that.

My kids would get the death grip. I squeezed their arm hard and walked them right out of the store. No words were needed. Plus I had that look and they knew they screwed up. I would explain what we are doing and we are not here to buy you something. If they behaved I would give them a quarter to save for something down the road. They learned very quickly as well as understanding the cost of things they wanted. My boys tell me the hated the death grip!!!

My wife could have sorted him out she would warned him twice and if that didn’t work she would have him taken out of the shop and smacked his backside he soon learned young people need to know to respect parents

I keep my 2 year old in a buggy and keep a small toy and snacks with us when we go shopping. You got to find a healthy way to keep him entertained. Toddlers usually like to be lil helpers. Task him with helping you put things from your list into the buggy. Make him feel involved and not extra baggage, and give praise if well behaved and helpful.

He isn’t too young to be told what to expect. Make she he has been fed before you leave, and has a drink with him. If you get him a toy be firm and explain this is for when we get in the car or when you get home. Let him know that mommy has to pay for it first. If he throws a fit let him. Best Book Ever, if you can find it is called 3, 2, 1, Magic.

I learned the hard way. My parents whipped my ass when I pitched a fit. Not hard enough to leave marks or bruises but I knew I had been spanked. There were no such thing as time out when I grew up. I was disciplined in the correct but a positive manner

I let my daughter have a fit in the mall and and she kicked and screamed and banged her head on the floor. Some people stopped to look and when she had an audience I asked to tell them what was wrong. When she said that I refused to take her to the toy store they laughed and she got embarrassed and it stopped. Never again

Come on folks you spank his butt. If you do not teach them early they will be walking on you as they get older. You going to bribe them their entire life. You are the parent take control. Or your child will be one of those children in the street because of no discipline and realize right from wrong. Sorry if you do not want to hear it.

You did it! You walked out…I know it’s frustrating but keep doing it. The difference between a bribe and a reward…bribes come BEFORE expected behavior and doesn’t usually yield the behavior we want since the item was given already…rewards come AFTER the behavior. Have him hold your list and a pencil…and cross off items…engage in conversation. Ooh I love this item…I wish we could buy it today but it’s not on our list. Keep up the good work!

Take cart to front, tell them your sorry but have to leave due to baby tantrum then leave. When you arrive home time out. It worked for me and took only one time, then make sure the rules are clear if they want to go shopping with you or they can stay home. Give them that choice!

With my niece when she about that age maybe 3 . I took her to the bathroom were there was a hallway and made her sit in time out I didn’t care if she cried or threw tantrum… told this what will happen each time if she can’t behave ,she said I don’t like people looking at me . i told maybe she should behave and not get herself in time out then.

First off he can’t throw fits if mom stays out of toy section. Get in and get your business done.

I always talked to my boys and explained to them that we were going in to do the shopping and what I expected their behavior to be like. Then what would happen if they didn’t behave. But you have to follow through with what you say, every time. On occasion if they were especially good I would take them over and let them each pick a hot wheel. But if they acted up before we got to the register they did not get the hot wheel. I would put it back on the shelf. But honestly I don’t ever remember them having a fit while shopping. I raised them from day one that these are the rules and you will follow them and if not you will be punished every time. I don’t like the idea of leaving the store when they have a fit because they win. They don’t want to be there and if you leave they are getting their way. They have to learn that not everything in life is fun. Some things you just have to do, even if your not in the mood. I also hate to see kids watching movies on phones or tablets while the parents shop. Yes, it keeps them quite but it also teaches them they always have to be entertained. Get them to help you shop. Let them help you find the green beans, the tomatoes, or their favorite snack or juice. Take the opportunity to teach them.

Don’t let onlookers pressure your parenting style or change your decisions. I would assess the cause of the tantrum. If it’s just attention seeking or unhappiness about not getting ones way I would wait it out. If it’s because said child is just too tired, hungry, or has some other pressing need I would alter whatever I had to so I could provide what they needed. Sometimes that’s a total pain in the butt!! But just remember, this is a stage and it will be over before you know it!!

1 Like

I’m a mom of 7 and have literally never had any of them have a break down in any store ever

1 Like

I would take them outside…tell them were sitting here in the parking lot until you calm down. Be calm yourself show them the behaviour you expect from them.No threats , no rewards, just patience. Worked with both my kids.

I had no kids but i have nephews and niece that i use to take care off, i use time out method to correct toddlers behavior.

You did the right thing! Tell him, next time if he behaves like that your going to leave and come back by yourself. He’ll change his attitude, takes a few times and patience.

Stay away from the toy department until your shopping is done! He will learn quick what a reward is. (Also, don’t buy one every time… don’t go when he’s bratty either)
Dumb dumb suckers made my shopping easy. Wait until he hits the terrifying 3’s… makes the 2’s look easy.

Discipline him and be consistent. Toddlers only keep on doing things if they get away with it and if there is no consequences.

Hate to have to tell you, but 3 is even worse than 2! Sorry. As for me I would make quick trips into stores on the way to pick mine up from the sitter. But now hey have things like car side pickup and grocery delivery

First off all you have to set yourself up for a win… meaning don’t shop with a tired or hungry child. Also don’t impulse buy for your child (it’s confusing when they are so small that one day they can grab a toy and other days it’s a no). I warn my little one before we go shopping and again outside the shop that “today is a No toy day” and that none will be brought. When the tantrums occur, you have to decide if it’s plausible to keep shopping or not. It really does depend on how extreme the behaviour is and how you can manage with your stress levels. If it’s a tantrum over the toy, remind again that it’s a “no toy day”. Always remain calm and speak firmly and directly. Explain you know it’s hard they can’t have everything they want. Give hugs and try and get them to help find what you came for. If you are consistent this stage will most likely be short lived. In regards to the judgemental looks you receive from others… fake it until you make it. Even if you are dying inside keep your face composed or give them a knowing smile. I’ve even made jokes to onlookers that the excercism we attempted this morning clearly didn’t work! It’s a learning curve for all, you got it Mumma.

sounds like you handled it well.we’re done here let’s go. he’ll find it more painful as he gets older snd you leave!

Tasks, give him jobs in the store. Carry the kleenex or help pick the best bananas. Keep them busy.

He may have sensory issues. Look up autism, although the fact he wanted toy may be just a tantrum. You did the right thing to leave immediately.

Put him into one of those car s that are in front of carts or simply go on weekends leave him with dad If you go without him he will realize that his behavior is not good

I used to leave and they catch on and will stop acting out but you have to be consistent

My parents my son and I were in a restaurant and my son tried that period my son picked him up took him out to the car and had a discussion with him about how you act in a public environment, he never did that again he was about three or four years old

A wack on the back side set in cart oops forgot this is not the 1970S when my wife and I raised our kids

Each of my kids at age 3 (I think. Long time ago). Had meltdowns at the grocery I was almost finished I put the perishables back. Gave my cart to a manager. Asked him to keep it aside for me and I left the store. I went back after my husband was home and finished the shopping again. I kept a calendar and checked off every day for 2weeks that I didn’t take the child anywhere. And showed him/her. We are not going to the park today. No mall today. For the full 2 Weeks. Never had a problem again. Plus we always left any restaurant at the first sign of disturbing others. We were often complimented on the our kids great behavior in public

3 Likes

You get what you get and you don’t throw a fit.
I do not negotiate with terrorists. The first time you raise your voice you will be punished.

The good lord put extra padding in our butts for spankings and it works

2 Likes

Never reward bad behavior. He needs to earn time with you.

1 Like

A quick swat on the bottom.

3 Likes

I swat thier butts. But mostly ignoring them. Set them in the cart. And carry on with shopping. Strap em in and apologize if you feel you need to…to passersbys. Most people dont even blink an eye.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s called the terrible 2’s mom!! Good luck

I realize this is not politically correct but my parents would have smacked us. Without hesitation, smack. Game over.
Act right or else.
Today that may not fly in some counties :joy:

1 Like

That butt needed a good spanking and it would have stopped immediately.

1 Like

It’s irritating, but you keep doing exactly what you did!!:+1:

1 Like

Take his little butt to the restaurant and give him an attitude adjustment

Just keep shopping and ignore him that’s what I did with my son

Bring snacks for him

You did the right thing Good for you.

I walked away, they got over it quick

Bag him put him on a shelf and sell him :blush:

Don’t go when he is tired or hungry

1 Like

You did the right thing.

Leave him home. Time outs.

Start now or you will never have control.

Don’t take him to the store.

Take him out to the car until he stops

I remember those days but we got through them

Taking to the bathroom whip butt

Walk away from him, if sees you ignoring him he will run to you!!!

Spank their ass. Really simple.

Back in the day (35 yrs ago) my 2 yr old son started this. I brought it up to my pediatrician who said when he starts, throw a small glass of ICE COLD WATER in his face. It startled him and is really unpleasant, but it doesn’t hurt him. I kept a glass of water in the fridge. Did it twice. Problem solved. You could take it with you in a jar to the store and let him know you have it with you. Now in today’s world some will (probably) say this is abusive. I would argue that getting angry and screaming at a misbehaving child is alot more abusive than a glass of cold water…but that’s me. Good luck!

When my kids were young they were aloud to pick one item a piece and not ask for anything else. No opening til payed for. We had no problems with show off. My son uses it now on his kids 4 3 and 1 works for him also.

Fair question. There is no sure fire answer for you. Depends on the child and what works. Sometimes a swat on the butt, riding in basket or walking and hanging onto cart, get something special if you behave or out of store faster than you walked in. Kids are smart they know how to push your buttons. Meltdown and tantrums for any number of reasons is common in most kids. I don’t think there is an answer that applies to all kids. Trial and error is exhausting but you are only one who can make that decision.

Go to the bathroom and spank his hand or butt… Teach him home lessons. Tell him hes not gonna act like a fool out in public. And yes spanking is ok… Always has been… Not beating just to get his attention. People nowadays dont spank their kids. And look at all these rioters and idiots out here?? They must not had good parents. If i did any of that stuff that is going on nowadays with the rioting or looting my parents would find me and beat my butt… And im 41… But I would never do that… I was raised better…

2 Likes

Dont. Go when he is tired or hungry.

Stop him now , this what happen to Donald Trump .

No problem ask my daughter Jessica Strobbe lol

My parents gave me a reason to cry and I learned real quick to stop the shit

That’s a good start. He will learn.

Pick him up go out to car and strap him in drive around being sure to go past his favorite ice cream place or Mc D’s and point out boys that throw tantrums don’t get treats, let him think for a minute then ask if he is ready to behave. If does it again then a swat on the bottom.

You did it right, except you don’t actually have to leave. You can tell him “it’s ok to be sad when we don’t get what we want, but you cannot scream and upset others,” then tell him to stop or you’re walking away without him. If you can’t do that because his resulting behavior is unsafe, or he’s so out of control he won’t notice you’ve walked away, then you can leave your cart by checkout/customer service and tell them you’ll be right back. Take him to the car, buckle him in, and let him scream it out. Tell him you’ll go back in when he’s done screaming. Then explain it’s ok to be sad, but screaming upsets other people and that’s not acceptable behavior. Then go back in when he’s done. Continue this anywhere and everywhere he throws a tantrum. Cobsistency is key. It may be a series of extended shopping trips until he gets it, but he will get it. This way, if he kicks off at Nana’s, he’s out in the car for a timeout. If he kicks off at play group, out in the car for a timeout. He will get it faster, the more consistently you do it. If you would like to avoid this altogether, then try offering him tickets or stickers or coins for good behavior, and if he earns enough of them during the outing, he can pick/have a treat at the end of the trip. So say… for every 5 or 10 minutes that he behaves you praise him and give him his sticker (or maybe a quarter) and at checkout you count how many he earned. Then you pick out a couple of treats for him to choose from (or treats that land within the cost of the number of quarters he earned) and really praise him as you buy/give him the treat. If he didn’t earn enough, I wouldn’t tell him until after checkout, lol. (You can also bring a treat from home, if you prefer to not buy something extra).

Tantrums are just frustration in the inability to process such big emotions. A 2 year old has no impulse control, and an extremely undeveloped frontal lobe (the part in charge of logic and reasoning). Ignoring them/giving them the silent treatment does nothing to help them learn to develop coping mechanisms for the stress that occurs when emotions get out of hand, and if you’ve ever met someone who runs away during confrontation or is emotionally distant, you can bet they were ignored and given time outs a lot as a child.

Getting aggressive or acting like “you’re the boss” just escalates the situation. A tantrum is not manipulation, they aren’t doing it on purpose as a display of dominance, so remain calm and take deep breaths to model the behaviour you want to see.

Leaving the store, doesn’t address the issue, it’s more of a punishment for you because you didn’t get the stuff you needed. I get that it’s embarrassing but sitting with your child and working through it with them is going to help you both in the long run. Who cares what judgy customers think in that 5 or 10 mins, when you’re never going to see them again.

So while sitting with them to let them know you are there during this stressful time will help to strengthen your bond, and remaining calm will help to deescalate the situation, you can also be the voice of reason they don’t have yet by naming the emotion. “You’re frustrated because you can’t play with this toy”. Then redirect, because really that’s the only thing that works on a toddler until impulse control starts to develop. I always bring toys and snacks with me for this reason. Others have mentioned engaging them in the shopping activities, which is another form of redirection and is a great idea at lessening the chance of a tantrum developing in the first place.

1 Like

Put his butt in the cart and let him throw a fit and dont pay him any attention

Okay so most people will not agree with this but I always keep snacks and a small toy in my diaper bag. I try those first. If the fit continues. I finish my errand and leave. I don’t have time to leave a store if my child throws a fit. I always tell them that behavior is not acceptable and will not get them what they want.

I ignore the tantrum with people staring and if it gets to bad, then I carry them out yelling and screaming and try again another day!
Don’t give in or they will play on that everytime mama, tough but you’ve got this &once he see’s mom isn’t giving in to the tantrum and it isn’t working, they give up on it!

People may not agree with this but my son always gets to go to the quarter machine at the end of the trip if hes good. Hes only missed the machine a few times and now he knows better. He was being spoiled by others so i had to correct that by not letting him see others for a little while. Now he knows whats expected and doesnt give me trouble. Hes 3.5 so now earns an allowance and has a piggy bank

I let them whine and scream for a couple of minutes then we have a coming to Jesus talk right then and there. I threaten lots of things. I strive hard to not worry about what others think of us. Kids fuss.

Put the toy back and get your shopping done. Cant keep leaving and not get stuff done everytime child throws a fit. My mom gave us whippins (not child abuse even though some people think this :roll_eyes:) right in the store, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to have a well behaved child.

I took my little cousin in with my one time and she was a nightmare only this one time. So I literally made her apologize to everyone in the store for how she acted. She was so embarrassed she never acted up in the store again. I stayed calm with her about it. And someone did ask me why are you making her do this. I told them she ruined everyone’s day here she needs to apologize for it or she will never learn how to become a better person. They left it at that. And she still as a teenager now tells everyone I’m her best friend.

I haven’t made it to that stage yet with my twin boys. My mom use to tell my brother and I at a very young age before we went anywhere. We are going to the store to get this, this and this and do not ask for a toy. Next time you will get one. We use to act very good in the stores. Also she said we use to stare at the kids who use to throw tantrums.

1 Like

It also depends on the time of day also. I always went to the store with both of my girls when they had a full belly and not sleepy. That’s the worst time to go to a store. When you go anywhere to a store make sure they have full bellies and not so tired. Take a snack with you or something to distract them. Parents don’t realize that you always need to make sure your kids has plenty of sleep and to eat. I had a couple of bad experiences with my girls but I know that they always threw a tantrum when hungry or tired. So I always ran my errands with snacks and books or even a security thing that they may sleep with. I also did the security thing like a blanket or a stuffed animal or even their binki. Depends on the child however the tantrums will stop also when you also let them just throw their tempers they eventually will learn that they can’t do that. My girls knows when I am serious and it’s hard to understand why I have moods also. Embarrassed them like they embarrass you

2 Likes

I had a perfect 4 year old (who never threw a tantrum) and a terrorist 2 year old! I told him if he wasn’t a good boy we would have to leave the store with no surprise. About 10 minutes into grocery shopping he started screaming and kicking, so we left. It took a couple times because he was a head strong kid! Finally he learned, and next he learned I only give surprises sometimes so don’t ask for anything either. Fast forward to 5th grade, I took him shopping, we get home and I find out we’re out of milk. I asked him why he didn’t tell me while we were at the store? He said because he knew not to ask for anything. :grin: Mom learned a lesson that day.

My third child in a nut shell (and I thought I was a seasoned parent). Don’t let tantrums throw you and don’t react! Prepare ahead of time! Take snacks and things to distract him… but if he does get out of control, don’t let people’s ugly looks or your child’s behavior throw you! Fold your arms and wait it out. Don’t give in! Don’t let him manipulate you! When he is quiet tell him… we don’t behave that way, and mommy won’t give you what you want when you act that way. This child is frustrated— but. Don’t let him train you to react to give him what he wants when he misbehaves! I know it’s exhausting but he is just now learning how you will react.

1 Like

I ave been taking my grandaughter shopping since she was born.She’s now 3 and does not ride in the cart.She stays right by me and when I’;m done we look at the toys.She doesn’t ask for anythinga nd if things have fallen over she picks them up.I know I will hear about this probably but I put up with no nonsense.I will pop your butt right there in the store in front of everyone.I’m 72 years and old school.Never put up with any nonsense from my 9 kids or the grandkids.

2 Likes

That’s when he’d get his bottom spanked but Dr.Spock & the PC generation made it impossible for parents to BE parents & discipline their children…look @ today’s cupcakes…trust me the “Time Out” method ain’t workin’!

2 Likes

You handled it just right. They will learn quickly that they received nothing when they misbehave. Be sure to reinforce the positive when he does not misbehave in a store with a small reward. Good job mom…:+1::wink:

2 Likes

Popped her real quick, then went back home no shopping (was shopping for new shoes for her) no reward, no nothing and straight down for nap. I promise you she only did that mess one time and she’s 35 years old now.

1 Like

We used to go to the car for time out and then go back into the store when the behavior was back on track.

2 Likes

Get them used to hearing no at home. Be stern and make sure they know you mean no when you say it.

2 Likes