How do you tell your kids that you are broke?

This is a perfect time for him to learn hands on about a major problem most of us have. Do it in Lite Mode so he doesn’t get upset or involved in the subject. Keep it in 5 year old terms.

1 Like

Also on FB free school supplies giveaways coming up. Free clothes. You can go to food pantry. It takes a lot of time and planning to look for bargains and to plan and cook meals. It’s hard work.

1 Like

Contact the school tell them about supplies I’m sure they could somehow supply her with some things

1 Like

Hi I will like to help we’re are u located

2 Likes

If you’re that worried about it, sign up for doordash and make some side money.

1 Like

What I did? I hustled like a mf’er. My oldest was 2 weeks old in a carrier… and I went and applied for a job then to a technical college for a career. School was 11 months. And I worked full time. As did my ex husband. And I never stopped. I have worked overtime/holidays/birthdays/midnights to make sure I wasn’t in that place again. I was tired of failing at life… So I hustled so hard… lol 16 yrs later… I’m doing alright.

7 Likes

There’s places like churches and community center that gives away backpack full of school supplies. Maybe search that around your location.

1 Like

Thete should be help locally call the churches and see if they are having a backpack give away the back packs are usually full of supplies they need. Ask if they have a clothing give away. The local food bank should be able to help as well. Good luck I hope this helps some. :heartbeat:

We explain budgeting and saving up for stuff.
They know I start looking for stuff on clearance when I can so they’ll ask me to keep an eye out for things they want or need.

Are you working? If not, start there.

4 Likes

In my house both parents work to make ends meet, so that 1 person isn’t physically killing them selves… apply for post mates, Instacart, DoorDash, roadie, shipt or skipcart, all of these either pay you daily multiple times a day… ( all of the above listed you can do with kids in tow so no baby sitter needed). Amazon flex pays twice weekly… donate plasma twice a week… Call churches. Check with the kiddos school see if they can donate… Goodluck!

3 Likes

Children do NOT need to be included in conversation about finances, my opinion of course. However if you are struggling but still want the start of school fun because let’s be honest kids do parade around in and with their new items, maybe diy a current shirt with markers or tye dye, maybe a bleach spray and cut a pair of pants into shorts or something fun like sew a patch on things they already have! Collect all the school supplies you may already have and make it a fun presentation to the child. Thrift shops, churches and local communities seem to always have resources as well.
Where are you located?

6 Likes

If OP wants to send me a PM Id like to amazon you some school supplies if you’d like!

5 Likes

Reach out to the school. They should be able to point you in the direction of assistance with stuff like that. I know where I live they have a lot of back to school events that help with supplies, clothes and shoes.

1 Like

Contact the school guidance counselor . They should have a program to help get her supplies depending on where you live . Also , free lunches . As far as telling them you don’t have the money , you just tell them that . It’s hard on the kids but they know more than you think anyways . And one day , they will hopefully grow up and work hard , get an education and manage money wisely . ( I don’t mean that you have not at all , just wanted to say these life lessons are valuable in todays society but I know they break your heart :heart:) . Prayers

1 Like

I just tell him honestly. I’m on SSI and I was getting child support but his dad got fired so I’m not getting that now so I just tell him Mommy doesn’t have any money right now.

1 Like

You should never tell your kids that you’re broke, look around for events that are giving away free school supplies and backpacks! This may be a good time for you to start looking for a job

2 Likes

“Mom doesn’t have money with her for that right now, honey.” We cut every expense and service that we could. We still don’t have WiFi and things like that. I have 5 children, newborn to 7, and we shop at the DI a lot. They have tons of nice clothes and no one is the wiser :woman_shrugging:
School supplies, call your district and ask, “hey where could I get assistance buying supplies for my little one?” They should be able to point you in some directions. Otherwise, the DI sells school supplies pretty often too! Good luck, babe I know exactly how you feel

I like to not lie to my kid though so maybe I’m the oddball :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

For everyone saying “get a job”, what if she can’t? Whatever the reason, it’s none nor will it ever be anyone’s business on why money’s tight. Life happens. Don’t kick a person while they’re down because in the blink of an eye, this could be you. Let’s be supportive of this mama!

8 Likes

Do you have family members or friends to help watch your children so you can work?! They need both parents and dads gonna get burnt out working two jobs

1 Like

What size is your daughter wearing? What are her likes and dislikes? Colors or characters? Would like to help…

4 Likes

As a teacher myself, just be upfront with her teacher. There should be community resources available for assistance with school supplies.

6 Likes

I just tell them honestly. I’m a single mama to 5, work full time and thankfully bought new uniform for my youngest before our government thought it was OK to shaft us with all these increases. When quite frankly I’m still playing catch up from covid. I had no income for months and didn’t get any help. I’m in the UK and I’m literally going to have to choose between eating and heating come winter. My youngest son needs school shoes, my 2nd youngest son needs new trainers and I have a huge list of other things we need too :sob:

School counselors usually have extra school supplies.

1 Like

Have you reached out to the school about school supply drives? We like to shop at a 2nd hand store called once upon a child. You could even take any clothes or toys your kids have grown out of with you and they will buy them from you in they don’t have stains, etc and they are in good used condition. Do you have anything like that in your area? If you‘be tried all resources, I would be happy to help with what I can. Could do Walmart pick up at your local Walmart?

1 Like

Go to church. They may also help.

1 Like

What size is your daughter?I have some extra school supplies and new LOL backpack if that helps??

8 Likes

Why did they deny you? What was their reason?

I would call Rainbow Connection for some help.have u tried getting a part time job? Fast food will work with u in hours u can work.good luck

You don’t. It’s not lying to your kid. It’s called they are 5 and shouldn’t know or worry about adult problems. Let them be kids and do the best you can. That’s all you can do.

5 Likes

You don’t tell a 5 year old nothing like that

5 Likes

PM me your location and if you are close I have school supplies and clothes for her that my daughter recently outgrew who is going into 2nd grade. Or I can mail them to you!

1 Like

Try thrift stores for clothes. Just tell the teacher the truth. Most make all the kids share supplies anyway. Check out school supply drives . Do a Google search, Or contact some churches. I wouldn’t even say anything ab new school clothes to a 5 yr old. The child is so young may not even realize they don’t have new clothes. Most schools have extra supplies .

1 Like

Try going to Salvation Army or Goodwill, they usually have nice clothes and SA may help you with other things too.

Appeal the food stamps decision. I was told to do this once a school social worker. I didn’t because I felt intimidated. She said most people win appeals. I finally got hold of a worker at dhs & started the appeal. She was snotty & rude. I got the approval letter before I got the appeal paperwork.

Until this year I never had a husband to provide. I was single with my first three kids for years. When I was broke I told them. They understood, I got free stuff from churches for school. With inflation lots of people are stuggling. Even my husband and I have struggles and he makes good money. But we manage. And when I tell my kids we are broke they say OK a d move on with it.

1 Like

My 5 year old has had preschool or kindergarten the last 3 years he has never gotten "back to school"clothes nor new shoes. I never understood why they need new clothes just for school. I will never do that. My kids only get new clothes or new shoes when they NEED them. Im also a single mom on SSI

2 Likes

Don’t stress ur kids out …reach out to general assistance or ur local Salvation Army to see if they can help …best of luck …

1 Like

My bf has an ongoing joke in our house
“We’re swimming in crippling debt”

I have 6 children. We get what we can when we can. I look at clearance racks and get what I can. Even if it is only one or two things at a time and only one kid at a time.

2 Likes

Don’t. Don’t burden your baby with “ adult things”. Kudos for doing everything you can to try to change your situation. Usually if you post on local garage sale sites and such most people are willing to give your daughter what they can for school.

1 Like

My kids think going to goodwill is just the same as going to the mall for name brand. And if you speak to churches or some thrift stores they will donate to a family in need if you have proof that you are in need of clothes or something. And churches can usually ask for donations for school supplies and what not.

4 Likes

What size clothes does she wear? Message me if you are in the Charleston area, I have a ton of clothes that I am trying to get rid of

She can still wear her summer clothes it’s always hot when they start school ayways. What else does she need? I can Amazon Prime you a backpack right now.

3 Likes

It happens be easy on yourself I try and not let my kids know what’s happening so they don’t worry but if you really have to tell her just say right now mommy and daddy are tight on money right now and that everything will be fine and not to worry

1 Like

In our area before school starts we have a couple places that give away gently used clothes for school. I hope you can find something.

It’s perfectly acceptable to tell your kid that you can’t do (xyz) or buy certain things at the moment. Try to explain too her that the entire country is in a very similar situation. That it won’t be like this forever and you will do whatever you can to make sure she has the things she needs, food,clothes school things and a place to live. Try not to let her see you getting upset ,as there’s literally nothing she can do. Just try to explain things the best you can while re assuring her you and dad will make sure she has what she needs. She doesn’t need details. Good luck girl, and please utilize the resources available to you.

Your school should have a family resource officer or a list of local places that could help. Our school has a FRO and she helps out a lot with struggling parents. They even help with Christmas presents like the angel tree thing but it’s through the school. They can even help point you towards organizations that could help with utilities or rent to help free up some money for you.

1 Like

Make a Amazon wish list and post on here! I’m sure most people wouldn’t mind getting a little summat for her to help u out thro that x

16 Likes

Do you have a go fund me or something mum? We can contribute and help her get back to school supplies :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Kids should never know anything about their parents problems or financial difficulties. As mothers we just find a way, we wear many hats and many disguises too. You may not see a way, but their is one. If you can only afford a few things at a time, or thrift store items; there’s nothing wrong with that.

10 Likes

I was lucky and my parents helped with clothes. I bought at target, kmart, kids are us, occasionally a second hand store, and some hand me downs from friends. I was always clear with my son that we were poor. I once took two of his old bikes and my bike to the old man who fixed and sold bikes in the neighborhood and traded 3 bikes for one new one.

1 Like

If u message me i can help x

Inflation is CRAZY. Please don’t be hard on yourself

5 Likes

There are programs through the school, and some churches that will help with the school supplies

2 Likes

I’m sure your school would help. There’s always supplies leftover from the year b4. Or your local church, or lifeline or secondhand shops, are made for these situations.

Why aren’t you working?

6 Likes

Finances are not something you should involve your kids in. You’ll get the things she needs when you can and that’s all she needs to know

13 Likes

Have you tried local groups in your area that give away things they don’t need “buy none sell none” pages. Also I know in my area they do backpack give aways and they are full of supplies, you could look into that also. Good luck Mama!!!

1 Like

We don’t discuss our finances with our daughter however in teaching her about money we do discuss budgeting and the price of goods and what money is worth so she knows if I say it is not in the budget this week that she can get it or if it is something that costs $30 and I say we only have $20, then we don’t have enough.

3 Likes

Maybe lighten the load and get a job yourself . This is what baffles me . Many woman and YES MEN will leave everything to the other spouse to conquer. It’s absolutely wild . If you are able to work and have disability or ailments than YES . Get looking . Not fair that this guy is applying for a second job while you can help with the finances

11 Likes

Dollar General has tee shirts in different colors, kids and adults. Can you pm a address where I can send some school supplies. Call food bank and get a list of where they have food give aways. Call 211 for help.

1 Like

She said husband is main provider which could mean that she works part time :woman_shrugging:t2: it’s not always easy to work a different shift when you have kids if you work one shift then have to stay awake to take care of kids when do you sleep?

3 Likes

Lots of people give away free kids’ items on marketplace. Maybe start looking for gently used supplies being donated near you. I hate to jump on the ‘get a job’ bandwagon, but if you aren’t working right now, you likely should be. Your kids don’t need to understand what’s going on financially. Expectation management starts with you and Dad. Kids don’t need a whole new wardrobe to start school. Set the kid up for success and make sure their expectations are healthy and realistic. The bare essentials will get them by in school, and the time away during the day will give you more time to work without the cost of childcare.

1 Like

You can private message me. What does your daughter need? I can send some stuff from Amazon for school supplies.

5 Likes

I tell her the truth no sugar coating, how else will they understand

1 Like

Talk to churches and ask about back to school supply help lots of churches help or know of places that help

1 Like

Check with your local churches and YMCA/YWCA.

OP please PM me; I would love to help.

7 Likes

By saying look we are broke. We have no money fir extra right now

Get a job opposite shift of your husband. Or even the hours that your daughter is in school.

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure Ingles does back to school drives. Call them

I pray for you and your finances to get better :pray: I know it’s hard hold on tight God got you…

Churches usually have back to school drives, go to your local thrift stores for clothing or use marketplace for her size.

Some churches have clothes closets that you can go to and get stuff…its usually pretty good things! Check good will too! Just get her what she needs to start and go from there! She’s 5…she probably doesn’t even realize that she needs anything. She doesn’t need top of line things…walmart has backpacks sometimes that are plain colored and simple that are like 5$…you’ll make it work!

You just say we broke, plain and simple. Life hard and it’s better they find out now

3 Likes

Ask for family sponsors to help with things…

Thrift stores are a blessing.

2 Likes

Apply for food assistance without your husband on the application

If your kid is 5 and goes to school maybe apply for a job for yourself two incomes are better than one I was a sahm till my kids all started school and now I work… But for your question just be straight up…

3 Likes

I’m praying for y’all and sending positive vibes that everything works out. Kids don’t remember when they went without they just remember how much you tried!

It’s OK to ask for help.
Google. Local organizations. I personally run one that helps people with clothes from newborn to 5x in adults . Plus I do food box’s. So I know there is help out there. If you have smaller children ages w and younger . Check out a local diaper pantry or pregnancy center near you. Ours helps out with everything a baby to 2 yr. Old needs. Including clothes. Google local food pantries they normal help even if you don’t qualify for food stamps. Don’t be afraid to call the school and ask if they have any programs. I know my kids elementary has a back pack and supplies / clothes and shoes program.
Look up face book groups around you that help people . Even if you make a post of the sizes of clothes everyone would need. Someone might have extra . Like I just gave away all my daughters 6x clothes as she won’t be able to wear them. She hit a growth spirt. I bet 80% will be used for school there’s in such good shape . Someone could possibly help you also.

Some people are going to be a$$ . Don’t let them get you down . You are brave abs strong enough to seek help . :muscle:t2:

Best of luck momma :kissing_heart:

When the child is in school you go to work.

2 Likes

I’m in the same exact spot as you :pensive:

Get a school hours job… this will provide for all your child’s needs as well as well as not needing to put them into and pay for care. 🫶🏻💚

1 Like

You need to get a job. Even if it’s doing door dash or something along that line. Instacart, etc. Do you can do it while your kids are at school. Don’t let him be the main provider. Extra income on your end helps even if it’s 200, 300 dollars a week.

2 Likes

She’s 5. You don’t tell her anything. She doesn’t need to carry that burden. She’s a child. Get with other moms to make sure that her needs are met and possibly some wants. Talk to her teacher. But don’t put that on her

12 Likes

My husband is the main provider at the moment. But we’ve worked opposite schedules him days me nights or work part time on his days off if she’s in school that’s a good window for you to find a job.

Also maybe call the school an ask for assistance I know some help

1 Like

I just tell them. It’s part of life unless you are born into money… :woman_shrugging: you’ll have good weeks and bad weeks, and if I know I can afford it and it’s not unreasonable, I tell them they have to wait. My boys are now 13 and 11. As you stated things have been tight. I told them both they better learn how to wash cars, mow lawns, or shovel because I already work 10-12 hours a day and so does my husband. Unless it’s something they need, they’re going to have to work for what they want just like us.

2 Likes

You don’t tell your kids that! That is the responsibility of the parents to worry about, don’t put that burden on the kids.

6 Likes

we always told our kids we didnt have money, they didnt have flash things but did get a few bits and pieces as we were able to earn more money in better jobs. was it hard yes, have we had food vouches yes we have, but we made it through , it also teaches them that they JUST cant have everything right here and now and has to wait

Check with local moms groups.

I don’t tell my kids. Money is an adult issue kids don’t need to know about.

7 Likes

You can easily contest the denial and probably get a better result, make sure you’re putting down every penny of what’s going out for bills.

u jist tell them . cant get w.e it is they want caus eu dont have the money.

1 Like

First off you need to change your mindset. You are NOT broke, you are just like the rest of us that do not a large savings account. When I was a child, I did not think we were poor or broke. We had a house, the lights came on, we had running water and even a black and white tv. There were 7 children, 2 parents and 2 grandparents all living under the same roof. The kids never knew we were broke/poor. It’s called not living beyond your means. Cook from scratch everyday. Plan meals, fun days, make gifts on holidays with what you have. Cornbread and beans are a wonderful filling meal for everyone, even the dog! Go on freecycle.org to get what you need for free. People donate kids clothes all the time and even advertise them for free or very cheap. Most churches have a clothes closet to help out. There are lots of organizations that will help. All you have to do is ask. What talent do you have that you could swap for something you need? Good luck!:heart:

3 Likes

I might have clothes that would fit her? Maybe school supplies. I live in hillsboro mo. What supplies are needed ? What size?

2 Likes

I’m a single mom and we go thrift shopping, fortunately my daughter likes it.

5 Likes