How do you wash chicken?

Are you supposed to wash your chicken before you cook it and if you are how on the world are you supposed to wash it? my boyfriends parents are coming over for dinner tomorrow and he literally was told to ask me if i wash my chicken…what does that even mean?

127 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you wash chicken? - Mamas Uncut

Lol washing chicken actually introduces bacteria to your entire kitchen. Cooking thoroughly kills any bacteria or germs.

4 Likes

No. Don’t wash your chicken.

Don't Wash Your Chicken - MN Dept. of Health.

2 Likes

I don’t wash it I don’t even know what that means :rofl: but I do rinse it with warm water everytime.

1 Like

I wash mine in a bowl with some lukewarm water, vinegar & a cut up lemon. Scrub the chicken with the lemon while it’s in the water & vinegar. It just gets all the slimy stuff off.

5 Likes
1 Like

Your not supposed to wash your chicken before hand. It causes bacteria to spread through it.

4 Likes

Wash chicken with water salt and lemon- I would not eat unwashed chicken

4 Likes

Noooo do not wash your chicken!! Even look it up.

2 Likes

You don’t wash chicken

4 Likes

I usually take mine in the shower with me and scrub it up real good with a loofah and some dove :smirk:

28 Likes

If you “wash” your chicken, it usually just means putting under water, rinsing and rubbing the clean filmy stuff off … but its not a must

2 Likes

Just rinse it with water before cooking it

3 Likes

Pat it dry with paper towel. Don’t wash it

1 Like

No! I went to culinary school and one of the first things we learned was to never wash poultry! It will contaminate your entire kitchen… this is also a huge debate topic…

8 Likes

No. Washing your chicken spreads bacteria. Every water particle from it will be contaminated. Cooking is sufficient enough to kill off all bacteria.

2 Likes

Tell them yes and proceed to cook the meal, they’ll never know the difference

4 Likes

I do not wash it I rinse it with water plain water

No!! :face_with_peeking_eye: What a way to chuck bacteria all around your kitchen!

6 Likes

No you are not supposed to wash your chicken. It’s an outdated practice from when we used to raise and butcher our own. If bought from a store this process is already done. I do however trim and rinse and pat dry before seasoning.

6 Likes

Just put in a bowl with cool water.

You can always go to Morrisons to get already cook chicken :wink: :laughing:

Always rinse with cold water before you cook chicken :blush:

4 Likes

This is 100% a cultural thing. My mother in law washes chicken, she just rinses it real good and picks off yucky feathers and imperfections. Some people use lemon and salt, others use vinegar.

6 Likes

Use Dawn dish soap it kills everything :wink:

5 Likes

You never need to wash or rinse your chicken if you do you’re just spreading germs around

5 Likes

I wonder if they ask every restaurant that they go to if they wash the chicken… I wouldn’t even worry about it and cook as you normally do. Sounds like they are already trying to start drama :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Not unless you intend to scrub down your kitchen after you’ve washed it. Causes bacteria from the chicken to collect and spread around. Proper cooking is more than enough

2 Likes

No no no! :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil: that is SO bad and spreads bacteria everywhere :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

You don’t wash chicken. What is wrong with people. You’re just rinsing bacteria onto the other surfaces in your kitchen.
Cooking the chicken to temp is what kills the bacteria.

1 Like

Bride, pat dry with a papertowel

Never rinse your chicken under the tap.
It spread bacteria

3 Likes

You are not supposed to rinse or wash chickens

1 Like

You gonna get the SALMONELLLLLL :joy:

4 Likes

Never wash chicken wtf :flushed:

3 Likes

Just say of course and do your thing :woman_shrugging:t2: they’ll be fine

6 Likes

I always rinse, not wash mine, how do you know that the butcher didn’t drop a certain piece on the floor and just pick it up and put it in the package and seal it

6 Likes

You wash it with vinegar or lemon juice. Then rinse with cool water. Try not to splash any chicken juice anywhere. Just clean up you’re cooking area with some antibacterial spray or cleaning solution after you wash the chicken but before you cook it.

5 Likes

Boyfriends mother already starting her sh.t

14 Likes

Simply rinse the raw chicken under cool running water. It’s that simple. Enjoy your dinner!:hugs:

2 Likes

It literally makes no sense to wash meat and poultry before cooking. It will not take care of any pathogens, the threat is inside of the meat, and proper cook temps kill anything you have concerns about. I know someone is gonna say “that’s how my memaww did it” but memaww was wrong. Food handling safe practice wins this argument. Do you think restaurants wash your meat?

6 Likes

I was taught washing the already processed meat invites bacteria 100% more than not

4 Likes

For the ones saying it’s spreading bacteria don’t know how to clean up after themselves and probably flush the toilet with their toothbrush out in the open. You can tell by these comments who food to eat and whose you shouldn’t.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a trick question lol maybe no is the right answer.

1 Like

No, you are not supposed to wash chicken
It’s an old idea that isn’t used anymore because it was found to be scientically unnecessary and also increases the risk of cross contamination.

7 Likes

?? U could make lasagna??

3 Likes

You take the innards, if any, that are wrapped and stuffed in the body or neck cavity of the chicken out, and hold the bird under the faucet and let cold water run over and through the bird. Rubbing the outer and inner surfaces to remove any debris. Then pat dry with paper towels.

I figure cooking will do the job

1 Like

Say you brined it that will count as a wash but don’t wash it as all you do is spread raw chicken juices everywhere which can possible spread to items that will help spread it more

1 Like

NO! It used to be normal practice but now we have learned that washing a chicken just causes higher chanice of cross contamination of salmonella.

11 Likes

After leaving my previous job 12 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer jobs for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $14950… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://MakeMoney31.pages.dev

You don’t wash chicken :rofl:

3 Likes

Wash it by removing skin and excess fat, feathers or cartilage depending on how you like your chicken.
Rinse it with hot water and lime out vinegar to remove any slime, residue and “smells” from the factory/ processing plant.

Do not wash with soap, you can do this in a big bowl on the counter so you aren’t “spreading germs” and then you just wash your sink with soap and disinfectant when you are done emptying the bowl down the drain.

8 Likes

I always rinse my chicken inside and out, just to make sure there is no dry blood … then I stuff it with potato, carrots celery half an apple and cross the legs tie it then put butter on the skin, with a touch of turmeric

1 Like

My husband is Arab and Arabs always wash their chicken! Scrub it with salt and fresh :lemon:! Clean it for about 20 minutes and wala…he’s cleaned

1 Like

Rinse it under running water.

3 Likes

That means hes probably black and you’re white. Period :joy:

You don’t have to wash your chicken.

5 Likes

Just get kfc and say you made it. So much easier. I did this with beef tips when i first met my husband. That may be why we are married… Lmfao

1 Like

You just rinse it off with cold water and then pat it dry. That’s how I was taught to “wash” chicken.

3 Likes

Nooooo!!! It does NOTHING! Is unnecessary and can only spread germs to sink and surrounding areas.

6 Likes

Any food which is to be coocked doesnt need any washing once it boils the bacterias dies ,any just say yes mother inlaw is just beign naughty

2 Likes

No… please do not wash the chicken…that is unnecessary! There are people out here using bleach to wash their chicken & posting videos of themselves doing it & telling people to do this which is very dangerous! There are a lot of people in this world that are very gullible & will do anything they see someone else doing or believe something just because they saw it on the internet.

6 Likes

Invite his mother to help prepare the meal explain you are new to this

2 Likes

Wash it with lime scrub it good rinse and season

1 Like

Is this an American thing? In the UK you definitely are not meant to wash chicken, or any meat actually

3 Likes

Just say yeah and do whatever u do

3 Likes

No you do not need to wash any meats. Look it up! Anyone who can actually cook, all chefs, they are in unanimous agreement on this topic. It is actually more dangerous to wash your chicken and can lead faster to cross contamination. I once watched a video of someone doing this with UV lights and I was amazed just how far it went all over her kitchen

5 Likes

People wash chickens to rinse bacteria off. This is why they are asking

But there have been updated saying now that rinsing chicken causes any bacteria -salmonella - to spread further.

5 Likes

You can rinse it off but it is not necessary. Say yes and just continue on with what you normally do.

5 Likes

We’re gonna need a follow up to this when you tell her what you do…and her reasoning. I’ll pop the popcorn…

1 Like

You wash it with water clean the left over feather off.

3 Likes

dont wash just rub seasoning on and bake or fry

1 Like

Most definitely wash it

1 Like

Bit of radox under the pits and between the legs :rofl: I’m.sorry

2 Likes

I have never heard to wash it, but to just make sure it’s cooked to the correct temperature and that’s all that’s needed for it to be safe to eat.

I was raised to wash it, but then I grew up and now science says not to, because it gets splatter everywhere and doesn’t actually prevent salmonella. The only way to prevent salmonella is to properly cook your chicken to temp.

If it’s this big of an issue I’d just order pizza tbh or make something else. I have anxiety though and would be afraid they thought I lied about washing the chicken, so that’s why I’d just not make chicken.

1 Like

Most data says do not wash chicken. As someone who processes a lot of my own meat, I like to rinse off whatever I’m cooking before I cook it. You can’t wash off bacteria, but you can rinse off any dirt, hair, etc. As long as you clean your sinks and don’t cross contaminate anything, you don’t have to worry about spreading bacteria.

4 Likes

Must be Caribbean pppl lol we wash it with lemon or lime then drained and then colk

1 Like

She means rinse it with water. To get bone/feather fragments off.

1 Like

girl i asked my mom she said just run water over it and rinse it off then sprinkle a little salt over it then season it or whatever your gonna do to it

3 Likes

Honestly… I wouldn’t cook for anybody that told somebody to ask me anything… rinse ya meat tho folks :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I rinse it off with water. Remove any feathers that may still be on it, and take off excess fat. Remove pack of heart, liver, neck if inside the cavity.

Some people rinse it of in the sink… seriously it’s not needed, but it doesn’t hurt or change anything. Don’t and say you did or do.

Just tell them you’re not making chicken lol

2 Likes

Just run it under water…I check for feathers at this point…the put it in a bowl or however you choose to prepare yours

Experts say you shouldn’t bc then bacteria splashes everywhere. But tell the crazies you do so they’ll stfu and not give an earful to your boyfriend.

My mom never washed chicken. I don’t either. All cooking shows I watch tell me not to either.

1 Like

I just rinse mine under cool water

We definitely clean/rinse our chicken in our house.

Sometimes I wash sometimes I don’t. I forget :joy: the only thing I do every single time is pull off extra fat.

I soak my chicken raw in salt and a little white vinegar and lemon. I rinse it after 10 mins? Pat it dry and then marinate it

2 Likes

I don’t :woman_shrugging:t3:

I find it’s maybe a cultural thing. I’m in the uk and don’t know anyone who does.

2 Likes

Omg sooo many comments saying you wash chicken :hear_no_evil: DON’T wash your chicken!!! You literally aren’t supposed to because it can contaminate your kitchen. I’ve worked in the food industry for years and am food safety certified. Washing chicken is a big no-no.

8 Likes

A little cold water and some vinegar will do you right. I do it in a bowl in the sink, then rinse them off and pat dry. Then season, dredge, fry it up, whatever!

1 Like

Bowl of cold water with the tap running. Make sure to bleach your sink right after you wash it. The bowl helps with the water splashing.

2 Likes

With water!! Whaaaa? Who doesn’t know this?

1 Like

U don’t wash it. That’s like a thing lately and it’s not necessary. You don’t have to wash your chicken :roll_eyes: it actually spreads shit all over the place.

I soak my chicken in water and white vinegar for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse

1 Like

The only reason they say not to wash it, is because of cross-contamination that can happen. If you’re super careful, you can avoid the cross-contamination and still wash it off. I washed mine off because I have found little bits of bone fragment and pieces of feather before in mind that I would not have called if I hadn’t washed it.

3 Likes