How honest should I be with my children about where babies come from?

Im honest with my kids. I have an 8 year old and an 11 year old. If they are asking, chances are they already have an idea. And i want my kids to have correct information

9 Likes

I would answer honestly of what they asked, no more and no less.

2 Likes

Just tell them. There’s no shame in educating on this stuff. Better to start early so they have the proper and correct information.

4 Likes

I have been totally honest with my 3 sons since they can easily google it. I would speak to each one alone.

Honestly start with a water birth video they make it look a little less traumatizing. Not that it matters. They are about that age where if they dont see it from you they’ll see it at school or a friends house.

1 Like

There’s a book called Where Did I Come From written just for kids

Be honest but age appropriate. Make sure you use correct terminology though so they learn about their own bodies as well.

3 Likes

My kids were 4 and 6 when i had my last baby and they asked me how it came out and i explained it to them and showed them videos of how the baby comes out. They never have asked how it got in there tho lol. Some people have called me a bad mom for educating them while they are so young but they are gonna find out sooner or later and honestly I would rather they get the truth from me when they ask than a made up god knows what story from someone else.

My kids were interested when I was pregnant with my twins. They were 5 & 6, I showed them a video. They weren’t too traumatized just wondered how that was possible. :joy: they didn’t ask me again that’s for sure. I’ve had c sections with all 5, and I also showed them that video.

I told my son that I pooped out his sister, through my front butt lol

1 Like

A womans vagina? What the hell is a front bottom, teach your kids their actual body parts before any further teaching is fine

7 Likes

My mom gave me this giant sexual health book when I was 5. Showed the stages of pregnancy, the different organs, how humans are made. Everything, and all scientific. No awkward talks, she just handed me the book and I went from there.
Stick with the truth, it’s the best thing for them. My daughter thought babies grew in bladders until I explained the uterus to her.

I answer each question specifically and as simple as possible. If they have a follow up question I answer it again and simple and specific as possible. This way they lead the combo and stop when they get uncomfortable. They always come back later when they want more info. It helps to let them lead the convo.

A front bottom? I would suggest with starting with basic vocabulary. Penis. Vagina. They’re words just the same as Elbow. Making something biological sound mysterious and elusive is what makes it so intriguing to children. Tell them that a baby grows in the mother’s womb/uterus until it can live on its own just like a dog, cat, cow…any mammal…and then there’s a live birth. Birth isn’t sexual. It’s natural.

6 Likes

Be completely honest and factual with them! Your kids, especially your daughter, also need to know the word “vagina”. It’s anatomy and science, which are important things for kids to know.

7 Likes

I showed my son how he was born via video on YouTube at around age 8. C section birth. He thought it was gross but cool.

My 5 year old asks how they are born and I’m honest however she has asked how they get in their and I just tell her you have to get a baby pill, swallow it and a baby grows! Once she is way older and asks I will tell her the truth but she doesn’t need to know that right now

An honest but age appropriate conversation. Could be a good segway into consent, good touch bad touch, etc. Use proper terms for body parts and explain their use. Etc.

1 Like

I tell my daughter the truth and I read her a book call “what inside your tummy, Mommy?” She loves it!

1 Like

I don’t understand why people lie to their kids when their children ask them questions nor why they act like it’s awkward to educate their children.

A stork? Pooped out front butt? Came out the belly?

Absolutely ridiculous.
Be honest with them, educate them, use proper terminology etc. If you don’t and or try to discourage their questions/inquiry you are only ensuring they won’t ask you questions and will learn the information right or wrong from someone else.

My daughter is 7.5 and has known about sex, birth control, how babies are made, sperm, eggs, pregnancy, birth, vagina, penis and the list goes on and on…for a few years. We never discourage her questions, no topic is “too adult” or “not appropriate” for her.

11 Likes

I tell my kids everything with the proper names. I think its important for them to know

5 Likes

I answered 3 older boys honestly and even showed them videos of both natural and c section and explained to them the what’s and whys. It wasn’t as uncomfortable as I first thought, and I’ll have that conversation with my 2 younger ones when they’re ready. Also I explained to my boys that children shouldn’t be talking about it with anyone else but their parents.

1 Like

My kids are 4 and 7. I had the full conversation with them; as I’m again 10 weeks pregnant. Neither one was shocked, or scared or anything. They appreciated my honestly and that I trusted them with the truth. Having babies is as natural as it comes. I try to not lie to my kids; unless I have to. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My son is an avid reader with a thirst for knowledge and found out from a science book in his school library when he was 6. He read all about menses and reproduction on his own unbeknownst to me at the time til he told me. He is now 14 and was in the room with me when I gave birth to his brother last month and cut the cord.

3 Likes

I straight up told mine that babies come out of a ladies vagina :woman_shrugging:t2: why lie and use code words and confuse them.

11 Likes

At 7 and 8 they should know it is a vagina, not a front bottom. My children can all tell you babies come from a mummys tummy. The older ones 6 and 8 can tell you they either are birthed from the vagina or the mum has an operation to help the baby be born (since I had a few c sections). My 8 year old understands that sperm and an egg make a baby and it grows in the mothers uterus. Honesty is the best policy in age/maturity level appropriateness. It isnt anything to be embarrassed about. Its a normal part of life. I have had people question the fact that my kids understand what they do, which honeslty I just dont get??, but my children are more than capable of understanding what we have answered and it hasnt done them any harm. My girls love watching birthing videos as much as I do. C section or vaginal. After my emergency c section my at the time 4 yr old (and way too cluey for her age) sat on my bed and discussed with the nurse about all the layers they cut through in my tummy :joy: nurse thought it was great

3 Likes

My 5 year old has asked so many question that I ended up watching a video from conception to birth… he loved it.

1 Like

The truth. I just had this talk with my nine year old son, we had the whole sex talk, whole shebang. No questions so far since then- he asked a few that day.

My daughter and I watch animated videos of how the baby grows and comes out. She knows its a vagina and has known since she was 3. Vagina. Penis. Use proper terminology, it is human anatomy and nothing to be shameful or embarrassed of. My kid is 5. Everytime she asks, I show her different videos, not real ones, we can look at that a little later in life. She knows women get period monthly and why and what that means for lack of implantation. She knows sex. As much as she can understand for being 5. I do not lie to or make up silly stories about stuff like this.

5 Likes

Taught my 7 yr old son my baby is coming from my vagina since he kept asking. He used the word vagina for like a week straight. He doesn’t use it anymore but he knows what it is now.

2 Likes

Super duper honest girl they gna find out anyways …there age appropriate videos like cartoons where they show exacly how …

I’d be totally honest, it’s natural. X

My 8 & 6 year olds went through my last pregnancy with me. I’ve told them women have a special place called the uterus and that’s where the baby grew.

If they’re old enough to ask, they’re old enough to get an answer. I’m a scientist so I gave my girls a scientific answer. You don’t have to take them to a strip club to teach them about sex. And they shouldn’t be ashamed of their own bodies.

3 Likes

My daughter was 3 when i had a csection…i told her a baby comes out the vagina but her brother came out of my belly that they cut me open (csection)…she wanted 2 see the samples and the cut and i showed her. She was like o ok 🤷 and that was it

My daughters 9 and she wanted to know, so I told her when a mommy and daddy’s love each other they show affection in a certain way, and when the baby is ready to come out , it comes from her lady parts . She looked at me weird and said gross mom, I’m not having kids, but thank you for having me and my sister. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Be very frank and up front. 8 is definitely old enough to know where babies come from. And it’s a vagina, not a “front bottom.”

11 Likes

Show the child one born every minute my girl walked in on me watching it I was honest with her woman’s vagina

The truth… Mine are 11 (boy), 9 (girl) & 6 months… The big kids both know I was on birth control & that my boyfriend (of 5 years) & I got pregnant because we had sex… Kids should know baby’s come from sex, kids should know penis, vagina & that boys & girls are different… Be honest with them & never lie to kids about sex or sex organs!!

Edited to add… My kids also know vaginas bleed & that it’s called a period… They know what tampons, pads & menstrual cups are… They’ve had this knowledge since like age 3 or 4…

Please use correct terms with anatomy. Nothing to be Ashamed of using correct terminology. Even at young ages. You’ll be thankful you did later on in life.

That being said how much detail you go in should be age appropriate. I suggest visiting the library for reading with your kids to help ease the awkwardness.

3 Likes

If they like reading maybe look into books like perfectly normal. Also seeing as you have a girl, it’s not too far off from the time of the menstrual cycle chat. That book will help you with it.

Also please remember you really should be upfront and honest with them as they are school aged and can find out more and things not being taught properly if you don’t work with them now

I was pregnant when my son was nine. A preacher’s son was our babysitter. One day my son announced that he knew all about the baby in my belly. I said, “Tell me. :blush:” My son proceeded to tell me exactly what was going on. :laughing: He told me things I wasn’t sure about! :rofl: The preacher’s son had told him.

I told mine exactly and In detail. About 9 years old when i was asked. And then i answered any questions i was asked. But at least i knew they had the honest truth

4 Likes

Use the truth. Idk why people always get so embarrassed when it comes to a new child to be born. Use age appropriate talk but still. Be honest. They’ll thank you for it later.

1 Like

TL;DR - tell them what you feel comfortable with them knowing.
My daughter will be 18 months old when I deliver the son I’m currently pregnant with. I have every intention of her being at my home water birth and witnessing it first hand. My intentions with her and my coming son will always be knowing proper anatomy terms and correct explanations of bodily functions from a young age.
On the flip side, today my seven year old step son asked me how the baby was going to get out of my tummy. Not my place. :woman_shrugging:t4: As far as I know he doesn’t even know what a vagina is yet and I’m not the one to explain that to him. I let my husband and his mom know that I told him “it’s complicated and I will tell you when you’re older.” They can take it from there. Every parent has a preference on how much they want their children to know.

3 Likes

The truth works. Use the CORRECT terms!

4 Likes

Ive always said I would be open with my children about sex and babies that way when they are old enough to be sexually active they feel comfortable enough to come to me so I can make sure they are safe.

2 Likes

The truth. Answer what they ask, using correct anatomical terms.

2 Likes

My kids were 7 and 9 when i was prefnant with my 3rd. We explained how a baby was born? Scientific body anatomy. Doesnt have to be weird.

The truth and be accurate, use correct terms.

Vagina. Not front bottom. Just use the right terms so it isnt weird. Just another body part. Laugh if you need to. It can be awkward…but just be open and honest. Answer the questions they ask, dont have to go into every single thing.

4 Likes

Be honest and use correct terms, let them see a video. They are old enough

It seems a bit early to introduce them to that type of very graphic video. Absolutely, answer their questions honestly and use correct anatomical words. I’m thinking perhaps a book geared towards their age group with illustrations instead of a very graphic video. I always answered my kids questions honestly. If they were old enough to ask, they were old enough for an answer. If you wait until they are old enough to be sexually active it could very well be too late to answer the questions.

2 Likes

Me and husband don’t hide much from the kids. I’m sure we’ll explain it all (probably I’m too much detail) when the time comes. But for now I’m just trying to make my daughter understand that mommy is pregnant and it’s not cause I ate too much and she, being 3, is not pregnant after lunch. :joy:

6 Likes

My 5yo daughter has been asking and I told her that babies can be made in many ways (scientists can help 2 women or 2 men to have a baby for example) but generally a man and a woman have special cuddles and then the woman grows the baby in her tummy and then pushes it out her vagina (I explained that it stretches)
I glossed over the worst of it and told her outright she wasn’t old enough to hear it all yet but she was pretty happy with the answer.

Talk about brain growth and how their brains have to be ready to take on some information so you won’t tell them specifics for now but they’re old enough to have a general idea.

1 Like

Keep everything simple on a need to know basis. Refer to the body parts in correct terms. You dont need to go into too much depth at this age. Tell them when they are older they can know more

If your daughter is 8 she already needs the whole birds and bees talk. Girls often start menses as early as 8.

2 Likes

I’m up front with mine I have always been they are going to know rather it’s from you of someone else no reason to hide it

2 Likes

I tell my kids the exact truth. Anything my kids want to know, I tell them. We have a very opened relationship. I dont hide anything from them. They feel like they can talk to me about anything.

3 Likes

My daughters 4 & almost 2 know where babies come from. They watch videos all the time. My oldest was there when her sister was born. Birth is a natural and beautiful thing. Dont hide it.

2 Likes

Plus always ALWAYS use correct terminology. Not only for this reason. But God forbid if your child was ever abused then how would they possibly describe what happened if they dont know what things are called? Monsters have gotten away with it because children dont know enough about themselves to gove an accurate testimony and they wear the children down from confusion.

7 Likes

I think they are to young yet to be knowing everybdetail

my niece is 7, and when her mom was close to giving birth again two years ago she started asking questions… my sister also had c-sections so my niece knows baby’s are in the tummy and when it’s ready for the baby to come out, the mommy pushes and if she can’t mommy gets a little cut to help and the doctors get the baby out.

My daughter isn’t old enough to be curious yet but I plan on completely telling her the truth. If she is old enough to want to be in the room when we decide to have another baby she will be there also. I don’t see the point in trying to cover up where babies really come from. Its nothing to be scared of.

There is a book called It’s Not the Stork! By Robie H. Harris. Look into that

1 Like

I’ve always believed if they’re old enough to ask, they’re old enough to know. Always use proper terminology. Keep the graphic details age appropriate, being more graphically detailed each time the question is asked. Don’t lie to them or give cutesy names to things. It’ll make them feel uneasy talking to you when it’s REALLY important. Sex and birth are normal, natural, and healthy things and there is no reason for anyone to feel ashamed about it. They should know the details by the time puberty starts. Definitely before 6th grade. 3rd or 4th grade is preferable, IMO. Some girls are having their periods at 8,9, 10 years old. Hell, I started mine at 10 during the '92-'93 school year, so starting early isn’t a new thing.

4 Likes

I have girls so it was easier to explain. Use the correct words so they know what’s going on. I just said that a baby grows in the moms belly. When the baby gets big enough it comes out of the moms vagina, or in my case, they have to cut right above the vagina to get the baby out. It was my stepdaughter that I had to explain it to when I had my daughter. I was 31 so I did tell her that it hurt so bad that she can’t handle it until she’s 30 :joy:. I actually don’t think it hurt as bad as I thought it was going to, I’ve had tooth aches that hurt worse than labor and the c-section healing!

Tell the truth. My six and five year old grandkids were in the room when my daughter had her baby a few months ago. They were fascinated! They don’t know about sex yet because it hasn’t been the time for that talk but they know about how babies grow inside a mommy.

My daughter is turning 9 in a few days and we just had the sex talk a few weeks ago .
I didn’t show her any videos or get super graphic with her but I explained a womans parts and a mans parts and showed her diagrams of each and explained the process of becoming pregnant … I answered all her questions and didnt push it any further than i felt needed .
Sure its awkward , but would you rather them find out from kids at school or learn from you ? You need to just be honest and dont go too extreme , there’s plenty of time to get more descriptive in the future , I’d reccomend keeping it as basic as you can for the time being.
Good luck Momma :relaxed:

2 Likes

There is a book and a video I rented from our local library. I believe it’s called “Where Do Babies Come From?”. I can’t remember the author though. Everything is worded and visualized so a child can understand. When your kids start asking questions, it’s time, and I was so glad to have the help in explaining it all.

You tell them the truth, using proper terminology. You answer their questions. And if they seriously want to watch a birthing video - why not let them? Educate them. Don’t propagate ignorance. If you don’t tell them the facts, they will search for them somewhere else and not trust you with those kinds of topics.

5 Likes

“Front bottom” really made me cringe. Use the correct terms for the love of God :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I tell my kids the truth in as much of an age appropriate way as possible because I DO NOT want them asking someone else and being misinformed. I will not lie to my kids. They need our guidance and to know we listen to them and are honest with them. They can ALWAYS come to us for the truth.

2 Likes

Um just tell them…

1 Like

My daughter at 5 was watching one born every minute with me and loving it. I personally like being honest and upfront with my kiddos when they ask these kinds of questions.

2 Likes

Mine are 8&10 (boys) we’ve had the talk. When they have questions I answer honestly and explain with science, using correct terminology.

1 Like

Use the real words. No coo coo and poo poo shit.

5 Likes

My best friend is pregnant with her second, and my 5 year old was asking these questions. I told her babies come out of mommy’s vaginas (yes we use proper terms for private parts) She then asked if it was gross and I replied “yes but in a beautiful way.” That seemed to satisfy her curiosity :joy:

9 Likes

Well we had sex ed in 3 rd grade. My son is 6 and o showed him my csection scar. I told him that’s how he was born and how his sister will be born. He was fine with it as long as it didn’t hurt me :joy:.

2 Likes

be 100% honest with them! telling them made up fairy tales just isn’t right in my eyes same with pet names for genitalia! My kids where 5 and 4 when i fell pregnant with their little sister they wanted to know i told them! They know about the different way to birth a baby! Different ways families have babies for example adoption, ivf/iui, surrogacy and egg and sperm donations! It’s really helped them become accepting and understanding of different family cultures! I would maybe wait on the birthing videos for now and start with a book that’s age appropriate you can read to them this one pictured is great has drawings and tells a story!

3 Likes

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-amazing-true-story-of-how-babies-are-made-fiona-katauskas/book/9780733333880.html

1 Like

My 1st kid: I’ll never lie to my son
3 kids later and he asks (5years old)
I grew you in my belly and than pooped you out
:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m not sure why people wont just tell them the truth. Dont make it awkward talking about vaginas & birth… it’s a natural normal beautiful thing… it shouldn’t be stigmatized or hidden…

1 Like

Front bottom? At least use the right terminology. My daughter is 4 and knows. Pregnant with my 2nd, she is very curious

1 Like

It’s better you get the chance to teach them well and answer further questions that may not be covered somewhere else.

My 10 year old helped catch her brother as I was delivering and helped look at his placenta both my mum and I have been completely honest about everything that happens so it’s not a taboo subject and she can ask questions openly I think it’s great for kids to know or they will always find a way to learn it themselves

1 Like

I’m honest with my kids…but I have all girls so they need to know anyway

My kids have known since 4&5. Likely before that honestly but I just remember drawing how it would be if I had to have a cesarean then cause I was pregnant with their baby sister.

Why do people act like it’s such a taboo subject to talk about with children. My 6yo knows that him and his baby sister grew inside my body and that they were birthed out through my vagina. There is absolutely nothing awkward about it. More people need to be open and honest about sex in general with children, so as they grow and have more questions they know they can come to you for answers. It also peeves the hell out of me when parents use pet names for privates, boys have penises, girls have vaginas… The truth! Tell the truth!

1 Like

My sons 3&6 almost both know babies can come out of tummies. (I have hAd all csections) but they also know some babies come out of vaginas. Neither of them were weirded out by it or overly talk about it. I just made sure to tell them that not all parents tell their kids where babies come from so I don’t want him(kindergartener) to talk about it with other kids not even his cousins. No problems so far it’s been over a year. N my oldest 6 knows he can ask questions openly, he asked me in the car the other day how come his baby sister was gonna come out the belly and not vagina. I told him cause not all babies can come out that way. Sometimes babies are just too big to come out that way. (Idk if that was the best answer but he thought it was logical. N it is the reason mine don’t come that way.

1 Like

Chances are they already know ,they just want to see what you say n watch you squirm.:roll_eyes::thinking::roll_eyes::smirk::hushed:

Keep it simple tell them the basics and do your best to answer any questions, I was open with my son when he was young but when he asked how the baby got in there I told him mummy’s and daddy’s so a thing called making love and I would explain all about that when he needed to know as he was too little to understand but he knows everything else, names including some slang ones, (only my son would want to cock his leg like the dog and then run down the street screaming cock at the top of his lungs :woman_facepalming:)

I love that you just referred to your vagina as a front bottom.
The Front Bottoms are my favourite band

I would skip the videos for another year or 2 and just find a book with diagrams but not real pics.

Be honest with them but I’d not show them an actual woman giving birth, rather a "diagramatical’ video… If that makes sense. Not as traumatic, just learn able… X

We are completely open and honest with our kids (2,8,11). The two oldest know the different functions of body parts and how babies are made and born and that breastfeeding is not shameful or sexual. Educate him about the human body. Don’t leave it up to society or sugar coat it. Keep it age appropriate and be honest. Parents lack of or inability to talk to kids about sensitive subjects leads to confusion and complete misunderstanding. Please use appropriate names for body parts and help them understand that it’s nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed of.

1 Like

theyre kids! they don’t need to know how sex works!! videos?! like porn??

1 Like

My four year old asked me where they came from while we were laying in bed the other night and I literally told her they come out of a mommy tummy. She said how do they get out? I was like through the vagina. It’s not hard to be honest with kids.

My sons 5 and he saw his sister being born. He was just fine lol honesty is key. And also it will keep them from being so immature about it growing up. My son is super comfortable in asking me questions too even about his own body, and I tell him the truth. :woman_shrugging:t2: If you’re not weird or awkward about it they won’t be either.