How late should kids be out at night?

So I wanted to ask ? Anonymously so I was wondering how late is to late for a 10 year old kid in under to play outside so I live in apartments the kids seem to stay out past 12oclock at nite running and screaming there heads off I bothers me kuz there right under are windows in they don’t even live by us in we have work in the am in there parents seem to not care what can be done I tryed talking to management they seem to not care at all they say there not responsible for others people kids in I get that but I’m like what should I do

119 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How late should kids be out at night? - Mamas Uncut

I would say 10 PM and with parent supervisor.

Call the cops. Where are the parents?! 10 and under, not okay

4 Likes

kids should be inside by 8pm and if it keeps being a problem you can always call the local law authorities about it especially if these young children are out that late alone.

2 Likes

Is there parents out side watching them or are they alone if they no supervision I might be a little concerned but nothing you can do I don’t think

I’m not sure on the laws where your from but where I live after 10pm is the noise ordinance. So if they are being loud and destructive that late then you would have to call the police. I would personally try and talk to parents first then if that doesn’t help any then call police.

1 Like

Midnight?! What! Personally I’d contact ss

There’s no way I would ever let my kids be out that late. Have you tried talking to the parents?

If that doesn’t work then You can check your city laws. If there is a noise ordinance or a curfew you could call the police. Maybe that will make the parents be parents.

I’d call the police if I heard unsupervised kids outside at the time of night.

5 Likes

Clearly parents are not paying attention at that house and do not care. No way I’d let mine out that late. They should be in bed anyway for school. Like my mom use to say nothing good happens after dark.

1 Like

Is there a city wide curfew?

1 Like

Lol My 7 and 10 yr old go to bed at 8pm and definitely don’t go running around outside without adult supervision. In the end though, I suppose till whenever quiet hrs start/whatever your laws say about required supervision for what ages. Where I live, it’s 10pm-6am.

Yeah that’s a no for me. When the street lights come on or when the sun starts to go down is when you need to come home. Nothing good happens after dark 

2 Likes

A child should not be out like that unsupervised after dark. I would say have your kid come in at 8 pm. Nothing good happens that late anyway.

4 Likes

My kid will be 11 soon if he does go out to play which is hardly ever he knows he has to be inside before dark… but that’s just me…

Usally there are local laws in place
We where not legally allowed to be out past 10 or the cops would pick us up

4 Likes

School night- 8:00pm with parents
Weekend/holiday- 10pm with parent

Either way… they need a parent.

4 Likes

Call the police after 11 pm. There’s usually a noise ordinance.

4 Likes

Talk to law enforcement each town has a curfew for kids

2 Likes

Sounds way too late. 8pm maybe 9:30 on weekends and summer

1 Like

That’s crazy. I ca.e in around 8 or 9. Never that late.

No I have a 5 year old and 8 year old and they’re in bed at 8 9 on the weekends

My almost 10 year old is in bed by 830 on school nights. Weekends is a little later.

3 Likes

Im.surprised that the apartment doesn’t have a quiet hours?!.

2 Likes

If it’s a weekday I have my kids in by 8:30 at the latest, usually 8 though. Weekends for us are 10 at the latest but we don’t live in the best area so usually earlier unless we are out and away from home

10 years old & under??? 7-8:00 at the latest! And THIS parent would be out there too if you’re in a city or town! Trust NO ONE

4 Likes

That’s way too late where are their parents. When I let my 14 year old go out she’s absolutely in by dark

1 Like

I believe after 10 pm it’s a noise complaint because their disturbing the peace. Call your local pd non emergency number of course.

2 Likes

If unattended I would say a responsible parent would have their kids accounted for before sundown.

I tell mine it’s time to come in when the outside light comes on.

1 Like

A 10yr old? When it’s dark they should be in. During the summer my teenage daughter will go for walks outside. We live in a safe area and she has to be in by 9pm. She will be 16 this summer. After 9pm she can hang out in the yard until like 9:30 but even that’s pushing it for me.
But in my opinion a kid doesn’t need to be outside after 9pm, if the kid is 10 I would probably say 7-8pm

My 10 year old is in bed by 830 on weeknight during school. Weekends by 930. During the summer it’s always 930 unless we are out doing things. We don’t live in a neighborhood or anything but I still wouldn’t let her be out in our own yard past 8 on no school nights

My kids are 7 and 9, regularly play outside with the neighbor kids and they’re supposed to be home by dark. So it can range between 6-730ish. Their bedtime is 9, 10 on weekends. I can’t imagine any kids outside playing after midnight!

Wow that’s crazy
My children are 12&13 and are inside when it’s dark out unless with me.

1 Like

Most places have a curfew for kids. I would think 10 year olds would have to be in by 9:00 unless out with a parent going somewhere. A lot of noise ordinances say 10:00 on weekdays, midnight on weekends. I would check with your local law enforcement and see. If it’s earlier than these kids have been out, ask to have a patrol car swing through your apartment complex for awhile to curtail the troublemakers. You don’t have to let the people know who called. The police will just say they’ve had complaints. It may not stop it forever. You may have to call again and have the police resume the drive throughs once they’ve stopped, but it should stop a lot of it.

1 Like

if they aren’t your kids & management doesn’t do anything, you’re fighting a losing battle.

10 years old: i had to be in the house before it got dark unless i was at a friend’s house and made arrangements to get dropped off at home/picked up or i was spending the night.

1 Like

Wow, those parents really don’t care and the managers don’t care :woman_shrugging:t3: Call the police
Parents will get a nice shock and if they don’t control them they will get taken away

2 Likes

Look into curfew and if there is one report them

With the world changing for the worst, I’d keep my kids at home after dark…accompany them to the places they go in daylight as much as possible.

1 Like

my 11 year old starts quiet time in his room at 8 on weekdays with a 9pm lights out. weekends its more like be home by 8, quiet time at 9 and lights out around 10

1 Like

Call police if it is 12 am

4 Likes

10pm should be curfew/quiet hours. I’d be calling the cops. My kids are all in bed by 9. Including my 13yr old

1 Like

My 14/15 year old has to be in by 9.30…go figure…the parents don’t care :flushed:

3 Likes

For a 10 year old outside playing the latest 7pm during the week as for the weekend 10pm with adult supervision. They need to be supervised.

4 Likes

Mine are 13 and 15. They know to be home by 8p, unless in fact they have spoke to me about any changes.

The grammar in this post…Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh🤦‍♀️

4 Likes

Kids should be home dark. Call the police

2 Likes

Mine (13 & 10) need to be home by dark - or on a school night, 8PM (b/c sometimes it isn’t dark yet then). We are in a small subdivision.

i dont live in an apartment building but kids on our road run the block halfway through the night (which i do NOT allow my kids to do even though they want to!) we play outside but once the sun starts going down its time to go in. unless its a school night, were inside no later than 7:30

Have you attempted to contact the parents to investigate and see why they are unattended?
Maybe they’re naughty kids seeking out?
Maybe those parents need help?
It truly takes a village and some folks don’t have that…
I’d like to think there’s a good explanation, but who knows!
Proceed with caution, in these crazy times you can never be too careful!

1 Like

10 year old outside at midnight? alone? I’d call the cops. My 12 year old is in the house once it’s dark, so usually 9pm.

5 Likes

Call and make a report for disturbing the peace the parents r responsible and accountable. Not only that but wht about the safety of the kids ? pedifilers etc ! There are ordinances that have to be obeyed everywhere.

3 Likes

I’d call the cops!
Seriously if it’s that late and they are that young.
What is their home life like??
You could be doing them a serious favor
Xo

4 Likes

You should check your city’s curfew time for minors. Ours is 11pm. That is a noise disturbance. You can call non emergency dispatch and ask for an officer to come and talk to parents.

4 Likes

That’s crazy. My kids are 10 and 8 and on weekdays they are in bed by 9pm. Even in the summer my kids will be inside long before midnight. Sounds like they have parents who just don’t care. :grimacing:

1 Like

School days 7pm bed time wake up at 7am for online class then weekends they can sleep 9-10 pm. My kids are 9 and 6 yo.

WOW!! Thankfully we raised our 4 on the farm but would have never allowed them to stay up that late every night! It is a bad habit to get into. I think we all function better with a schedule of our own to help prepare them to enter school and later the work force. Bad habits can be hard to break.

My 7 year old and 13 year old are in bed by 8pm every night I would call the police

1 Like

Nine o’clock where are their parents

1 Like

We have a curfew for noise in my town. I would call and report the noise.

If there are quiet hours then demand they be enforced otherwise make a police report

1 Like

When the street lights come on then it’s time to at least be in the yard

2 Likes

Move….

Because IF you already talked to the parents in the management and nothing‘s being done nothings gonna be done… :woman_shrugging:t2: because I know you are not gonna waste the police officers time coming out over a freaking kid that is running around at 10 o’clock at night… :roll_eyes: 

Ps all you people saying call the cops…:face_with_hand_over_mouth::roll_eyes::thinking::unamused:  what is wrong with you? Our police departments are already short staff and you wanna waste their time with kids running around past curfew? These cops won’t even arrest anybody for domestic violence situations right now… they don’t care if they’re on drugs and they don’t care if you’re in public drunk… so what makes you think that the cops are gonna care of the kids out past 10 o’clock at night… five years ago yeah they would’ve been on this shit but now no… 

1 Like

Scary. Kids can be taken so easily late at night:/

10 yr olda should be inside once it gets dark or 7-8 pm. At that age mine would be in bed by 9-9:30

3 Likes

Call the cops see what they can do

2 Likes

By dark or when the street lights come on for mine, my youngest is 11. Been this sense my oldest (30) was little.

• between 9-midnight if aged 5-8 time should only be till 7"30 cause bedtime is 8:30 and so on

When the street lights come on it’s time for them to be home.

4 Likes

I would have a talk with their parents and tell them to keep them on their side of the damn apartment complex

That is just sad. A 10 year old is still a baby and the world is no longer the place it was 30 years ago. I would never let me kids stay out that late, especially at that age. Once they are adults, they can do what they please. But until that day, unless it’s a special occasion, they are to be inside before dark. This is why CPS exists. Obviously these children do not have parents that care about their well being and safety. I don’t know what you can really do tbh, but if I knew there were young children outside at that hour, I would be doing my best to keep my eye on them incase something bad happens.

6 Likes

Not much you can do. It’s obvious the parents don’t care about their kids which is sad but there is no law in place that says they can’t be out there. There is a noise ordinance and you can call the cops after that. Im sure they would look into it and the parents. Ours is 11 o clock here

Til the street lights come on

Who in the hell is letting their kids at age 10 stay up past 9 or 10pm to begin with? Let alone outside running around at midnight?

After midnight, law enforcement can take action. Stuff like this usually only occurs in Section 8 housing, and is the beginning of the continous poverty cycle from general lack of parenting. Children need structure and a schedule. Something that is clearly missing in their lives. Sad… :pensive:

1 Like

If the street lights are on then my kids know to be home.

4 Likes

That is what I call “apartment life” why I refuse to live in apartments to many neighbors and i need my privacy! You can try calling cops and tell them young kids are outside way past curfew but the fact you live in apartments thr really isn’t much u can do

I would call the police

1 Like

I think it’s crazy some people are like midnight is ok for a 10 year old. My 10 year old is in bed by 930 on school nights and then 1030-11 on weekends

7 Likes

Is there a curfew in your town for kids to be home?

1 Like

State curfew (if that’s still a thing, I know it was for minors when I was a minor) - maybe you can call and report it to the police station? That way if they are able to come in time of them being there they can then talk to the parents (because they’ll have to) about the curfew

3 Likes

There should be a city curfew and noise ordinance , call the police

4 Likes

Kids should be in the home after dark! That’s when it gets bad!

2 Likes

As a female I’m not even walking around outside by myself at that time if night.

2 Likes

Call non emergency police number and enquire what the curfew for 10 and under is.

2 Likes

It would depend on age, (until the lights come on), 16 and up, depending on where and what they’re doing and where, I would say 11:00 pm, and the rest, at the parents discretion.

Unless it’s summer in Alaska, that’s very odd.

1 Like

Call the police and tell them their is a kid outside being loud at midnight alone.

3 Likes

Psh. Street lights on, my kids are home. Unless I know where they are and who they are with, usually at someones house, inside.

Call cops. Kids have legal curfews

We live in the country and if the street light comes on they kno to come in. Only time our kids are outside at night is if we are out to. I’d say go outside and ask them where their parents are and go speak to them. If they don’t do something different see if there is a curfew law in ur area tell parents about if something doesn’t change call the cops… and tell the parents if they come back after curfew that’s exactly what u gonna do… :woman_shrugging: I bet they don’t come back lol

2 Likes

In our town 10pm is curfew for kids under 16 midnight for 16-18

Live in texas, we live in townhouses. My 13-year-old son is allowed to play till 7: 00 he has to shower & eat ECT. He will not be out late & running around nope!

1 Like

For my kids they come in when It gets dark

Move or mind your business?

1 Like

Our city curfew is 10pm.

1 Like

Can you close the windows ? You should ba able to sleep much better :woman_shrugging:

Since you are talking about other people’s children and not your own the answer is whatever their parents have decided for them. Now with that being said if the issue is noise which it sounds like it is and u have talk to the apartment building manager and they won’t do anything. You could try talking to the parents yourself if u know who they are or You could look into your local noise ordinance, most cities towns have one. here I believe the noise ordinance is like 10 possibly 11pm at night but I think it’s 10pm call the police if it’s that bad and complain about the loud noise and underage minor children outside your apartment and let them come deal with them and their parents. 10 yrs old and younger outside at 11pm/midnight or later unsupervised being loud etc. is crazy imo. My rule was always be in the yard when the streetlights came on and then if it was summer sometimes they got to stay outside and play in the yard for and extra hour but I live in a house.

Maybe the kids are actually safer outside than they are in the house. We don’t know people’s lives.

1 Like

In Australia if your 10 normal people wouldn’t allow then out past 5!