How many parents are considering home schooling due to COVID?

According to WHO school age children are less likely to develop COVID-19.

1 Like

Remote learning this year.

Doing online through her school this year.

Any free home schools for wv

As a great grandma I am concerned about wearing a mask for 6/7
hours a day and for their health :pray::pray::eyes::eyes::pray::pray::balloon:

I am keeping my kids home for sure.

Honestly, We have not decided yet.

Paying a teacher to homeschool my child.

Yes homeschooling for all 3 of mine

Im keeping all 4 of mine home

1 Like

I am going to homeschool my kidā€™s.

I will be for the 3rd year

Trying to get a group together for homeschooling.

If given the choice, I will keep my kids home

Iā€™m homeschooling due to covid

Mine are going back to school.

going to school she needs to interact with other kids her age

We are doing virtual learning.

My kids are signed up for online learning

Virtual academy here.

Mine are staying home

1 Like

Nope my kidā€™s are going

Yes ! Online for my kidsšŸ‘ŒšŸ¼

I feel exactly as you do

Keeping my 5 yr old home

Ugh, Iā€™m feeling the exact same way. :grimacing:

Not me. We start back Aug 11th!!!

Virus is nothing to be afraid of 99.9 success rate vaccines cause more deaths than this virus

This is in Florida , we really donā€™t or wonā€™t know the long term effects of this for our children

I live in Houston, and Iā€™m a high school teacher. I have a fourth grader and a pre-K child. They will be learning at home this year. I know that they will fall behind, but all of them are going to fall behind. Iā€™d rather know for certain that my children are safe. Things get worse here in Houston every day.

39 Likes

Kids make up less than 1% of positive cases and its been proven that scientifically kids very rarely transmit to adults. Back to school for mine.

13 Likes

We arnt sending our kids back to school in August/September. My husband is immunosuppressed and diabetic after a kidney transplant so we wonā€™t be taking the chance. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

12 Likes

Iā€™m super upset about this. Iā€™m so glad you asked as I havenā€™t voiced this yetā€¦ But i have 3 kids in school 1 ready for VPK. We are a family that lives pay check to pay check. Here they have given us 3 choices. Eschool virtual school and brick and mortar. I have 1 computer. There is no way i can homesechool 3 kids on one computer. So I feel like us poorer families are just stuck sending them to school and pray for the best. :sob: I donā€™t want to send em to school at all, I have a child with breathing problemsā€¦ If he gets this I donā€™t know if heā€™ll make it. But I have no other choiceā€‹:sob::sob::sob: I could help them i donā€™t think theyā€™d fall behind, but I just canā€™t do it.

2 Likes

My son is in daycare (or was anyway) and is due to move onto preschool but hasnā€™t yet due to covidā€¦ they are reopening soon but I feel like heā€™s done more learning here to prep for kindergarten than he ever did all that time at daycareā€¦ Iā€™m in school right now and theyā€™ve moved my college courses online for the fall semester so far, so Iā€™ll be keeping him home to homeschool as long as I have the opportunity to do so.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell with things changing daily out here in Tucson Arizonaā€¦ there is a chance If you send your kid to school they wont learn in person there either. They will learn online or papers while monitors basically watch small groups to ensure theyā€™re following social distancing ect ā€¦

1 Like

We are doing remote learning and if for some reason thats not a good option we will do virtual homeschooling online.

I work, so school from home has been a serious stress and juggling act for me. In the end, itā€™ll be what my daughter wants and feels most comfortable with. Iā€™m not going to deprive her of school and her friends if sheā€™s wanting to attend, but it seems sheā€™s being fed scare tactics by one of her grandmothers, so itā€™s yet to be determined how SHE truly feels

Our school is letting us do online courses in the fall. Most people are going back but we have a letter from my sons immunologist stating that my boys should not attend. I think they are also giving the option to do a few days in the classroom, and a few days online to people who are uncomfortable.It seems like a lot of people are not worried about it in Oklahoma though, so I think quite a few will be in the classroom. One school official at my sons school stated that she thought weā€™d be closed before the semester is over with. My goal is to keep my immune deficient kiddo safe (well everyone safe), but it stinks because they are the ages where being social is their number one priority. They are pretty bummed.

Not this one! Our girls struggled big time with online school they need that in person learning

My oldest is doing online school but thatā€™s cuz she has issues in regular school. I have no issue at all sending my other 2 kids to school the end of August.

Most people confuse home schooling with public online school. A public online school provides a great education with ready available teachers to teach and answer question. Choose a fully accredited online curriculum

1 Like

Joan Black Piraino Frank Restaneo read comments

I think I will this semester

Pauline Eames Rodriguez
Jess Ica

I am doing online school

I dont even know what to do.

1 Like

I am thinking about homeschooling

Thankful to be able to homeschool. With me being home, I cannot justify sending them to school. Not only because of covid, but ear infections, flu, strep throatā€¦ you name it, our kids are constantly sick during the school year. Itā€™s been so nice to have them home and healthy.

10 Likes

My kids are going. The absolutely refuse to stay home and do online if they have the option to go to school. This is also their junior and senior year of high school so I feel they are old enough to help make the decision about their education. Just like the seniors who just graduated and had their senior year ruined we need to at least let this yearā€™s seniors attempt to have a great year.

20 Likes

Definitely choosing to do virtual learning. My girls and our families health is our #1 priority. Will they miss school and socializingā€¦ Absolutely. But I highly doubt the schools are equipped to keep our children safe.

12 Likes

Iā€™m sending mine to school as soon as Texas decides what they want to do. My kids want and need to be in school for there own mental health. They have learned absolutely nothing with remote learning

14 Likes

I am!!! I feel its safer for my son. He has asthma so keeping a mask for 8 hours ainā€™t good for him and anyways there is no way he would keep it on that long he is 5

5 Likes

My daughter has to go back to school. She needs the face to face teaching to learn.
My son is going to college and living in the dorm.
I have thought thru all the safety precautions. They both have no problem wearing masks.

6 Likes

Will be home schooling if there is not an online learning option. Should find out next week if I have to go to this drastic measure because the well being of our kids are of no ones concern but my own. Very grateful that I am in a position that home schooling is even an option for us.

4 Likes

We had a horrible experience with the virtual/distance learning.
Iā€™m waiting to see how things go in the next couple weeks but itā€™s looking like I will be taking my kids out of public school entirely and teaching them myself.

5 Likes

I wish I could send the kids to school, but I canā€™t trust other parents will follow guidelines to ensure the entire safety of the schools. We have 3 immune compromised adults in our home and will also have a newborn during flu season so to ensure the safety of our home my kids will be homeschooled.
Besides, if anyone tests positive for it within the school, theyā€™ll shut it back down anyways.

4 Likes

As much as my kids have drove me crazy since school has been out, I have chose to do homeschool because itā€™s best for my kids and itā€™s also not fair to have teachers put themselves in danger.

13 Likes

I am! I have several different age group in my house old and cannot risk it. I will be doing the virtual learning plus homeschooling because if the school canā€™t keep lice in control based on privacy what do you think will happen with this virus.

During summer school here in Texas a few students came out positive so if only very few students were attending a high school and came out positive imagine if all the kids are together. SMH this is scary and needs to stop being politized

3 Likes

Iā€™m choosing to do an online academy. Itā€™s the safest option in my opinion. My mom is a teacher and helped me make the decision.

6 Likes

Virtual. I definitely need a refresher. Yes, teachers are more equipped to give the kiddos what they need. Reality is, it will be hella difficult to have CHILDREN abide by the CDC rules. They donā€™t see the severity of it like PARENTS do. I rather be safe than sorry. For both others children as well as my own. MY OPINION OFC.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently torn too! My kiddos are 8&9 and young kids donā€™t fully get the social distancing thing. I know single parents who have no choice but to go to work will send their kiddo to school sick. Iā€™ve been there before when I was a single mom it was I had to be at work or risk losing my job. I have no family. I thankfully have a work from home job so itā€™s really tearing me into 2! I know my kids benefit more at school with structure but I also donā€™t want to take the chance of them getting covid

4 Likes

My kids will be going to school. I canā€™t homeschool my health canā€™t handle it. And itā€™s been proven numerous times that education slacks when itā€™s not done in person.

18 Likes

My child will and wants to go to school. Itā€™s her senior year. Online last spring was ridiculous with the assignments given. Homework for 11th graders that second graders could do!

3 Likes

Mine are both going back if possible. My 13 year old does better in a in school learning environment. We will see what the fall brings.

4 Likes

I canā€™t homeschool. Iā€™m a single mom who also happens to be an essential worker. So mine will start online if they can, and go in person if and when that becomes an option. No choice.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a single parent and an essential healthcare worker. My sonā€™s daycare is open for essential workers but thereā€™s no way I can continue to afford it. So Iā€™m hoping schools open again. We did distance learning in April and May but I had to take off from work to do it. I can no longer afford to take off of work and we donā€™t get home until 6:30pm most nights so homeschool is not an option for me. But Iā€™m also concerned about sending him back to school because weā€™re both ā€œhigh riskā€.

1 Like

Iā€™ve decided to homeschool my 13 year old this yearā€¦ with everything going on in the world it feels like the better option. Weā€™re going to use it as an opportunity to learn some real life extras that she wouldnā€™t get in school

9 Likes

My grandson is 5 my daughter did a small experiment with him had a few trusted people come over with their children and made him wear a mask while they were there. Once they started playing mask was nowhere to be found and they were all in each others faces. So it will be distant learning for him

2 Likes

My children are my life, not the governmentā€™s guinea pigs. I also have too many immunocompromised people in my life. I also am letting my child decide what she wants to do. We also have a dual income house, full time and overtime mandatory jobs. We do not have the luxury of a nanny or sitter and have more than 1 child. Virtual learning it is, to protect our babies.

3 Likes

Do any of you all have jobs?How do you think the distance-learning is going to work? From what I heard itā€™s going to be Monday through Friday regular school hours when most parents are at work

5 Likes

My daughter was supposed to start preschool. Still little so she doesnā€™t HAVE to go to school yet but I feel like I would want to Homeschool if I was able to. Iā€™ve only been out of high school for two years so I remember very well how quickly Illness spreads in the school setting. I canā€™t imagine risking that w Covid if I have the choice. Unless schools hire more staff I donā€™t foresee them being able to meet all the requirements that it would take to reopen schools and it to be safe . Especially in low income areas and when it comes to sanitation

1 Like

I WILL. Both of my oldest daughterā€™s have asthma badly & my youngest who just turned 6 had the flu in February when all this hit. They wont be using my children as guinea pigs. smh

2 Likes

Our 3 oldest kids are back in school, and has been since April. My two youngest started in kindergarten on April 20th.
They are not in any risk, and all is well ā€¦
I live in Denmark, and other than a few restrictions our country is open again ā€¦ we have entered phase 3.
There have been a few outbreaks on some schools and in one kindergarten, but none were fatal or severeā€¦
Our hospitals can keep up, and that was basically the reason for the lockdown ā€¦

3 Likes

This will be the third year Iā€™ve homeschooled my girls. Best decision Iā€™ve ever made.

4 Likes

My daughter will be home schooled. I probably wonā€™t send her back to school at all.

3 Likes

We are doing remote learning!!! My youngest is high risk not a risk worth taking

3 Likes

My teens are going back to the classroom in August. They have all honors classes and thrive in their he classroom. My 16 year old is dual enrolled in a local university and he will also be back in the classroom there.

2 Likes

My kids are going back to school. Unfortunately I donā€™t have a job to where I can stay home with my kids.

2 Likes

Your post includes 2 different things. Homeschooling is where you as the parent pick and develop the curriculum and teach it. Distance/virtual learning the child is still in public schools, the teacher sends out the assignments/grades them.

We will be doing distance learning.

2 Likes

E-learning because my daughter cant medically wear the mask so no choice

3 Likes

We are doing the distance learning even as opposed to homeschooling as I always have been. I am a nurse and am constantly being exposed at work, I donā€™t want my daughter taking it to her school. I also donā€™t trust the school to protect her from it because the community is ignoring all safety guidelines. If the hours donā€™t work out for us, I will have to take her out of the school system and homeschool her through another program.

2 Likes

How do people expect parents that work to do this?

If ur able to go to work, store, food outings you can send it kids to school!

2 Likes

I only have one still left in the school and he is a junior but he plays football and will definitely be attending school. He has had a horrible time adjusting to virtual learningā€¦ he dropped from all straight aā€™s to failing more than half of his classes. Thank God they didnā€™t count the last nine weeks towards their grade. He needs to be in touch with every teacher every week I donā€™t care if they set it up to where they only go certain days each week and rotate but he needs to be in touch with every teacher every week. His education is very important to me. And my kids school district is taking the necessary precautions that I feel comfortable with. Not to mention his social development has suffered. It breaks my heart as a parent :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually grandma but I have a masters in education so I quit and am now homeschooling all my grandchildren. But we were already discussing this before covid.

3 Likes

My high schoolers are being home schooled because they donā€™t want to wear a mask all day but my 3rd Grader will be going to school he will only have to have one on in the hallway

1 Like

We donā€™t have that kind of choice. We have to work and there is no way my 5 year old will learn anything through the virtual set up our district is doing

1 Like

My son will be a senior this year. If our school offers at home study he will stay at home. Does he want to probably not, but there are children that have to go to school, they donā€™t have internet or school Is the only way they get a meal. Those children need to be safe too, the less children in school the better for those that have to be there.

Mine is doing distance learning. Sorry but staying in 1 classroom all day long with no breaks and having a wear a mask on top of that, hes not in prison.

2 Likes

I am, if our district offers the remote learning and if not homeschool for at least just this year because last year my 2nd son had gotten very sick last year, and was sick for almost a month missed so much constantly had a high fever, cough which then turned into pneumonia then my daughter had gotten sick then my oldest got sick it was horrible, and my oldest has had issues with asthma and to us itā€™s just not worth it. Iā€™d take the fights and everything over them
Potentially being hospitalized.

U do what feels right for u there is so many on line learning tools and if u live in boise idaho barea there is a shop near the mall that sells all sorts of learning activities crafts and materials for learning so u do what u think is best

I feel if the parents that can homeschool keep their kids at home then the kids that have to go to school can and it wonā€™t be as crowded and a little safer.

Nope. Mine will be going to school

8 Likes

Only doing it because of the mask. My oldest will be going because with homeschooling she wouldnā€™t be allowed to cheer and its her senior year. My middle schoolers will, cause once again canā€™t do sports with out attending school. However my youngest two school aged kids will not be wearing a stupid mask all day doing social distance.

1 Like

I am in Indiana. It is up to the school district as to what they are going to do and what date they are going to start. The district my kids go to plans to start on August 4th. Parents have an option to do traditional or virtual school. I have chose traditional school because I have to work and my families Financials suffered greatly when we had to do the virtual school at the end last year. I am happy with all the precautions that are being taken in our district. I will just have to see how it goes.

I have been thinking & stressing over what to do however the new cases are rising like crazy here in Michigan & just today on the news they said this fall/winter will be the deadliest so far. When the flu season hits itā€™s goin to be HORRIBLE! They said u can get the flu & COVID(at the same time) & if u have them both at the same time your immune system CANNOT handle if. So my decision after hearing that is to home school. I donā€™t want to, my daughter needs structure & a class room setting but her health is WAYYYYY more important.

This will be the first year for my youngest but weā€™ve done it a couple years prior. I wish we started sooner. After this year weā€™ll see if we want to go back to brick and mortar, but I cannot trust random guesses as to what will happen to children. Kids get sick and touch, cough, sneeze etc and it travels like wildfire. Imagine Covid on top of another illness-no one knows what would happen. Besides, the government expects a small percentage will die and they consider it acceptable. One child, any child, is unacceptable to me.

Our district is continuing e-learning until at least fall. Iā€™ll watch what happens with the other schools before I send mine back.

I was going to but just learned tonight that honors classes will not be taught during digital learning so Iā€™ll have to send at least my oldest to school.

I work full time so mine are going to school.

7 Likes

There is a difference between home schooling and remote learning from the ISD. Iā€™m looking into changing to homeschool myself