How Many Times a Night Should You Check on a 1-Year-Old? Am I Checking Too Much?

Check on that baby! Its not weird if anything it tells baby that u protect her even in her sleep. I think its cute! A lot of things can happen and a quick check cant hurt.

11 Likes

I have a single bed next to my daughters bed I only used it when she was a newborn but now that she’s 2 I just watch her on the monitor and I went in a few times to check on her but eventually I knew I couldn’t keep doing that

I do this too, and know of other moms who do it as well. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Keep doing what puts your mind at ease. Naturally we will always worry as moms.

1 Like

It can be a sign of post pardum anxiety. I got a video monitor so I’d stop going in and checking cause I’d wake my son up too. It’s helped a lot

3 Likes

I honestly only checked on my daughter if she was storing for a long period of time or she woke up. Other than that I didnt bother her

If I wake up to go to the bathroom then I check on both my kids. Ones almost 6 and my son just turned 1. My 5 year old won’t wake up if I touch her so I always kiss her. I’ve never touched my son to check on him because he wakes really easy. So I can stand there long enough to hear breathing or to watch his tummy go up and down. My son can also be a pretty loud breather at times so that helps. Sometimes he snores too lol my oldest also snores.

Parenting Win! You check on that baby as much as you want to! I check on mine all the time, 7 years old. I don’t care what wakes me up… I check on my baby.

7 Likes

If I’m up, I’ll check on all 4 of my kids. Ages newborn to 8. My newborn is usually the reason why I’m up the last few weeks.

You do whatever makes you feel better. Is there a name for it, who knows but checking on her ain’t hurting no one if your up anyways. Mine used to sleep in my room and it made me feel better but I knew I had to curb that habit. Can’t have a 20 year old sleeping in my room…:joy:

5 Likes

The Owlet sock monitor is expensive, but worth every penny as it will alert you with any breathing or heart rate issues.

3 Likes

I think this is pretty normal. When my girl was younger I would wake up all of the time and check on her.

When I’m the Designated Driver, I do this for my drunk people. It’s okay to be worried and check on the people you care about.

5 Likes

If it puts your mind at ease, by all means check on her.

4 Likes

I did this too, especially with my first, I think it is pretty normal!

I still touch my kid in the middle of the night. She’s going to be 6 in February.

1 Like

I do the same thing everytime I wake up and my kids are 5, 2, and 4 months.

1 Like

My kids are 20,10, 5, 4, 3 and I still check on all of them several times a night :rofl:

2 Likes

When my sister and I were young, our dad would check on us every night, even as we grew older. He’d throw the blankets back on us and walk out. Every single night I would feel the covers put back on. Fast forward… I’m married, have kids and grandchildren. I also checked on my kids at night and put the covers back on them. My dad passed away almost 8 years ago, sometime after that, I fell asleep on the couch, my husband covered me with a blanket, I awoke crying, thinking of my dad. The feeling was overwhelming, you never know how much comfort and security you are providing to your children, it’s enough to last a lifetime. Do it as often, as you like :heart:

5 Likes

Just don’t push her bed against the wall. It can be a strangulation hazzard. I would not say that it is too much to check on them that often. When I first brought our daughter home, we barely slept, because even though she was in the bassinet next to us, we heard every breath.

My youngest was a horrible sleeper till about 10 months old. Now she sleeps through the night, but is still a light sleeper. I am not going in her room.

We got baby monitors for the kids rooms. Plus they are WiFi enabled. We do have a monitor, but there is an app you download to watch them from your phone. We gave the username and password to the grandparents so there are constantly people checking in on them.

My son sleeps with us and I still wake up and put my hand on him to make sure he is breathing. It makes me feel better, we are trying to put him in his crib but it scares me because I can’t hear him breathing from way over there😩

2 Likes

This may change once #2 is born. I always checked on my toddler before I went to bed. I continued checking on both kids until postpartum exhaustion kicked in & then I only checked on my newborn. Eventually I was comfortable not checking on either one, once I was confident my youngest was past the age she’d be affected by SIDS.

I still check on my 2 year old every time I wake up at night with my 6 month old. Do what makes you comfortable. You don’t have to touch her to make sure she is breathing, but by all means put your mind at ease and check on your babies as much as you need to. :heart:

If you’re up anyway and it eases your mind then check on them!
I snuck into my 16 year olds room recently because I wanted to check on him :joy:

Just keep doing what feels right, i still check in my five year old and cover him back up with his comforter, he always kicks it off :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I still check on my 6 and 8 year old periodically when they’re sleeping…its normal. Sometimes I just get that feeling I need to check on them. Its a few times a week at minimum lol

I do that to my 12 week old. Sometimes I just lay there in bed with his bassinet next to my bed so I can see him breathing or if he makes a sound I grab my phone for the light to look at him. I’m a ftm everything scares me.

If it comforts you check on them. My kids are 7, 6 an 16 an I still check on them when I get up to use the bathroom or if I hear something.

Do what your comfortable with hun my youngest is 4 in. 3 mths and I still of I get up check on her if it’s a cold night and I’m stirring I get up to cover her up x

Why don’t you buy monitor with the breathing pad under the mattress you also will need it for the new baby anyway.
I believe its the parental anxiety as i am having some because i am 8months pregnant.

I still do this with both my boys I feel crazy every time but it gives me peace before I go back to bed so keep doing what you do I think it’s just a mommy thing we got lol

My daughter is almost 3 and I still go check on her in the middle of the night and put my hand on her to make sure she’s breathing lol

Literally maybe once a night unless they were sick.

Most likely just anxiety over the what ifs

My son is 9 years old and I still check every night to see if he is breathing…you are a good momma don’t worry

I still check on my 2 boys & their 14 & 17. The breathing isnt a scare anymore but to make sure they’re covered to kiss them once again. The worrying never stops

I check on my kids everytime I wake up. They are 6 & 11 :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I did this as well. I even had video camera and I still checked. My kids are 12, 9, and 4 and I check in there rooms if I get up at night.

U have another in the oven and it is normal to go and check on the chick that’s already hatched. Because ur body is going though alot of hormonal changes u want to be sure every thing is ok. Mommy hen ur doing good just keep it up things will be fine

Honey you are fine. All mama’s do this at some point. Mine are 9,4 and almost 2, and I check on them all the time while they sleep. I have monitors, too, so I can them, and still do it. It’s fine. You’ll be fine.

I used do this heaps when my kids was little still do x

It’s totally normal I did this with all 5 of my kids even when they are adults lol

I still check on my 12, 11 and 6 year old more than once a night! :heart:

My son is 4 years old and i still keep checking on him and i always will :blush: untill he gets married :sweat_smile: its normal, dont worry​:white_heart::yellow_heart:

My kids now 11 and 9, I must check them at least 6 times a night, and the doors and windows, every night

U can never check on ur babies to many times and think of these the time u don’t something could happen not saying it will but u are just being a parent and thats what we do. Like me I check all 6 of my kids At least 3 times at night.

My child is 8. I still check on her.

1 Like

None…if they need me I will hear them…I have 6 kids…youngest is 5 bow

I still check on my baby at night, she’ll be 3 in February.

I did this till my kids were 4 or 5. If I got up I checked.

Shows that u are a good parent by checking on ur baby or babies.

I check on all 3 of mine at least once a night… 10yo, 6yo & 2yo.

Just get a high quality video monitor. There is one that actually monitors their sleep quality through movement and temperature

Hell my mom still checks on all of us when shes in town if she gets up to potty and I’m almost 40. Lol

Can you get a baby monitor with a movement pad to reassure?

Never :woman_shrugging:t4: my boys are 2&3, I do have cameras in their rooms so if I hear something I’ll check those but once their in their beds i don’t go into their rooms!

2 Likes

I have an owlet smart sock. It has eased my mind so many times.

I still do this and my kids are teenagers… your a good mama don’t second guess yourself

I still check on my almost 8 yr old. I don’t think I’ll ever stop checking up on all 4 of my kids. :slight_smile:

Breathe Mama. That’s really common. I did it. It’s a peace of mind. Plus your body is ‘nesting’.

I honestly believe it is natural :slight_smile:

Wow. Once I go to bed I don’t check on my kids. I get up to pee but just go back to my bed. They sleep before me so I’ll peek in on my way to bed.

My kids are 12, 12 and 15… I still check on them every time I get up during the night :woman_shrugging:

I’d check on her. Never too careful

Nothing wrong with checking on her. You’re up anyway :blush:

If it makes you feel better do it.

I’m 20 my mom & dad still check on me :grin:

I check on mine like this all the time :heart:

My 15 month old still sleep with me :woman_shrugging:t2:

I do that with my daughters… One who graduated from college and her twin sisters who will graduate in May 2021…
I check up and see where they are… When will they come home… We got used to worrying :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I check on my 8 year old before I go to bed. I guess I always will

1 Like

My daughter is 2 and I still have a video monitor in her room 🤷 You do what makes you feel comfortable, momma :heart:

I recommended getting a baby monitor! Wansview Cloud has a really affordable one, about $30 and works great! You can see your baby through your phone to keep an eye on her :slightly_smiling_face:

We have a Wyze cam in each of the kids rooms which have night vision. Super cheap and great quality! This allows us to check on them without having to physically be in the room.

Get a video monitor! I have one that connects to an app on my phone and it makes it so easy. EZVIZ

Mine are 9 and 4 if I get up I still go in their rooms and recover them move a leg or arm back into the bed it’s habit and they never budge

My son was born at 31 weeks & his lungs werent fully developed. At hospital & even when he came home every once in awhile it was like he would forget & stop breathing. So with him i checked on him alot, then we got a monitor to stick on him & after that i stopped cuz it would just go off when it would happen & i could get up & wake him up. When both my kids switched to their own rooms we just had monitors so we could see them. I never would go in their room unless they woke up or saw an issue just cuz i didnt want to wake them.

I came to know about prophet Marere through a colleague. Who have seen my struggle that I have been facing for too long. I m 35 years old and I have 2 kids with different fathers. Every relationship I get in will look perfect and as soon as my partner will propose marriage. That where everything will become a disaster. Starting with my health, my finances and mostly my partner his businesses will just go dry. Then slowly he will loose interest in me . That when the cheating will start and becomes abusive . I am a born again christian for more then 10 years now. I have my church where I service. My friends have been inviting me to so many different churches promising me to get help but no luck. For over 7 years now. Some times I will even travel out of the country and pay a huge some of money to get help and be delivered still never received any help what so ever. But things will just become worse. I had to let go of the business I had on the side because I was swimming in debts I was owning lots of people and banks lots of money. My house and my car got repossessed. I had no choice but to go back home to my mother house with my kids because all of their fathers was not taking care of them. I went through terrible depression to a point I even tried to take away my own life. The only thing I had was that part time job which hardly paid. It was just hand to mouth. I had all the qualifications and experiences but I could not get anything. Basically my life was at a dead end. Seeing all my friends I studied with being successful, rich and happily married was the most painful thing ever. I just saw myself as a huge frailer, lonely and had no reason to live. I kept asking God why is he punishing me so much. Until one of my ex colleague called to check up on me and I told her my life is a mess. That when she introduced me to prophet Marere +2348109805184 After that my life was never the same again. I meet with the man of God prophet Marere in April. We did prayers and he delivered me from all evil curses. he gave me holy water to use and he even told me in 7 days I will be restored all back that I have lost all these years. Exactly in 7 days I started receiving calls. I got a tender for 5 years worth over 2.5 million. As I write this I am traditionally married to the father of my last born child. We are doing the white wedding in December and we are happily living together as a family in our own house. All our businesses are doing wonderful. I even took my husband to meet the man of God prophet Marere. I can go on for ever but in short all that the devil had stolen away from me and my family have been restored and doubled. I do not know where would I be if it was not for the prayers and the holy water from the man of God. Glory be to God, its never too late to change your mess into a message call prophet Marere +2348109805184 or email: [email protected]

I have 4 kids oldest being 14 I still check my kids every night…I’ll never stop :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Mama of 4, here. My oldest is 9 years old, my youngest is 14 months. I still check on them all at least 3 - 4 times each and every single night. My youngest sleeps in my room, and I still have anxiety about shutting the bedroom door at night, as I can hear her more clearly with the door open. It makes me feel better to constantly keep an eagle eye on them. If it helps to ease your anxiety, and calms your fears - you go in there as many times as you feel you need to. It’s completely natural to be so fiercely protective and concerned. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Mama of three living children here. Oldest is 11 (2009) middle is 7 (2013), youngest is 10 months. I checked on all of them constantly. Even more with my youngest. She sleeps in her bed next to mine and I still put my hand on her chest to make sure she’s breathing. I buried two of my children. My Elizabeth was born in 2010. She was three days old and in the NICU due to premature birth at 25 weeks. My son, Kian was born in 2016. He wasn’t even 24 hours old. Born at 27 weeks. He died in my arms. Both had complications with their lungs being under developed and and their hearts beating too quickly and the lungs not keeping up.
So no, I don’t personally think it’s a bad thing to constantly check on your baby. You will get no judgement from me either way.

2 Likes

I have a video monitor on my 2 youngest. A 3 year old and 6 month old. I never go in their room unless they wake up. I glance at camera if I wake up, but thats it. My 3 year old has slept 12 hours since she was 6 months. My 6 month old sometimes does ans sometimes wakes 2 times. Just depends!

1 Like

Absolutely normal, my eldest is 14 years old, I still check on her and the other kiddos when I get up for a drink or bathroom. My father did it with my brother & I till we moved into our own homes. It is normal parental instinct to always check on your babies, no matter the age. Brings peace of mind & we are their Protectors :heart::blush:

It’s a mom thing. My 24 year old daughter lives with me and I check on her still. The instinct never goes away.

3 Likes

Its called peace of mind. Do what you got to do to. The one year will go back to sleep if you wake her up

4 Likes

If I’m awake I check on her, like you if I dont I just lay in bed feeling crappy until I do

I still check in on my 12 year old from time to time. I think it’s anxiety

Check she is breathing by all means, but listen, watch her chest rise and fall. Then you don’t have to touch or wake her. After one daughter had meningitis at one month old . I checked all my kids each night. If I woke , I also checked. Again. I found as they became older I only checked once or twice.so it becomes less of a worry.

Check her as much as you feel you want, every mother is different, I go check a few times when I get up to pee, I’m 8 months Pregnant too. There’s no right and wrong just do what works for you x

My daughter is 12 and I still check on her… but she has medical issues… it has gotten easier as she’s gotten older but it took a while when she was younger to not check on her every 5 minutes.

Risk of SIDS is so low after 1yr old. Do you have a monitor? If it’s your anxiety you could purchase owlet?

I always check on my babies…its definitely normal sorry. It’s a protective thing and idc I always know they are safe and my daughter (9) finds it comforting

1 Like

Check on your baby as much as you want to momma, I do the same with my two month old , I check on him when I hear him stir on his monitor and even when I don’t, you can never be to careful :heart:

Get a nanny cam in the babys room. I check on my 2 year old through the camera throughout the night without waking her. U can usually see if they are breathing pretty easily too

Listen my boys are 13 an 11 anbi still check on them before I go to bed. If I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee I will check on my kids. They snore like they are cutting fire wood🤣so I dont have to go over an touch them anymore so that is a plus🙈

1 Like

I have a video monitor on my nightstand and I still check on my 1yr old a couple times a night. Helps my anxiety to actually feel/see her breathing.

No you not Mom with what happen today I did the same thing check on your
Kid’s

I only check on my 1 year old when she wakes me up. Otherwise I’m to busy sleeping :sweat_smile: I’m also 35 weeks pregnant myself but if she’s napping, which is rare, then I’ll check on her once or twice

I dont check on my 1 yr old . She always sleeps from 730pm to 8… 9 am . She goes onto her bottom bunk and lays right down and goes to bed without a fuss … I don’t want to wake her , then she wont go back to sleep!

I’m 26 and when I stay at my moms she still checks on me lol. It’s a mom thing.

5 Likes

Just being a mommy :two_hearts: