How much breastmilk should a 9 month old be eating?

How much breast milk should a nine month old be drinking? My friend told me that her sister only allows her baby 2 silicone cubes of homemade food and 8 oz of breast milk a day. The day is from 9 to 5. Just curious because that seems like a really restricted diet for a baby. Just looking for input. Please post anonymously.

119 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How much breastmilk should a 9 month old be eating? - Mamas Uncut

Personally I don’t feel that’s enough milk. They are growing and developing I don’t think you should restrict unless baby is severely overweight and it has been recommended by your pediatrician.

6 Likes

That doesn’t seem like enough to me.

5 Likes

Wow that does not seem right. As long as you are nursing a 9 month old in my opinion it is on demand. That is to young to regulate a baby’s diet. Mind you I am 72 now and maybe not with the times today but common sense tells you your friend is wrong. I nursed my babies for 6 months without additional food and when they started on food they nursed on demand till they weaned all three well over a year. You as a mom have a mothers instinct and go with what you think is necessary for you and your baby.

5 Likes

Babies are meant to nurse on demand, as they need. That’s ridiculous someone’s restricting a 9 month olds diet.

16 Likes

Wth… that’s like one bottle for a 9 month old my six month old drinks like 32 oz a day ish with formula and boob juice

4 Likes

Actually, for breast milk, the quality doesn’t increase because the milk changes in composition. On average, a baby need 1-1.5 ounces per hour. So 8 ounces, plus a little bit of baby food would be fine for an 8 hour period.

9 Likes

Take it from me. As much as she f’ing wants.

10 Likes

I know none of my 4 babies would be content with that amount 4 sure I always fed mine on demand does the baby seem okay like content??

3 Likes

8 oz the whole day??
If so that’s 100% not enough!!

3 Likes

I never even thought to stop my kids from feeding. They are growing and they know how much to drink. They will stop when they are full. I know that sounds crazy but, milk is all they get to they are 1. If they need more before their first year it should be discussed with the Dr. I did this with my son who was 10 lbs at birth. It seemed like he fed more and more each month till I could not have a break btw feedings. The Dr put him on rice cereal as well. Sometimes we need to allow them to feed normal without restrictions so they can be healthy babies.

4 Likes

They know when they have had enough let bubs lead you

This is really hard, and I’m going to say a mom knows best. My 5 month old nurses on demand and I’m well aware that 50% of that is just comfort, he’s not actually eating. In saying that, he has never chugged back a 4oz bottle of breastmilk in one sitting. Milk changes for what baby needs. Formula babies eat a regulated amount of calories in each bottle, a breastfed baby will take a different amount of calories each feed because the milk changes. Is baby having a normal amount of diapers? Is baby following a regular growth pattern? More info is needed before judgements are made

7 Likes

My son is almost 9months and drinks 30oz of formula and eats at least 4oz or more of baby food a day, plus smaller snacks in between. He is still on the smaller side for his age, but has steady growth. Your friends baby is 1000% not getting enough food imo. She needs to talk to a pediatrician asap before something happens to that baby. That done not sound like a healthy diet at all.

3 Likes

Wtf. At 9 months my daughter was eating 20-30oz along with 2-3 solid meals a day.
Baby shouldn’t be on a restricted diet. I’m glad this is posted anonymously, I would have tracked your friend’s sister down and called CPS on her. She is starving that baby. What is she feeding with breastmilk? Freezer? Ugh.

3 Likes

That baby isn’t getting enough. Call cps

6 Likes

That’s not enough milk or food is she all
There omg :laughing:

I would be calling CPS…

5 Likes

Let your baby tell you how much breastmilk he/she wants! Do not restrict your little one, growth/development depends on it! :heart:

2 Likes

My daughter drinks 2-3 4oz bottles at daycare while I’m and work 730-530. The rest of the time is on demand and she doesn’t care for baby food. more of a snacker and eats off my plate. ( she should eat more solids but she just isn’t a fan)

A baby should never be on a limit. Ever. If they want food/milk then give it to them. How awful :disappointed:

12 Likes

Always send extra, no need to cry over milk. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

A baby needs more than 8 ounces of bread milk a day. At 9 months my kids took 8 ounces 3 to 4 times a day plus baby food 3 times a day. Their body needs the nutrients and the brain needs it to develop right. Please educate your friend. That baby is not going to develop right

6 Likes

Breastfed babes only need 1-1.25 ounces per hour, so 8 ounces for 9 hours isn’t terrible-plus baby food.

Especially if moms nursing right before and right at 5 and making sure they are consuming a minimum of 24 ounces in a 24 hour time period.

7 Likes

She needs to be feeding her baby whenever her baby is hungry. Fed on demand

4 Likes

Wow that baby probably starving call CPS …. Praying for the baby​:broken_heart: :pray:t4:

4 Likes

As much as it wants. No baby should ever be restricted. Feed them atleast every 4 hrs either milk or food or both until they are full.

3 Likes

Kayla Eggeman exactly

My baby is 7 months old and has 4 - 5 210ml bottles and 3 - 4 meals of at least 110mls of food or pouches.
That doesn’t sound like enough. They need lots of food and milk to grow and develop.

2 Likes

I’d imagine the baby’s pediatrician would notice and educate them if the baby appeared malnourished

2 Likes

Woah that’s NOT OK!! It’s borderline neg. She needs educating! Get her some facts

4 Likes

I fed on demand and even with my bottle fed baby I didn’t count I fed him when he was hungry

8 Likes

That’s a ridiculous amount of food to give I always fed my son whenever and as much as he wanted at the babies and kids go through so many growth spurs one minute eating everything the next hardly eating

1 Like

The baby should be on regular drinks by now and regular food

Who the hell has their baby on a strict feeding… wtf

7 Likes

Is baby growing and healthy? I don’t feel like it is enough. But every kid is different. My son hardly ate and still is the same way. I hate it because I worry but doctors are happy with where he is.

A restricted diet at as a toddler poor child

A BREASTFED baby has a different schedule. On average about an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour. When pacefed properly during an 8 hour work day would be almost on point. Formula fed babies eat more.

6 Likes

In a 24hr period a baby should get 24oz of breast milk plus a little more. 1-1.5oz for every hour.

2 Likes

Typically if pace feeding 1- 1.5 oz per hour.

3 Likes

Breast milk is very healthy for babies. They should drink as much as they like. That diet is TOO restrictive. I wonder if the baby’s pediatrician knows about this diet.

5 Likes

I don’t think that is enough food for a 7 month old but there are keyboard warriors that would disagree.

1 Like

Not enough food. You baby let’s you know how much they need.

1 Like

Breast milk or formula should still be baby’s number one source of nutrition at 9 months. That doesn’t seem hardly enough. Even with food too. Baby needs more breast milk than that for proper growth and development.

1 Like

Since it’s only 9-5, they’re getting 1oz/hr, plus food. That doesn’t sound terrible. Maybe that’s all she can pump and doesn’t want to do formula or can’t afford it :woman_shrugging:t3: maybe her milk is pretty fatty and keeps baby satisfied.

1 Like

Baby needs more breastmilk. Definitely needs more calories. Even though it is only that specific time frame, I would still say the baby isn’t getting enough.

1 Like

Breastfeed on demand and offer solids but don’t expect baby to actually eat anything at 9mo.

How much food is a silicone cube?? You never have that info. The child has 2 of them? So all together, how much food?

Breastmilk
As much as my baby wants…

6 Likes

The rule of thumb is 1-1.5oz per day.

My daughter was in daycare for 9hrs a day and would have 3 - 4oz bottles per day, plus food at that age. By 10.5/11mos she dropped down to 2 - 4oz bottles during her her time at daycare - plus her meals. She was still nursing in the morning before school, sometimes when we got home, and before bed.

1 Like

Idk? I nursed mine til she decided she was full, on demand.

My daughter from 1 month all the way only had about 12-16oz a day (4oz bottle each time and shed never drink more). But she was also fed baby oatmeal (Dr’s orders) so it probably filled her up. By 10mo she stopped taking formula all together but was eating 3 meals a day and snack in between so her Dr said her body was just getting enough nutrients and rejected the formula and she is now a happy and healthy 6yo. So perhaps they have a schedule with more solids and less formula? If baby is healthy and there is 0 concern from Dr’s then idk. Each child is different too so is it mom or is it baby?

Well breast milk is different then formula. The general rule is about 1.5oz an hour with breast milk. So baby would technically need about 12 Oz for an 8 hour time away from mom but with the solids added in it could be a bit less. I would say this is a little restrictive but not by much depending on a couple of things. How’s baby’s weight or weight gain? Does baby seem happy or very tired and floppy? What’s feeding look like when mom is with baby not during the 8 hour separation? I work with moms who have babies who refuse to drink a bottle or their milk from a cup and baby will literally eat a small amount of solids during that time and absolutely no milk but once they are with mom they will nurse non stop til the next morning. This is pretty common and it’s perfectly fine to allow this if baby is gaining weight and not dropping. We live in a society that understands formula norms and not breastfeeding ones. I say you need more information about the situation before jumping to a conclusion. I’m an IBCLC if you need to DM with more specific questions.

4 Likes

As much as he or she wants.

5 Likes

That is child abuse. At that age they eat as much as they need.

6 Likes

Mine was on about three or four breastfeeds a day by then but also porridge, a bowl of pasta and probably a boiled egg and bread fingers too by then. The food element seems about three months behind. Mine was always 50th percentile for height and weight so I wasn’t overfeeding. I bought a baby and toddler cookbook which gave portion sizes and suggested menus.

Amanda Alyssa Hawkins GIRL people out here “allowing” their 9 mo food… excuse me! CPS!

5 Likes

How do you post anonymously?

The baby needs much more that that

2 Likes

Feed in demand. I’ve never restricted my baby’s intake

5 Likes

My daughter had as much breast milk as she wanted until she was 1. Then we started weaning her onto cows milk with breast only once a day. She has about 2 bottles of cows milk now one when she wakes up, and 3 small meals, and as many healthy snacks as she likes (she can have bigger meals if she wants it but never eats it all)… I think all children are different, as long as her child is growing and isn’t under nourished or underweight, nor overweight and obese I wouldn’t worry. Children know when they need food and will tell you, I just fed when she wanted to be fed :woman_shrugging:t2:

Probably referring to the big silicone cubes that 6 are in a tray for homemade food

I’m old school. By 9 months my kids were eating solid food and drinking cows milk
But before that I fed on demand.
All children are different. As long as baby is happy and healthy theres no problem…but it depends how much solid food is in the containers and what else baby is drinking. They need the calories to feed their growing bodies/brains.

5 Likes

When my kids could sit and pick things up. They are what we are around 7/8 months. Cut up it small pieces. They all loved it and eat pretty much everything we do now. 2/6/8 year olds look it up. Baby led weaning.

1 Like

I’m not sure of amounts bc I didn’t pump for any of mine but they nursed on demand…and they were all
Boob goblins :joy: they also ate a lot of solids too. That’s extremely restrictive and I wonder what her pediatrician thinks about it.

1 Like

My grandson Lucas is 9 months old. He gets a bottle in the morning one in the afternoon and one in the evening. He is advanced for his age. He has almost 40. And he’s walking. He gets the baby crackers throughout the day. He is also on real adult food. And he has a sippy cup that he drinks out of during the day.

That is abuse . Poor baby… some people shouldn’t have kids :confused:

3 Likes

You can’t go by what everyone else’s kid eats or ate, your child is different, talk to your Pediatrician and ask them and they will tell you. Don’t go by what people tell you their child did, it’s possible it’s not right for your child. My son at 9 months we drinking milk and eating jar food etc so consult your Pediatrician

1 Like

Never ever limit what a baby eats. Always feed on demand. Their body will tell them how much they need

3 Likes

If your not sure or your questioning eating, a good resource is talk to your family physician. They would be able give you the correct information you need.
My own opinion is that if the baby is hungry, feed it. Don’t let it suffer. Nutrition Is highly important during their growing stages for healthy development. You’d much rather have a chubby healthy baby who gets sick instead of a tiny skin and bones baby. Healthy chubby babies fight off illnesses a lot easier then they tiny skinny babies🤷🏻‍♀️

1 Like

That’s borderline neglect…babies should eat often

7 Likes

Breast milk is ON DEMAND… whenever the baby wants it

1 Like

Worry about what your child NEEDS and not what others are doing. I have 5 children and we went with their flow, as even as siblings they were all different

2 Likes

When my little one was 9 months old she ate 2-3 4oz things of food and 20-24 ounces of milk with a little snack of pick up food mixed in . That was from 7am go 9 pm. Every baby is different but that isn’t much at all for a growing baby.

1 Like

Babies only need 1-1.5 oz of breastmilk for each hour that you are away from them. So 9-5 is 8 hours which means 8 oz of breastmilk is probably adequate. I would send an extra bag in case baby was still hungry personally. But this isn’t abuse for the people commenting that. Maybe mom doesn’t want baby being over fed from a bottle because although when nursing babies can’t over feed, they can from a bottle. Maybe she’s dealt with tummy aches and issues from it. Bottom line though momma knows her child best so just respect her wishes unless it’s something obviously dangerous. Which this isn’t.

4 Likes

Omg why would you restrict a baby’s diet/food intake?? Only 9 months old, should be getting breastmilk 30-60 minutes before each meal and then enjoying exploring appropriately prepared foods to try out. On demand breastfeeding too

1 Like

When I had little ones (they are 6 and 8 now) I was always told to let them eat as much as they will to get full. If the baby is hungry, feed them. I had them on purées and baby food when they were 6 months, as per their pediatrician. This particular diet does sound restricted but I won’t cast judgement because we don’t know if her pediatrician told her to do that. Every child is different.

1 Like

A breast fed baby should be nursed every 2 to 3 hrs. And with baby 2 jars 1 fruit 1 veggie 2 to 3 times a day. Bottled should be 6 to 8 Oz. Normally but yes call a Dr and ask to be sure

1-1.5oz per hour is the rule of thumb for breastmilk

1 Like

Why are people so quick to yell neglect?? Come on, she could be a new mom and doing all the things she thinks are right when she just needs a little guidance. How can people so easily say “some people just shouldn’t have kids”??? She’s trying to feed her child, support the mama and inform her, not shame her! I fed mine on demand. Still do for the most part at 18 months. She does however eat lots of solids and has since 6 months. She can’t handle cows milk and doesn’t like the taste of lactaid so she drinks mainly water and boobs whenever she wants and the situation allows.

That’s insane! no one should be restricting a baby! That poor baby!!!

In an 8 hour period my kids definitely had more than that at 9 months. They’re 6 and 4 now so I don’t remember how much exactly, I think 6 was at about 4 ounces of formula every 2-4 hours with some solid foods in between. 4 was probably 6 ounces every 2-4 hours with some solid foods in between. Definitely more than 8 ounces and I’m not sure the size of the cubes but I’m guessing more than that as well.

Also fed mine on demand when they r hungry they want feeding

3 Likes

Every child is different and the content of the breast milk plays a big part. Some people produce a lot of milk with little nutrients and some the other way around. However, that doesn’t seem like enough for a 9 month old. All of my kids had way more than that at 9 momths.

1 Like

So they feed the child lunch and 2 4oz bottles while there and they are home for breakfast and dinner? Sounds fine if so

1 Like

1-1.25 oz per hour baby is away until a year old. Breast milk should be the primary source of food until a year old as well. Any solids should be given 30 minutes after feeding & only a few bites a day.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t put the baby in a diet to young. My sons pediatrician wanted my son on a diet when he was a baby I said no he’s now 3 and he’s grew into his weight. I would just make a healthier choice instead of anything with sugar

1 Like

My 9 month old eats every 2 hours and its a 4oz bottle. She does get solids once a day. Here soon I’ll move up to 2 times a day for solids.

1 to 1.5 oz of breastmilk a hour. Plus with the food is enough. Worry about your own kids.

4 Likes

Does she fed her breakfast in the morning before she goes to work and dinner after? If so, we are only talking about lunch and 2 snacks that that food needs to cover. Does the babysitter or daycare say she acts hungry in between?

1 Like

When mine were breast feeding,I let them nurse all they wanted.My son nursed untill 2yrs old.I fed 3 meals and nursed everyday.At almost 2yrs old I was nursing 6-7 hours a day.Yes, hours! That’s when I called my grandmother and asked for weaning signs.I broke him from nursing when the signs were right for weaning in one week…

1 Like

Each breastfed baby is different and if the baby is acting hungry still, say something.:woman_shrugging:t3: A hungry baby is going to let you know!

my breastfed babies all went down to like 16 oz total in 24 hours at 9-10 months bc they were eating more solids

I thought the days of restricted feeding were over.

3 Likes

What? When my sons were 4 loathsome old I began giving them baby food. I was unable to breastfeed but I fed them regularly with a bottle too.

My 8 month old eats 4 oz every 4 hours. With breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack in between.

I’d report her. Poor baby

1 Like

Wtffff definitely not

Really nothing you can do but yeah you should never restrict a babies diet that’s not ok