How much do you pay your mom to watch your kids?

I pay my sister $150/week.

When my kids were born, I didnā€™t have family living near me. My husband & I worked full time jobs, but my best friend was a stay home mom. I asked her to watch my kids. I checked the going rates at local daycares, and I paid her the same as I would have paid a daycare. She told me she would watch them for the first year or so, but then she would want them to go to daycare. So thatā€™s what we did.

Itā€™s a respect issue.

My best friend was the closest thing I had to family, and she still is family to this day (my kids are in their 30s now).

A good daycare is a positive thing for children. It teaches them social skills that they canā€™t learn at home, and it prepares them for entering school. If a parent is able to stay home with their kids, thatā€™s the ultimate situation, but kids still need to have play dates ā€¦ or interaction with other children.

Having a family member be your ā€œdaycareā€ can change the dynamics of the relationships. A grandmother wants to be a grandmother.

5 Likes

Nothing. My grandparents never got paid for watching us as kids while my dad was sick.

I pay our summer nanny $40 a day and my son is 7. He goes from about 9-4

$60/day for my 15 month old

1 Like

I paid MIL $100 a week for less than 40 hours,and she had days where she wasnt available,so I had to constantly find other arrangements. I also had to provide everything, food, spare clothes, wipes diapers etc. Even the silverware.

I donā€™t pay but I bring a tons of food for the kids and for the grandparents and wine for nanny. But I donā€™t think it horrible to help grandparents financially for thier time. 100 150 seams reasonable. Far less they you would pay a daycare.

1 Like

If itā€™s a constant thing then I can understand paying, my mother in law only gets my son once a week or once every two weeks. I never pay her bc itā€™s mutually beneficial. She gets to spend quality with her grandson and I get time to myself.

I charged $20 a day per kid

I charged $20 a day for a child

Depends on hours child is with gma, and does she need extra income she could be getting if she was working elsewhere. IE did she quit a job to watch kiddo & help u? Honestly with cost of everything rising you def need to pay her for her time. Especially if she has no other sources of income to live off of.

My mom never asked to be paid, she said
" Iā€™m Nana not a babysitter, I donā€™t need money to watch my grand kids"

10 Likes

My son would pay me $20 a day. I told him i would do it for free but he insisted in paying.

My Mom never charged me for watching her grandkids, but I was there any time or anything she needed, she was my mom :heart:

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe how many of you pay your mom to watch her grandchildren :flushed: When Iā€™m a Grandma someday, i would never in a million years ask for money for that.

4 Likes

Our sitter(their Aunt) gets $120 a week

Iā€™d never charge my kids for the privilege of looking after my grandchildren.

7 Likes

Honestly there is nothing wrong with paying your parent to watch your child bc if you were to put them in daycare I can assure you it wouldnā€™t be worth you working bc most of your paycheck would go to them. Do your research and see how much it costs for daycare in your area and how many hours the cost will cover - and remember most places you have to supply your childā€™s every need - diapers, formulas, meals that is why itā€™s ok to pay mom do some math Iā€™m sure you will come up with a reasonable amount to give her and if the truth be known in the end it will be spent on your child anyways.

My mom never asked for any money but I would bring tons of food and snacks and give her some when I could afford to. She never wanted to take it thoughšŸ˜‰

I pay $165 a week for a 2 year old at an early childhood program. So is mom teaching/feeding/potty training as well or just babysitting. I think that has an impact on how much to pay as well.

I voluntarily paid my mom $120.00 a week plus spoiled her w/extra $$ when I had it. Than she couldnā€™t watch them anymore. Than I paid a day care $150.00 a week but that was 2 years ago and she is my bossā€™s daughter. Some daycare wanted to charge me $300.00 a week. I donā€™t feel right having someone watching my kids for free. They watch them, feed them, play with them & teach them. They deserve some money for their time.

1 Like

Nothing. Family helps family and thatā€™s like asking for money in exchange for your grandkids which isnā€™t right in my opinion. If she needs something specific like formula or diapers she should request it, but asking for money to spend time with your own blood. Thatā€™s messed up.

I always think you get what you pay for. You can leave your kid and know they will be ok when you return probably in front of the tv all day but if you want them to do extra like activities and entertain the child I would pay more and ask them if they could please not have him watch tv all day. Give her minimum $150 a week but more if u can afford to.

Daycare charges $40 a
Day. I would think minimum $25 a day. If she is in your home cleaning your house cooking etc more than that. Might look into a Motherā€™s Day out so she has a day off a week to run her personal errands

I keep my grandson all the time, once for a year straight. I NEVER asked for $$$. But my daughter ALWAYS made sure she got him his clothes & special lol gifts arrived all the time for him. She also treats me very well, ALWAYS doing things for me. Sheā€™s NEVER lets me pay when weā€™re out, she gets mad if I try to pay. She knows if she needs a sitter family always make sure we got her. Sheā€™s a nurse and a single mom. I donā€™t consider watching him a job, I love it!!

5 Likes

Nothing. My Mom says this is her time with the kids and they get a closer relationship together. I kept my Grandchildren up until they went to pre-school. We have a very strong relationship. I would never charge my child for this pleasure.

I watch my grandson and refuse payment only because I donā€™t want paid to spend my time with him Iā€™d rather know he is happy and safe

1 Like

There is absolutely nothing wrong with paying your mom to watch your kids. We should GLADLY e paying themā€¦ itā€™s either their care which we 100% trust or a daycare where you donā€™t how your baby will be treated. It depends where you live, here in Cali a daycare charges around $50 a day if I couldnā€™t do the $50 a day, I would do my best to at least pay $35 a day.

1 Like

100 a week for three days for my 14 month old plus extra when I have it. And I take her to eat all the time. I have clothes and food ready with diapers and wipes, toys and anything I think he will need for the day.

You probably wonā€™t see this but in case you do, I keep my grandson 5 days a week while mom works. Mom & my son (his dad) arenā€™t even together & I still would never charge her to spend time with my grandson. I keep him from bout 7pm to bout noon the next day 5 days a week. Even if she tried to pay me I wouldnā€™t allow her to. Heā€™s 3 & Iā€™ve done this since he was born.

4 Likes

My momma never asked or took money for watching the babiesā€¦ what grandma would do that anyways.

1 Like

My mom doesnā€™t actually charge me, but I do believe itā€™s mutual help so I do pay her. I work random days and schedules. She always has availability for us or at least 90% of the time.
I know itā€™s hard to find someone to do that so I feel she deserves it. She is my kids grandma and she adores them but itā€™s not her obligation to take care of them because I have to go to work. I pay her $40 per day when work. I also bring food. My mom and I have coffee or breakfast together before I go, we chat and laugh and I know she is so happy to have us. She also cares for another child so my son loves being with them. :heart:

1 Like

We ended up paying my mom about 450$ a month, not sure what that works out to daily, but itā€™s what we ended up being able to afford!

My mom prefers I buy her things, but on the other hand she has only been able to watch him once in the last like 3 yearsā€¦. Soā€¦ yeah

1 Like

I pay my mom $20 a day if she watches my kids.

I wish I could keep all my grandkids, I would not charge either, I just want to be around them!!! Makes my heart happy.

I paid family the same rate I would pay daycare

1 Like

I watched both my grandkids ages 4 and 1 and donā€™t charge anything! I wouldnā€™t feel right getting paid to take care of my own family! Thatā€™s just me though. They will help me out with anything if I need it though or pick something up at the store on their way to pick them up.

My family doesnā€™t charge me lol they watch my kids for free if they do but I normally donā€™t need a sitter

I pay my mom $100 a week. She drops my oldest off to school and watches my 8 month old. Itā€™s more or less for gas to get back and forth and this just started when my daughter started going to school. Prior to that nothing. And personally it works for us. She is with someone i trust and not at a daycare

1 Like

I pay my mom $300 a month to watch my 2 kids

I can bring my kids to work with me so Iā€™m not sure what the going rate isā€¦ but me?.. Iā€™m not paying my mother/in law to spend time with her grandchildren. I would send everything the kids would need during the day.

I donā€™t think I would charge my kids for babysitting either. I want my kids to get ahead, not nickel and dime them.

Thats just me though. Very aware everyone is different.

5 Likes

I would definitely pay my mom if I was in this situation. I wouldnā€™t expect to pay ā€œfull ratesā€ though. I would sit down, figure out your bills, and then see what you have to spare. A lot of the times you can get help through your local DHS/DCF

Itā€™s only fair that you would pay her! Most private baby sitters in my area charge an arm and a leg! My current baby sitter charges $20/day which is more than reasonable!

I watch my boyfriends grandson when there isnā€™t school and after school until he gets home. I donā€™t get paid. Once in a while my boyfriend or the kids grandma (ex wife) will pay me. My dad will take my son every Saturday night and sometimes here and there I donā€™t pay him but I provide my sons food for his house, I pay WiFi for his house cause my son uses it, and Iā€™ll pay for gas cause he picks him up and drop him off

My in laws (husbandā€™s parents or his grandma), my grandparents, my parents, my sister, and my really good friend have watched my 3 kids and I have never had to pay them. I also would watch my niece and nephew or my friends kids and not expect to be paid anything because I am just helping them out and I have no problem watching them when I am able to. But if ur mom is requesting that u pay her for watching ur kids then talk to her and come up with an agreement on what would be a good price that u can afford. Im lucky to have family and a friend who just does it out of love as my friend is like a sister to me. My friend and I have always helped each other with kids since the day they were born.

1 Like

They only charge you because you are too difficult to be around for nothing. True grandparents donā€™t charge their kids a fee to share their time with their own grandkids, theyā€™ll either get with the program or remain a stranger throughout their own grandchilds lives. Mine wouldnā€™t accept payment had I tried, yours will charge you double because you suck. Straight up. The mere notion of having to pay grandparents to spend time with their own grandchildren suggests they wouldnā€™t do it for nothing. Whats that say about you and them? It says they have to do it for money or its not worth it. Well, Iā€™d lock them out of the house had the grandparents pulled that joke. Grandparents are free babysitters or complete strangers, thats their option. Kinda irritates me to suggest grandparents want paid to spend time with their grandkids. I donā€™t think soā€¦

Usually $100 a week, plus help them with groceries/supplies whatever they need. I mean in all fairness they are also giving up their freedom to watch the kids. And yes I understand that they love doing it but fair is fair. It really depending on what you guys want to work out, have to sit and talk about it.

4 Likes

My mom and grandma watch my kids free of charge. Even if I offer they wonā€™t take it. My MIL would watch them free of charge too

My mum had my son 3 days a week for me, she didnā€™t take a penny off meā€¦
I would ask her what sort of price she wants you to pay? Childminders charge around Ā£4.50 an hour xx

1 Like

My bestie watches all of her grandkids. The school bus picks them up and drops them off at her house. She has one full time during the day that isnā€™t school age. She doesnā€™t charge them, but asks they they help provide food, drinks and snacks that they like.

Do you supply food and everything for the kid? If so no you donā€™t have to.

I used to pay my mom 300/ week plus 10/hr for ever overtime hour I worked. So usually around 400 a week. That was for 3 kids and then just 2 when my oldest would have school.

2 Likes

I never really do per se. I do provide spending money if they are going somewhere & food for how long sheā€™ll be there.

Wellā€¦if it was once or twice a week I would think not much if you supply everything they need but grandma having the kids for 40+ hours a week eventually feels like a lot. I think 20-25 a day would be good

2 Likes

200$ week seems reasonable you help her she helps you

I would never ask for a payment as i do it for love,evrybody differant.

1 Like

Thankfully we only pay our family.friend $120 every 2 weeks for fulltime care. But that was her choice we started and $125 a week when she was first born. Talk to your mom and ask what is she looking for. Maybe she just wants a little help covering food and a little more. At the end of the day she gets to decide the price bc she is the one doing you a favor.so figure out what she wants and what ypu can afford and go from there

1 Like

My mom/in law doesnā€™t ask for anything. They love having the kids. They just ask I provide them with things they need (obviously we do) and also help replenish groceries in their houses or have meals prepped if they come to mine

1 Like

I have my granddaughter Friday to Sunday most weekends. (Granddaughter choice mostly) but I have had her nearly every Friday night since she was born. I would never charge my daughter for it. My daughter sometimes brings snacks ect, other times I have snacks here so it depends.

I use to pay my mom 50 a week to watch my son

I tried paying my parents and they refused the money. So we have been buying meat for them so they donā€™t refuse. Steaks, hamburger

2 Likes

My mom has always watched my children but she also has always lived with us and there for I have bought her anything and everything she has ever needs plus given her mom money whenever she has asked there was never a set amount and she never asked for a large number due to I paid her bills and bought whatever she needed

2 Likes

As a Nana, I would never charge to watch my grandkids.

5 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $31712 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HEREā€¦ https://onlinehomejobbiz24.neocities.org/

My mama has never asked me to pay her for watching my babiesā€¦ thatā€™s sad. Iā€™m so sorry. But I do help her with groceriesā€¦ I buy her stuff she likes and I also buy stuff for my kids to eat while thereā€¦

2 Likes

I didnā€™t pay my mom , but Iā€™d take food. Thatā€™s all she asked.

1 Like

I think, if itā€™s a part time deal, no payment but provide spending money if needed. If full time, payment can be discussed.

2 Likes

I used to pay my mom $50 a day

1 Like

My Mom has my kid(s) at least 1 day a week. I bought and pay for her phone bill and I drive her anywhere she needs to go. I do lots of her errands, and if she has my kid(s) cuz Iā€™m actually on a job, I always give her cash. Good help is hard to come by, kids are a handful, and Iā€™m so grateful I have the help!!! We do more of a barter and trade system for the most part tho.

When I was working full-time and she had my son I paid her around $500 a month.

5 Likes

20 a day? And bring everything the baby needs

Iā€™ve kept my 2.5 year old granddaughter since she was 8 weeks while my daughter and son in law worked, and for her/ them to go out and stuff. Iā€™d never consider charging her. My Mom or Mother- in- law never charged meā€¦ but they didnā€™t keep them full time either.
I think the going rate here is $150-200/week minimum, but we keep her to help my daughter out and if I charged her that would really negate the ā€˜helpingā€™ aspect.

4 Likes

This is going to greatly depend on what you already provide and your income. If youā€™re providing all the snacks, food etc then I would say you donā€™t need to be paying hundreds or anything. But itā€™s going to depend on your income and what you can pay.

If your mom is watching your kid full-time, Iā€™d pay her. If sheā€™s babysitting here and there, thatā€™s different. Daycare for a 1-year-old would be well over $1000 a month where I live. Iā€™d give my mom no less than $800/month.

My daughter pays me $40 a day, I only have them 3 days a week, the other 2 days son in law is home.She has a high paying job with lots of responsibilities and she thought only fair I get something, I set the price. I didnā€™t want to over charge like daycare but I thought $40 a day seemed fair. When I babysit for date nights that is free after all I am grandma,

1 Like

For all of you saying she shouldnā€™t be paidā€¦ like wtf her time has value to and she has bills to pay Iā€™m sure of itā€¦ if no one else does this for free why should she? and at a certain age we are exhausted chasing our babies around. I could see if itā€™s once in a blue for a few hrs but def gotta pay her something. Maybe she can see if there are programs that will help pay you to babysit its what Iā€™m in the process of doing with my daughter to watch my 3 grandchildren ages 5 to 4 months old .

7 Likes

Just a thought , if you are going to be paying As Much as daycare , consider sending for the social interaction needed.

3 Likes

no never did she never took money for this

As a grandmother my payment is spending time and building memories with my grandaughters.
If your mother has given up work to watch your baby then of course its only right you pay her. If sheā€™s at home anyway then id be supplying everything baby needs and buying an occasional treat for Grandma.

I was 20 with a 6 month old and I started watching my moms kids (3&8) for $30 a week because she acted brokešŸ™„ please pay her more than that, if you trust her with your kid please respect her

See what daycares get paid go based off that also is she providing the food or is that your doing? Is she bringing her on outings and teaching her as a daycare would take all these factors on pay base

I think for people saying nothing they are greedy as maybe at first she didnā€™t want pay but itā€™s her time as well canā€™t just say she should do it for free because sheā€™s the grandma she has a life too and I think itā€™s fair for her to be paid for her time as well

1 Like

I pay my mom $120/week. $160 on weeks the kids have early out or a day or 2 with no school. $200/ week during the summer. This is for 4 days a week. I work 4-10s also I have 3 day weekends.

ETA: I pay what I would have paid a daycare I was looking at for my 2 kids (5 and 9).

2 Likes

I used to pay my mom out of my taxes, $250/ month. She watched him while I worked full time.

Iā€™ll have 2 grandkids every other week come summer Iā€™ll charge my kids for watching them but then I go buy food they like

My aunt watched my kid when I first had her and Covid started. The state paid her $300/month and I paid her an extra $100

1 Like

I used to pay my MIL $400 a month. She watched him 5 days a week from 600am-4pm (this was back in ā€˜04). When my youngest was in daycare we paid $125 a week

I would never and have never charged for hanging out with my grandbabies its not babysitting its hanging out lol

6 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $12427 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HEREā€¦ https://onlinehomejobbiz27.neocities.org/

My sister gives my mom $100 a week to watch her three year old and two year old, - my mom isnā€™t in the best shape so it can be hard on her but my sister would rather give her the $100 a week vs $700 or more a month the daycares in our area wanted.

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched my grandkids that are 4 and 6 since the day they were born. I donā€™t charge my daughter. I also donā€™t need the money. My husband and I decided that we wanted our kids to be able to buy their house and cars and have a good life. My grandmother also watched my kids when I worked. She didnā€™t charge me either. However, I helped her with her large yard and upkeep and spring cleaning. My daughter does not. My fault. Everyone is in a different situation. If your mom needs the money thereā€™s nothing wrong with paying her. Feeding kids today is very pricey and not everyone can afford it. Thatā€™s something that you have to work out between yourselves

3 Likes

436 a month . And my mom only has my child 3 days of the week before school and sometimes after school for a hour max . And in the summer she gets 500 a month and still only 3 days for 8 /9 hrs .

Never had to pay my mom , and my daughter doesnā€™t have to pay me . Thatā€™s super weird to have to pay ur mom

1 Like

A Grandma should not charge anything!!!

2 Likes

When my son was youngerā€¦I provided my mom the food for her & my son and any gas $ she needed to get him to school/activities

1 Like

Hi hunny. My daughter just had a baby. I was here before birth. She is 11 weeks old now. Gabby hasnā€™t gone back to work yet but she will soon. She works 10 hour plus days. She pays for all our food whether itā€™s home or out. Iā€™m in Alabama from NC. I rent a townhouse in NC. So Iā€™m not working. Iā€™m not sure. I hope it all works out

My mom watches my son 1-3 days a week depending on my schedule. I homeschool so on the days she watches him she homeschools him too. She has never asked for $ and she understands Im a single mom. If I have extra like tax time I give her $. I also paid for our entire beach vac including condo, water park tickets and all the gas and food at the condo.

4 Likes

Give $50 a wk for gas & suchā€¦not all grandmas have money to spare

3 Likes

I donā€™t charge my kid, my mom didnā€™t charge me. She brings over whatever her toddler will need for the most part.

1 Like

I never charge my kids for watching them. My mother never charged for watching them and they stayed with her a lot. But daycare 5 days a week charges 175 a week.