How much do you pay your mom to watch your kids?

My parents love spending time with my kids
It’s priceless quality time!

2 Likes

I pay a good long time family friend $350/2 weeks. That’s for full time care of a newborn, a 13 month old, and after school pick up and care of a 4 & 5 yr old.

1 Like

Pay what you can afford. both my sister -in law and my mom watched my son as a baby during different stages of his life. Neither charged me but I paid them because I knew it was the right thing to do. I wasn’t making alot so I would pay them anywhere from $75-100 a week. So biweekly $150-$200. My mom stayed home with him cause she couldn’t drive but my sister would spend money on him to go eat or get a treat. I didn’t feel right letting her pay for all that and still not get paid for her time and effort. Everyone have a different situation, so again pay what you can afford. I’m u’re a daycare would charge much much more. In my town it’s $250 per kid, per week.

After reading some of these comments, please don’t feel like your mom is being selfish or that she’s the only grandmother in the world who is paid to watch their grandkids FULL TIME. I have had a great experience with my mother in law watching my kids. Mine are 13 months apart, and the cost of two in daycare at one time plus me not wanting to put them in public daycare caused us to have a conversation within our family about how to meet everyone’s needs, while prioritizing the care of the babies. My MIL had a part time job and needed/wanted to keep that income. So, I paid her about that same amount she was making part time and it was about 60% less than full time daycare for 2 babies. They’re now 3 and 4 and in preschool. She picks them up everyday and still helps me so much. It’s been an enormous blessing for our kids to be cared for by their grandmother, and sometimes that means helping to meet the grandparents needs as well. Best of luck❤️

2 Likes

I pay my mom $400 a month for my 2 elementary school children when they are in school to help get them back in for to school till my hubby or me is off work. When they are out of school I pay her $600 a month. I know I would pay 2 or 3 times more than that going to a daycare.

I think it’s awesome that you want to pay her! She deserves it because that’s a LOT to ask of someone. Maybe $10 an hour would be fair?

2 Likes

Depends on if she wants to be paid by the hour/day/week. I babysat 2 kids for $100 a week, but I now work in childcare and I feel like that wasn’t enough at all. I would probably change $10/hour at least now. As for all the people saying they never paid or they never asked, just because your mom or you yourself never asked for payment doesn’t mean someone shouldn’t. Watching children is a hard job. Even if it’s just 1 kid.

My mom and Mil each have a day a week and it’s free

I agree with you, Jessica!!!

My mom doesn’t watch mine consistently like this, but if she did, I would probably give her $15-25 a day depending on how long she had her and if they have to pick up my other one from school. Just figure up what your baby is eating and give mom that amount and enough to feed herself lunch if she’s not looking to actually make money money.

If any family ever babysat my kids its automatic pay them something. No matter who it is.

I pay the car note car insurance oil changes and some of the fuel. I also try to buy anything she may mention she needs. She never ask for any type of money, but this is my husband and I child and I feel it’s only right.

My Mom watched my daughter…occasionally…she and my father were retired and hardly went anywhere except in the winter they were snowbirds. I offered to pay her to watch my daughter for an hour or so during the shift change when my husband and I traded off…(we both worked at the same factory but opposite shifts so that one of us would always be home with our child)…my Mom refused so instead I had to get a “certified” sitter, paid a crazy amount of $ for an hour day where my child was herded into a small single wide with a ton of other kids and the sitter just sat with the TV on. So I guess my point is, if your Mom will do it be very grateful and pay her well!!

1 Like

Calculate how much you’d pay a daycare center. Once you know how much you would be paying, then you can try to pay as much as you can towards that and be honest with her about how much you are able to really pay her.

You should’ve been paying her. It’s one thing if she’s watching for you to go out for the evening, another for you to go to work every day.
Pay a couple bills for her.
Day care is like $50 a day with strangers watching your child, and you get love and care and affection with your mother.
I personally will not take any money from my daughter to watch my granddaughter, but I’m not watching her as a job every day either.
I happily paid my mom $150 a week 20 years ago when she watched my daughter when i went to work.

1 Like

My mom was charging me $5 an hour and then if I was 5 minutes past hour she’d charge me another $5. Meanwhile my son was sleeping and she lives in the same house as us lmao

$250 for my 15 month old. She runs a Dayhome.
Used to be $700 for both my kids full time in her care. (Oldest is in full time school now)

I worked 4 days a week ten hour days with a 3 hour both way commute, my mom watched my daughter and she charged $245 every other Friday. That was 13 years ago though, I’m sure prices have gone up since then.

I paid my sister $250 week for 4 days 32 hrs a week

Nothing there my granbabies & i love them

2 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $25974 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HERE… https://onlinehomejobbiz20.neocities.org/

1 Like

I pay my mom $600 monthly for before and after school care and rides. If my kids are on breaks I pay more as she is having to be with them much more.

1 Like

My sister in law charges me 100 a week

So parents nowadays are charging their children to watch their grandkids??? Tf

9 Likes

I paid my mom 100 for a toddler. That was in 2007

I had my neighbours daughter looking after my kids after school. I finished work at 3 and the kids finished school at 2.50. So it would of only been half hour at the most 3 days a week. I payed her $20 at the end of the week. Sometimes $30 if I had to do a shop before I got the kids

My daughter pays me $250 a month and I also work overnights. Her kids are basically school age but we are constantly trying to coordinate three work schedules and kids schedules. She also has three cars so I can get the kids where they need to be and puts gas in the car. I also go to her house to watch the kids and will work on her house. She offered to pay me but the extra money does help.

1 Like

The same you would pay a regular babysitter.

3 Likes

Shit, I wish my mom would babysit. We haven’t had a date night since my 4 year old was about 4 months old :sweat_smile:

I give mine what I can, lol she don’t ever ask I just do anyway. (But I help all my fam as well financially, & they help with my baby)

1 Like

Been watching my 2 grandkids full time now and my girl pays for my cell phone every month to pay me because if she paid me she wouldn’t have bill money

3 Likes

I know babysitters make like $10 per kid per hour in my state

Minimum should b 150

I’ve been watching my 4 grandchildren since 2017…never gave asked never will…it’s an honor and a privilege to see my grandchildren everyday and see them growing up …

8 Likes

You should supply the snacks ect for your child and about $100 a week . If they go out and do anything you should give the extra $20 that day for gas. I’d say no more than $150 . Especially if she isn’t doing any learning activities the she doesn’t need to be paid the same as a daycare price . If she’s doing crafts and learning activities then she should be paid the same as the local daycares in your area

1 Like

I would never charge my children to watch my grandchildren.

8 Likes

I get paid $115 a week to watch my nephew 5 days a week.

I paid 600 a month for full time care for my toddler. I paid more if my older kids were out if school.

My mother would never want money to watch her grandchildren and I would never charge my daughter to watch my granddaughter

3 Likes

I watch my grandson 3 to 4 days a week and his brother those same days after school. My daughter pays me $150 biweekly. That gives me a little spending money which mainly goes back to my grandkids :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I don’t pay my mom for watching my daughter. I do however, bring eggs and milk since my daughter goes through them like crazy. Oh and diapers and wipes I provide as well. My dad works during the day but has a break in-between that he enjoys coming home to see her there. It’s only two days a week depending on if my mom picks up a shift. I do take my mom out to lunch and stuff to kinda help out with her as well.

1 Like

I pay mine for gas,weekly and I pay for their food…

My mom charged me $100 a week to watch my daughter while I worked from 7:30 am to 6 pm 5 days a week

1 Like

Yall need to talk expenses together and determine what’s going to be suitable for YOU

I paid $130 a week for my daughter not to my mom but a neighbor who watches kids out of her house next door.

My mom would never charge me to watch my kid. However, I would buy her groceries or lunch, or whatever she may needed while watching my daughter.

2 Likes

I pay my mom $100 for 2 kids. One she has for half the days and brings to preschool and the other she just puts on the bus down the street. But I have cousins who’s mom watches them for free. I guess it just depends on how much they eat on the daily and how much driving she does.

1 Like

I’m a grandmother to 4. I would never charge but I don’t know the other grandparents story either maybe she can’t afford grocerys etc. Times are getting hard for everyone these days.

2 Likes

My cousin pays me $25 a day to watch her 4 year old. Most times I don’t even make her pay.

I paid my mother before the cut off kin care in general as a program. Now I can’t afford to pay her so I clean her house every couple weeks to help and provide any grocery I can.
Twins are 5 almost 6

1 Like

Never charged for my grands. Ask her what she thinks is reasonable and go from there.

1 Like

I don’t pay my mom to watch my kids when I run errands but I do buy her stuff. She lives with us.

My mom is disabled. She doesn’t charge me anything now, mostly because I’m a single mom and can’t afford it. But while she was waiting on her disability I gave her 150 a week for my 3 boys. She only ever took the money because she didn’t have an income. Now that she does I don’t have to.

If she’s just watching them once in a while when you run an errand or a night out then yea she shouldn’t charge but if it’s like everyday for you to work then y’all should definitely come up with an amount since that is a full time job babysitting. Just you wouldn’t pay as much as a daycare amount.

4 Likes

Wow, I can’t imagine having to pay my mother to keep my child so I could work and pay bills. I would however maybe offer a little if you have it to spare. I would assume one reason you have her keep the baby is because you can’t afford full time day care. I can’t tell ya what to offer because I don’t know your situation. What you make, and what you spend on bills, food ect… take all that into consideration before you come to an agreement. I wish you the best.

1 Like

I don’t pay everything to my mom I do buy food,gas I give her money for my daughter school stuff… my mom dropped her off at school and daycare and picks her up… My mom deals with her school a lot more than we do

I watch my grandkids after school and on school breaks and would have never thought to expect to be paid for it. I consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to help out and get to spend time with my grands. That is part of being a Grammy.

6 Likes

I pay my cousin 130/week for 4 days a week.

I would never expect my mother to watch my child full-time for free. Daycare is expensive and I would rather give her a few bucks instead of a daycare. Doesn’t make her a horrible grandma for wanting some type of compensation, because caring for kids is hard work.

22 Likes

When my mom watches them I pay gas money and provide food

1 Like

What you can afford and what someone else can afford may be different. So it’s really something you need to figure out by looking at your income and your bills. Find a number that you can reasonably pay every week or month and give her an offer. There may be some negotiating that needs to take place.

1 Like

My mom would never take money for watching her grandchild, shes so excited to spend tome with her. So idk how much is reasonable.

4 Likes

I used to give my mum £100 a month and she used to have my daughter 2 days a week. I provided nappies/wipes and milk. This was before she started nursery/school so my mum would have her from 7am to 6.30pm.

I work from home, but my mom keeps her occupied while I work and takes her to and from preschool on Tuesday and Thursday’s. She never asked for money, she felt it was weird for me to pay her to watch her own granddaughter.

2 Likes

We paid my MIL/FIL like $300 a month. It wasn’t much. But a little something.

My mom is on disability so when she comes to watch my kiddos for a few hours so I can run errands I always give her like 20. I also babysit a 3 year old and her mom pays me 25 a day so 500 a month.

I’d love to have the opportunity to pass money into my Mum like this- unfortunately she lives interstate :cry:

To answer you question, I would find the price of the best daycare in your area & see what they offer (meals, outings, education etc.) & then pay your mom a little less then what they charge because your mom probably does not have a specific regimen she will follow as your child gets older regarding teaching, outings, etc… Share with your mom what amount you think is fare & how much you can afford. I like that your not complaining about it & she’s not giving you an amount. Sounds like y’all both love & respect each other & are just trying to come up with an amount. If your mom is good with your baby consider yourself blessed to have her babysit. It will create a beautiful bond. My mom has passed away but my daughter will always treasure her grandmother caring for her. We all miss her so much. :heart:

Depends on what you and her agree on… my m other in law baby sat my oldest until he was 4.5 for us every day for free while we worked … now I’m a SAHM

My mother-in-law is the only wanna watch my son and we do not pay her. It’s not frequent though only once a month for about four hours.

My husband and I buy dinner for them though whether it be pizza, takeout whatever
and last time I also got her a case of Celsius drinks because she likes them but she would never pay for them.

When I was little and my dad would have family watch me, he’d pay them 100 a week to help with the food I ate through out the week

My daughter is almost 8 months pregnant, and when my granddaughter arrives I’ll be watching her full time. I will not charge my own child to spend time with my granddaughter.

8 Likes

Ask her what she thinks is a reasonable amount. If it’s to much for you tell her and just come to an agreement. It’s amazing what an open discussion can resolve.

My girls pay my car payment. My first daughter started this with her first child and continued through her second child. This allows me to drive a newer vehicle than I could afford on my own. My second daughter now has a child and she continues this for me. My payment is $400/month

3 Likes

My girlfriend pays her mom $800 a month, she always says she just wants to make her car payment at the very least.

Give her at least money for gas

I would never charge my daughter to watch her kids because she does more for me then I could ever pay her back for .but if your mom needs the money and you can afford to pay her I think that is a wonderful thing to do.just give her money whatever you can,she may not even take it. Or buy her Things she needs as payment.toilet paper and stuff.just an idea.

6 Likes

I pay my mom 25 per babysitting day. It’s once a week for 8 hours cause that’s how long my shift is that crosses their fathers. If it’s an hour or so for shopping and errands she doesn’t let me pay. And tbh everything I give her she spoils my kids with lol

2 Likes

My mom didn’t watch my kids

I never have paid my mom to watch my kids. Or my MIL

If I had to throw up a number, I would guess 25.00 a day. That’s just a guess though.

My mom would have never charged me to watch my daughter and I would never charge my daughter to watch my grandchildren. She enjoyed the time she got with her and viewed it as making memories instead of babysitting. I had offered to pay her a few times, but she viewed the time as priceless. Now, she and my daughter are extremely close. In her eyes, the payment is the time she spent with her. I guess every family is different.

1 Like

I pay my sitter $17/hr for 2 kids. It’s $410 a week for me for 3 days full time. We don’t have family that can help us so I hired help.

My mom kept my daughter about 4 hours a day when i was working a job that had longer shifts and we agreed on 20/day

I would say pay her what ever you’d pay a babysitter if your mom wasn’t watching her. Since it might be her only source of income sounds like.

Paid my monster in law $30-40 a day plus milk , diapers , n everything

1 Like

My parents and sister always want(Ed) money. I have three kids and this was even just one child. the last time my sister babysat (all three kids a few years ago) I paid her $70 I did $10/hr. However, my in laws do most of the babysitting and never ask for anything. Sometimes milk, or food, snacks things like that but never money. Unless it’s a lot or with little notice then we offer a pack of cigarettes or a coffee. They’re fine with it. They say the kids are family and they’re just happy to spend time with them. My daughters are 10, 6 (almost 7), and 4.

2 Likes

I pay my mom 125$ a week for my daughter.

2 Likes

I used to pay my mom $2 an hour but that was for 3 kids and that was like 35 years ago!

1 Like

My mom used to watch my kids while I worked and I always paid her because I appreciate that she is doing it for me. I got paid bi weekly so I would give her 200 each paycheck sometimes less sometimes more depending on how much I worked etc.

2 Likes

I dont, but ive offered. Id pay what I would normally pay a daycare for her time

I don’t pay my mom she doesn’t charge me to watch her grandchildren

2 Likes

I would never charge my kids to watch my grandkids! I felt like if I could help them out I would cuz child care is expensive and by time they pay for care their pay roll is more than half or more that they have made!!

3 Likes

Going rate for babysitters where I live is about $15 per hour, typically also per kid.

1 Like

I pay $25 a day for his aunt

$100 a week for my in laws to watch our kid full time. We also supply his most of his food/drinks plus some groceries for them when we have the extra $ and also everything else he needs.

I paid my sister 150 a week. At that time it was about half of my paycheck.

I pay my 17 year old sister 100 bi weekly this is because she’s only watching them for 4 hours while I get some sleep till I return to work after that we shall figure something out.

My mom never charged me ( of my sister ) for watching my daughter while I work and go to college, but I do help her with her bills ,phone .
The only time she will ask to get pay was If I wanted to go out like to a bar or something :slightly_smiling_face:
She is a very very devoted grandma so my sister and I spoil the heck out of her :slightly_smiling_face:

I will suggest to have a talk with your mom about her finances and her bills , if she is not working she might be struggling a little

I have never paid anyone to watch my child. Also never left her with anyone but family. Blood or chosen.

I paid my mom $100 every 2 weeks which wasn’t bad since a daycare would be more but I only worked part time.

1 Like