How much should I pay a sitter?

How much should I pay a babysitter to watch my 7 year old from 9 pm to 10 am the next day? She would most likely be sleeping from 9:30 to 7 am the next day…

61 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How much should I pay a sitter?

Depends where you live. I think everywhere is a bit different. I would pay $80 for an overnight where little effort is needed.

Well minimum wage is $7.25 an hour… so at least $8 an hour. But maybe ask the sitter?

1 Like

The sleep doesn’t matter. You still have to pay her for her time. I say about $80 a night.

12 Likes

I’d probably ask her what she would charge.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter if she’s sleeping or not, sitter is still responsible for her. Going to depend on where you live. In my area you’re looking around $125-$150 or more.

16 Likes

Really to give a accurate answer we would need more info

80-100 sleep don’t matter you should got to pay her for her time

8 Likes

My sitter is paid $13 per hour. She is cpr/first aid certified and has a strong I ng background working with kids.

1 Like

In az minimum wage is 12.80 /hr.

1 Like

Minimum wage plus £1 at least… I’d say £10 minimum per hour. The sitters need decent wages as that’s their job!

Doesn’t matter is she s sleeping , she needs to be on guard all night long still …

9 Likes

Doesn’t matter if the child is sleeping. You still need to pay a sitter at least minimum wage.

2 Likes

Damn minimum wage here is $15.65 and that’s 13 hours…

Is she not in school? 10am the next day, she should be in school at that point.

1 Like

I would ask what they want and go from there

At bare minimum $100

Mackenzie Marie DeBold

So in Oregon (where minimum wage is $12-$15 an hour) when I was a state paid sitter I got paid $6 an hour for the first child up to 8 hours then it went down to $4 an hour… and $2.50 an hour for each additional child from the same house hold.

We pay $250 for overnight for our 3 kids, sleeping or not, the sitter is responsible for your child’s safety and well-being.

10 Likes

At least minimum wage $15 an hour if they have CPR and first aid

1 Like

£80-£100.
Doesn’t matter if she’ll be asleep for a lot of it, she’s still on duty

4 Likes

30 dollars and send her with breakfast

8 Likes

At least $100 for an overnighter I would say.

2 Likes

Wow I’m in the UK when I used to baby sit I would get £20 and a tale away if lucky haha need to move to America haha

3 Likes

I pay 15 an hour plus I provide food

1 Like

I would agree beforehand…to $50.

2 Likes

13 an hour. And everyone sleeps so not sure why you would make that comment. She is still there with your child. That is if you want a permanent baby sitter or multiple people around your child? Good luck.

What does she’ll probably be sleeping have to do with any of it? Does she not get paid because she’ll most likely be asleep from 9:30-7. Pay her what she wants, child care is expensive, especially over night child care. 13 hours at that. $100 at least

7 Likes

Should be paying at least $15 an hour

2 Likes

In the 1970’s, I was paid $50 for an overnight…

25 years ago , I paid $10 an hour plus a generous tip plus their food and bought whatever they wanted to eat and drink . 25 years ago

8 Likes

A 7yr s/b sleeping all night so that s/b a breeze. 125.00 a week sounds fair for this scenario.

3 Likes

Ive charged 50$ flat from 5p-7am

Doesn’t matter if she is sleeping or not …she still gets paid at least 100 bucks

7 Likes

You get what you pay for… you want someone attentive and responsible you need to pay that wage

3 Likes

I charge $10-$15 an hour

2 Likes

$100 minimum but $15/hr is the low end of the pay scale these days even if she may be asleep

1 Like

Bring her to me … i will watch her for free and she will be safe !

1 Like

I’d say at least $100 and at least dinner and breakfast on you

1 Like

Doesn’t matter if she is sleeping. You should be paying her for the hours she is at your house. If your child was to wake in the night or there be an emergency than she’d be the one responsible so should be paid for the hours she is responsible for

12 Likes

Good lord these prices :flushed: I remember babysitting for $15/$20 for a Friday parent date night lol These aren’t bonafide nanny’s. I guess this is why my kids went everywhere with my husband and I, because if I’m gonna pay someone $100 to watch my kid I may as well stay home :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

Question is do you want quality care or just a body present… you get what you pay for!

5 Likes

I watch 2 kids once a month for an overnighter and the mom pays me $250.

6 Likes

My daughters families all pay her $15 as a minimum.

1 Like

How much are you making an hour? Also, is it “at home under the table child care”??? They probably collect public assistance and don’t claim the extra income anyway while they sit at home on their butts…just saying what I see going on these days. Or they’d be working a real job too! Big facts!!! Go to a licensed care center if you are going to be expected to pay top rate. Never pay these amounts that to an at home sitter, never! Unless you are making $500 a day, then maybe. Times are hard enough for God’s sake!

10 Likes

At least $150 a night. Even though the child is sleeping she’s still watching her.

10 Likes

I pay my son’s sitter $200 plus a week. You’re lucky to be paying half of that.

The sitter needs to be paid for the amount of time she is away from home, responsible for your child. Even if she is sleeping, she is still required to be available in case of illness, accident, or if a fire should break out. In case there is a break in or other emergency. It would be decent to pay at least minimum wage, and allow for experience, training in CPR/ first aid, etc. Also there should be agreements made whether you are providing food or snacks for the sitter while she’s there. Or whether she’s responsible for breakfast dishes or not. With school starting, she’ll be seeing your daughter off to school, you will need to leave a check out to send on Mondays for your child’s school lunches.

3 Likes

I think experience is also key to coming up with a good wage. Is it a teen just looking for extra cash? Or are we talking experienced mom with cpr first aid certs? That has a lot to do with it as well.

2 Likes

Overnight is a big deal especially if they are coming to your home. You are paying someone to leave their home to watch your kids overnight . That’s a huge responsibility and burden. I’d be thankful you not only found someone you trust but pay them for the service they are providing.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t give less than $200

1 Like

I pay my sitters $20/hr. So for those 13 hrs I’d pay $260. But since it’s overnight I would probably pay about $300.

5 Likes

Don’t matter if child is sleeping you pay for all the time the setter is there 100.00

1 Like

I’d go 100 if it’s an over night

1 Like

Wow… I pay 3.88/hr at a licensed daycare for my 4yr old son. So not more than 45 a day and not more than 250 a week. Ppl on here saying 100 a night :exploding_head: it wouldn’t justify me working and I make $16/hr

6 Likes

Maybe 60. But I’ve got teenagers I trust that’d happily take 20-30.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter if she’s sleeping or not. The babysitter is gonna be there overnight and deserves at least $100.

3 Likes

You’d want to be paying at least $200
More like 250 to 300 for overnight

I’d be saying a minimum of $15 an hour, so 13 hours is basically the $200… Being overnight you’d definitely need to add some extra. Hence 250 to 300

Having someone come to your home overnight is a huge deal, a huge responsibility and can be an inconvenience, so the sitter needs to be paid accordingly

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter if your child is sleeping. This person is being hired to watch, protect, and if needed nourish, soothe, and clothe your child. You are using 13 hours of their time to provide a service to you. Pay them accordingly. Babysitting isn’t cheap nor should it ever be. Being responsible for other people’s children is a huge responsibility. Your child’s life is literally in their hands while you’re gone. Show some appreciation for the profession please.

5 Likes

I’d say at least $100

3 Likes

You should pay her whatever the amount she ask you, if you think that is more than what you can you just have to get someone else to do it .
I do not know why some parents think that they should pay less for overnight just because the kids will be sleeping.

6 Likes

I would do $150, money to order food and then stock snacks.

1 Like

I would pay Atleast $100 if it’s overnight…

2 Likes

For 13 hours?! I would charge 200

3 Likes

Pay whatever she ask. The safety of your child will be depending on her. Don’t be cheap!

14 Likes

But let’s say you only paid 15$ an hour. That’s 195$

1 Like

60-100$ that including food for breakfast

1 Like

My children have went to quite a few sitters over the years including licensed. At one time my shift was 6pm-6am and another time 3pm-1am. I always paid $15-$20 per a day for each.

People saying they would or do pay $100+ :flushed: … I would never and couldn’t even justify it and I make over $26 an hour

9 Likes

Gosh That seems so expensive. I could never afford that on two kid.

2 Likes

What state do you live in? My sitter was $15/hr when minimum wage was $14

Depending on age of said person and what you expect a good $150-$250. It’s your child. :heart:

Whether it’s 10 hour or 200 a week not everyone makes that amount to be able to pay. Best things to do is talk to the sitter and see what she has in mind.

2 Likes

$15 hour. Don’t matter if she’s sleeping or not. She is there with your child while your working

8 Likes

Doesn’t matter if she is sleeping . Someone is still not at home not comfortable and being with ur child when ur not . Don’t be cheap that person will be caring for the most important thing in ur life.

6 Likes

I watched a friends son for $50 a day

5 Likes

$15an hour at least. She is being trusted with your children during the night , God forbid an emergency happens. She could make that as a cashier somewhere with less responsibility, you pay for the security of keeping your kiddos safe overnight

3 Likes

$20 an hour I’ve always had growing up.

Regardless if she is sleeping you are leaving are leaving the most precious thing in your life in her/his care: your child. With that said I myself would pay $20.00 an hour at a minimum for that care. Your choice. Your child.

10 Likes

depends where you live minimum wage is 13 per hour here in CT.

My sitter charges $20 for one kid and $25 if I have all 3 (share 50/50 with the older two’s dad).
That is her asking rate if she watches them for a few hours, overnight, and when she travels with me.
I happily pay it because she is worth every dollar and more.

4 Likes

In England it’s £17 an hour daytime £20 night plus £100 for the sleep in for a disabled child so would expect to pay $200 for a babysitter over there at least

Threads like this make me glad I don’t have to pay for childcare. How are people supposed to pay $15-$18 an hour for childcare when they themselves make about that much? Of course people paid to watch your kids should be properly compensated, but you can’t squeeze blood from a stone. It must be an awful revolving door to be stuck in…

23 Likes

It doesn’t matter if she’s sleeping. She’s still responsible.
Pay her appropriately please.

11 Likes

That’s insane. I use to charge my friend $100 for Friday to Sunday morning.

2 Likes

Depends really where you are. My friends are paying me $100/ night in our area that’s a lot but not many people are willing to babysit overnight at someone else’s home. (They made the offer, it was not per my request) but this is a small town in Michigan. If you’re in say… Chicago I’m sure it would be much more

1 Like

Just think,
You are trusting this person with your child. I wouldn’t be cheap about it

2 Likes

I’m curious. Those saying $15 an hour (for 13 hours overnight) or something similar. Could you really afford $195 a day? That’s $975 a WEEK (for 5 days of care since most people typically work 5 days a week) for childcare? That would be $3,900 a month. That is absolutely ridiculous for childcare for one child.

13 Likes

Depends on if its in your home or theirs and what they are comfortable with. If i am bringing my kid to your house overnight and they are asleep 95% of the time they are there Im not paying 100$ a night especially for you to be sleeping in your own home. AS a single parent id go bankrupt trying to go to work. I made 13 an hour and only brought home 1600 a month. If im paying 100 a night 5 nights a week… thats 2000$ that is insane.

It’s complicated but I charge 1/2 my hourly rate during sleep hours. So for instance if it’s $15 an hour- I’d charge $7.50 an hour from 9:30-6:30am; and then regular hourly the remainder of the time.

2 Likes

Just to send your kid to daycare with or without diapers is $45 a day maybe a grand a month

i used to just get $10-20 from my moms friend for doing this!

I would offer a weekly rate to her $200 a week

1 Like

What the baby sitter deserves vs what the average parent can afford are two very different numbers. She deserves $15 an hour minimum but you’d have to make at least $30 an hour to make it worth you going to work.

10 Likes

I’d say about 150-300.
And kid is only 7? 8/8ish bedtime. My opinion.

1 Like

Whatever u and them agree on.

I ask $15 per child per day plus snacks especially if its just a few hours or overnights. When I needed a sitter a few years ago that’s what I paid.

3 Likes

Minimum wage here is $7.25 so a lot of parents get state assistance to help pay for childcare.

When my kids were in daycare I paid $20-$25 cash per day per child, Depending on age group. That also included breakfast, lunch and a snack.

We live in a small community and most daycares charge around that same amount.

Can I just say regardless if she’s sleeping or not the sitter is still responsible for the child. You don’t stop being a parent once the kids go to bed.

26 Likes