How much would you pay a high school student to watch your kids?

What would you pay a senior in high school to watch your three kids 8,6,4 for 1.5 hours on Wednesday-Friday? She would get them off the bus at four and hang with them until 5:30 when my husband gets home. She would be driving to me. (She will start in November and work through September)

8 Likes

I pay $3 per child per hour

1 Like

I would do what your minimal wage is. But I think $10 a day would be good.

I paid £5 an hour. I’d maybe suggest $20-25 a week? I don’t get this per child thing.

15 depending on her experience

1 Like

$15-$20 a day. Going rate here is $10/hr for the first child, $2-$3 more per child.

1 Like

She is driving to you an home? Pay the gas mileage an $3-5 per kid per hour :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

At least $15 an hour.

5 Likes

Would she be helping with homework, snacks? Do you have any pets she would also be helping with? How far will she be driving to get to your place? I think $30-40 a week would work. So thats $10-13 a day.

1 Like

I’d pay her at least $15 a day

2 Likes

Don’t forget her time to come and go from your house. Especially when so convenient for you! Don’t think know high school student would do it for less than $20. It’s a commitment!

2 Likes

Kids here in CT get between 12-15/hr and many charge an extra $2 per kid. Id say $20 ! Day is fair.

2 Likes

I would say at least $20 bucks a day if it really is only 1.5 hrs. Don’t take advantage just cause they’re teenagers.

12 Likes

In my area going rate is 20-25$ for one child up to 8 hours a day. That averages to about 3$ an hour but cus you have multiple children I’d say 10$ be fair

1 Like

What are your kids worth?

1 Like

$400 a month plus mileage

4 Likes

Yikes… not an easy job… at least $20 a day make it worth it and she will keep coming back.

3 Likes

We pay 20 a day for our high school nanny to pick up our 6 and 8 year old from school and watch them from 325-5 every day. We think $20 is fair to cover gas and her time.

Make it worth the drive. $25 a day at least

1 Like

$50-75 a week since there is 3 children. That’s roughly $3.70-$5.55 per hour per child.

3 Likes

When i was a freshman in college I nannied 3 kids M,W,F, 6 hours each day, $15 an hour

I’d probably give her $50 a week. That’s reasonable and covers gas. I don’t live in the US though (,not sure where poster lives) so that’s normal for my country.

2 Likes

I would pay $100 a week.

9 Likes

Idk where you live but I pay $3 an hour for daycare

1 Like

I would do $30/day to make it worthwhile.

$15-$20 it’s not a long time but if she is getting them started with homework and after school snack plus the gas

$20 a day is fair. I would pay my babysitter $35 a day but I’d pay even if she didn’t watch them on a particular day

2 Likes

I’m a freshman In college and I babysat quit a bit for close friends and family members and even some people I didn’t know all through out high school. I would get $10 an hour or sometimes just $40 for the night because they wanted to go out a lot of those times were for family more but I say about $15 a day because it’s not that long unless you expect her to help with homework because thats kinda tutoring as well and it’s more effort from personal experience

2 Likes

After school care is about 25$ a day. For each child. So pay her 25$-35$ a day. And your still saving about 50$ a day and don’t have to pick them up on your way home.
The can govt subsidy for 3 b&a 1 hour up to 4 hours is 250$ a month. :woman_shrugging:. Ask her what she expects. She probably already has an idea of what she wants.
Honestly I would pay her 25$ a day for childcare and 5$ for gas and give her a receipt. And keep one for yourself. Also that way she can’t in a few months complain about how much gas costs off her wages it’s already there. Hugs. It can be complicated.

I need to go into the baby sitter business I used to only make 2.00 a hour

Geeze…I paid $125 a week for full time for a baby! I would say like $40-$50 per week is fair…

1 Like

$50/60 every Friday seems fair

Minimum wage. That high schooler can go get a job somewhere else for better pay otherwise. Make it worth their time and make their first job a good experience.

2 Likes

Depends on what state and area. Also depends on how easy your kids are. When I was a young teenager I babysat all the time. Easier kids where cheaper. I ended up watching one kid, that not enough money in the world was worth it.

1 Like

$20 a day seems fair

In Aus the going rate for a qualified baby sitter is $25/35 per hour. Because they are in high school i would go around minimum wage per hour or a flat rate of say $75/$100 week

I think 15-20 is fair

When i was in high school i got paid around 15-20 an hour + gas coverage. that was only like 3 years ago!!

Shit y’all. 3 kids for an 18ish yo?? Fuck pay her decently so she treats your kids decently geez

I would want to keep consistency and happiness if she/he is good. I would pay no less than $25 a day. This is taking up their afternoon after their school day and a big commitment.

$15 then her mileage from her house to your back to hers.

I usually charge a flat rate of $20/day per child. For a high school student who is driving to you (using gas) I would expect you to give her no less than $20/day.

1 Like

Yup. 20-25 bucks a day

Flat rate probably 75 a week. 20-25 a day.

I feel like this really depends on your location. Here in the Midwest 3 kids daycare would be maybe $8/ hour. But some places it’s a lot higher.

No less than 10 an hour but with her driving to you I would say 15 and hour

I think $75 a week is fair, it is only 4.5 hours a week. And everyone drives to their job and most employers don’t pay you to drive to your job.

$15 an hour. For three kids, you’d actually be getting her for a steal.

If she’s driving I think $20/hour so $30/day.

1 Like

What is minimum wage? She should get no less, plus mileage for those few hrs.

1 Like

20 a day, that includes the cost of driving.

$50 a week would be plenty for 3 hours of work

3 Likes

Depends on the how mature she is and doesn’t sleep on the job

You could ask what she wants to charge you and if what she asks seems a little low then go with the $20 a day and after a few weeks or a month if she’s doing a good job get her like a $10 gift card to show your appreciation for her work.

$20 each day and extra on gas

3 Likes

I’d say 20-25 a day if she is driving to you and watching 3 kids.

Will she be helping in any other way i.e homework, snacks. If so I would say $100, especially if she drives to you.

She did not say she was taking her to work , the babysitter would be driving to her house .

It’s only an hour and a half, but it is 3 young kids and how much do you want to keep her? It also depends on where you live. Maybe $50-60 per week. I think you should be asking around locally.

40 bucks a day especially if she if she taking you to work.

I’d gladly pay $20 a day for that kinda service.

1 Like

10 per kid per hour.

Total $60 is reasonable!