How Much Should I Pay a Babysitter for an Overnight (34 Hours)?

QUESTION:

"Hey! So I was wondering how much you would pay a sitter to watch your two-year-old overnight?!

I will need her from 6 am Saturday morning until 4 pm Sunday. She usually charges $10 an hour but agreed we could do a flat rate since it’s 34 hours, and my daughter will be asleep from 8 pm - 6 am (hopefully lol).

So I’m just curious what amount you guys would think is fair for that amount of time?! Thanks!"

RELATED QUESTION: How much would you pay a high school student to watch your kids?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Personally I do $35 for overnight. But in your case with it being a whole day and night and most the next day. I would charge mine $50 for weekdays but $60 for the weekend. My rate is based on my area i live in a small town in Tennessee. I do $20 a day $100 a week for 8 hr shifts $120 a week for 10 hr shifts for 1 child each child after is an extra $10. I include all meals, etc.”

“Going off what you usually pay your sitter it’s a 14-hour workday and then an 8 hour workday with essentially her sleeping over in-between? So 24 hours is 240 and then an overnight rate of 40ish…a little extra to be nice…300 sounds fair!”

“I wouldn’t do this for under $300. Yea your babe is sleeping for 10 hours but that doesn’t make her any less cared for. 300 is under $9 an hour.”

“I say if her rate is usually 10 an hour that would be 340 bucks. I think 200 would be far if she is willing to do a flat rate.”

“$250-$300. She’s still watching your child at your house, even if she’s asleep. I would pay the $300.”

“This was a few years ago but…I babysat 3 kids overnight, 10mo, 3yo, and an 8yo. I was paid $350, but also they left their card for us to order food (and in case of emergency). They paid me $100 per kid, plus an extra $50.”

“When I did babysitting I did $20-$25 a day for 8 hrs and I provided all the food. I would t charge a lot for the overnight part because the kid will be sleeping. I’d say no more than $100 is what I would expect at the absolute most. Also is it at your house or the babysitter’s. Any qualifications like first aid or CPR?”

“If she normally charges $10 an hour, and your daughter will sleep for 10 hours, I would work it out to be $10 for the expected hours she will be awake and $3-$5 for the 10 hours she is asleep.”

“$200 based on the fact she typically gets $10 an hour. About 6 years ago I was watching a child 40 hours a week for $200 a week. So rates differ by demographics.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

42 Likes

$17/ hr average hourly pay

5 Likes

I charge 3 bucks an hour

2 Likes

If it was me I would be happy to get like $150 or so

2 Likes

We pay ours 20 an hour. That was the cheapest rate we found

1 Like

I’ve never had a paid sitter in 15 years so I’m clueless. But at least $150 for her time.

Personally i do $35 for over night. But in your case with it being a whole day and night and most the next day. I would charge mine $50 for weekdays but $60 for the weekend. My rate in based on my area i live in a small town in tennessee. I do $20 a day $100 a week for 8 hr shifts $120 a week for 10 hr shifts for 1 child each child after is a extra $10. I include all meals etc.

5 Likes

I’d do for $100 you pack food

1 Like

$200 based on the fact she typically gets $10 an hour. About 6 years ago I was watching a child 40 hours a week for $200 a week. So rates differ by demographics.

1 Like

If I needed an overnight sitter my parents would step up for free, when I babysat in high school I got paid $8 for 6 kids for overnight, the kitchen was so horribly messy I spent most of the night washing dishes that were filled with mold and maggots. I never babysat for them again. The other person I babysat for I left the pay open what they could afford one time it would be $1 per hour, another I would get paid $50 for 4 hours (same person) simply ask the sitter what she thinks would be fair.

2 Likes

I’d say probably $150

Going off what you usually pay your sitter it’s 14 hour workday and then an 8 hour workday with essentially her sleeping over in-between? So 24 hours is 240 and then an overnight rate of 40ish…a little extra to be nice…300 sounds fair x

4 Likes

I wouldn’t do this for under $300. Yea your babe is sleeping for 10 hours but that doesn’t make her any less cared for. 300 is under $9 an hour.

3 Likes

Nothing less than $200,
Minding kids is way different to house sitting.
Leave taxi/petrol money for emergency drs/hospital visits and medicine money along with medicare card.

This was a few years ago but…I babysat 3 kids overnight, 10mo, 3yo and an 8yo. I was paid $350, but also they left their card for us to order food (and in case of emergency). They paid me $100 per kid, plus an extra $50.

You guys saying 100 are ridiculous…at least 200-250.

4 Likes

Damn, I need to be a babysitter lol…I was thinking maybe 100 if that…

I used to watch my friends kid for about $125 overnight. That was her decision to pay me that, and I thought it was more than fair!

20.00 a day is what I would charge, meals included.

Holy crap! Where I’m at ud be lucky to get $40 to babysit over night. … $100-$300+ is insane!! Plus people here usually charge $20 a day for an 8 hour + day… how do u live if ur giving ur entire pay check to a sitter??

3 Likes

$250-$300. Shes still watching your child at your house, even if shes asleep. I would pay the $300.

3 Likes

When I did babysitting I did $20-$25 a day for 8 hrs and I provided all the food. I would t charge a lot for the over night part because the kid will be sleeping. I’d say no more than $100 is what I would expect at the absolute most. Also is it at your house or the babysitters. Any qualifications like first aide or cpr?

1 Like

$200 it’s for 2 kids.

1 Like

$200 and $50 to order food

I think it depends on where you live. In California you would not pay $20.

1 Like

£250 If its the one two £300

I say that because its over night and she may wake up!

I say if her rate is usually 10 an hour that would be 340 bucks i think 200 would be far if she is willing to do a flat rate

3 Likes

An entire day + half a day with someone else’s two year old is worth at LEAST $150. Plus having to be away from your own bed, at least $50 for that. Plus personally, I’d leave money to order food.

1 Like

This question is inaccurate to answer. Each and every area and state is different for rates and timing and etc . It legit ALL depends on your areas rate…

If she normally charges $10 an hour, and your daughter will sleep for 10 hours, I would work it out to be $10 for the expected hours she will be awake and $3-$5 for the 10 hours she is asleep.

1 Like

Personally I charge more for an overnight. Its a night not at home and regardless of an awake child or an asleep one im still caring for it. I would subtract $50. 10 hours=100. Give her 50 for that time in case the kiddo gets up. But that’s just me. Then her regular rate for the other 26 hours

I can’t imagine that being any less than $200

4 Likes

I charge 40 for overnight

I watch all three of my grandkids for free. Bought all the diapers, baby food, and always feed them for free. Just saying

1 Like

About $100-150 but be open to negotiation. Thats a lot of time to take on someone else child.

1 Like

Damn for 1 child and overnights… you people are expensive… So glad I don’t need a sitter. I use to 150-200 for 3 Children… I could barely afford that. That was 10 years ago… If they are a license daycare they shouldn’t be charging daycare prices… That’s just my opinion.

I’d say for an overnight baby sitter, $250 sounds good. And I know you’re saying the baby will be asleep from 8-6 but we all know that’s most likely not going to happen…

1 Like

I mean $340 doesn’t seem terribly outrageous especially if it’s the first over night

1 Like

I get 12.75 an hour to sit with disabled adults thats 433.50 for 34 hours I would do it for less then 10 an hour

I’d think $175 is fair. That’s what I would be prepared/willing to pay. 💁

Is this an every weekend thing she’ll be doing? I would say 250. She’s giving up her whole weekend to help you out, but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Are you paying her while she sleeps I know she still responsible for the child but just keeping it asking around and there’s no family involved that you could ask

Is it’s a teenager that enjoys it I would think that $150 would be nice. Especially cash.

3 Likes

I would charge $100 , but it was for any of my siblings I would not charge

I’m a mom of 4 who has babysat often in my years…I’d say no more than $100. But that’s my opinion.
But then again I’ve been a mom for 20 years and have never paid for a babysitter. But i have been paid to babysit pretty often.

Just remember not only will she be taking care of your angle but feeding her like 5 times. She going to have to give her at least one bath while you are gone?

My husband said to pay her $400+… he thinks she should get time and a half… :laughing:

6 Likes

No wonder i cant go anywhere but to work who could afford a baby sitter! Not this mom!

1 Like

$200 sounds about right.

4 Likes

Just pay the girl…I got kids…handful…400.00

1 Like

Seems a little high I would say 100 it a good price.

Damn 200+ for a night over shit! I wanna be a baby sitter now :rofl::rofl::rofl: make like 1500 in a week

Coming from a sitter 150 175 is fair

3 Likes

I say150.00. However you should discuss with your sitter what she feels is fair.

1 Like

$180. I say $180 because it’s a little more than half of $340. and you say your normally pay her $10 an hour.

1 Like

When I used to babysit overnight I would get paid $150-200.

2 kids $200 My 17 year old get around $50 to $60 doing 9p.m. to 10.a.m. and that child is about 8.

Hi! 10 year veteran nanny here! $300 seems fair if your normal is $10 an hour and she hasn’t requested to be paid hourly (which would be fair too). Keep in mind that just because she and your child are sleeping, that does not mean she is not still working. You pay her for her service of caring for her child, so if you child wakes and needs care in the middle of the night when she is technically not being paid, that becomes unfair to her. $300 is the absolute minimum that is fair in this situation. (If it were me, I would charge more than the normal hourly rate for the overnight. $100 per night + normal rate for waking hours. THAT is the most fair.)

39 Likes

I say $175, make sure the house is stocked with food for both your little and the sitter and drinks for both. If your sitter agreed to a flat rate for the night maybe talk to her to see what she feels is fair. If she is okay with a flat rate she is okay with taking lower than the $10 per hour rate, but you want to keep it fair. I have never paid more than 250 for an entire week of someone watching my 7 kids.

11 Likes

Think $250 is reasonable after you decide importance of the activity. Children are expensive, parents need to recognize this and change life activities so they can be afforded!

4 Likes

Having done a lot of babysitting day and night I would say between $300-400. There area lot of factors here. The sitters age - a teenager or an adult, spending money or a needed household wage, experienced person who will prepare the child’s meals, bath, knows CPR, could handle an emergency situation, etc.
Sorry to rattle on but these facts SHOULD be taken into
Consideration. YOUR CHILD needs to always be in the BEST not cheapest care possible. Children are priceless!

9 Likes

I would say $200- $250. That to me seems reasonable for 34 hours. I guess it really depends on the person and the child’s needs. Everyone is different.

7 Likes

Think about this, your child will be restless because you are not there. Pay her the rate she is entitled to at 10 an hour.

5 Likes

Wow I did two children for 110.00 for an entire weekend. Parents sometimes need a break.

14 Likes

340…if I had another job I would except them to pay be what my hourly rate is. Now since it is 34 hours straight you could add in time and half for overtime. Pay what the sitter is worth if not and the sitter is great you could risk losing your sitter.

1 Like

Why would she be any less responsible because the child is sleeping? Are you, as a parent, not responsible for your child when she is asleep? Of course you are! If she charges $10 per hour, then pay her that. Your child is worth it!!

11 Likes

I do in home daycare. I would charge $75. I charge $25 a day for 1 child. That would be 3 shifts… I wouldn’t pay more than $100 for an overnight it really wouldn’t be worth it. Unless you are making major money you are paying more for the sitter than you are making.

4 Likes

If it was me babysitting I’d maybe charge 75 dollars. But I guess maybe 10 dollars an hour for the time she’s actually awake. So 190 to 200?

2 Likes

The fact that you say “hopefully” to your child being asleep tells me that you are not certain that your daughter will stay asleep. Pay the babysitter $10 an hour because even when your daughter is sleeping, she is still holding down the house and ensuring that your child is safe.
Just be careful with whatever decision you make because if she is a good babysitter, then you do not want to lose her. Good babysitters are hard to come by.

2 Likes

You don’t know that the child will be asleep during the night. You are paying someone to take care of your child and “be on call” at night…I say keep the hourly rate. $340. But you can’t really put a price on peace of mind.

6 Likes

I don’t charge for night because they are sleeping but I get roughly 2$ an hour for day hours.

I don’t know why my comment is funny but welcome to the block list. No time for your drama.

7 Likes

It doesn’t matter if the child is sleeping or not. She is babysitting and actually if it is over night you should pay more. Pay the $10 hr for 34 hours.

5 Likes

Whoa in high school I did over night child care total of 40 hrs a week 2 kids for $100wk

Your Very lucky to be paying $10, don’t complain. I did overnight care for a long time, over ten years! And I received $18 per hour. So run with $10. It would not be me for they amount. And they paid me Cash!!!

2 Likes

I made 50 cents an hour back in the day!!

5 Likes

10.00 an hour is minimal pay . Most girls get at least 12 and more for overnight .

I would say 250 because regardless if she ia sleep she still is there watching her.

I think $250 is fair. Hopefully you’ll also include some of your sitter’s favorite foods for her meals.

1 Like

I’d do $150 with a nice tip and dinner.

2 Likes

When I do overnight, the parents paid me $10 for every hour they were awake and $25 flat rate for the time they were asleep so I would say about $265

1 Like

340 even if child is asleep someone gotta watch and protect. No ? Are there chores involve? If it just watching changing feeding your baby I guess that person deserves the 340

Seriously though if I am watching someone’s child I always charge super low because these are hard times and not everyone can afford to pay so much but I mean if you can afford it then pay more and if you can’t I would go the flat rate fee of 100 bucks per night… I mean its one toddler for christs sake I watch my sisters four kids plus two of my own all the time for $40-60 bucks, sometimes overnight and I don’t just charge that just because she is fam … I would say I just charge that because I am a decent human and its hard to find someone trustworthy to leave your kids with nowadays and not every mom can afford more than that… Its me I’m mom🙋🤣

2 Likes

Just ask her how much you owe her and pay her whatever she asks for.

Doesn’t matter if child is sleeping she’s still in her care

What about the 10.00 hour is flat. Child is sleeping but the caregiver is still responsible for the hours.

1 Like

I think $125.00 to $150.00 should be a good price

1 Like

I did whole sleep over parties for a park district 100 bucks flat rate is all I got paid…

I would say $250 if she agreed to a flat rate.

1 Like

I read some of these comments. Are you sorry you asked?

$250.00, if your child in fact sleeps through the night.

Sheesh… I’m old fashioned I guess. Id do it for 100. My lil sis is 21 and would settle for 100 lol

5 Likes

I would say 300, or 200 and provide money for food and snacks.

The reg. 10hr. Then $50 for the night.

5 Likes

Wow I must be incredibly cheap because I watch four kids every day for free…they are mine of course but dang I should be rich by yalls account​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Id pay the 340 then extra depending on the child…my youngest is definitely gonna include a hazard pay :joy:

1 Like

Id ask her what she’s comfortable in taking or what she expects to get.

Some of ya’ll kill me. You expect her to pay the babysitter for a full night of sleeping. One person even said overtime. Nah. That’s less than a full time job, and probably most if not all the money the parent is making during that time. I was a nanny for 6 kids and only made $10 an hour. Yes, that’s lower than the average, but unreal. Parents with kids have bills to pay also.

200 to 250 is reasonable

250/275 from a 16 year nanny

$10 hour for awake times $50 to stay the night.

4 Likes