How old is too old to breastfeed?

I have been breastfeeding for 12 months now and do not plan on stopping anytime soon. I was just curious when other mamas stopped and why you made the decision to stop? Is there a cut off age?

10 Likes

I am a CLC.
My daughter fed till she was 6. In some countries the average is between 4-7

6 Likes

I breastfed my first born till she was 3.5 years old. We stopped cause she chose to stop. Iā€™m all for breastfeeding till the age of 5 cause of there immune systems fully mature by then :blush:

3 Likes

Iā€™m still breastfeeding my son at almost 21 months.

1 Like

I nursed my first until 2. She self weaned.

I think itā€™s really up to you and your comfort. For me I stopped when my lo got the first teeth. My lo bit down on my nipple and it bleed for a day, I couldnā€™t pump it at all until two days after when the bite healed a little. My one boob got swollen, and huge. It wasnā€™t what I wanted to do initially but I chose to continue to pump until the first year was over, but I stopped breastfeeding at I think 10 months. My lo still got breast milk, just not in the ideal way.

1 Like

My sister nursed until 18months, another friend went until 2 years. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Here the thing by the time they are 6 months -1 yr breastmilk should still be a good portion of intake in addition to the solids. You can offer breast and then top off with solids or alternate a breastfeed and a solid feeding as they get older.
By the time my daughter was 2 she was feeding maybe 3-4x a day sometimes more if she was sick or hurt and needed the comfort. By the time she was 3 it was 1-2x/day and by the time she was 4 it was every other day or 2-3x/week. Once she was 5 it was once a week and stayed that way until she weaned and yes you still produce that long the nutrients change to meet the childā€™s needs it will be a lot less in quantity but more concentrated at the same time

2 Likes

Itā€™s truly up to each individual to decide what age is the cut off. Some nurse until 12 months, some nurse for less, some nurse for years, and some donā€™t nurse at all. Thereā€™s no right or wrong answer.

3 Likes

Feed for as long as you like . I feed my 5th daughter to 16mths she was my longest

First one 2 1/2 years, second one 18 months (she just stopped :woman_shrugging:) and third one was 3.

1 Like

My daughter was born with teeth, bit me nonstop but didnā€™t stop feeding til she was 3.5 itā€™s up to you what you wanna do

1 Like

There is no cut off age, I believe the natural age for natural weaning though is between 3 and 7. Itā€™s recommended to breastfeed for at least 2 years if you can. My son only feeds to sleep, heā€™s 2.5 years at the moment but I plan to wean him before he start school if he doesnā€™t wean himself

1 Like

I did it till they would use their sippy cups,they would not take a bottle,I had Three none would take a bottle!!!

It is not indecent it is not something to be ashamed about and it continues to provide needed antibodies as the get older they donā€™t have a full immune system until about 7-8 yrs and breastmilk greatly contributes to a stronger immune system.
Itā€™s also ok to nurse through a pregnancy, or have a new baby nursing and also nursing an older child off and on as well. The cool part is if your 3-4 yr old goes to preschool comes home with pink eye, gooky nose/eyes, or cuts/scrapes your milk if still breastfeeding can help them get better faster. Putting expressed milk in a syringe and drop in eyes and nose when sick/stuffy can help it clear up so much faster too even if no longer breastfeeding that particular child

3 Likes

Its all up to you momma. Some people say stop as early as 12 months cause ā€œyouā€™re a perv if notā€, and others say later dates. Itā€™s all up to you and when youā€™re ready.

1 Like

I nursed my first till I had my second which was 20 months. Itā€™s all dependent on how you feel.

I breastfed my 4 year old for 3 years. He slowly breastfed less and less until one day he just stopped. There is no cut off age, go for as long as you and baby want/can.

2 Likes

There is sooo much social pressure to wean at 1ā€¦ or even 6 monthsā€¦ it needs to be renormalized to natural term weaning. As long as you are comfortable with it you can go as long as you want I promise theyā€™re usually fully weaned by 6 or so. Donā€™t let people pressure you to feel bad for continuing past 1 or longer. Your baby your body your choice period

1 Like

I personally feel like 3 years is about enough lol 2 is ok but ehhhhh.

1 Like

If you end up with a five year old still sucking on your boobies then itā€™s time to stop . Other than that enjoy the time untill you or baby are ready

4 Likes

I breastfed until mine was like 3 it got weird when he talked to me about it

1 Like

I breast fed till around 6 months. Pumping was only partially successful and I had trouble keeping up supply when I went back to work. A lot of people I know was a year or two but when you feel itā€™s the right for you and your family is when itā€™s the right time.

I fed both of mine for 18 months. I stopped with my first at 18 months because my extended family didnā€™t approve and guilted me for 6 monthsā€¦ they made me feel ashamed. She was only nursing first thing in the morning and just before bed or when she needed comfort(Iā€™d she was hurt or scared). I stopped with my son around the 18 month mark because he wouldnā€™t eat for me, he always wanted to be nursed instead of eating, and he had a very bad habit of bitting me. I have scars from him

I stopped when they started biting meā€‹:joy::joy:

I dont think there is a too old just a individual Iā€™m done with this lolā€¦ my cut off is 4 years old (momma wants her body back at that point) and am currently at 1.5 years into that journey

Did you know the Average weaning age is 2-7 years old? The WHO recommends nursing til a minimum of 2 years old.

My daughter nursed til 3 years old.

Breastfeeding Is between mom and babe, go as long as yā€™all desire.

1 Like

There is no cut off date for nursing. That is something between u & your child. I nursed my 1st till he was 2yrs & 7 months. I weaned bc I had just found out I was pregnant & my stomach cramped when he would nurse. My daughter will be 3 in less than 2 weeks & is nursing still (even though I have wanted to wean for the last year :woman_facepalming:)

1 Like

Do whatā€™s best for you!

I breadt fed my daughter till she was 3years 7 months old. X

1 Like

Personally I would stop at 2. If I really want my child to continue having breastmilk I would pump and give it in a sippy.

1 Like

I breastfed my youngest daughter till one week before her 3rd birthday.

Stopped at 2 and a half years old with daughter. Couldnā€™t stand it any longer. Was at risk of not breastfeeding my 2nd because I hated it so much, he was due 6 weeks after stopping with 1st. He is now 19 months. Want to stop again, but feel obliged to keep going so 2nd gets similar length of time to 1stā€¦

My daughter breastfed until she was 3.5 years. My milk went, otherwise we would have carried on.

Keep breastfeeding:) if thatā€™s what is still working for you guys ! You keep doing it :heart:

2 Likes

I nursed my first baby until he was 2 1/2, my middle child until she was 2 and the baby until she was 20 months or so!! I let them ween themselves. I nursed 6 years straight without a break in between! I tandem nursed the first and second babies! When the 3 rd baby arrived my middle child didnā€™t like taste of the milk

4.5 years with my oldest and just over two with my youngest. Only stopped because I got pregnant again and didnā€™t have milk. They both still latch occasionally as Iā€™m sure the two year old will continue after I have the baby.

20 months she stopped on her own and I was not going to remind her of it I was ready toošŸ˜….

Thereā€™s no cut off, your choice- donā€™t listen to anyone else.

2 Likes

How can i increase milk supply its too low plus the baby keeps on slpn the whole day

My son self weaned a little over a year. Glad he did since he was also getting more teeth & in one wordā€¦ouch lol

My daughter was 22 months. I weaned her at that point because she started refusing solids in favor of breast milk. My son weaned himself at 15 months (much to my disappointment!).

I feel like you shouldnā€™t breastfeed past the age of 2. I feel like after 2 is ridiculous if they can eat solid food they shouldnt be sucking on your titā€¦Ive seen a post of a lady who breastfed till the child was 5! Its just way to old to be sucking on the boob how do you explain that to friends, doctors, school etc that my child is still breastfed at fucking 5 like a big ass babyā€¦ LET THAT CHILD FUCKING GROW

19 months and because it was starting to take a serious toll on me mentally. Best decision ever. With Madelyn I will only be going for 12-14 months when she is born.

2 with my middle and so far 19m with my youngest.

My son is over 3 years old and weā€™re still nursing. On top of my daughter who is 4 month.

My daughter is going to be 2 in December and we are still going strong. By her doing. Over tried stopping but she will not go to sleep without it.

My daughter was just over 2. But itā€™s personal preference. Wish i had gone longer

100% of breastfed babies stop at some point :relieved: I plan on letting my daughter go until she doesnā€™t want to anymore

2 Likes

20 months! Iā€™d have gone longer but I was pregnant and too sore.

I stopped 2 months shy of 3. I had been tandem nursing since she was 15monthsā€¦ I was done. My second weaned at 21months old. I have a goal of 2 yearsā€¦ Iā€™m currently 2 months in

4 and my boy is still going at 2.5 :blush: they stop when they are ready

1 Like

My son was 2 years, 2 months old. I felt it was time so I slowly weaned him. I hope to go that long with my daughter too!

Whenever you want! General rule of thumb is continue breastfeeding until it is no longer a mutually beneficial relationship for you and your child. Longest I breastfed was my third, until he was nearly 18mos. I mentally couldnā€™t handle breastfeeding anymore. Any time he touched me I felt immediate anxiety and anger, I was ready to have my body back. So I weaned.

I breastfed my son for 18 months, I stopped after learning his dad was cheating and not using protection. I was starting to feel ready to stop just due to me needing my body back for my sanity.

Stopped at almost one years old when my milk dried up . I think once they can drink from a cup at a year , itā€™s fine for them to stop if you want . But , to each his own . I would not be comfortable doing so any longer for myself . There is no cut off age , however . You have to do whatā€™s best for you and your child .

Until you and your little are ready to quit.

My daughter was 4 1/2 yrs old when I stopped, only because she was starting school soon.

2 Likes

Whenever you and babe are ready to be done. :woman_shrugging:t2:I nursed until 22 months and wouldā€™ve gone beyond that but my dd was done.

They always say breasfeeding is best up to 2 yrs of age but thatā€™s all up to you when you feel like you should start weaning. Some stopped bfeeding as soon as child starts eating solid food. Every momma is different.

In my OPINION breastfeeding past 2 years old is unnecessary and weird. Againā€¦ My opinion, donā€™t @ me! (Sad that I have to put that. I get attacked any time I post my opinion on here!)

10 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a cut off dateā€¦def before kindergarten lolol! My daughter weaned herself around 10 months. I wonā€™t lie, I was a tad heartbroken :sob:

My opinion, but breastfeeding past a year old is odd. Again, my opinion.

4 Likes

I breastfed my first until about over 2yrs only stopped because found out I was 20wks pregnant with my second so supply dropped and she weaned herself off kinda the same with my second not as long because my supply dropped again due to being pregnant now with my third I plan to breastfeed for as long as I can

My son chose to stop around 11mo but I would have gone at least to 18-24mo if he wanted to. He eats really well though so Iā€™m not concerned. Heā€™ll be 2 this Nov.

I think itā€™s somewhere around ten years old good luck

1 Like

My baby is 2 and we are still nursing

My baby was 2 year 6 months to the day when I stopped. But it was only morning/night for a good few months.
My daughter has severe epilepsy. We were in and outta hospital for years. They would only feed me if I was nursing. I couldnā€™t even leave her to pee and my extremely abusive ex would take my bank card and spend everything in there.
Alotta time in hospital a boob was the only comfort and food tbh. She wasnā€™t eating or drinking anything else.
Her seizures had been settled for a while and by this point I felt it was the best time for us both to stop.
Each mommy is different, each baby is different. Do what is best for you both. You dont need to plan ahead just do what you feel is right and take it each day x

My son had reduced to one feed a day by 15 months and it was more for comfort. I returned to work also so we had introduced occasional bottles of formula. Decided to make the switch at 15 months and more so because my son weaned himself. He liked having a bottle of milk before bed. Follow your little ones lead. The world health organization recommends breastfeeding until 2 years of age but many people go beyond.

I nursed my son for 2.5 years, by that time he was still nursing constantly through out the day and even still wanted it in public at times. He didnā€™t need it, just something he enjoyed and used as comfort and I was over it so I decided it was time to wean. It took a good deal of effort at first but he got the idea and just a couple months later he acts like he doesnā€™t even remember.

1st 1yr and a half
2nd still going (3 and 5 months)
You do you. Aslong as baby and mother are happy, nothing else matters.

I didnā€™t produce enough, unfortunately.

1 Like

Currently about to be 21 months and still nursing and idk if i want to stop or not

When pre school is started.

My son was 2 1/2. My milk slowly dried up

However long you want to

1 Like

How old is too old to breastfeed? -whenever the mother is ready to stop. There is no right or wrong answer. Breastmilk is always beneficial. :purple_heart: You go as long as you want.

4 Likes

Too old to be nursing is when you or the child dont want to nurse anymore. I stopped at 22 months because it was painful and I wanted time off between babies.

3 Likes

I just stopped breastfeeding my 3 year old. Iā€™m still breastfeeding my 15 month old. Iā€™d go longer with my 3 year old but Iā€™m expecting and donā€™t have 3 nipples. :joy:

1 Like

I cut one off at 4 and my youngest at two. I breastfed for 5 years straight and nearly two years of tandem nursing. This mama was D-O-N-E after five years. :heart:

2 Likes

You do whatā€™s best for you and your family!!! I nursed till 18 months but he weaned himself

I nursed my son for 3 yrs and 2 days. I was ready to stop and had to cut him off to get him sleeping in his bed. I felt that was the limit for me personally. We will see how long I can go with my second, due in feb!

I feel like this is a personal decision but once the little one is able to eat what I eat and drink on his/her own is the cut of for me.

Iā€™m70 and still love it lol

2 Likes

The average age of weaning around the world is higher than in America. That being said, I think it is a personal decision. Some children will self wean early, and others will wean later. My daughter nursed until recently, and sheā€™s 2.5 years old. She showed no signs of self weaning any time soon. I, myself, was beginning to get tired of it so I had planned to wean her. Unfortunately, I had emergency surgery, and she was forced to wean in the 3 days that I was gone from her. I was ready, but I saw how the abrupt weaning was hard on her. Once youā€™re ready to stop, stop.

You do you :slightly_smiling_face:
I tandem feed my 6 month old and 2yr old

When you or your child are ready to stop. I stopped nursing at 22 months because he got a bad case of thrush and quit cold turkey.

I stopped at 12 months once I started work my little one liked the idea of a bottle on the go so she didnā€™t want to nustle up and nurse no more.

Itā€™s a personal choice.

I stopped at 2 1/2 for both of my kids :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My goal was to breastfeed for at least 1 yearā€¦but when that time came I wasnt ready to quit and neither was my son. We had a pretty good routine down. I stopped pumping for bottles during the day at daycare at 17 months and then basically only breastfed to go to sleep and as needed at night. I started feeling like people looked at me weird when knowing I still breastfed at close to 2 years. He finally weaned at 2y 1m. Ultimately it is up to you how long

I stopped once babies had teeth :rofl:

2 Likes

You can go as long as you and lo are happy and comfortable. I quit at 12 months because my lo was down to once a day and I was done.

Go with your gut momma! Only you know what your babyā€™s needs are. There is never a ā€œtoo soonā€ or ā€œtoo longā€. Every mother has a different experience with breastfeeding. You will know when itā€™s time to ween!!:heartpulse:

Honestly, it is completely up to you. My babes pretty much weened themselves around 18 months on their own :heart:

1 Like

I breastfeed for 2 years.

Iā€™ve got 5 children. Minimum I fed for was 16 months and maximum was 3 and a quarter.

3 Likes

My mom bf me til i was 2 :joy: i bf my baby for 2 weeks. Its all up to you and your baby really

1 Like

I went for just over 3 years. She weaned herself.

1 Like