How old should kids be to bathe alone?

How old was your kids when you let them bathe by themselves? Like you’re not in there with them? I have an 8 yr old son who can pretty much bathe by himself but I still sit in there with him to make sure he does it right.

42 Likes

My 6 older kids bathe alone. Ages 13,11,10,9,8,6 …my 5yr old still gets help and my 2 and 1 yr old of course get help

My oldest is almost 5 and I’m starting to show her how to bathe herself. I still have to wash/rinse her hair though. I probably won’t leave her totally alone for another year or two.

2 Likes

I let my 7 year old shower by himself

When they can properly do it by themselves

3 Likes

I helped mine until they were like 5/6 to wash (especially my daughters hair) but once they were washed I’d leave and let them play.

I let my 5 year old bathe by himself but I go in and make sure he washes his hair properly still. My older kids (almost 9, 10 and 11) all bathe/shower by themselves and I bathe my 1&2 year olds.

I would say boys, probably 7 or 8… girls… 8 or 9… fully by themselves… unless the boy has long hair… then you have until highschool lmao
My daughter is 6 and I know there is no way she would wash her hair correctly lol

My 6 year old, I wash his hair and his back. He washes the rest. Basically, to make sure he hits all the key areas! Head, pits, crotch and butt!

My 11, 10, 8, and 6 year old shower on their own. My 4 year old and 20 month old I still bathe.

I would hope he could shower .

2 Likes

Eh, I wash my almost 4 year olds hair and make sure he soaps up with a washcloth but then I let him chill. I stay within ear shot and check about every 3 minutes because I’m paranoid, but I more or less let him bathe himself.

4 Likes

My son is 6. I let him bathe by himself as long as the door stays open.

1 Like

Mine were around 5 or 6. Helped the girls with their hair but they handled the rest

1 Like

Hahahaha I have 10 & 11 year old boys that need to be monitored or they do not wash properly or hair!! Grrrrre !!drives me nuts! I have a 2 yr old baby girl who showers better than them!! Hahahahahaha!

2 Likes

If your son doesn’t bathe right, let him be. It’s a phase. He’ll grow out of it… around high school.

2 Likes

I sit on outside of tub and bathe mine until age four. I teach them how to properly wash themselves by three. At four they wash themselves i do their hair. By six i teach them to wash their own hair… by age eight they can stand up in shower and do it all themselves.

I have never gotten naked and bathed with my child. No need…

1 Like

i sit with my 7 year old, mainly bc he has adhd and gets distracted easily

Mine were about 5 I think. By 8 definitely.

My daughter was about 6-7 but every couple of months I would notice her leaving soap in her hair so I would go and reteach her and be sure she was doing it right.

My 8 yr old only calls me into make sure he got all the shampoo out. My 6 yo and 4 yo also shower by themselves but I check in on them a bit more.

When you trust them to I have a 3yr and 5yr who can get there towel and clothes, turn on the shower put it to their preferred temp, wash themselves all over and get dressed my 5 yr old just chose to be so independent from the age of 2yrs when she decided she wants to go toilet on her own wipe and all. since then she just loves doing everything I do and I guess my 3yr old just copied her other than the toilet part.

1 Like
  1. But I still gotta check on him because he really hates soap and water :unamused::woman_facepalming:t2::100::rofl:
1 Like

My 7 yr old son can shower by himself, I do pop in there to remind him to wash all the “crevices”. But I still help my 9 yr daughter old with her hair sometimes. I at least check to make sure shes gotten all the shampoo and conditioner out.

My daughter is almost 7. I put the shampoo and conditioner in her hair and put the body wash on the poof. She washes her body and she rinses her hair and body herself.

1 Like

My daughter will be 8 in March I just now let her but another kid pushed her down at school n fractured her wrist so she has to be sponge bathed till the cast comes off or she be bathing on her own. Minus her hair she still needs help washing her hair

I have boys 7-11 bathe by themselves… girl 10 bathed my herself… I taught them which order to wash they hair n scrub they’re body.

8 seems pretty excessive. By around 5 or 6 mine was showering alone with me sometimes asking things like “did you get your armpits?” Or “did you get in all your creases (groin area)?” My son is 8 and wants privacy when he’s naked. He will occasionally ask me for a washcloth or yell for me to come see his foam creations, lmao, but I couldn’t imagine an 8 year old not being able to shower without a parent present… I honestly think by school age they shouldn’t need you in the room to shower.

10 Likes

5 or 6 but checking in. My daughter was 9 when she was able to turn on the shower by herself as it’s older, however, I would jsit turn on and leave sooner than that

5-6. My girls needed help with hair but my son was good. By 7 they all were in the tub alone. I am in the next room over if needed but they are alone

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and does an amazing job by herself

1 Like

I stopped being int there with my daughter at 7 just kept popping my head in evey 5 min

Mine has been taking baths alone since 4, but I still rinse her hair at 5.

3 Likes

My 8 & 5 year olds shower themselves. My oldest I help once in a while with her hair if needed otherwise that’s it. My 5 year old scrubs up herself, I just wash her hair.

1 Like

Um… 8 years old is more than old enough to be able to bathe without you sitting in there…

10 Likes

My youngest is 6 for the last year we’ve been transitioning to letting her wash more by herself. She still needs help with her hair but mostly she does fine on her own.

4 Likes

My son showers alone with check ins and he is 5. My daughter has for a while. She’s almost 8

He should be doing it right by now but if he misses you can always send him back in to do it right but at that age he needs some privacy

5 Likes

Hmm my daughter takes her bath alone since shes 5 but we always recheck her hair since she tends to forget :wink:

2 Likes

Between 7 and 8 but I always made sure to check constantly and also make sure they follow a check list of everything they need to scrub before playing or getting out the tub.

1 Like

My 4yr old daughter likes for no one in there when she bathes. We just do check ins.

My oldest is 6 and still needs a little assistance washing but otherwise he’s fine in there and can dried and dressed himself

My youngest is 6 and has been bathing alone for about 2 years. I used to ask if he got this or that but I dont anymore. My oldest is 8 and I cant remember when he started anymore

2 Likes

My daughter is 7 & she showers alone with the exception of washing her hair I have to do that because she seems to miss parts of her hair when shampooing lol. But I’ve taught her how to wash her privates ( soap and water on the outside and creases, only warm water on the inside!) & she teachers that lesson to her 5 year old sister. She does great cleaning herself!

I think 8 is just the right age to trust her to do a good job herself :+1:t2:

My 8 year old showers by herself and washes her own hair.

my 18 month old washes himself with his lil luffa armpits and all, and attempts to wash his own hair ( does half decently at that)

2 Likes

Probably about 5 or so

Mine are 6,3, and 1 my 6 year old I sti go in to help him wash to make sure he gets everything same with my 3 year old, my 1 year old I obviously sit there and do everything with her

5 with me in the other room putting laundry away

2 Likes

My son is 5 and I only help with turning on and shutting off the water. Everything else he does on his own.

1 Like

Lol well my 2yo started at like 1.5 but I still check in every few minutes and rinse him off

13 Likes

:flushed: my son started at 5 and can do everything by himself. he showers actually.

2 Likes

I stopped at about 5/6. They yell out to me of they need help. I still help with washing hair though

Jewels Green - that is beyond unsafe.

6 Likes

Is it only me?, Thinking 8 is to old for you to be sitting in the bathroom with, I was showering myself , and dressing myself fully without help at that age. My kids do too

13 Likes

My daughter was 6 when I started off and on watching her and by the time she was 7 she was doing it completely by herself. Now that she’s 9 she stopped getting baths and only takes showers.

1 Like

When my kids learned to swim I let them bathe alone… luckily they learned young lol

I do my makeup when my 5 year old is in the shower so I’m right thr but she washes herself… I do hair cuz its extremely long… (it’s to ur bottom) but other than tht she bathes herself.

1 Like

My oldest is 5 & she does pretty good on her own. The only thing i have to help her with is her private parts lol

My six yr olds have been since 4yrs old. I check on them though

My 3 1/2 year old son bathes alone pretty much… I run his water… low enough that if he slipped there his head doesnt go under even, laying flat on his back… and I help him rinse the missed soap in his hair before pulling the plug and helping him dry off … I do pop in every 5 mins or so. He has always been a water bug so he pretty much plays for a bit then I remind him to wash and he soaps up and continues playing until I finally take the entire plug out the room so he cant put it back in… he is sneaky and hates getting out of the water so if I leave the plug he just puts it back in lmao.

Definitely would not recommend taking advice from anyone who leaves theirs unattended to young. There are so many things that can happen in seconds. I would also do
My own research aside from here as well. Any body of water alone is dangerous. My kids were over the age of 6 and still need help getting all the soap out of their hair at times. I have never left my kids unattended ever in the bath tub unless they were old enough to understand and know. My youngest two out of my 5 are 4 and 2 and I do not leave them alone.

2 Likes

My 9 year old is capable of showering by himself but I have to smell check him after to be sure he actually washed body and hair. More than once he has gotten wet and skipped the cleaning part :laughing:

1 Like

My daughter started at 7 but she has really thick hair and I still have to help her wash it real good but then I leave and let her rinse and do everything else

My kids wash themselves and take showers themselves they’re 3 and 4

5 Likes

A lot depends on the child . You don’t want one who plays around in the tub by their self with out checking anything can happen but one who just sets and cleans their self is a little different accidents happen all the time

I have 4 kids n each one is different. After 2 they’re all over the place anyway so I jus run the shower n no risks involved. They have plenty fun with all their toys n LOVE the shower runnin on them! My youngest is the last of the mohicans!!:joy:

2 Likes

My daughter has been showering by herself since she was 5. At 5 I would remind her to wash her hair and body correctly an would pop in the bathroom a couple times while she was in there to check on her but she shortly developed good shower habits an I didn’t have to check in on her for long.

1 Like

When I give my daughter baths (mainly showers) I sit in there with her and have her clean herself really good. I make sure she washes her privates good

My daughter was 6-7 with door open to call for help of needed the bathroom wasn’t far away for the living room just around the corner with the door shut 8-9 yrs she is 10 know but I still turn down tv or any noises just in case their is a problem
With my youngest she 4 but very small 22lbs about the hight of an average 2yr old I will be helping her and staying with her a lot longer than I did with my oldest

My seven year old bathes herself. She also knows if she doesn’t wash right she will have to do it again

1 Like

I send my 5 year old in alone to turn on the bath get her toys undress and get into the tub. I check to make sure she’s not in ice water but for the most part I trust her

1 Like

5years should be able to wash himself abd you can check him before he gets out

1 Like

You know this page is for mother’s asking for advice for many different situations and its sad that idiots like Danielle Barrett, has to come on this page with such nasty, disgusting comments and should be removed from this page. It’s really sad how much mom shaming happens on here we should be building each other up not degrading each other.

6 Likes

When my daughter was 2(almost 3) I let her sit in the bathtub by herself and play. BUT, I lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment at the time and could hear every sound, if I didn’t hear a sound I would go in there, but checked on her frequently anyways. She was never more than 10 feet away from me. also I wouldn’t fill the tub up a lot. She’s now 3 (4 in July) and she is aloud to sit in the bathtub alone and play by herself without me having to worry, she can get out and get her towel by herself when she’s finished. She never touches the faucet. I make sure any razors, soaps etc are out of the bath tub and she only has toys. I think it just depends on how developed your child is and how well they do. I also still live in small apartment, so I can hear her every sound and movement. If I’m in the other room,
For instance I was cleaning her room one day and she was in my bedroom bathroom, I wouldn’t be able to hear her. So I put the baby monitor in the bathroom on the sink and just watched her while I cleaned her room. The bathtub never goes past her belly button. Usually not even that filled up.

1 Like

Honestly for me it depends on when the chill wants privacy
Our youngest is 6 and wants is in there while he plays in the tub and bathes himself from head to toe, he also still like jumping in the shower with both my husband and myself, but by the time my older kids were his age it was all about “mom I’m too big” or “don’t look I’m naked”

My oldest is 6 and she does it all besides i wash her hair. She takes a shower not a bath. My younger 3 i bath still.

7 for me, but the bathroom door had to be cracked and I was nearby just in case.

I can’t remember such a long time ago I would think 7 but always check on them …

My boy is 5 and he can do it all himself, with some supervision and reminding

At 8 he should be on his own when it comes to bathroom duties J/S.

2 Likes

Mine is 5yr old. Still do the hair wash. But evernight I leave her and tell her to bath herself… and afterwards I wash her again. They still need that. But one eve she surprised me… when I was off to the bathroom she already waited on the bed for me to dress her… and you know what…she actually did a good job bathing herself. But for me is special time that I get to spend with her. Still put some cream o her body and nice baby powder… she is my baby tho… so love my kids. Hahaha and her brother is 12yrs old…oh my word i may Not enter that bathroom… enjoy the bathing while you still allowed mom.

Leave him be, he is old enough and will never learn if you keep standing over him.

4 Likes

It’s better to be safe than sorry. I still wash and bathe my 6 year old daughter, and then I let her play while I read her books. I probably will not let her bathe alone until she is 8. My daughter’s are 14 years apart, and I was the same way with her. I think I sat in there, and read to her until she was like 8. Water is extremely dangerous to young children. They can drown in just a couple of inches. Bathtubs can be slippery. They could fall, and knock themselves out and drown in seconds. You just never know what might happen. Keep those babies safe. :heart::green_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart::yellow_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve let my son shower alone since he was 6 but once a week or so I go in and scrub him down myself

5-6 checking in to say make sure you get the nooks and crannies

I would say whatever age YOU feel is appropriate. There’s a lot of Judge Judy’s in this post. We don’t know your child’s capabilities. We don’t know if your child has special needs or just likes having mom around to help rinse the soap out of his hair. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you that you are doing anything wrong.
As he grows he will be more and more comfortable doing it on his own. Take your time and allow him (and you) to be 100% comfortable with how he is bathing himself. Be there to guide him if he is missing a spot when rinsing his hair. Give him a shower-safe mirror if he needs help checking for soap.

It sounds like you are on the cusp of a fully independent bather. Maybe start letting him do it on his own and ask him how he feels about it. If he’s good then it sounds like you can give him a little space.
:heartpulse: good luck! And don’t forget an extra bath mat or towel on the floor!

3 Likes
  1. I let her do her hair herself but I double check to make sure she’s got everything out before she gets out.

My daughter is 4 nearly 5 I wash her hair but she baths her self I will tidy bedrooms ect and she has to sing to I can still hear her, give him abit of independence

3 Likes

I have a 6 year and she’s been doing it her self for a few months I still check the hair though but she doesn’t allow anyone in bathroom or room when she’s changing she’s very private girl let them do it when they decide I just stand out side asking if she’s ok or needs help

At eight you can supervise once in a while. We know what we taught our kids. Always check them when they get out the tub until the get the drift. If you smell something make him/her go back into the tub until they get it right. Trial and error.

My kids were 4 to 5 years old when they had baths alone but I sat in a chair in the hallway with the door open

1 Like

My friends 12 yr old will have greesy hair and she swears that she washed it. So yeah you might have to check behind him for a few more years. Lol :two_hearts:

Almost five bathing herself under my supervision

My five year old has just started doing it herself. I come in right at the end just to make sure she’s washed the conditioner out of her hair properly and to help her out of the bath. She’ll then dry herself.

Close to 4 my daughter started bathing unsupervised

1 Like

My 6yo daughter showers herself, she goes to her dad’s sometimes so I wanted her indipendant, she can’t wash her hair or anything though. I’ve been letting her shower alone since 4 cause shes very smart and likes to play in the shower water with her toys, all non slip surfaces etc.

1 Like

I dont really have an age to this but they had it down pat by 6. Mine always call for me because they “need” something. Ya know what they need? To “talk” to me and tell me something “super” important lmao. Moral of the story they are bored… in the shower haha. So we have chat sessions.

3 Likes

I occasionally wash her hair and she’s 10, her sister was 6 when she was showering alone.(it’s different for different kids)