How old should kids be to bathe alone?

When we can wash our bottoms on our own everytime we poo, that was the time my mom knew

Six . My 6 year old takes a shower by himself. My 4 almost 5 year old takes a shower and baths but I have to wash his hair .

I wash my 6 year olds hair and she washes the rest of her body. I leave her alone to play afterwards

My 8 year old takes showers all by his self. My 5 year old bathed her self. All I do is fix the water for her so she don’t turn on too hot of water

my step son was 3-4 years old showering alone and honestly he did a better job than he does now at 7 years old :roll_eyes:

My girls are 7 and 8 and I started teaching them to bathe themselves around the time the youngest was 5. They bathe themselves clean now. No issues

All mine bathed themselves at 5 my 3 year old is also doing it by herself I just wash her hair for her as she has quite long hair.

1 Like

My 4 year old washes herself. I just do her hair and her back. But I still sit in there.

I sit in the room or in the hallway right outside the door with the door open with my almost 4 year old. If I walk away he has to sing his abcs until mommy returns. Its normally just to get his 10 month old brother out of his crib

I think it’s about the kids individual comfort level. Personally though, if they’re going to bathe I’ll check on them regularly if in the shower I’ll wait in my room next to the bathroom in case they need me. Mine are 12(daughter) and 10(son). Neither of them wants me in the bathroom. But my daughter once every week or two will ask me to shampoo and rinse her hair extra good because she just doesn’t always get all the conditioner or product build up out.

My 8 year old started showering/bathing alone at 6. I wanted her to learn how to do it on her own as well. Talked her through all the steps, what all needed washing and why. Now she does it by herself.

My son is going to be 3 in a few days. He washes his hair, and everything else. :blush::heart: I just sit in the bathroom. :rofl:

Our daughter started showering herself at 8. She could bathe herself for years but the hair we always has to do or at least supervise for her until recently. She’s 9 now and can do it all herself just fine. I remember doing it completely myself at like 6 though so every kid is different.

He is old enough to not have mom with him

3 Likes

We started letting my daughter shower and take baths by herself around 6ish. Shes 8 now and i still leave the door open a crack so i can hear her

My sons were around 5 but I would tell them to call me if they needed me and I would ask them if they were ok if they were quiet

1 Like

Mine is 9. He has been showering by himself for at least a year. He STILL doesn’t always do it right but I just send him back in to do it again or rinse the shampoo he missed out in the sink. I’m pretty much under the impression my boy isn’t going to shower properly the first time until he gets old enough to start wanting to impress a girl because he really could care less if he’s clean at this point. I do all the caring about that for him. He just handles the eye rolling on the way back to the shower. Lol

4 Likes

Mine is 9 and he had been bathing himself since he was 4 and showering himself since he was 6. I am in the kitchen close by if he needs me. I still check his hair about twice a week to make sure he is getting it clean and doesn’t look like there is dried shampoo in it. I give behind his ears an occasional once over. He is at the age where he doesn’t want much help bathroom-wise from his mama.

My children were 5 I still washed hair and check their neck and ears but we started at 3 with training then10 min playtime in tub.

My son is four and I still watch him. The most I do is sit in the other room on my bed and watch him from there. I’m terrified of him drowning! He washes himself, I wash his hair (if he’ll let me) :smirk:

1 Like

When he became conscious about his body. And our differences in gender. He was 5-6. I just do sniff checks and march him back in if he slacks

2 Likes

My son started at like 8 when he could do it all by himself, youngest is 6, and I still wash her hair, feet, and back for her. She is learning to do the rest.

Only question and hope you don’t take it wrong but how mature is the child?
My oldest child start bathing by herself at age 5, but my second child did not start bathing by himself until age 8, my third child bathe by herself by age 6, and then my fourth child start bathing by herself by age 5.
So I think it just all depends on the child how mature the child is.
And how comfortable you are with it.

2 Likes

My sons 9 now been taking his own baths and showers since 4. Boys need privacy. Im sure now if i tried sitting with him during a bath or shower i would get a “Mom what are you doing?” :rofl:

I obviously bathe my daughter still since she’s 2, but I’ll leave her in there to play while I pick up the living room and get her clothes ready for when she gets out. She literally just sits there and yells MAMA when she’s done if I’m not in there. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Get that boy showering on his own.

2 Likes

I think he’s old enough to bathe himself.

1 Like

Age 5. I sat in the hall in case they needed help for about a week. Then let them go on their own.

My girls were doing it all alone by 4&5 except I’d maybe come In and help with their hair.

My daughters are 3 and 5 I let them take a bath alone I come in before they are done n I wash there hair n they do there body.

1 Like

I leave mime alone at 1 but she’s very advance but now they are 7 and 5 I leave them be and get things done and check on them but do what u feel as a mom

I let my 10 year old take a bath by herself with the door open my 7 year old I check in on. Both can shower by themselves

My children are nearly 9 and nearly 6 and the oldest has been bathing himself for about 3 years and the youngest also baths himself. If they need help with their hair then they ask but their at the stage where they’re very body conscious and they know all about the intimate areas of their body are personal to them. They choose now to not have anyone helping them. I think when they’re at the age where they understand about their body and care for it then they should do it themselves

My 6 year old showers by himself with us just checking on him to make sure he did everything

Mine we having showers around…5-ish. We stopped baths and did showers. Door open, and I would go and talk to them to make sure they remembered what to wash lol.
I would hear “oh yeah…ok”. And a little giggle.
Now at 12 and 9 door is closed, not locked, and they are fine to do their thing.

I think he’s good to go,you can leave the door cracked if u want 2

Each child is different, some are more “daring” and “mischevious” in a kid-like way when mommy isn’t there. My son has always been the rule follower so at about 5, my daughter has always been the more sneaky type (like climbing out of the tub to get things while dripping wet to take in the tub) so she was about 6. But even now at 8&10 I still yell in “are you doing okay” every 10 minutes or so, im sure it annoys them but it makes me feel better.

My cousin is blunt to be 6 and she does everything by herself has since she was 5

My son is 11 and i still go in a check he doing it properly, especially washing his hair…

Starting letting mine at 4, but I set the water level low, left the door open and gave them the noisest of toys. Every 5 check on them and started increasing the time away. Just remember noise is a good thing.

My daughters were around age 7 when they started showering by themselves. By then they were able to wash themselves and their hair properly!

I had waist-length hair as a kid, so it took me until age 12 to learn to wash it by myself. Got it cut.

I still have to bathe my 11 yr old he’s autistic my 6 yr old son just started to bathe himself and I still bathe my 5&3 yr old girls my 5 yr old bc she got hair to her butt and my 3 yr old well she’s 3 lol

My 4&7 year old both dont need me but I do keep the bathroom door open and check on them… but for the most part they do everything alone

Both boys with no hair ahhaha

2 Likes

I think my son was about nine or ten when I stopped staying in the room. Still at 11, I ask to smell his pits when he gets out…sometimes he has to shower twice.:woman_facepalming::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My 2 boys (4 and 2) shower by themselves well together but im not in there with them. I turn the shower on for them they get in they wash themselves, brush their teeth, play lol and then when i say “ok get out now” my 4 year old turns the water off and they get out.

2 Likes

My daughter is also 8 years n she can bath n Dress by herself. I also check on her …

My 5 year old turns the water on and takes his own shower/bath while I do whatever I need to. We haven’t sat in the room with him for about a year. He knows the temperature to turn it on and if hes taking a bath when to turn it off.

1 Like

My Son is 5. He does a great job…with a little direction of course.

My 8 year old son showers Completely by himself, I do check on him since he likes to be in there for over 1 hour

I believe this depends on the child’s maturity level. I have 5 boys the older 3 I bathed til about 7 8, the younger 2 are very independent and started showing alone about age 5

1 Like

I let my five year old play in there by himself but I leave the door open and can hear him the whole time. I check on him a couple times too. He still needs help washing his hair though.

I still duck my head into the bathroom when my 14 year old daughter is in there for like 45 minutes :joy::joy::joy: sometimes i just have too pee and sneak in :joy::joy: pregnant lady problems

My boys are 8 and 9 and all I do is make sure they have a clean towel and remind them to wash with soap and to wash all the important parts. I’m not in there with them. They started really doing everything by themselves around 7 to 8.

My 6 year old takes his own showers. I start it for him and remind him all the areas to wash. I occasionally poke my head in to see if he needs help. But normally he’s fine on his own. When he’s done he turns the water off gets out and gets dressed… he’s super independent though. His 4 year old sister on the other hand is not that independent.

1 Like

My son was 4! I would leave the door open and just check on him periodically.

2 Likes

My 10yr old son and 12yr old daughter both bathe themselves. My 7yr old and 5yr old I wash their hair and watch them wash.

My son started to bathe and do that on his own around 4 years old , he is 7 now .

My son is 8 he showers himself but I still wash his hair as he can’t get all the shampoo and conditioner out.

You need to let him bathe by himself

7 Likes

My son is 5 and 1/2 and can do it all himself

1 Like

My boy just turned 7 and he can bath alone, but he usually still wants me to sit on the toilet and talk with him about his day or play eye-spy. He makes a huge mess with the soap and pretending to swim so I like to sit in there with him lol. If I’m busy I will leave the door open and keep checking on him.

My daughter was about 5, I’d still go in and make sure her hair was fully rinsed but that was it.

My son is 7 and he’s been doing his own shower for at least a year now. He knows I will smell his hair so he’s pretty good at getting it done.

My 3yr old and 5yr old have showers alone. Or together and i can leave them once ive washed them. But i still always sit in there when in a bath. I also have a 2yr old . So have to watch him as he thinks standing in the bath is so much bloody fun lol

I think it’s not as bad in a shower a tub you have to worry about drowned and it happens quick

About 6. I remind them as they are getting in the order parts get washed. Face, neck, arms, etc. I put soap on the washcloth for them. Then I help with their hair. They call me when they are ready to start their hair, and I go back in.

My daughter will be 4 on the 26th and she baths herself with the help of me rinsing shampoo out of her hair. She even helps me bathe her 7 month old sister lol

My 3 year old can wash himself I just have to help him with putting soap on his hands when he can do that like a normal person instead of dumping it all on his hands he will take it completely by himself

My son’s allergic to water lol he’s six and it’s a battle everyday just to get him in there.

1 Like

My son just turned 5 and hes been taking a bath or shower himself since he was 3 and a half hes very independent and i would still check on him every 5 minutes in the beginning

My 3 (almost 4) year old and 6 year old boys shower together and unsupervised. Big brother helps little brother with his hair and they both know how to wash their own bodies.

My kid is 5 and takes showers.

I think 7 is a good age to start showering alone.

I sit in with my 2 & 4 year old kids, but trust my 4 year old enough to be able to leave the room for a minute if needed. Accidents happen and can happen quickly so I’m always close by. But I think 8 is definitely old enough to bathe alone.

My oldest is 9 and I still check in on him because he’s afraid to be alone. But he takes showers and the curtain is closed. He’s made alot of progress he used to be afraid of the water period, and now I just pop in about every few minutes and ask how he’s doing and that’s that.

About 5 or so…however I kept the door open and was in earshot of the bathroom…have 3 sons and no issue for me doing it the way I did.

1 Like

My son is almost 7 and hes been showering himself for a year, I just continuously pop my head in to make sure hes actually bathing himself and not just playing. My daughter is 5 and does it by herself mostly too but I sit on the toilet with her to keep a closer eye on her cause shes younger but shes usually fine. Like most things I think it’s all kid dependent.

My almost 6 year old will do it all herself. But I won’t let her multiple times in a row before I make sure her hair gets a good scrubbing.

My 6&7 year old boys bathe alone, I always go in when they finished to make sure they wash shampoo out of their hair properly as most times it’s still in their hair :joy:

My 7 year old bathes herself. I wash her hair at the end… We are in the process of her learning how to herself. I still bath my 2 yr old. She gets up and tries to run. If she was tamer I would leave her alone

At 8 u can allow him to bathe himself and simply knock on the unlocked door to check on him

4 Likes

My daughter was 3 and now my daughter let’s her son who is 3 take a bath by himself. They can wash their own nether regions by themselves. Wash and or rinse their hair for them and let them play for a while. Help them get out and you put lotion on them. All by themselves maybe 7 or 8 they will still have a hard time getting out all of the conditioner out of their hair. My daughter had trouble at 11 getting it all out. She has finally learned at 32 though.lol

2 Likes

My children were taking showers/baths by themselves by the time they were 5

1 Like

My daughter’s are 8 & 6 they both take showers themselves i just help rinse their hair at the end. I still sit in the bathroom with my almost 3 year old son.

1 Like

I believe this is a very difficult one to say when is the right age. It depends on the capabilities of the individual child. X

7 Likes

I shampooed my kids heads and backsides and they washed their fronts by the time they were 3. LIke Louise Butler commented, it all depends on the child’s capabilities. They started washing their front sides when they were 2 years old, of course while I was in the room with them

My son is pretty modest and started wanting privacy around 5 so he showered himself then. He is 10 now and I still do the smell test when he gets out because he will be in the shower for 30 minutes and not use soap. Boys!

3 Likes

My granddaughter is 3 and showers by herself.

My 9 year old showers by herself, my 6 year old can bathe himself but needs my help washing his hair but likes my company even if he just ignores me the entire time playing lol

My daughter is three I was her hair and she washes her body then after she is rinsed off I leave her to play as long as she wants she knows when she’s done playing pull the tub stopper

1 Like

Every single bath time now, my sons four next month, he climbs in with my help always, as even as an adult it’s so easy to slip, I say “what’s the rule of the bath” he says no standing. Then ill stau upstairs putting washing away etc… He washes himself or ill do his hair and get him out… So he’s kind of alone but not really. He’s getting very like old though as he likes his privacy which Is why iv started backing off a bit xx

I think mine were 7 when they bathed alone. I checked to make sure they washed their neck etc…

my daughter is 11 and showers/bathes on her own. my 7yr old takes baths, he is at the age where he can do it himself but for safety i stay within ears reach. Everyone’s kid is different, i don’t think there’s a right age necessarily.

How stupid can one be to ask a question like that? You watch your 8 year old bathe? Stick his ass in the shower . He will be the most inept adult if you keep micro managing. So what if his ass stinks after a shower. Tell him to go back and start over.

3 Likes

My daughter is 6. I wash her hair, and watch her wash her body and then I leave while she has Fun lol this has been our routine since she was 4. She’s always hated us being in the washroom with her.

My 13 son does everything himself and we had the talk about everything.
My 11 year old daughter does the washroom stuff herself and asks me for help if she needs and isn’t embarrassed or scared to ask me.
My 5 year old son, I help him get the water set and help him into the bath water and help wash his hair, his neck and back and he does the rest. Than plays and pulls the plug when he’s done and I help dry him up and put PJ’s on.
My 2 year old I still help him with everything.

1 Like

Mine started when he was 4 because he said I washed him too rough, but I had to actually wash him mostly and just let him wash himself where I’d apparently not been gentle enough under supervision. By the time he turned five I could trust him to wash his hair, pits, privates, and piggies.

I sat with my son until he was no longer comfortable being naked in front of mom. And was able to fully wash the soap out of his hair… he was 6 or 7 maybe… he took showers, not baths.

My 8 and almost 7 year old daughters shower alone. I taught them how at 5.